I am getting a new from factory motorcycle but it's in a crate. How much of a pain is setting up one...

I am getting a new from factory motorcycle but it's in a crate. How much of a pain is setting up one? Is it mostly just slapping on wheels? Or will I have to actually put the top end of the motor on the bottom end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0STBzr75XzQ
chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032
vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=38467
aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/sumpheaters.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wheels, fluids, mirrors, windshields, maybe handlebars and accessories. Pretty easy.

yes, you have to assemble it from every single bolt

In all cases I've ever heard/seen...the stealership takes care of all that...

>but it's in a crate.
Why, was it made in china?

No its a 8 year old specialty bike that im buying from the west coast and I live on the east coast.

>125cc

Why?

>he doesn't know
that italian 125 pushes twice as hard as modern honda 700s

How so?
It makes 28nhp
even a shit heap like the cbr500 makes more power than that.

bullshit, a little 125 would be lucky to go over 60mph.

>500cc 45HP
>125cc 28HP

Gee, I wonder which one has a higher performance engine, not to mention the huge weight difference.

>youtube.com/watch?v=0STBzr75XzQ

they have been pushed to 70hp tho

and RS125's have been pushed to like 50-53hp. Of course it will hurt reliability but I am sure it would on the CBR500 as well.

No they have not lol.
28hp is about the limit for power in that size of engine.

Even a 300cc 2 stroke struggles to make 60hp.

I believe he was talking about the CBR500, also I think the KTM300's are pushing over 60HP now-a-days.

they make around 58 stock iirc and that is a very high strung engine, not much you can do to them to get more.

>tfw old school Aprilia RSA250 GP bikes would push 120HP at the crank with a top speed of 170mph

Its insane the shit they could squeeze out of these little engines.

THat was a letdown

Have you ever ridden a 2 stroke before? It fucking sucks on road, in Europe we start with 50cc i actually had the the aprilia rs and then I upgraded to Cagiva motor 2t 125, but it gets old really fucking quick.

Especially when the powerband starts at 8k rpm.

my 650 4 stroke was way fucking better all around

Yes, ive owned a lot of 2 stroke dirtbikes. I am buying this solely as a fuck-around bike. I would be surprised if I put 500 miles a year on it.

Fair enough then, I thought you were getting it to use as a daily main vehicle for traffic. good to trash them too, i seized a couple of pistons back then

How'd you manage to seize so many pistons? I thought the oil injection system helped with problems like that compared to premix

You're buying and shipping an 8 year old bike in a crate across the country just to fuck around on? Do you not have a craigslist?

Bought it second hand and didn't realise some faggot made a bunch of holes in the airbox for muh air and that fucked my mixture.

And I always used it hard anyway sometimes from cold, and I dunno about the new aprilia but my Cagiva Mito had issues with the pump as well that I could never completely fix

Dude there is only like 300 of these in the country, I have looked on craigslist and there is only 1 within 800 miles of me and it was set up as a track bike (and he only wants 1k less than the crate bike).

So yes, this is my best option.

What on earth makes a 125cc so special?

pretty sure all you have to do is put the wheels on.

Don't know about you but I can see the appeal of a stupidly light 125cc making good horsepower for a track or hoon bike.

Is it my cup of tea? No, but I wouldn't harsh OP for it.

Also OP, you won't be assembling the engine. Mostly just doing shit you would need to know how to do anyways on a 2smoke.

Good, I can handle most stuff, but if it was too the point I would be assembling the bottom end and shit I would probably reconsider the deal.

These things are so unreliable.

Just get your local deals to set it up.

Bullshit m8 mine has 12000km on the same top end

I wonder why this tech didn't translate into cars? How great would a 300cc car engine with like 70hp be? Pretty great I'd fathom

No idea I know there use to be 2 stroke Diesel engines used in transfer trucks

I thought it was illegal for dealers to sell crate bikes.

>In all cases I've ever heard/seen...the stealership takes care of all that...

Dealerships don't do shit.

Just as a general rule if you ever buy a bike new, the first thing you should do (or pay a trusted mechanic to do) is replace literally all the fluids and lube everything.

Bikes do not come from the factory properly greased and 99% of dealerships won't do it either as it results in parts wearing out faster and more revenue for them down the road.

Pull apart fucking everything that requires greasing, suspension components, swing arms, head stems, wheel bearings etc Clean and lube the chain, cables...the fucking works.

Take it to a proper mechanic, there's a lot more than just assembly that's required with a crate bike.

>I would be surprised if I put 500 miles a year on it.

LOL do you play on rebuilding it 50 times in that fucking year as well?

Do you even understand what you're buying?

The lack of torque would make the car unable to move.

Do you even understand what you are talking about? Recommended piston change is either 6000 or 12000km

Dealers charge hundreds to thousands of dollars for "assembly costs," so it must be a very long and complex process right?

That's nice, but as someone who's been racing two strokes since the 80's, including multiple RS125's and 250's I can tell you that's an absolute crock of shit.

Not to mention an 8 year old crate bike is going to need A LOT of work to even get it to the point of being able to be ridden.

Literally everything that's perishable will need to be replaced.

>since the 80s

Why are you on Veeky Forums grandpa?

Yeah dude that's why almost 90% of bikes are still working fine. Spooky straw man flyin in

So fluids and tires? Way to over exaggerate old man.

>Yeah dude that's why almost 90% of bikes are still working fine. Spooky straw man flyin in

Just because they're working fine, doesn't mean they're not prematurely wearing out components due to terrible lubrication. Head stems and suspension components being the two biggest problems.

Go and talk to literally any mechanic who's ever worked at a dealership and they'll tell you exactly the same thing.

>mfw i rode a 1970's 125 at over 100kph a few weeks ago

it didn't have much more to give but still, how fat are you?

Not that old fuck, but another old fuck who began riding in 1978 and wrenched before that.

Obtain the FACTORY service manual. Follow setup instructions.

Eight years old isn't shit. Ensure fresh fluids and do a decent visual inspection. I've been getting old gnarly two and four strokes running for customers for decades and sitting eight years doesn't require a total overhaul except if last owner left it outdoors in the weather to lock up.

Use ethanol-free gasoline. Follow break-in instructions and enjoy.

>Why are you on Veeky Forums grandpa?

I ain't a grandpa unless there's an extra unclaimed hapa or several in Korea and if so I don't want to know.

This is the internet. There is no age, gender or species restriction. What one encounters there is useful or not.

Have some wisdom of the aged:
No matter who you are, if you live long enough, you will look like my balls. Gender is no defense. Time + entropy = your face resembling my gnarled, veinous, pendulous, fragrant nutsack.

You can request from the dealer that your bike be delivered in the crate.

Yamaha YZ125 starts at 34 HP. KTM 125 makes high 30s.

Rsw125s make right at 50. Granted that is a full prep GP bike.

Spoooooky straw man

Don't ever... EVER put ethanol laced fuel into that thing. It will dissolve the float bowls in the carb with not-so hilarious results if you are on the highway at the time.

I bought mine to fuck around on, get it legally titled, etc. It was the most finicky, annoying 2stroke I have ever owned; it liked running even less than my TZ250.

Not too hard to get it "legally" titled too, if you need to know how....

Yea I am aware of how bad ethanol gas can fuck a high strung 2t engine.

Did you get yours titled? What made it so finicky? I know they are a lot more up keep than any 4t but I know that and as I have said, I am literally getting it to fuck around on.

>but it's in a crate
Doesn't necessarily mean it's not fully assembled.

I can't tell you what made the bike so damn finicky. I bought it brand new, though it had gas in it hence carb meltdown. Replaced the battery.
Still, it was hard as hell to start. My RS250 trackbike? Using my hand, one quick push on the kickstarter and she was running.
The RS125? You could crank and crank for 20 seconds and then it might sputter to life. But it won't stay running, you'll have to watch it until it gets some heat in it.

After the carb melted in mine, I replaced it with a 39mm flatslide, JollyMoto expansion chamber, and had it rejetted and set to run on 112 octane leaded fuel. Which was probably overkill, but it was easier for me to get that than anything else without ethanol. She still was finicky and hard to start.

I sold it shortly thereafter. It was a blast on the track though. Had it out @ Beaverrun and at NJMSP.

Titling is easy when you realize something: The type used on titles can be lifted off with scotch tape. It takes some time, and its tedious... but those words that say "off road use only" don't have to remain on that title...

Also, dunno what you paid for it in a crate.. I got mine brand new for $3500. Dealer didn't know what they had. Said they had another one in a crate in back at the time, I told them "I'll buy that one too if I can have it for the same price!"

And that was the point I think they began to realize how cheaply they were lettin' this go.

Yea thats similar to the route I was going to use, or a bonded title. Sadly my state (NC) is a bitch to get stuff titled in so I am hoping I can pull that off.

Strange you had such a hard time getting it to run, I havent heard of others having this much trouble. Luckily a place down the road from me sales 93 no ethanol fuel. These rednecks around here are religious about only using non-ethanol fuel in their small engines so its a good thing.

What's a bonded title?

>Strange you had such a hard time getting it to run, I havent heard of others having this much trouble.

Just unlucky on this one. And I was positive that this was gonna be my most trouble free two stroke since I was buying it new. Not so much. But very VERY far from the worst.

So hard to get all the way to the edge of these bicycle tires too. Was dragging knee all over Beaverrun that day breaking her in.

Look up title services.

I know there are some NCbros on Chop Cult:

chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

If you live reasonably near a small airport you can get leaded 100 octane avgas.

>The RS125? You could crank and crank for 20 seconds and then it might sputter to life. But it won't stay running, you'll have to watch it until it gets some heat in it.

You could do what private pilots do and preheat your engine.

vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=38467

There are a variety of preheater designs:

aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/sumpheaters.php

could OP say he built the bike himself? I mean he kinda is since its in a crate.

Nah. I'd use a bonded title or a title service since providing the paperwork and VISUAL INSPECTION for a self-constructed vehicle title can be awkward if DMV actually give a shit.

To get educated, visit chopper forums and look for special construction title info. The chopper community build more custom motorcycles and title them for street use than anyone else.

>buying a bike with an engine life of 500miles

Kek

You obviously know nothing about bikes.

All I had to do was show my DMV a pic of thw VIN# on my RS125, after showing them the title that was now coveniently sans "off road only" type.

What year was your TZ? I almost bought a TR3 a few years ago, wish I had just sprung for it.

Mine was a 1994. After I wrecked it @ pocono I rebuilt it with the ram air and drop-ass bodywork from the later 90's models.

Sweet!

How old are you?

Because the technology required to get a small engine to do that, throws reliability and durability out the window

No one wants to do a top end rebuild every other week, and bottom end rebuild every month.

40 in a few months.