/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Angband
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

tf2 is a roguelike

Now that we've adequately summarized the entirety of last thread let's leave it there and have a happy and new thread, free of all previous arguments or discussions.

A game is not a true roguelike unless your character is a rogue.

No games are roguelikes since they have an on/off mode. A hypothetically "real" roguelike would be eternal and unstoppable.

A game is not a roguelike unless it is in fact Rogue, but the name has been changed.

All games can be roguelikes. Whether one is or not depends on the player.

I think at this point we need to have a serious discussion about what the word "like" means in the context of one thing being "like" another.

Rogue, in fact, cannot be a roguelike because it IS Rogue.

Will you make me a roguelike?

you already are one

Ah, it is exactly like Rogue except for the name. Therefore, it is not Rogue because it is not named Rogue, and it is as similar to Rogue as possible without actually being Rogue. Therefore, it is the pinnacle of Roguelikes, and we here at Roguelike General should never play anything but re-named Rogue, lest we stray from the true tradition of the genre.

is blush a rougelike?

Well this thread is off to a good start.

give me an orb man

Ok let's stop shitposting now.

Never

what rogue is this

The hats are in a different menu so it's not truly a roguelike.

Amazingly Wondrous Orifices of Oddness, also known as AWOoO

Awooo

We shitposting now?

DELETE
THIS

to summarize last thread properly we also need to post about dragons :3

Holy fuck. Explain

en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Angband

tldr it's where your ocular nerve attaches to your eye
since it's nerves rather than photoreceptors, you can't see anything
the brain is really good at filling stuff in so most of the time you don't notice, plus you have two eyes

I choose multi-track drifting, destroying the empty trolley and resulting in no casualties.

also proof that intelligent design dont real because it's an extremely retarded design with no actual benefits -- octopodes evolved eyes independently and they don't have this problem at all because their nerves just go BEHIND the retina

#demigod pryde world wyde

>the brain is really good at filling stuff in

>there are people whose brain hemispheres are severed and incapable of communicating
>most do not notice oddities
>specialized tests are required to show that the hemispheres have separate functions and can't actually communicate in some different way
>somehow the hemispheres coordinate movement and decisions just fine, without exchanging any information
It's amazing how different cognition is to what it looks like from the first person.

I will ride a big truck (firetruck) and simultaneously run over 11 people bec. earth is very big and can only handle small populations.

>get all 15 runes
>haven't found a single (ONE) [1] wand of digging the entire game

nice fucking rng

Just use shatter lmao

Balrog berserker feels pretty mindless.

>Go upstairs on slime 5
>10 fucking golden eyes
>Get perma confused
>Die
>Just find out Cure potions remove confusion

>filename
Is that your fetish?

you got to slime 5 without knowing that cure potions cure confusion?

You're not the only one who's done that, but I still don't understand how that's possible.

99% of the time, if I get a random status, I assume a potion of curing will cure it. I mean, shit, it's in the name: why would it only be useful for poisoning and rotting? In practice, yeah, cancellation is used for the nastiest statuses, but most of the time, you'll have a couple of leftover cure potions to at least test if there's a simple way to heal yourself.

I beat this piece of shit game 10 times without knowing that cure potions cure confusion.

"you are the polar opposite of compassion"

You know what's mindless? Magical items. They're no-brainers. Berserker cuts out such bloat.

Just tried one for the first time. It kind of felt like I was playing Progress Quest manually.

ded rogue

>He didn't learn how to fist the dudes with his new found head fists
Even a monster like you can fist.

I propose a naming convention:
A character in any singleplayer, grid-based, turn-based, procedurally generated game with permadeath and food clock will be referred to as "rogue" regardless of profession and race.

Ahoy page 10 - are you telling me no one wants to post in the early morning hours but me? This is proof NEETs are a vital resource to the health of /rlg/.

What should I grab for my second mutation as an archer? I've already got peerless sniper or whatever it's called. I was thinking potion chugger or speed reader.

i'm playing tome4 and you hate it

Potion Chugger is solid.

rogue

City of the Damned is fun and you should play it.

>Staff of Teleport explodes

I shouldn't have bet on using staff, I suppose.
Didn't help that I was a tonberry, too.

Can you stop the sidebar jumping from one side to another in Caves of Qud?
I can't find the option in the menu and it's annoying as fuck.

Yeah, I think it's something like turn on alternate hud or whatever. It's nearly as annoying though. Idk why they didn't just copy DCSS and have a dedicated space for messages.

Literally unplayable.

if i move the lever in any way then I'm responsible for the others dying but if I don't touch it at all then it's not my problem

>you miss
>you miss
>you hit but do no damage
>it is lightly wounded

It's not actually fun though.

Yeah but if you don't move the lever you won't get any XP

I will pull out my katana and slice the trolley in 3 equal parts, sending each one in a seperate direction and killing all 11 people. That way nobody can blame me why I let one person die and let the other live

What if one of the eleven people is your waifu?

then I'd save my waifu obviously
bad luck for those other guys

Are spellhunt remnants the best gloves for a brawler? They seem really strong but I also found sludegrip

Spellhunt remnants are fucking amazing and will remain relevant throughout the game because of the upgrade mechanic.

Wew the next boss also dropped flamewrought so I'm sitting with 3 unique gloves on a brawler now.
What is the upgrade mechanic? I'm assuming it has to do with it's ability to destroy arcane items and that will strengthen it. Haven't found any item that it can destroy yet even though I've been keeping all uniques

Obviously, if you knew where she was.
You're not allowed to choose the door that was opened.

>Only way to deal with ghost moths in spider:$ is to wear -4 boots of Sinv
>Only source of MR for elf is the hat of pondering
>Vaults' first room is guarded by a fire crab and I have RF-
>Depths is guarded by a fire giant

Well I'm gonna grab that goddamn spider rune at least

Screw that, they don't even have Sinv.

Fuck ghost moths seriously

>those shield sprites everywhere
PHOTOSHOP
CHEATER

It's more likely some weird refresh artifact from his sprite being larger than a square. You'll notice the shield pixels only linger over non-empty tiles- the water and spiderwebs.

>photoshop
Man, I wish.
I get those weird thingies all the times with this tile.

Spellhunt Remnants can be used to eat a higher-tier magical artifact - eat a t2 arcane artifact and they'll become a t2 item, and so on. You can "skip steps" if needed and feed t1 Remnants a t5 item if you choose; in any case the t5 remnants are almost certainly the best gloves for a brawler who's not attached to magic.

Oh hey. I only read about this super rare vault.

Well it'd be rude not to accept it.

DCSS question - what happens if I cast Orb of Destruction and Dithmenos' Shadow Mimic procs?

What do you think?

Do you think we could whip up some sort of anorexia-analogue therapy for DCSS devs to go through? Like, you're already a pretty girl. You don't need to keep doing this to yourself just to get thinner.

staff of teleport doesn't help against camelot knights anyways since they can follow teleports
you need wand of teleother to successfully ditch them

but for future reference you should *identify* your important devices -- only {cursed} ones explode, and you really don't want to be stuck with your only source of recall or tele suddenly gone

RIGGED

shadow mimic doesn't duplicate the actual spell, it just shoots a shadow projectile thing

>mumo
>in elf

>Really walk into that teleport trap?
>ye sure whats the worst that can happen?

werent you in this situation yesterday too
crawldevs are telling you to go play a deathsword

>IA
>occultist
>balls deep
>"oh man this floor is cleared and I got all these nice traits, spells and scrolls, let me just quaffID this potion"
>i'm confused!
>giant mantis shows up
>just can't walk straight to touch the stairs right by my side
>i am dead!

It's either clearing the fire dragon lair end, depths 1&2 with two (2) patrolling fire giants or vaults with a friendly fire crab or trying my luck in elf since abyss is out of my league right now

Yeah, last time I fell down a shaft. I expected it to be some kind of special weird bug.
Nope, teleport works too.

Also, do blademasters hit crazy hard or what

You live or what? I want to see you splat

What is the best way to id things in DCSS? Do you just try the things or wait until you have enough scroll of identification?

Do you have remove curse? Check things out in bulk and then simply remove curse.

Read-ID scrolls at the end of each level, use ID scrolls on potions, wait until I have at least one remove curse before trying jewelry.

>it's a hydras camping lair entrance and cyclops camping OM entrance with a long blade build episode

>tfw no hidra waifu(s?)

>he doesn't hunt for efreets/erica up to D:13

nerd

I keep splatting in IA but at least In reliably reach depth 10 now.
It's 30 levels deep, isn't it?

Nearing 40 iirc

Damn it.
That thing is brutal.

The wall collapses