Smog advice!

Allright Veeky Forums so I've purchased my first shitbox (Nissan Silvia S12 hatch) and I need this thing to pass smog. High HC's and high O2. So far I'm doing this

>Timing set to factory specs
>Pulled exhaust to replace cat (was fucked already)
>crimped plug wires to prevent misfires

What else should I do? It has EFI btw.

>inb4 Alabama best state no smog Alabama best, California? more like cuck hahahaha bad state I love Alabama

Alabama a shit.
Florida master race.

>letting people tell you what you can do to your own property to use in public places
It's like you don't have any self determination.

Bump

Replace the plugs, get a new ignition coil, repalce your O2 sensors and MAF sensor

More like Cuckifornia amirite

Seriously though make sure spark plugs are good or the engine could misfire.

Is there a way to test o2 sensors? I only have one after the exhaust manifold before the cat.

>Florida master race
don't kid yourself. it's a nice state in terms of freedom with your car but for the love of god I CANNOT find a decently curvy, long, empty road to actually have fun in, it's all just straight roads and highways. I fucking hate it

t. south florida fag

multimeter can confirm that the voltage is changing in response to throttle input but that requires a bud and actually knowing how to into multimeters

This shit is why I want to move out of this fucking state. But where else am I gonna have the same kind of freedoms with my car.

>High HC's and high O2.
unburnt fuel.

Ignition (misfires) or running way rich due to fucked up MAF / O2 sensor?

Replace spark plugs, high tension wires. That's a must.

check/replace distributor cap, ignition coil.

replace O2 sensor, check/replace MAF.

If all that doesn't help check fuel injectors, check fuel pressure

You just haven't looked

Nice meme car OP enjoy your 90hp corolla haha.

I wonder the same thing, user

where could this possibly be? I live in the suburbs but even when I try to reach out and explore some backroads all the ones I find are pretty shitty for different reasons

> where could this possibly be? I live in the suburbs but even when I try to reach out and explore some backroads all the ones I find are pretty shitty for different reasons
Mandarin road in Jacksonville. It's really not that great. It's technically a "residential area" and it's always crowded. The speed limit is way too low.
But it makes for some nice cruising at night and it is a pretty nice drive.

Which engine?
Turbo or no? if no then waste spark or single spark?
Mechanical timing or electric.

These cars are very advanced electronically for the time, but sensor resolution and ECU tables so limited that typically any one failure represents as vague symptoms that are hard to track down.

Items to check : you are running rich, the first thing i would check is thermostat : they tend to stick open, Go for the 88C (cold weather) thermostat to get a slightly cleaner burn.

While you are there, replace the Cylinder head Temp sensor since its in a similar location on all the engines offered. (the dual wire one, the single wire only works the instrument cluster, not ecu) almost all fuel mapping for this car runs off this sensor, if its not working, your A/F is totally fucked.

Cap and Rotor + wires and plugs. These are cheap and no reason not to replace them. I have had issues with the rotors in the past breaking contact randomly internally.

IF you replace the coils : use OEM nissan coils. They spark hotter and tend to just work well, and are super cheap at yards. If its old enough that it has oil filled coils they might even just give you those for free.

then look at the MAF : if its not functioning as some suggested... you will know it : the car will run rich, bellow black/grey smoke, and be super slow limiting revs to maybe 3.5 to 4 K. Its its *spray fuel and limp home* mode.

then start looking at other things like the Optical Hall sensor in the dizzy if its electronic timing.

Check the TPS sensor, if its out it can prevent the EGR from functioning OR cause it to always remain open.

the O2 Sensor is barely used in the car, and per the FSM after 320km you just unplug the "sensor" light from the dash to keep it from coming on again

The ECU diagnostic mode is just an advanced continuity check. As long as the sensor reports some value, the ECU accepts it as "working". Diagnostic modes 1-2 are A/F trim. 345 are running errors, stored errors, etc.

also for the timing, it varies wildly depending on your timing advance method.

Mechanical timed cars run at 2* to 6* BTDC

Electronically timed cars run at 13*-17* BTDC.

If you set a electronic timed car to the mechanical specs it will run and drive pretty much okay, and actually runs better at idle, but significantly worse after 4k if its twin spark. But since its firing so late, and flame propagation so slow in this engine its wasting a ton of fuel and spitting out unburnt and partially burnt fuel.s

>Tfw live in Michigan on west side of state
>Tfw hilly and curvy
>Tfw cops near my university don't ever go on curvy hilly road at night @ 3am
>Tfw car club has unofficial races on the road
>Tfw my life became Initial D shortly after
Anime is real Veeky Forums

>not living in glorious mountain state of montana with all the white people and no inspections or emissions

I don't understand how you guys are subjected to these meme smog tests. I live in Massachusetts and my de-catted 90 Miata with an insanely rich fuel table for massive popping/backfire that reeks of fuel and other noxious fumes doesn't even get tested in one of the most liberal states in the country

>Having to put a 30 year old car through emissions

Even though california is the by far the worst state in the entire country, you should at least be able to find a mexican car mechanic you can bribe to pass your car.

>going to uni
you done fucked up dagumi

17 is pretty nice if you want to head north in terms of scenery, but it's mostly straight. A lot of bikers head south down to Crescent City through this road on weekends.

There's a couple roads up north, and some very close to my house that have some small S turns that I open up on when I'm heading home.

My favorite to drive down is near Penney Farms since the trees hang over the road so on a cool day it's nice.

There's the legendary Wallace Branch road in Plant City, although it's not particularly long.

I'm pretty sure I've hooned through there

I live less than six miles from it so I know many who have