Redpill me on leasing a car

Redpill me on leasing a car

it's a scam

>Redpill me
Kill you are self

It's for financially illiterate niggers that want to seem rich by riding around in a car they couldn't afford to buy.

95% of the time, it's a bad idea

Literally everyone I know who has leased has said the same thing "I will never lease a car again."
Don't make the same mistake
Don't
Don't
Don't

if you only want to own a car for 3 years
if you can't get a good rate on buying the car, but can get a decent rate on both the lease and post lease price, and are willing to pay the overall price premium

it's like renting on a fixed contract for a set period.

at the end of the day, you dont own the car, while if you buy and finance a car, at the end of the day, even if it takes you 10 years, you do own the car.

whereas you could lease the same car for 10 years and you will never own it

Do you like a new car every 2-4 years?
>If Yes
It's alright. Builds your credit if it's not already good. The reliability of always having a vehicle is nice if you make enough a year.
>If No
Don't.

if you own a successful business and can claim it as a tax write-off leasing is the best way to go.

if you are a richfag who wants a new car every year, go for it.

for every one else don't

>is it a Mercedes
FUCKING LEASE IT

Wife needs a car for mat leave (1 year). When she returns to work she gets a company car again. Lease then?

Veeky Forums can't afford anything that requires credit, not worth asking them.

best done for luxury cars because nobody wants to take care of them after 4+ years

It really depends though, you gotta take depreciation, residuals, and alternative finance rates into account

Do it. Since she's used to leasing a company car AND she just gave birth, she probably won't be satisfied with anything old, unsafe, and unreliable.

>she probably won't be satisfied with anything old, unsafe, and unreliable
If you're not working on the road and that's a criteria for you, you should take some driver education courses.

>women
>thinking rationally
>with a new child

This.
It's basic fucking algebra. Some cars are cheaper to lease, some aren't. Leasing has less liabilities and can be favorable for business owners.

I was going to say this but you beat me too it.

Leasing only makes sense if you go through cars every couple years but always want to be in a brand new one. Basically for rich old people who just want to be in the newest mercedes but dont want to take the depreciation hit or fuck around with selling it every year or two.

If you lease an econobox for any reason other than a company tax writeoff, you are an idiot.

Don't.

>Some cars are cheaper to lease, some aren't.

lease ends, you don't own a car
buy a car, you own a car

>basic fucking algebra

Its for fags who are so obsessed with new that they will spend thousands to have it.

You give them $11,000 for 2 years with a BMW 4 series and you aren't allowed to run up the milage either or you pay extra. The car costs 40,000. Then they sell its certified pre-owned for $35,000. Thus they make $51,000 on the car instead of $40,000. That's why they push it so hard.

Opposed to you buying the car for $40,000 and selling it in two years for $35000 yourself thus paying $5,000 for the car. Or better yet you should just join the dealer and take advantage of the retard who leases cars and buy Certified pre-owned.

Then you pay $35,000 and can sell it in two years with less of a depreciation.

Only business owners should be leasing cars for employees or like the guy who's wife is pregnant and loses her company car for a year.

Even then I'd consider buying CPO and selling it privately after. Its theoretically cheaper if you buy the right car and find a seller but that might be too much of a hassle for somebody who is new to it.

Yeah I figured leasing works in our case. Just need a 1yr lease. My car is paid off.

My old man is worth more than 60mill and he leases a new benz every three years so he can just drive it and not have to worry about the value of the car. I agree normally its a bad idea but if you wanna get a new car every year or two its pretty solid.

>Time value of money
Basic finance

If the total cost of the lease is less than the depreciation over the same amount of time the lease is cheaper.

Not to mention I would rather have no car than a loan with zero or negative equity. I.e. A liability

Dumbass.

> I would rather have no car than a loan with zero or negative equity. I.e. A liability
t. some retard that doesn't know you can buy cars used for cheap

I'll keep my new still under warranty car.

You keep your sloppy jalopy. Don't forget AAA memebership for when it breaks down.

the payments are half of what they would be if you financed for the same term

This.

Also 3 years is a good shakedown period during which you can evaluate some of the long(er) term reliability issues that may plague the car.

I'd rather pay an extra 2-3k than be stuck with a lemon that's constantly needing repair until I can find a sucker to buy it.

IIRC, the dealerships can estimate how much value the car will lose during the lease period. Including all the costs and fees. They would never allow the total lease price be less than the depreciation, unless:
- car becomes unexpectedly popular vs current production volume
- automaker/dealership agree on aggressive sale efforts (i.e limited offers, etc)

The only (partially) acceptable scenario for leasing, IMHO, is:
- new, hot, 1st gen, non econobox
- even after a test drive and peer reviews, you're still unsure, but you really want to give it a try

If you weren't completely satisfied, ending the lease would be easier than the other options
If you liked it and took good care of it, you can fully buy it later, even with a loan. It'll cost you more vs buying new, but that's freedom to return it without (major) hassle.

I don't believe in leasing. I usually keep a car for 7-10 years at a clip & take care of my stuff. I'm a parts manager at a dealership & have connections all over the place. Whenever I need anything parts wise the most I'm paying is 10% over cost. If I can't fix something myself I work with 10 techs who will help my with anything for lunch or a couple of beers. That being said my wife was driving a shit box that was leaking oil that would have been a major repair + the car had 4 accidents making it worthless. I was just starting to look for a solid, low mile off lease to buy. The last day of the physical year the manufactur offered a one day employee $5000 discount. I ended up leasing $46,000 loaded car for less than $300 a month. By the time the lease is up my car will be paid off & I'll have plenty of money saved for a down payment on her next car. It was a no brainer.

I lease because I like getting a new car every three years. I also have the income to do it. I get great deals too because of my credit. I'm driving a 2015 370z that I got for zero down at $290 a month. I might get a mustang gt next.

Wrong.

The manufacturer determines the residual which is part of the lease contract.

Inflated residuals are very common ergo the scenario I described is just as common.

Not to mention we are in a subprime auto loan bubble. If/when used car prices tank it won't be a bad time to be locked into to a certain residual.

NO PAYMENTS FOR 36 MONTHS
ALL CREDIT WILL BE APPROVED
0 DOWN PAYMENT

why don't you take a wild guess at who they are targeting with this advertising

4 U

>0 down
>296 a month
>12k miles per year
>3 year lease
>2016 Hellcat
I think leasing isn't worth it but fuck this was tempting.

Holy shit that might have gotten me. As a weekend only car it wouldn't have gotten nearly that mileage on it. What was the post lease price?

Remember to take care of that car real nice and keep the miles extra low! Mr. Carberg and Mr. Autostein will be mad if you tank its resale value!

cant be any worse than slowly paying off a car that does not even have a dip stick or a serviceable gearbox

iirc it was something like 56k. The dealerships were trying to get rid of all their hellcats because of the demon being released so they were offering crazy lease deals. Leasing something like a hellcat is almost unheard of.

>he isn't a fast toys club member

My friend parents are relatively well off financially, And are constantly cycling through 60-80k luxury cars by means of leases.

I guess ownership isn't that big of an issue when you just want to drive a bunch of nice cars and can afford it.

So entry level "luxury" and they're well off? Nice one

They live in a million dollar house, sent their kids to nice colleges, partake is expensive hobbies like sailing and golf, and are able to less nicer cars.

I would say that's worthy of "upper class"

>So entry level "luxury"
Dude, that money is Giulia Quadrifoglio territory. I wouldn't call that "entry level".

>Is it German?
Lease, cause it's worthless after warranty is done

>American?
Lease. They lose value too fast.

>Japanese?
Buy out right. They hold value and you're just throwing money away by leasing them.

Don't know is about Korean cars. They've been mostly shit until recently.

This happened to me. I own my car completely. No loans or lease. The model year I have was in particularly high demand and they wanted my car. Offered me a bunch of cash and incentives to replace it with a brand new car. Didn't take it.

Depends on the country tbqh. Here Audis hold their price very well (I still hate them tho). Alfas hold their price well too (a low miles 2008 159 sells for 35k)