What makes luxury cars worth doubling the price?

What makes luxury cars worth doubling the price?

I was in a Ford Fusion titanium a couple weeks ago as a rental and it was really nice. It wasn't my BMW but I had no complaints considering the engine size.

The Linclon with the same engine and all the options is $53,000.

What are you paying for? Is the ride smooth as fuck compared to the Ford?

Same question from toyota -> Lexus etc.

What the deal here? Is it really just 'improved' interior or is it something more?

I ask because the interior in these cars always age like shit. Any Cadillac from 10 years ago looks like shit inside.

I understand BMW and modern Cadillacs have a sporty element to it but I'm talking about the pure luxury cars here.

That is because you sat in a low end lincoln niggermobile.....

Go sit in a Lexus LS, Jaguar, or a Mercedes S class and get back to me on if you notice any differences.....

Better yet, go sit in a modern Rolls or Bentley. Literally nothing else will do after that.

>>Lexus cars are the same as Toyota

This is how we can tell that you don't actually know anything about cars.

I've only driven shitboxes and my Focus feels really nice.

Ride quality is much better, better materials (leather and wood in lincolns vs cheap plastic in fords ( and in BMWs and Cadillacs too))

Also better design, handling, more comfortable, noise cancellation, more available safety features etc

Which Lincoln where you in? The Continental doesn't share any engines with Ford

Explain. I've only ever owned or driven BMW VW or AUDI.

What is it like in the world of driving cars that don't go fast.

What makes the Lexus LS better than the fully decked out avalon that justifies the dramatic price increase?

Like I said, the Ford Titanium was really nice. Especially compared to the base chevy cruze i had rented.

My BWM has that black stained wood too?

Lincoln MKZ. It was nice don't get me wrong but I'm just trying to understand what makes it cost double the the Ford Titanium with all options.

I know the SQ5 Audi is much better than the toureg from owning them but there is a performance component here that you can feel.

Your telling me the shocks in the luxury cars are that good?

It seems luxury cars like Lexus is what you buy if you are rich and want a money sink.

Yea?

It's a luxury car, people buy them because they don't want to drive a plastic Mazda or Chevy or VW

Thats pretty aesthetic, i'll say.

Essentially you are asking, "what is the value proposition" of a hooker, I mean luxury automobile.

A lot of it is the prestige status symbol aspect, being seen as "high status". Then there's things like the cars being smoother, softer, quieter, etc. You asked about pure luxury. That's what ppl want with pure luxury. They're old men who want a soft supple cruise to the golf course.

Build quality, materials, gadgets, amenities, etc. Lexus is entry level luxury, though, as is BMW and Audi. You really need to be driven in a Rolls.

Except I bought mine for the price of a brand new Corolla and earn a low hourly wage. It's not that hard to afford a Lexus you dumb nigger

Used luxury is nigger tier tho user

Toyota --> Lexus is about several things:
1. The interiors are much nicer.
2. Lexus are typically larger with a pillowy ride for that luxury feel.
3. Lexus has much larger engine options.
4. Status symbol.

Is it worth the 100% markup? Arguable.

Lincoln has air ride suspension.
Ergonomics of the seats is very well done.
There's a reason they use them for limos.

People love driving expensive living rooms. Though, in my area, everyone works for the government so everyone and their wives drive Lexus, Audi, Jag, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc. I've riden and driven a lot of nicer cars, and personally can't muster the enthusiasm for them. I appreciate people who commute enjoying the quiet ride, but you sit in the same traffic with the same moms who almost backed into you leaving the Wegman's Parking Lot in her Mercedes. There's nothing more anti-luxury inducing than taking a look at the drivers and never, ever ask them anything mechanical about it.

NoVa?

The Wegman's Mercedes Parking Lot analogy is too fucking real

Lexus is a tremendous value in comparison to the other traditional luxury brands. They are utterly more reliable, and typically more user friendly. Which is important in a market that is highly competitive in regards to the people with the disposable cash to buy these cars. Mercedes, etc will give you more options for exclusivity with specialized packages and distinct models that Lexus doesnt compete with. But in regards to day to day luxury cars that sell in volume (i.e E350, S550, C300 not the designo trim G55 AMG, SLR, etc), Lexus competes very well and will typically always be more reliable than the kraut shitboxes.

I have seen that Lexus is the most reliable brand even passing toyota. The mercs and BMWs do well but audi does not. Infiniti and Acura do worse.

I've wondered this too. But I get the feeling since rich folk buy shit without caring for the price. THATS why shit is so expensive. Like.. I love Lexus but why is the GS For $50,000 more than an IS? Just cause of the engine? I mean fuck

Rich people care about prices. That is part of how a lot of people get rich.

The GS is a larger car with more, higher quality components. The cost to toyota is not linear between the model range. They GS sells less than the IS and less than the top selling RX and ES. Less volume means higher cost. They sell for what the market will bear, and are priced competitively with competition (I.e. A6, 5 series, E class).

If you don't have $50k to spend on a new GS, buy a certified pre owned one for $34k. Lexus CPO is fucking mint.

"Rich ppl" don't get rich by spending money recklessly. Biggest misconception from retarded poor ppl watching rap videos or looking at very un-representative Instagrams of a few select spoiled children.

Yes, more reliable and "cheaper" in the long run. According to a recent study the average annual cost to operate (insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel, etc.) a Lexus is $4500, actually less than Toyota which was $4700 or $5000'ish. In the end, probably has better resale value too, so if you can afford the hit up front you might crunch #s for the long-game it's a smarter choice to go Lexus even vs Toyocunt.

Exactly how? It's just as luxurious as when it was new a decade ago.
>heated/cooled leather seats w/ memory settings
>touchscreen w/ navigation
>premium sound system
>auto dimming mirrors
>rain-sensing wipers
>rear sunshade

Probably forgetting something, but the point is it's a pretty nice place to be at a bargain price. Not sure what your issue is.

^^^^^^
>automatic climate control

That's a favorite of mine. Literally put it on auto when I drove it off the lot and haven't touched it since. Awesome.

Government jobs do not pay very well, though? Steady paycheck with good benefits but the pay isn't enough to drive luxury unless you're like, one of the 100 lobbyists in Washington (still privately employed, then).

Are these older boomers without mortgages?

Spoiled millennials/gen-xers with flashy cars and degrees paid for by mommy and daddy?

No normal aged, not born into money, working adult jobs, with adult debts to pay (mortgage, student loans, the normal shit, maybe credit cards if they're financially inept) can afford to drive luxury.

Makes it even more perplexing that luxury nameplates manage to capture more than, say 3% of the market

Speaking of Lexus, I'd love a manual one with the v8, is that an option in today's world?

I've been on the lookout for a 90s one but fuck it, I make a real wage, I could get one from 201x. Still rwd?

>Speaking of Lexus, I'd love a manual one with the v8, is that an option in today's world?

Not as far as I know. IS F, GS F, RC F, LS... All auto.

I feel your pain, sir. As an IS 350 owner, I feel this thing would be GOAT with a six speed manual.

Pure luxury u want a maybach, or Phantom.
Fuck the 7 series you rich upper middle class motherfuckas. Mils pay the Bills bitches

>Lexus are typically larger with a pillowy ride for that luxury feel

This was pretty funny after I returned my loaner ES 350. That thing ate up potholes like I was riding on a cloud. Then got back in my little IS and felt every road imperfection haha. I own one of the few Lexus' that ride like shit.

>Government jobs do not pay very well, though?
A large amount of these workers are government contractors, who rake it in big time. Most people here have some work affiliation to the DoD. Or, you work in "network security" which means you, and 3 guys that pop into the empty office floor from time to time, that has your company's logo behind a big wooden desk, and that's a large percentage of the jobs.

>Spoiled millennials/gen-xers with flashy cars and degrees paid for by mommy and daddy
There's certainly a degree of that: The "Washingtonian" Lifestyle, but these jobs do pay well. I'm not referring to the security desk clerk, but you're talking about an area with a $80kish median range, but most make more than that. Unless your job requires you to live in DC, you live in NoVA (northern Virginia) or even above Baltimore. People commute from West Virginia even.

Low housing costs + great benefits + great salary = Spending Cash To Keep Up With Image, and DC is largely about image. That's what I meant that I understand wanting as pleasant of a commute experience as possible but this area has absolutely horribly traffic, horribly maintained roads, and lots and lots of shit drivers. With summer coming up and everyone taking 95 to and from vacation rentals, it's about to get even worse.

>Government jobs do not pay very well, though?

Maybe not entry level, but my dad did his 20 years of military service and now makes six figures in government contracting. He lives below his means in a modest townhome and drives a base VW Golf. Could easily be commuting in a Lexus or whatever, it's just not his style.

My sister on the other hand also works in government contracting, but only makes about $60k/year. I think she could definitely be making more by now, but she's just not terribly ambitious.

Is Wegman's local to NoVA? Anyways, that's bad but Costco can suck my dick. Fucking savages.

Just trying to grab what I need and get out, but Sandeep, Faruq, and Esmeralda are meandering about in the middle of the goddamn aisle blocking my way. Fucking oblivious cocksuckers. You smell like shit too.