Radar

Opinions on Radar Detectors? Are they worth the price? What is the best product out there?

Any stories to share?

I bought a car that actually can get me in trouble so I want to have some comfort.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_detector_detector
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends what the cops around your place use. The city cops use lidar so detectors are useless but the Mounties and Sheriffs still use radar, so they're good on the highways.

radar detectors illegal in my state

so I simply just don't speed, it's not hard

>Radar detectors
>Illegal

What kind of shit hole do you live in?

I've heard good things about the valentine line of radar detectors. Something like 3 miles ahead I guess.

Are you sure you don't mean radar jammers?

Use your eyes and a radar jammer. Disable the radar jammer once youve slammed the brakes to get your car from 120 to 35

Radar detector can detect from half a mile without direct line of sight. Why not just use that and not run the risk of getting caught with a jammer

Radar jammers are very illegal, and slamming on your brakes at 120 is a good way to get rear-ended

>slamming on your brakes at 120 is a good way to get rear-ended
That implies that someone is following you at 120 in which case you probably aren't the one getting pulled over

Or someone doing 70 changed lanes to let you pass and then got behind you again

In Netherlandistan radar detectors are legal to own but illegal to use. Cops that have radars almost always have radar detector-detectors here.

Traffic related fines are a form of taxes here anyway, our ministry of finance decides together with our ministry of "justice" how much fine money they want to get in a given year. It's one billion for 2017. Last year, 2016, there were 690.000 fines for 1 kph over limit, 19 euro per fine. Speeding is 10 euro per kph over limit plus 9 euro fees.

Yesterday it was decided they're going to fine motorcyclists whom have their number plate staggered instead of inline. Like many customs/cruisees have, at the side of the rear wheel instead of above it 230 eurobucks a pop (plus 9 euro administration fees)

Just get a radar detector with a radar detector detector detector to detect the detector detectors to prevent the detector detector from detecting your detector.

>getting rear ended while going 35 by someone going 120 is preferable to buying using a radar detector

Not him but virginia

Maybe they should try following distance

Radar jammers are illegal everywhere. Lidar jammers vary by jurisdiction. Radar and Lidar detectors also vary by jurisdiction.

You're an idiot.

A car going 70 mph takes about 3.5 seconds and 12 carlengths to stop. A car going 120 takes about 6 seconds and 36 carlengths to stop. Even if you slam on the brakes the moment you pass him, he could still just keep rolling along at 70 mph for a full 3 seconds and 24 carlengths, and STILL have the distance left to stop behind you.

>radar detector-detectors here.
It doesn't work that way. Radar detectors are passive receivers.

You might be thinking of radar jammers, which are active transmitters and very easy to detect, and also quite illegal everywhere.

I just watch the cars ~1/2 mile ahead and see if they slam on the brakes because of cops. However, my dad has a radar detector that he doesn't use, should I put it in my car?

>radar detector detector
Aren't radar detectors passive? How would you detect that?

Passport 8500 or gtfo

>You're an idiot.
That's not very nice, and 120/70 were just illustrative example speeds. I'd find two that actually lead to a collision but I don't feel like doing piecewise integrals right now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_detector_detector

>without direct line of sight
not sure you know how radar works.
without line of sight you dont have radar. you just have radio.

Thanks for linking the wiki link, I'm at work and couldn't respond to the user saying my RDD stuff is bs.

Some people get around it (maybe used to???) by saying its their parking sensors or some shit. It used to work as an excusr for a while

the cops can hide behind concrete structures
and detect on trailing rather than leading objects

Can someone explain these things to me I'm not understanding. They sense when a police radar gun is close letting you know so you should slow down?

I really doubt the radar detector detector, I think it's just FearMongering, any emission from the detector is going to be extremely minimal and definitely not detectable at a fucking mile.

>many early "stealth" radar detectors were equipped with a radar-detector-detector-detector circuit
does that mean i need a rader-detector-detector detector-detector for the current meta

>not having a full electronic warfare suite installed in your car

do you even pop chaff on the highway when you see a police car?

i have an RX 65 red and it works great

>if you dont know what kinda radar cops in your area use

>if you dont know the different types of radar that can be used

>if you do not understand the basic principles of radar and radio waves

>if you dont care to lean any of this stuff

then a radar detector isnt for you

also know that on the highways there are solar powered radar guns mounted to roadsigns that collect data on the general flow of traffic that will always cause falses

ALSO IF YOU MOUNT YOUR RADAR DETECTOR LOW ON YOUR WINDSHEILD YOU ARE AN IDIOT

>pop chaff, increase throttle, and barrel roll out

Some radar detectors come with Lidar detectors

How pricey are detectors? Are cheaper ones good enough or should I go for a more expensive one?

Lidar detectors are useless

Jesus user, it's not that hard. You need a radar-detector-detector-detector-detector-detector if you want to keep with the current meta

>Passport 8500
>not Valentine One

They sense when a pig with a radar gun is trying to get a reading on your car or a nearby one

Windshield mounted ones yes, the others can sometimes be somewhat useful.

I own a Valentine One that has saved my ass at lest three times in under 5 months.

I never speed more than 30 over unless I'm confident that I'm alone. I need to have some time to slow down, as the Valentine is truly only effective from about 0.75-1.00 miles away.

It has never given a false reading, though you will begin to notice how few police actually roll around with their radars blaring constantly.

Makes Eurboeat runs much more enjoyable, and I've turned 3 hours trips into 2.15 hour jaunts

>I bought a car that actually can get me in trouble
How would the CAR get you in trouble?

police use lidar now, not radar

unless you live in a poor rural and compete shit area police use lasers that don't fragment and can't be detected unless you got lasered or someone else next to you did

this thread is niggers

>V1
>not K40
faggots

Ok Here is my personal experience OP. Best possible system is using Waze + a standard radar detector. Standard radar detectors are cheap as chips on the net and have saved me a handful of times. Main Problems otherwise are Lidar is both expensive and useless as by the time you have a LIDAR feedback it's too late, no amount of slowing down will save you, you've already been done so I don't recommend them. But even then its not 100% so don't speed if you can't afford the ticket/Instaloss of license.