My friend said the fastest way to stop a car is to press both brake and clutch at the same time...

My friend said the fastest way to stop a car is to press both brake and clutch at the same time. I think that's wrong as you want your engine to help with braking, so you should only press the brake for maximum efficiency. Who is correct?

>Slam on the brakes
>Wheels lock up
>Engine stalls

Yeah you're autistic OP, both feet in is the rule on the track and the street in emergency braking situations.

What if you press clutch at the moment of stalling? Shouldn't that be the most efficient?

Yes as long you don't let your engine to stall. You might need to throttle after hard braking in an emergency situation, so you might as well kick in both pedals instead of wasting time thinking about it.

engine braking in a cruising gear (4th gear and higher) is going to be negligible anyways

both feet is correct

so long as you practice the muscle memory or whatever to do this? Still dumb as fuck because it's reaction time that saves you, not negligible engine braking.

reaction time as in braking AND possible throttling right afterwards should you need to also get away afterwards. Something you won't be able to do if you stalled like a retard

Ok, what if you shift lower and then break?

Why wouldn't you break with the engine if possible?

>be me
>amateur race car driver
>driving my local race track
>high speed bend that turns into a sharp corner
>cars rear end slips
>brake without clutch
>engine stalls
>wheels squeels
>end up in gravel smushed up against tire wall

are we still talking about an emergency situation

that's even more retarded because now you have to downshift. If you don't downshift smoothly, you risk jerking the car and possibly losing control if you're already at the limits of traction.

if i have to explain to you why that would be a retarded idea in a time-constrained emergency then you're a lost cause user

Ok, I guess it makes sense

Modern disk brakes can already lock the tires under heavy braking and ABS systems get better every year, you're already stopping at or near the limit of your tires' grip, the engine might take some load off the brakes but it's not necessary.

>be you
>Driving home at night
>large-ish animal in the middle of the road
>furiously downshift while braking
>car jerks, loses traction, spins and stalls

I have been driving long enough that I slam the brakes, clutch, and shift to second without thinking.

>then break
>why wouldn't you break the engine
Christ just end you're are life

>get into dad's truck
>automatic
>don't know what to do with my feet without pushing the clutch to start
>hold down the brake instead and turn the key

...What's happened to me?

Most new autos you have to hold down the brake to start the car.

that's what you're supposed to do

ran into this situation last week
>be me
>driving down pretty long road
>curve comes up
>its a curve so i cant see shit past like 20 feet
>21 feet away is a opossum
>don't see it
>turn corner
>fucking nigger opossum taking it's sweet time and chooses to cross as slow as oppossumly possible
>clutch, brake, and parking brake
>catch it's tail, it squeals and pisses off

made me lol

>new autos
basically all autos my guy

>wot is enetia?
>wot is weight?
How many people have you killed with your lies user?
Do you keep a tally?

he gets a new tally sticker on his rear window for each one

>pulling the parking brake in a panic brake scenario

Hand in your license you imbecile

>assuming the parking brake doesn't help you brake in an emergency situation

wew lad

Literally fucking what? Nothing he said is wrong. Everything you >memed is irrelevant.

You're essentially saying "we're already maxing out the tires using the brakes. BRAKE HARDER". If you're on ice and your tires lock, what does braking harder do?

Your tally must take up entire walls. Your bedroom probably looks like a prison cell.

If your brakes can't lock all 4 tires you need new brakes, or bias changes. So no, the e-brake isnt necessary in a panic situation (e-brake so named since it's a backup, emergency brake if your main brakes fail. Or for parking).

For an emergency stop you press the brake first, and the clutch right after. Not simultaneuously, but you disengage the clutch immediately after braking

Please get the fuck off the road you autists.
In an emergency situation you clutch in all the way and brake halfway for the first second.
If you're still going too fast you apply braking at a steady pace until you stop or you're safe.

Are you fuckers seriously slamming on the brakes? Is this why I have to put up with all the garbage ABS systems that are in modern cars?
Lean how to drive fuck

i don't even use brakes anymore, i just shift it in 1st and let the transmission do the braking.

get on my lvl plebs

>WHAT THE FUCK IS WEAR ON MY DRIVE
TRAIN LALALALAL BRAKES ARE FOR LOSERS
>OH FUCK WHY IS MY CAR NOT WORKING
ANYMORE REEEE

If your brakes are capable of locking up the tires, which they are if you own a well maintained shitbox, it won't matter wether to lock em with the engine and brakes or the brakes

dear god what a major fucking faggot you and the rest of your generation are.

you took the bait, good job idiot

>It doesn't matter if your wheels lock up and you lose all traction

op said "fastest way to stop a car" you fucking dork
read the thread before you shit your diaper

It's not an emergency brake, it's a handbrake. Used for parking, hill starts and impressing girls with your sick skillz. Never emergencies

>brake lines rupture
> car won't stop
>slowly pull emergency brake
>car comes to controlled stop

Wew

>brake lines burst
>little to no braking power
>reach for emergency/parking/hand brake
>"no user.. We're not parking."
>slam into family of 4
K.

But no, they should not be used in panic braking situations for the same reason that it's useless to engine brake during those situations.

If you can lock the tires then you can threshhold brake.
Although it is easier with the brakes alone theoretically you could do it with the engine as well.

Yes, locking up your wheels and or stalling your car is the best thing to do in an emergency situation.

You NEVER fucking come to a dead stop you mongoloids. You brake and swerve away from danger. Coming to a stop means some kind of collision is usually gonna happen.

Slamming on the brakes is fucking mom/college chick tier, and if you've ever done it you need to get the fuck out of your manual and buy an automatic SUV with brake and park assist.

the engine braking will be negligible compared to your brake and both are limited by your tire
it doesn't change anything

Engine braking works for a while at high revs but then the engine works against your brakes. In fact your brakes can stop your wheels faster than your engine can drop revs.

That means the inertia of your engine is actually working against your brakes and you stop in a longer amount of time, ie, not faster.

reread: fastest way to stop a car

No you can't threshold brake.
We're talking about a standard road here with most likely shit tires.

It's impossible to account for that many things and control your braking accordingly in a split second situation

Situations do exist. It's ignorant to think you can anticipate every single situation, and avoid the accident. Sometimes other bad drivers will box you in, etc.

Did he fall for the bait, or is he the bait?

I'm with ya dude, muscle memory is a real thing. I downshifted during my driving test when i was told to slam on the brakes. lol

if your muscle memory is to downshift in emergency situations instead of slam on the brake, you've prolly got some driving to do tho

Everyone in this thread is wrong. Fastest way to stop a car is crashing into a wall.

Do you not understand the difference between static and kenetic friction you dumb fuck?
Slamming your brakes and losing traction will decrease your braking force, not increase it.
They do, but for 90% of accidents it's because idiots think that not moving=safe.
If you slow down to 25-30mph you can easily perform most evasive maneuvers.
If you sperg out and slam on the brakes not only will you hit the car/animal/pedestrian in front of you but the idiot in the back is also going to rear-end you.

If you're boxed in between two trucks and you slam on the brakes you won't have enough momentum when you get out of there to properly move into an adjacent lane and again, there's a high chance of getting rear ended.

Downshifting should happen after braking, not before.
You most likely won't have time to rev match, and if your synchro mesh is bad the jerk could cause you to lose control (if the road is shit/icy/wet)

The entire point of threshold braking is to stop at the limit of the tires' grip, having shitty tires just lowers that limit, you can still threshold brake, whether you pull it off or not is another question.

The question "what's the fastest way to stop a car" can cover the perfect scenario; a flat road 100-0 test on fresh tires and pads, in which case threshold braking should be assumed, because it's the most effective way to bring the car to a stop TECHNICALLY whether you do it with the engine or not isn't relevant, it's possible but incredibly difficult and not necessary, which was the point being made.
You're limited by the tires, this we agree on, we're splitting hairs over the scenario it takes place in.

See

Eh, I feel like the speed the revs and wheel speed drop depends on the specific setup of the car, and let's say for argument your "engine" is an electric motor, when it's not receiving current it's adding drag to the system, in this incredibly specific and niche case it could be assisting the brakes by a small amount, like an F1 energy recovery system except attached to the transmission.

Yes I'm going out of my way to disprove this point that I actually agree on, but I'm just saying I'm not willing to deny the possibility, however slim.

Are you fucking retarded?
It's impossible to threshold brake without practicing for years.
You expect some normie to take into account all environmental conditions and brake accordingly?
Fucking benchracers

Literally everything about this is theoretical, you can't lord it over someone else because your autistic scenario has the driver be a one legged monkey driving a semi with racing slicks on a frozen lake.
And I'm still not willing to deny the possibility the one legged monkey pulls off the perfect threshold brake and brings the truck to a stop in the shortest possible distance, because that's what science is about, trying dumb shit and being surprised by what happens.

>I think that's wrong as you want your engine to help with braking
Well you're wrong, once you go below idle speed in whichever gear you're in, your idling engine will begin fighting with the brakes, trying to push you forwards.

I was taught to slam the brake, then immediately slam the clutch. The reasoning is that if you try to slam both at the same time, you might only hit the clutch, and roll into whatever you're trying to stop before.

Neither of you.

The fastest way to stop a car is a sold concrete wall.

>tfw no one selling concrete walls

When I did diamond plate on my pedals, I made the brake pedal bigger and fatter for better brake reaction. This is how cars are suppose to be, brake pedal bigger than gas.

You mash both pedals not because it stops faster, but because disengaging the clutch protects the engine from a rapid deceleration (or worse, direction reversal).

Under very specific conditions it might help to let engine braking help you - but your deceleration is nearly always limited by your tires' grip, so don't bother.

>t. ford t driver

Why does your car have 3 petals?

>Literally everything about this is theoretical, you can't lord it over someone else because your autistic scenario has the driver be a one legged monkey driving a semi with racing slicks on a frozen lake.
kek

>it's an autocuck post in a manual thread episode

Holy fuck dude stfu
Do you even realize what abs does you retard?
It keeps you at the kinetic coefficient of fiction by quickly engaging and disengaging the brakes faster than your fat little kankles can do it.

OP is an idiot who hasn't learned manual yet. He may manage to move it down the road, but he's far from mastering it.

I drive an automatic, but I'm very versed in manual. I've done my share of drag racing, and drifting in manual.

>I've done my share of drag racing, and drifting in manual.
I don't see how that makes you qualified to say which is the fastest way to bring a car to a complete stop.

The maximum way to stop most effectively is to drive into a concrete barrier for making this lousy ass thread OP

ITT people who dont know how to drive arguing with people who dont know how to drive about how to drive

I don't see where you can say I'm not qualified. I've managed to not hit anyone after 20+ years driving. I've been hit, but I've haven't crashed myself.

>braking using an expensive transmission instead of brakes
>brakes
>an actual part of your car made for stopping called brakes
>engine braking at all
>ever
>being this fucking retarded

>thinking engine braking harms your transmission
wow stepping on the gas must absolutely destroy it then

You leave it in gear for control. You need the inertia of the engine for stability during entry.
The car will stop the same distance under threshold braking whether it's in or out.
But you're only threshold braking about 70% of the braking zone in a car.

>1000s of hours of track time

it puts excessive wear on it that it's not designed for
you
fucking
retard

No it doesn't.. lol. There's hardly any torque on it.
Back to /ovg/ friendo
Hope your posts are bait.

found the busrider

I would assume you're trolling if there weren't people that are actually this retarded on Veeky Forums

When panic braking you're going end up in a lower gear anyway so if you can do that before the freeze up as you realize you might just crash cool, if not cool.

2/10, slightly annoyed but no one is this persistently dumb.

Only shift into 1st if you're going below 10 mph

>not money shifting and sending valves through pistons every time you want to stop
>actually using brakes
faggot

>I don't see where you can say I'm not qualified.
that's yours to prove

>not designed for
retard
engine braking saves fuel, as fuel injection cutoff comes
just don't go overboard with it

>What if you press clutch at the moment of stalling?

That is what the clutch is for.

>there are people on Veeky Forums right now that don't heel toe through each gear as they brake

>have abs because my car is from this century
>slam on brakes
>pip pip pip pip
>stop at a safe distance
Feels good

>inb4 autistic screeching about how abs makes you have less horsepower or some shit

Nah, autistic screeching will be about how ABS takes longer to brake on a dry clean surface

Fuck opossums dude. I'm from the swamp in south ga and see those things all the time. Speed bumps with legs

in an emergency just jam your feet forward and both OP. why try to be fancy? Its literally a knee jerk reaction to immenent doom just let it naturally happen.

This, good brakes will work more than well enough.

Plus depending how fast you are going and what gear you are in, the brakes might be able to slow the car down faster than the revs will drop with no throttle. The momentum of everything inside the engine and trans spinning means that even with zero throttle, it will take a second or two for the RPMs to drop. So in that case, the brakes are not only slowing down the car, but also the engine, and in that case you would be better off stomping on the clutch.

I think high revs in a low gear would be where you would experience this the most. Let's say you have a slow revving engine and your shitbox does 30mph at 6k rpm in 1st gear, but you have decent brakes and tires. If you rev the car to 6k in N, let's say it takes 2.0 seconds to drop back to idle at 700rpm when you let off the gas. But while doing 30mph in 1st gear, if you slam on the brakes and put in the clutch, the car stops in 1.5sec. So for 0.5sec after you stop, the revs are still above idle. In that situation, your brakes would actually be working harder if you left it in gear rather than smashing the clutch at the same time as the brakes since the speed of the car is falling faster than the friction within the engine will slow down the rotating assembly.

Make sense? I mean I'm sure it would barely be noticeable.

Shoulda read the thread...

Fuck I haven't driven a car in 2 years and it was a manual these kinds of threads remind me I kinda forgot how its done