Best Racing engines ever

I'll start
>1200 HP 2.6L

daily reminder there are no good V8 racing engines, obsolote and pigfat

Na v8 beat ecoboost shit last year at le mans

/thread

918 spyder is a v8. So is the ferrari 458.

Gt40 race car

the cosworth was good but the offy had it beat. But they kept restricting the boost the offy's could run.

This was done to attract more european interest in the 500 in the 70's

I would say this was another amazing engine.

Go tell that to the V8 trophy trucks and boats that race and win.

Honda RA168E
>1.5L V6 twin-turbo
>504kW @ 12500rpm at a boost pressure of 2.5 bar
>reliable and fuel efficient
>dominated the 1988 F1 season
As a related note, the previous RA166E and RA167E engines did have more power though, due to the higher boost pressures allowed; 4bar in 1987 and as far as I know, unlimited in 1986 when they were making 1000-1200hp in qualifying trim from 1.5 litres.

>anything better than ford DFV
are you literally retarded? the DFV dominated F1 for like 20 years

The new LMP2 spec engine is gonna end up on the list eventually.

Anybody know why these desert trucks run V8's? Is their restrictions on forced induction? Or are the giant V8s the only motors that can survive such harsh conditions?

the current McLaren Honda f1 power unit

tough as shit and parts fucking everywhere

Because no-one gives a shit about desert trucks and there's a much larger aftermarket for domestic V8 parts.

It's crazy how much performance and reliability you can extract when you're not limited to OEM castings. Also comparatively its super cheap to developing a bespoke engine program which is only within reach for major car manufacturers (f1, DTM etc.)

Holy shit this thread about racing engines has gone 15 posts without someone mentioning the rotary.

As such, the best racing engine ever is the 787b's R26B.

> BMW M10
> 1,5L 1400 HP
> 4 Banger

came to post this.

I remember reading stories about how they came to the track with a complete engine solely meant for qualifying, then they'd basically run it at such high boost that it self-destructed but managed to set a really good lap time. After qualifying the'd swap in a completely new engine.

literally every team did that. they would toss the entire engine/trans combo after qualifying. back when you could do anything for qualifying and could use extra sticky tires

And back then they also did engine swaps mid race, they would go from the "normal" pressure engine to a grenade running 5-6 bars that would last for two or three laps

Don't forget the turbos that lasted for an out lap, a hot lap and an in lap :)

>930 hp/liter
holy fuck

also, this

Most engines would blow before the fuel mapping was even complete.

>1200 HP
literally for 5 minutes and then needing a teardown

>thinks it's a ford
lol americans
calle

ferd stronk

cosworth*