Website Designers

Anyone here a web designer, or have worked with some before? I'm trying to make a website over here but the fucking thing won't look or act the way I want it to.

How much does it usually cost/how much time did your projects take to be done?

Pic unrelated.

I like your pic so checkout Upwork. Is your website for a business, potfolio or personel use? Wil it need to be changed often? I can make you one for like 100$-200$ if interested reply and well talk with throwaway emails.

My dad and sister are both web developers. They say it takes about a day to build a website. The rest is just maintenance -- posting new articles, data entry, etc.

What do they use for building it?

How much money do they make?

webdev fag here, also run biz selling websites and get students to sell to single moms trying to open a pottery studio or something equally retarded.

1. 2-6 hours
cheap af, easy quick: wordpress

2. 6 - 12 hours
bootstrap/foundation template, fill in shit with text images logo etc

3. 12 - 36 hours
same as 2 but with more basic javascript shit,
login, protected pages, contact forms, basic database

4. 36hours+
web app / complex full stack site
every time you make a website it gets faster and faster, these times are based on 6 year professional experience.

ill keep this thread open for a bit if you got questions

how much do you pay the students to find you business? a set fee or a %?

i'm going to get my shit together and in the next few months start trying to sell websites to local companies who haven't updated their websites in 3 or so years (or don't have one).

i was planning on doing some for companies i used to work for, so have a relationship with the owners and also offer a low price. then move onto trying to get more clients. i have a FT job so it is a part-time/side number.

what would you charge for #1,2 & 3 in your post? i can't see me needing to do anything more complicated than contact forms and email address databases. i am in a small city/large town in the UK, just for info.

I give them 10% when I'm paid or offer 5% upfront in cash when they get a sale
most take the 5% cause they impatient fucks.

1. 1 page, basic content for something like.. a bakery? 500$, if they want me to do updates, 25-50$ a month.
i usually charge fixed fees for other basic addons, contact form, gmaps of their business, etc all extra 50$. seems cheap to them, they don't realize how easy and quick.
extra pages are 100$ ea usually.

2. 1,200$ starting, similar setup to 1, especially with fixed addons, they add up quick.

3. 2,000$ to 10k, it's very hard to find people that can do logins and anything actually useful. use lots of free libraries and frameworks, I exclusively use oauth2 for this and advertise that, also shit like auto create account and login from fb is very nice and you can charge a lot

that is really useful, thanks.

i didn't consider having a basic price and then offering different add-ons as optional extras, i had just thought it would go in one pitch, but i can see things could be more convincing as addons if you explain separately why they are beneficial.

it is small businesses like cafes, plumbers etc that i'm looking at doing so that is great info.

yeah it's incredibly easy once you get started
hard part is first 5 websites, after that you have a portfolio and success stories to go on.

pic related, quotes like that are easy to sell, especially to small businesses looking for growth

I also now make more than my FT job as lead developer of healthcare software company (110k cad yearly before bonus)

plus if you get too much work you can out source to recent grads/students for half what you make, they get experience and will suck dick for 250$ cause >brokecollegestudent

after you built the site what do you offer/what is asked for?

If its wordpress I encourage them to update themselves and usually link them various tutorials plus will demonstrate by posting an example text post, image, video etc.

if they're technologically illiterate, I offer to post updates for them, maximum of 5 times per month for a monthly fee of 50$ usually.

if it's a custom built site I offer to install my own custom content management system I built which allows basic functionality of wordpress (post text image video etc, pulls from a database) but this is more costly to the client.

I really don't like dealing with clients after the website has been created and paid for, I'll often try and outsource this as clients tend to ask too much of me.

Make sure you have a good contract in place, I used a public one I found off google and modified for my business then paid a lawyer 100$ to look over and make his own adjustments.

A key aspect of my contract is very clear definitions of what I offer post contract, so if the client demands to have an entire section redone, more coding etc I can refer to the contract and state that I will do it for x amount of dollars.

If they try and be jewish or threaten to spread damaging propaganda about my business "he refused to do so and so do not go this vendor!!!" it's also covered in my contract which states some legal bs about negative comments and lawsuits which scares them off.

People will try and blame their failing business on you, protect yourself.

Thanks for your words of caution. I'm not doing this for a living, I considered it once, tho.

Why do you use a custom system over something like startpage. Is it because of lawsuits?

I can easily modify my system to be a custom solution designed for my client, which if they're a successful business means another 1 or 2k.

custom solutions are great cash, once made 3k for creating a simple quote calculator for a window and door company, took 30 mins, basic html form, make it pretty with a framework or semantic ui and then like 100 lines of javascript with their cost formula.

You got that going for you. I can't imagine, however, that small business here would need a site that give more information other than openings. This is why something like a facebook page would more than fit their need.

Most of my clients usually require some small addon that they need.

recently did one for a massage therapist and had one of those 'book your appointment' widgets, that plus hours of operation and a contact me was all they needed.

where do you host your stuff and what's your stack you are working with?

check out web dev general on /g/ for hosting sites
my company gave me a spare server which I host on.

for anything complex its usually MEAN due to how fast I can add basics like oauth2 and people are always amazed at the two way data binding

Probably wordpress, once you know it is pretty easy to update and manage

I'm gentooman.

Being surrounded by webdev friends here I wanted to ask my theories. How hard is custom "engine" site building?

I'd like a website which switches seamlessly between forum layout and imageboard layout, for starters.
My question is if it is possible to create a web dev build so powerful that you can code any type of site inside it without restructuring the code. From facebook to youtube to ebay.

Are these normal prices?

I've never done this entrepreneur thing before, and I like to just get shit done rather than price shop, but how do I know when a price is fair or if I'm being fucked?

What's an imageboard layout and what's a forum layout. Both are just a list of posts either with or without pagination.

That's undercutting my competition by roughly 15%

The key is to use modern tools to cut costs and time.

Wow that's pretty high for a poorfag like me. I doubt things are cheaper here in Canada.

yeah that's the thing with business services-
it's all tax-deductible so you can charge pretty much whatever you want and businesses will pay it without a second's thought.

This is also a pretty normal thing with people just starting out in business- sticker shock.

everything costs more.

I'm from Canada lol
Like said, you charge 10k cause it's a nice round number for accounting and they write it off regardless as business expense.

Any slightly-bigger-than-small to med size company wouldn't even blink at that price tag.

Thanks for the advice Veeky Forums buddy.
What are your client's usual preference in regards to website hosting though?

Do you offer them hosting with subscription through you? Or do your clients usually host themselves?

Nvm, I am obviously tech iterate and blind since I didn't see your reply here