At what age did you learn to drive and how difficult was the process? Feel free to include the car you started on too

At what age did you learn to drive and how difficult was the process? Feel free to include the car you started on too

honda civic
not difficult

I think 7 or 8 on a lawn tractor. I don't know if that counts.

And then to practice for the driving test a 90s Buick LeSabre. I remember it being scary to hit 40MPH lol. Just took being being put in the driver's seat, expected to not fuck it up, and some helpful tips when I did something wrong.

Learned to ride dirt bikes at 6, ran into the slide on our playground thing first ride. Shit sucked. Drove my mom's anniversary edition z28 at 14 with her, learned stick and just drove around lots. Started proper learning in the SHO they got after the z28. First car was a lumina from my grandparents that died in 4 months, so I worked and saved up for a 944 S2.

Shitbox 1992 Ranger w/ V6 4.0l Cologne engine making a whopping (((155 hp)))

30 minute of stalling and having no idea what I was doing. The rest was smooth sailing.

Learned to drive at age 18 or 19 (late as fuck, I know) and I only really started to get my license when I realized 99% of women don't wanna date a guy without a car, and that I couldn't really go away for college without a license, never mind a car.

It wasn't too hard I guess, parallel parking gave me a bit of trouble until one day it "clicked" in my head. Learned on mom's Nissan Versa hatchback.

I was 13. Dad bought a piece of shit Taurus and taught me how to drive it. Had to get used to the brakes and accelerator but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

Getting on the highway was an ass sore though, but I kept my composure.

7, tonykart cadet with 80cc comer engine

16 officially, not hard at all
learned with the family's 3 cars as well a instructor's car
Saturn L200
Saturn Vue
Chevrolet Venture
and a Mitsubishi Galant from the driving school
L200 was a tank, Vue was a decent AWD crossover with typical chevy interior deterioration, the Venture had a lemon engine but the cargo capabilities and the air ride rear suspension was godly.

manual volvo 240 wagon

got my P plates on my 17th birthday, I learnt on a Honda CR-V though

t. ausfag

14 when I got my learners. I started in our 1990 Dodge Ram, then our 1993 Nissan Axxess.

The """""driving school's""""" shitty 1st gen Echo hatch
My mom's Chrysler Pacifica

Easy as fuck, loved it, proceeded to stop once I got G2 because NEET and still can't afford insurance.

cheeky bump

instructor's lancer, dad's pathfinder

it was pretty simple but it was tedious here in australia and it's gotten more tedious since

Amerifat (one of the few skinny ones)

Started driving at 16.

took drivers ed when I was 15

Got Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 for my birthday. Killer machine for a teenager! Thanks dad.

The state of Pennsylvania requires new drivers to have a learners permit for 6 months and log a certain number of hours (I forget how many) before you can take the test for a license.

Did most of my practice with my mom, helping her run errands, etc.

My dad was a bro about it and let me drive on my own sometimes, if I promised to be really careful.

Driving tests in the US are pretty easy, but if you're young, they usually find a reason to fail you on the first try. I got mine on the second try.

29, wasn't too hard. Failed the test 3 times though.

14? Damn, the thought of Sam Weir driving a Dodge Ram kinda scares me.

17 (Germany)

Took my dad a sunday morning to teach me starting with a stick shift, then the same afternoon at some lonely parking lot for the handling.

When I entered driving school a couple of days later I already knew the basics.

So after all it was pretty easy. Ok; I stalled the engine about a dozen times that morning, but after I learned where the pressure point of the clutch was, it made *click* and I got it

>At what age did you learn to drive and how difficult was the process? Feel free to include the car you started on too

I was about 12y.o.,

The car was old 4x4 with MT, first lessons were in a field, it was literally very big field without anything but short grass.

It was easy.

Also I learned to ride motorcycles when I was ~10y.o.

I was 18 when my grandma started to teach me to drive on her old Chevy blazer

My parents had been promising for years to teach me to drive but never did so I finally asked my grandma to show me how

23 (25 now)
Fiat Punto
Wasnt that hard. Passed on the first try. Had no real experience earlier.

18 which is relatively late in Germany
VW Polo mk6 (or 5, I'm not sure)
I had a few problems with the clutch in the beginning, so shifting wasn't all that smooth

12 in a bedford J2 pickup with a 307 chevy in it. Looked sorta similar to pic. Did my first burnout in it, 13 years old I'd tow my father's boat to the launch ramp in it.

When I turned 13 I used pocket money to buy a 1984 mr2 which my father helped me race prep, by 14 I was doing amatuer rally in it. I rode 2 wheelers for a long time before that though, probably since 10? when I was tall enough to use a full size 2 stroke. I'm a tall fucker so was able to reach shit early on.

16, Honda CR-V. Not difficult at all, nice car to learn on

17. Three on the tree HZ Kingswood. Cuntmobile. Passed, but.

18, 1995 Opel Corsa. Had some troubles with the clutch but that was expected, also with the gears but that's because the gearshift was extremely vague. Other than that it was an easy car to learn on, easy to manoeuver and great visibility. But it was a gutless ugly unreliable piece of shit (was already leaking oil even though it just had 60k kms) so I got rid of it as soon as I got my license.

16. 1997 honda CRV,
had to teach myself everything exept the inital idea of letting out the clutch and gas. it sucked at the start not understanding why the car struggled etc. initally i was left foot braking and keeping the right foot on the accelerator, i only stopped when i wondered why the right edge of the brake pedal was worn but the other wasnt.

still passed all the driving tests first go tho

I came in karts

drove my moms car to school everyday which was awful because my mom wouldnt shut up and i had 3 friends in the back everyday

then a prius when doing my 6 hours

i was super nervous when driving before i got my license and was too nervous to drive my own car for a few months.
now i drive with my feet and hit 50 in school zones

First vehicle i ever learned to drive was a Massey Ferguson 1976 tractor, i was 12 when i first grabbed the wheel and oh boy was it alot of fun to drive that, we still have that tractor.

wow are you me

12 here, on my brother's civic

easy
a Toyota corolla

Stole my brothers 72 Chevelle and took it for a joyride while he was sleeping. He ended up finding out, took me to a field and taught me how to drive. Spent the day doing donuts in an orange grove. I miss the 70s.

>10
>ATV and /org/ shit + track
>ez
>15
>dad driving lessons wit v10 touareg
>hard
>16
>driving lessons + liscence w citröen c4 + touareg
>instructor was an yelling russian man
>18
>full liscence
>failed total of 15 times across all tests
>24
>started racin cars
>hardest yet

Not difficult. Driving school used manual transmission from the 1st lesson here in Germany.

We were also required to go over 200 km/h or 125 mp/h at least once by the driving instructor.
That was a bit unnerving for the first time.

I rarely drive over 180 km/h now.
170-180 is a comfortable speed.

That's pretty neat. Closed course or are you in one of those fancy locations where speed limits don't apply?

I heard stories of the olden days where they used to make you get up to speed and then arbitrarily hit a button to deflate one of your tires so you'd learn how to handle a blowout. That's also a very good idea imo. Knowing how to react in an emergency takes practice, and probably at some point you're going to need to perform an emergency maneuver. Why not make learning how to control your car in a big empty parking lot standard instead of something you have to do before somebody calls the cops on you?

Started taking my moms car out around 12 or 13. Her boyfriend took me to drive around 9 or 10 but I almost crashed so that stopped. That was a Mazda 626. My older brother ruined it so I got my own car when I was 19 and learned how to drive correctly then.

Where I live I don't need a car or have to drive.

It was on the regular Autobahn with traffic, which mostly doesn't have speed limits outside of cities. You can drive 300 km/h if you want to.

The instructor's sound logic was that he'd rather have us drive that fast for the first time with an instructor present, than alone.

I think I went 210 km/h.

Nowadays I rarely go above 180 km/h because of diminishing returns. You save maybe a few minutes but the increased demand for attention and concentration doesn't make up for it.

P.S.:
>I heard stories of the olden days where they used to make you get up to speed and then arbitrarily hit a button to deflate one of your tires so you'd learn how to handle a blowout. That's also a very good idea imo. Knowing how to react in an emergency takes practice, and probably at some point you're going to need to perform an emergency maneuver. Why not make learning how to control your car in a big empty parking lot standard instead of something you have to do before somebody calls the cops on you?
Did not do that but I agree it is a very good idea.
If I have some spare cash some day, I'm investing in advanced training.

15, manual Subaru Legacy. Not hard at all. Easiest and most predictable clutch I've ever used.

What Gen pathfinder?

14 years old (19 now)
My mom's 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
It was kinda hard but that's because I wasn't that tall and that car was not built for short people
I learned standard a few months ago with my miata, still need to work on a few things but I pretty much got it

14 on a 89 dodge Dakota 5 speed. ABS stopped working, power steering was starting to go bad and It had worn to shit tires, but I got most of the principles of driving down within a few months. Never learned parallel parking though, they didn't even test that on my test though. Haven't had to do it yet, I'll figure it out when I get there I suppose

>golf carts and atvs
Easy
>regular cars
14 in a 5 speed sonoma
Pretty easy took a little to learn clutch
>tow trucks
F650 with a 21ft bed to cabovers with 19ft beds
Way easier than you think but fuck 650s can't turn for shit
>motorcycles

I was 15 and I learned on a Nissan Cube, kek
Wasn't really that bad at all, only stupid thing I did was almost crash due to checking out a qt 3.14 in the other lane

I probably knew how to drive before leaving elementary school
At 14 I was racing electric karts, at 15/16 I drove a street car for the first time, at 20 I drove a manual for the first time
There wasn't really any process, I just did it

Another Honda CRV here, kek. (18)

Age 17
Driving School's Mk5 Golf
Pretty easy I guess, took the minimum required amount of lessons (Germany, have to do at least 14 I think) over a period of 3 months. Passed the written and practical tests first try.

I know plenty of people who took 20+ lessons and had to try 2-3 times on their tests so I guess I'm fucking amazing.

started off on atvs
at 12 i started driving 10 miles to the bus stop every day in a chevy conversion van because farm town

>18
>the minimum age to be legally driving on your own in Germany
>"relatively late"
wot

I know people in their mid-late 20s who don't have a license.

18-ish? My family never had much extra money so I never had an ATV or go-kart or motorcycle like most people apparently had to learn on and I didn't get to drive because if I fucked up the car, my parents couldn't work and we'd starve.

Learned originally on a third gen Dodge Caravan which sucked because I'm a manlet who could never get the seat adjusted properly and wasn't comfortable with this gigantic fucking box with horrible rear visibility and "somewhere between here and Neptune" corners and front bumper and the tall center of gravity was fucking terrifying when driving around on dusty backroads with no guardrails and a death-drop just off the gravel shoulder. It also understeered like a pig which was just as terrifying.

Later bought a normal FR sedan and found it much more comfortable to drive and predictable when doing so and that solved a lot of issues with nervousness while driving. Still have recurring nightmares where I'm driving a car and coming up to a stop light/sign and my brakes completely fail and I go right past it and get broadsided by a semi, though. Those are fun.

>be me
>live in a big brazilian city
>legal age is 18
>i'm not 18
>no way to avoid patrols with parent's renault

i'm a shame.

Easy as shit
Learned on family cars
08 Outback
07 MDX
17 Red Sport 400

I'm still 16

Started on my mom's 07 Jetta but I really learned in a 09 MINI Cooper. Sucks cause I'm terrible at driving big vehicles.

That's the age everyone starts.

21. Just learned last year. First and only car has been a Nissan Xterra

8 or 9 on a go cart, if that doesn't count my mom's explorer at 13

Didn't learn to ride a motorcycle til I was 28 though.

14, dads s550

Started riding quads at 12 or 13.
Started driving my Dad's truck off road at about 14 or 15. 94 Toyota 22re Pickup
Got my license and actually learned to drive on the road at 18. Used my 85 Supra.

Riding the quad was slow at first, gradually got much better. (And way more dangerous too in hindsight.)

The truck was a stick, and I couldnt work the clutch well at all. I destroyed that poor thing. I feel bad for it.

The Supra I learned fairly quickly on how to drive and had no issues after about week 1. Took about two weeks to be able to hold the clutch on a hill without stalling, though.

Not hard, but parking was a bitch for me
2011 Tundra crew cab

Mum let me sit on her lap and steer around the block when I was 5. It was an automatic, so that's basically the same thing as driving.

15, 1985 300ZX 5-speed

Must be tough being able to drive at 16 but don't know anything about rules.

2004 Ram 1500
First Car I learned to drive stick on:
Also 15
2003 Honda Accord 5MT
Starting and stopping was fun, but other than that pretty easy.

>cont.
If we're talking anything with wheels I learned how to drive lawnmowers at 8 or 9.
The Ram was good because it taught me about spatial awareness early on. The accord was good because Honda shifters and clutches are nice and smooth.

banned

18. My grandpa's car was completely beaten up, flat tires, rust, bad exhaust, bad sparkplugs, no motor oil, broken windshield. Had to restore it in one summer, changing the oil, brake fluids, cooler, and my dad never trusted me into using his 105hp car because I'm a clumsy faggot.

a twingo
easy

17 in a 2008 dodge avenger. It was hard at first cause I have Adhd but I can do it easily now.

12 or 13
First drove a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and remember thinking "This isn't very fast" then switching to a 2008 Toyota Corolla S, hitting the throttle thinking "Oh fuck this is much faster" lol.

As far as the process, pretty easy, only drove around the neighborhood but yeah.

All these americans thinking they started driving young. Truth is, they probably dont know how to drive yet.
Friendly reminder that autotragic is not driving, its just steering.

17.5 because California.
Rode quads and bikes since like 8, so I already knew the basics of weight transfer and drifting, which led me to hooning my s10 on dirt roads more then actually learning road laws.

For some reason I found the process of learning how to drive incredibly difficult and it really took me a long time to get decent. I was 18.

To add to this: I'm not stupid. I'm in university studying mathematics, but I've had trouble with stuff like this since I was a kid. Couldn't tie my shoelaces until I was 12. Couldn't ride a bike until I was 8. And I still can't catch a ball thrown my way.

First time behind the wheel I was probably 7 or 8 in my dad's '73 El Dorado.

Actual driving was 15 in a CRV
>dat mom car life through highschool

First time I drove my Dad's 1989 Corolla, almost ran over someone while going in a neighborhood. The guy had to jump onto his car to avoid me, it still hurts to think about it.

23, not that difficult as I'd had a motorcycle for three years previous to that so I knew all the road rules, had the 'crystal ball' of knowledge etc.

First car I ever drove was a second gen Ford Festiva, did most of my learning in a 2015 ish Suzuki Swift though.

Both were manual.

Transitioning from two wheels to four hasn't been too hard desu, the only thing I struggled with was treating the car like a bike at times.

different manual cars
Fucking easy, except for controlling a drift in a FWD car.

17, in a silver version of pic

I tried about a year earlier but my older sister is a moron and they make lousy instructors; Scared the shit out of myself from driving. Finally got curious enough balls to lift my dad's keys and stole the car, taught myself just from observational memory.

I totaled the same car about a year later when I got shitfaced drunk.

lmao
>drift
>fwd
stop with the forza kid

>controlling a drift in a FWD car.
>drift
>FWD
What

18 in my dad's f150 it wasn't that difficult started in a parking lot in the parkway then drove home from there