What is the point of this?

What is the point of this?
Seriously, why turbo this dumb thing? 160bhp turbod, in an economy family car. What the hell is the target audience? The only person I know dumb enough to get one practically had to because it's the only thing he could get financing and insurance for. Is that what it's for? Just "fuck it I gotta settle with this" but turbod to make them feel better about their shitty choices in life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-TGkiDfOY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Turbos get better mileage in the tests.

They're like, 7/8k used now. There's worst decision you couldve made with your money.

Allegedly*

So they're tricking tards into thinking they're saving money when they're just gonna have to pay premium gas and full synthetic? Lmao the hole of durpiness goes deeper than I thought.

Common knowledge. These shitter turbos put out whimsical consumption figures in standardized testing but as soon as you get on the road it all goes to shit because nobody drives the way those dyno pulls work.

It's no SRT-4 Neon but if they can handle more boost they might be worth fucking with when they get cheaper.

It's powered by an already existing Fiat engine. They didn't turbo the dart, they just gave it a turbo'd engine already in their family.

Yea I'm not saying the platform overall is bad or a terrible value. The bad value I see is only in the turbod model. It just makes literally no sense. Great, you get like 2mpg more but pay premium gas and other shit with a turbod car.

Hey dipshit. It's a 1.4L
The 1.4L is there for the fuel economy.
The turbo is there so it has adequate power when you need it.
They also make a fantastic noise.
youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-TGkiDfOY

Because the turbo model has the most torque, the Dart is fullsize car fat and the engine can barely move it as it is. Power to weight considered, it is actually slower than a Miata.

get a short intake and lop off the resonator 'cause it sounds cool, get the 200hp ECU tune, drive it hard until it blows up because nobody cares about them, not even Chrysler.

Most of the people I see in these are Dude Bro Monster Bro Vape Dudes, same kind of people who inhabit Subaru cockpits. It's sad, that and the lack of corporate support for the platform made me sell mine.

>hey guys rallycross
>guys travis pastrana
>except nah

go fuck yourself FCA

Hey dipshit, the turbo doesn't make any additional power LOL it makes the same as the na engines. Try again tardo. If your argument is
>"but da boost hits at da right time to provide more powerz"
Then you're even more wrong, the lag in them is insane and a smoother power ban would be preferable for a family eco sedan.

>the turbo doesn't make any additional power
Actually it does. The normal 1.4L from the Fiat 500 makes 100 HP, while the Abrth .4 Turbo, also used in the Dart, makes 160.

The turbo makes more torque and IS more fuel efficient (noticeably at that) that either the 2.0L or the 2.4L.
Would I buy the 1.4 Turbo though? Fuck no. Gimmie that 2.4L

the turbo engine makes more torque than any other engine option and thus provides the best acceleration if you drive it properly. It also has the biggest aftermarket and it's used in so many other cars there are parts for days.

unfortunately no one drive them properly, the tiny little turbo is peaky and you have to drive specifically to keep it in boost if you want to actually go somewhere quickly, made more difficult by Throttle-By-Wire and the car's induction baffling that means fully stock you cannot tell what the turbo is doing. At all. You can't hear it, there's no gauge, the car doesn't have an external wastegate, and the exhaust note is so muffled it just sounds like a turbo civic a mile away with your ear to the tailpipe.

You have to get premium? Buddy has one and he puts midgrade in it and get's the estimates mpg.

granted he gets fuel discounts but still.

So I'm reading very flimsy reasons for it to exist, but also reading that no one wants one. Like I said in OP.....the fuck is the point of it still? Like why would anyone intentionally get this, other than people who HAVE to tell themselves this shit to feel good about their purchase? Like you're buying a giant ass family eco box, why would the acceleration matter to anyone? And the mpg is negated by premium fuel and oil. So scratch that logic of mpg.

My tardo friend was putting 87 in his for the first few months he had it. I told him he's an idiot, then he reads the manual and tells me like 2 weeks ago that I'm right. No shit, I wouldn't have said it otherwise. 91 would prolly be fine but eww.

>the fuck is the point of it still?
fuel economy. Literally. That is the entire reason. Part of the rules for the bailout was that FCA had to produce a Chrysler or Dodge car capable of 40 MPG. The 1.4L Turbo Dart is the car that did it. None of the other Dart variants can hit 40 MPG.

No you don't, the manual itself just says premium gives "optimal efficiency", that's it. The engine won't grenade itself if you fill it with 87.

Yeah weird. I've seen plenty of turbo cars that use 87 and I know the base can use 87. Little weird the engine /needs/ premium. High compression?

Pic related because see for yourself

ex-owner here, you can put mid-grade or regular in the tank and the car will run, it will simply cut boost and be even slower.

>turbo is bad

fuck me i wish my sanic had the turbo because more torqz

Ah ok so i guess the argument for mpg is made then if you can do regular. According to friend the manual said only 91+ but if its possible to do 87 without messing it up I guess that's justified. It just seemed like some weird braggy, dumb trim to me that only existed to make the owner feel like they could say their car is turbod despite being slow as furk lol.

Hey dipshit. It's a shit
The 1.4L is there cause the car is a shit
The turbo is there cause the engine is so shit it cant make any power without it
They make shitty shit noises cause they're a shit

The car is a rolling turd shit made for Billy who's balls deep in debt on his 4th DUI but wants a "nice new car"

>be me
>buy 2013 dart with passenger visor falls down, hanging from wires
>gas cap cover falls off
>clutch worn at 29k miles. (and i know how to drive manual i did 200k on the original clutch in my civic.
)
>throwout bearing and syncros replaced at 31k miles
>turbo destroyed itself after leaving the dealer for the syncros.
>front ball joints showing play at 33k miles
>electrical issue causing headlights to not come on. Ever.
>slow
>sub par mpgs for a turbo 1.4l
>clutch was slipping again at 39k miles so i fucking sold this piece of shit.
Fuck this car.
Ive had no problems whatsoever with my 2015 challenger though.
>what the fuck

It's cuz Dodge definitely is good in the muscle car department, but haven't made a decent compact since the 2nd gen Neon.

I still see those things everywhere.

It's a Chrysler so it'll blow the fuck up no matter which gas goes in it

Well the Neon had all the engineering done before Mercedes came along and fucked everything up.
The Dart still uses Mercedes electronics

>
>The car is a rolling turd shit made for Billy who's balls deep in debt on his 4th DUI but wants a "nice new car"

Agreed. Also he's mildly interested in cars and heard about dem turbos, make the car real fast and bragging rights!!

>>electrical issue causing headlights to not come on. Ever.
lel
mine would flicker on and off unless I kicked or punched the knee panel below the steering wheel.

also occasionally weird shit would happen like the blinkers suddenly coming on and flashing double time while the BRAKE warning and CEL flashed too, restarting the car fixed it

the auto-dimming rear view broke for no reason

wheel bearings were bad from day 1

turbocharger preload was mis-set

if you start playing music by artist or genre off your USB drive, there IS NO PHYSICAL WAY to go back to playing all the tracks on the device. You have to unplug it, plug in another USB drive, and then plug the original back in again to reset the directory.

Be careful you never ever mess with the wiring, I had a malfunctional blower motor in mine, but it wasn't the blower motor, it was the module in charge of turning the blower motor on that wasn't communicating with the BCM, which needed to be communicated with by the HVAC panel. Replaced the HVAC panel and went over the wiring loom with a multimeter and never could figure out where exactly the failure was. Hooked the blower to a good power source and it spun up instantly, replaced the blower "resistor" (actually a small computer in itself), and that still didn't fix it.

i mean
>modern cars
and all but fuck me there is a rat's nest back there

oh yeah and I bought mine new with 11 miles on it, paid it off in 4 years and traded for a 150,000 mile, 18-year-old Miata which is not only appreciably faster and cheaper to modify but also significantly better-engineered.

>blower motor
You reminded me.
Mine was stuck on off from when I got it to when I got the trans fixed.
All winter, thank God the heated seats and steering wheel worked.
And don't get me started on the infotainment issues.

Put it like this: this 1.4 Turbo engine was originally meant for the european market only. Now, comparing the US' AKI and EU's RON octane ratings:

AKI 87 ~ RON 91
AKI 91 ~ RON 95
AKI 93 ~ RON 98

Over here RON 91 pretty much doesn't exist anymore, save for a couple countries here and there. So the engine was designed for the base 95 petrol (roughly the 91 premium over there), and the premium 98.
That's why it performs worse on regular 87. The engine wasn't designed to run on octane ratings that low in the first place.

>Just "fuck it I gotta settle with this" but turbod to make them feel better about their shitty choices in life?
No you know how it feels to live in the EU. They force you to make shitty choices, the regulators are so shit all the car choices are shit so when the EU gives you a big wet turd you take the big wet turd with sprinkles on it.

Fuck Brussels.

do people on Veeky Forums really not understand that smaller turbocharged engines are more efficient now? are you seriously that stupid?

>V8 mileage
>I4 power
>Turbo lag
>Turbo complexity
Akintson cycle > turbo engine with less than 2l of displacement

not in something as fat as a Dart

yeah you will get 41mpg on perfectly flat ground with no fucking rear seats or carpet at night where the turbo can actually get cold air

real world driving in warm daytime, 25mpg. That's staying off boost but not driving so lightly the car is dangerously slow.

At full throttle I don't know what kind of miles it gets but you can watch the needle sink.

Also what the fuck is with the duuuuumb dash on it with the fake smoke graphics lol it just makes it fucking cheesy and look dirty when it's off. I can only imagine the interior designers were a bunch of mickys drinking morons with backward hats and flame button up shirts sayin
>"hell yea bro that's so fuckken cool bro, it's like the engine is on FIRE it's so fast that the dash is smoking bro!"

Turns out they were half right, the engine is on fire.

Well shit. I'm almost glad I got my base model lancer. I was going to get this because "American & turbo" but looks like I dodged a bullet.

>Mitsubishi
>good

Bought a '16 turbo manual. All manufacturer lit mentioned regular unleaded, no mention of premium whatsoever

>What is the point?
Selling high interest loans to niggers.

>i drive like a retard and that means turbo engines get shit mpg

okay buddy

I'm getting ~28 combined, but it'll probably get better once I can drive stick better. Babbys first turbostick and all that

>stolen Recaros

stopped reading

Then what's the point of turbo if you have to always stay out of boost.