Mazda RX-8

Is this a good first car?
>$3000
>165k miles

>Is this a good first car?
If you like riding the bus often

No, at that high of miles, the apex seals are worn down, and you'll have to spend up to 10K to fix it. The apex seals last for 80,000 miles, so even if they've been replaced before, they're about to go out again, or they're already gone. Plus they get shit gas mileage, and they have other serious issues. Oh, and you can't turn off the engine while its cold or you'll flood your engine.

They're good cars if rotarys are your thing.

>good first car
No

I had one as my first car.
Fucking good shit, but not with that kinda mileage on it..
I bought mine at 80k km's, sold at 108k.

Probably should not go for a rotary as your first car. You might forget to keep the chip dipped and the whole thing will explode.

>good first car
If you ignore maintenance, yes. Otherwise, they're going to require much more attention than most other cars.

If the engine was rebuilt/replaced at 120k and has documentation yeah sure
Or if you intend to learn to wrench and want to rebuild/replace the engine yourself, yeah sure

Rx8 is an incredibly simple and reliable car if you know how to change oil every 3k miles and replace ignition coils

A rebuild is 3k done by a shop assuming no housings or rotors need replacing
Hell, you can buy good condition engines for less than 3k
Where did you get 10k from

I'm strongly suggesting you dont buy that for your first car. Maintenance costs will be a nightmare

>RX8
those cars spend 3/4 of their lifespan in the shop.

OP here, just bought the car. Gotta wait a couple paychecks so I can afford whatever weird seals need replacing.

Good luck OP

Nice ride!

The "cheap" apex seals are $400 not counting any t ools you may not have.
Labour takes a whole day if you do it straight through and you'll probably fuck the whole engine on your first try.
You pay extra for premix and burned oil on top of the shit mileage.
It's a fucking racecar.

No

lamo nice thread. Why bother asking retard

Dumbass. Buyers remorse soon.
POS RX8
Enjoy being broke.
Should have gotten an RX7 atleast

Don't. The car was most like abused, owned by several women and the engine was never rebuild. Too much hassle.

he could always throw a coyote or ls in it

Should have gotten the first gen. Parts for 12A are fucking dirt cheap.

>Spend 10k on a swap instead of a 800 dolar rebuild kit

enjoy your money sink machine

bone for tuna

truth

I take it that's $3000 USD and not Canadian or Australian.
If so that's a little bit overpriced in my opinion for the miles.

>LOL UNRELIABLE ENGINE
>engine is the only part not burning

Your bait is bad and you should feel bad.

I've been wondering about this, how come no one seems to do coyote swaps?

they're still pretty new and uncommon. You can pull an LS engine out of any GM vehicle with a V8.

Are they superior to the LS in any ways though? Like, will they ever become the next meme engine swap to replace the LS?

I don't know a damn thing about either engines desu

They are superior to the ls
But people are poorfags and you can grab a Gen iii sbc out of pretty much anything
Coyotes are few and far between in comparison

no

>Where did you get 10k from

Out of his ass obviously.

They have similar weights and sizes, but the Coyote is more powerful and more fuel efficient (with maybe the exception of the LS engines designed and built in this same era) I believe. But the LS has the numbers.

Yes
Modulars can run the quarter in 5 seconds, LShit cant

LS is way smaller than coyote

I fucking hate this shit. Guy comes in asking about nippon contrarian motored car, and it turns into Calvin pissing in ford/Chevy stickers. Fuck off rednecks!

We are pretty much at the point with LS swap experience and products, that if you are swapping a V8 into anything, if you don't use the LS, you are just being a contrarian.

There are a lot of interesting engines in the market. And many that would fit the engine bay and driving dynamics of the RX-8 well. But you'll pay more for less power and more headaches.

Unless it's a Ford.
Putting an LS in a Ford is like putting a baboon heart in a human. It just ain't right.

>first car
it's your first car, you have silly ideas of what you want your first car to be but you don't even know the reality of owning one first so what the heck

hope you didn't spend too much on it or at least know a friend who's handy and willing to help.

Can't imagine why anyone would even consider an ugly Rx-8 as a first car other than being a poor man's Rx-7.

What's up BCS Br/o/

Gratz op. I got one recently too. Change all your fluids right now. Get a new oil filter. And stick money aside for the apex seal replacement. Go eat those corners. Sluts and non carguys love that car. Be sure to put in a bit of oil every other fillup

>You can pull an LS engine out of any GM vehicle with a V8.
Lolno. Most of those "LS engines" are iron blocks with reduced output. The correct blanket term for them is third/fourth gen SBC.

They aren't superior in the aftermarket. With similar money invested, both will make similar power. However, the LS has a way bigger aftermarket, and it's physically smaller, which matters a lot when swapping. For example, any small block, SBF or SBC will fit in a 64-66 Mustang, but the Modular won't fit, just like the big blocks couldn't fit back then.

>if you don't use the LS, you are just being a contrarian
Except the 3rd gen Hemi has way better airflow, and the SBF is still lighter and smaller (assuming the same block material).

The LS is a great compromise, but it's still a compromise.

>compromise
What's wrong with compromise?

>t.rotard

Nobody would recommend it as a first car, but if you enjoy it and learn from it you might not regret it.

How it can cost 10k to fix 13b, when Mazda sells new engine for 5k?

no way, that car has been destroyed.
if you absolutely want a rotary go for an FC.

Nothing, it's just that the LS isn't always the right compromise.

It's not even a good car

Congrats, don't listen to the haters, read up about the issues you might have and on the car in general and do proper maintenance and have a lot of fun brapping around. Rip a few slides for Veeky Forums.

Lmao wtf
>Makes thread asking if he should buy car
Entire Thread:
>uhh not at that milage
>lmao rotary? Nope
>its gonna spend its life in the shop getting repairs
>no not very reliable for a first car
OP:
>aight so I bought the car

Why even make the thread