Title Problems

I fucked up.
I bought a car in cash from some fence proof bunny who had the title, but not in his name. I currently have a title that was signed 4 years ago by the owner before the one I purchased from.
What are my options for selling this thing now?

Report the guy to the police, and have the car impounded.

Talk to a lawyer. Autists on Veeky Forums are not a great source of legal advice.

That's an idea. I would definitely like to get my money back though.

Just sign your name as the buyer and turn it in? How hard is that? The title will be mailed to you in your name

The problem with that is the title was signed AND dated 4 years ago. I'm fairly sure i would run into problems that way

Talking to a lawyer will more than likely cost me more than i paid for the car

I bought a car with a title that was signed and dated 4 months prior to my purchase from a different seller than on the title and was worried, but it all worked out as if there were no issue.
I'd say give it a shot, but 4 years is a long time.

*6 (six) months
Sorry, I saw the four in the OP and had a brain fart

Did you have a bill of sale as well, or just the title?

Not sure how it works in the us but in my country , you cant sell a car that is not technically yours. In order to sell the car you need to have the car on your name and then you can do whatever you want. Do you have some sort of proof of this transaction?

depending on wether you have to have it notarized, I'd just forge the dudes name

Just sign it over to yourself and make a bill of sale. Holy shit you're retarded.

I've got a badly filled out bill of sale. In my country, fence proof bunnies are illegal Mexicans, so this whole situation is stickier than I'd like it to be

Even if you didn't have a bill of sale, you could just make one up. They literally do not care at the DMV. Just go there, turn it in, and they'll just mail you the new title. You're worried about it for nothing. If by some chance they care (which they won't), just say this is what the guy gave you and you don't know what's going on and leave.

then if you bought it from an illegal mexican you will have to pay all the taxes that the previous "owner" had to pay since technically the car was never his and this person never existed in the legal system. you would become the second owner of this car.

at least it works like that in here. hope it helps br/o/ , next time dont fall for this shit lol

Lol i was quick to buy it since they only asked $600 for it after leaving it with a mechanic for too long

This is truly what I'm hoping will happen. I would have to take time from work to do it and I'd hate for that time to be for nothing if they give the one fuck.

That is what will happen. I've done this very thing tons of times, and nobody cares. Also, my DMV has never taken >30 minutes if you go at the right time.

Even with the title dated back years ago?

Yeah, it'll be fine. What state are you in? It's not like you have any better options anyways.

I'm in Texas, with all the Mexicans. Now that i think about it, because of the Mexicans, this probably happens all the time. Do you think I'll need to provide proof of insurance to register the car as well?

you will if you want to reg on the spot

And if I don't have it?

Yeah, you'll probably need proof of insurance.

I don't understand what other people are saying about this. I've registered 10 cars in my name over the years and never had the car insured when I did it. I also have registered and sold cars that were dated way back before purchase and never had a problem

I also have never had proof of insurance despite my state nominally requiring it. I've probably registered ~15 cars and bikes. I think they just don't care. I can see OP's concern about the title, but I can't imagine it'll be an issue.

I'm going to choose to believe y'all and give it a shot since i have to be at the courthouse Monday anyways. Two birds.

Come back and let us know what happened.

I have a title for a bike I bought six years ago but never had turned over to my name. How fucked am I, provided I live in FL?

Will do, if this thread is still up by then.

Did any of you who said they were able to register cars this way have any other paperwork besides the title?

Then pay the $20 late fee and get on with life.

Most states charge a late fee for registering a car 30 days after sale.

Get fucked Robby

dmv will be more lax than court house. if one tries to fuck you, try the other. If you have AAA, they can also you register cars at their offices. I had a lady at one forge a guys signature in a spot because he forgot to sign and she didn't want to ask me to leave. also if they try and make you pay a ton of fines, there's generally ways you can have those lowered, especially if you got jewed the way you did. you can make a case in court and they'll lax it, I know Cali does.

Well if it's signed already what's your issue? The date of the signature? It really shouldn't be an issue.

People who attempt to flip cars hardly ever sign it into their own name and just keep the old title /bill of sale with the previous owner's details on it.