Hey guys, live in cali here and I want to buy a diesel car that is 1996 or older...

Hey guys, live in cali here and I want to buy a diesel car that is 1996 or older, what is the best 1990-1996 diesel car I can buy. Or even what are some notable usa diesels from that time period?
Pre 96 diesel cars are smog exempt.

find the smallest one you can and roll tiny coal
fuck commiefornia

Am I on Veeky Forums? That's a lot of salt just because of where I live.

I don't hate you, I hate the state as an entity.

just buy an electric car. superior to internal combustion anyway.

Anything with a 12 valve Cummins.

Everything in a passenger vehicle (to my knowledge) that had a diesel back then was either NA so it made no power, or the turbo tech was godawful so they were ultra unreliable. Except the 12 valve cummins 6BT.

Expect to spend at least 7 to 8 grand on one that either has over 250k miles or has been treated like shit

You are most likely going to find a truck then a car for that specification.

And by anything, your options are a Ram 250 or 350

And do it right, make sure they're four wheel drive with manual transmissions and transfer cases

So far a 1996 e300 looks like the most promising car.

Have you considered killing yourself?

Dodge Ram with Cummins. But they got memetaxes up the ass so goodluck finding a cheap one.

4 B T

B

T

What's a 4bt?

Old merc deezl

I want it so I don't have to smog it so I can do basically "what ever I want"

me question would be:
What are California's laws on emissions requirements for pre 1996 gas cars converted to diesel?

THAT would be my question and if the answer is positive, than swapping a diesel into an older car would be a great option.
>no 1990 Caprice with a 6.6L Duramax

You aren't allowed to modify the emission systems/motor etc, but just like the pre 76 cars if you don't have to smog it you will only need to "comply" if you attract the police to your car.
The 1969 mustangs with 5.0 swaps aren't legal to the letter of the law but the lack of needing to get them tested every 2 years means they are "close enough"

oh converted to diesel...
I'm pretty sure the answer is just no.

It's legal

This honestly, Anything else isn't very common. You might want to try Volkswagen rabbits or golfs. Peugeot 505s are another option. Diesel volvos are out there but rare in US?

Actually, the cutoff is 97.
98 and newer requires smug.

For a car, your options are a Merc diesel, or a vw diesel.
Most European cars were optional diesel, but not all were sold to the US market. Thanks for nothing Volvo.

There are loopholes. If the car came as optional diesel for that year and frame in the US market (not euro only diesels), you can swap it under the replacement engine laws.

Otherwise, I believe you still can, but it needs to be of a like vehicle/weight class and of course, be a vehicle engine from a US delivered car.
It is also under the scrutiny of the Dmv representative.

Volvo?

Yee

would swapping a new motor into an old car increase power and fuel economy?

no

Yes

>Wants power and economy
>But not a new car
?????

Then you have to smog it and cannot modify it in california.

>California
I don't live in the US, but all I fucking see is Cali restriction this, Cali recognized carcinogen that.

What the fuck, man? I thought only decrepit old mummies live there, what are they doing, trying to modify hearses to get them into the ground quicker?

>I thought only decrepit old mummies live there
No, that's Florida, and Florida has no emissions inspections.

Oooooooooh.

I see. So Cali is full of nu-hippies then?

right.

I moved to LA last month with my Michigan-bought 1997 Celica (a "49-state car", meaning Toyota made a special Cali version with special emissions standards. Mine is not this California version). I am afraid to get it smogged. I'm thinking about keeping it Michigan registered, and if any cops give me trouble I'll tell them I road tripped across the country for a concert or some shit. Idk how shit works over here yet

Yes

California is the most stringent place to own a car. If you follow the law word by word there you can barely "modify" your car in any way shape or form.

t. Commiefornian in SoCal

Just don't get pulled over.
I literally drive like a madman going 100+ on pack freeways and city streets. Never been pulled over. If ur relatives still live in Michigan, just register it with them or some shit

Pretty much yeah, you can't do shit.
Traffic is bad, gun laws are shit, car laws are shit and taxes are stupid high.

How do the Roadkill guys get away with it? Aren't they in that area.

>How do the Roadkill guys get away with it?
Cars from 1975 or older are exempt from California emissions standards.

Just found this, I think I'm in the clear. I still have my Michigan license and everything:

>If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state . . . When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicle’s previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle.

They moved but all of the cars they deal with are exempt from smog.
The way it works - Once your car is three years old, you must take it to a mechanic who is certified to have it emissions tested. Aftermarket parts is typically an automatic fail unless they're non-emissions related or are authorized by the state to be emissions legal. So, for example. Replacing your exhaust all the way up to the headers is generally automatic grounds for failure. Installing catback exhausts is generally legal, since you aren't modifying emissions. Replacing your air filter with an aftermarket drop-in is legal, but a cold air intake is generally not smog legal.

If you own a car that was manufactured prior to Jan 1 1975, it is exempt from inspection. Same with motorcycles.