PAINT CAR WITH RATTLE CANS?

Anyone take this challenge up? My car has heavy clear coat damage thanks to being a shit box + fucking Florida rain + fucking Florida sun literally ripped apart my clear coat.

But I don't want to spend what I paid for the car in the first place on a decent paint job from maaco.

Advice ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q74Ku3Mbpqs
youtube.com/watch?v=owIRfEPgs58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah do it.

I´ve never painted a whole car with rattle cans, but I´ve done two cars with a roller(no overspray, yay). Go all out on prep. I can´t over emphasize it.

Some dudes from youtube paint a Skoda with a roller.
youtube.com/watch?v=q74Ku3Mbpqs

It's going to look worse. Just put a brush guard on it and pretend you're in mad max.

Just buy a decent compressor and gravity fed spray gun second hand, do it somewhat decently, then sell the equipment off.

It'll literally be cheaper than doing it with rattle cans and might actually be half way decent if you do the prep.

My friend made his gremlin purple this way. Set up a paint tent in his backyard and everything. Black primer plus many coats. Sanded in between. Took a lot of time and probably cost more money than a spray gun set up. Do not do. You're being memed.

Slap some plasti-dip on it and call it a day.

I mean, any way you slice it, the car is going to look bad. At least go for the least bad you can.

I've done 2 cars rattlecan.

One I was trying to keep it nice, and it did look good

I rattle canned my entire Ramcharger. Looks like shit, but it wasn't hard. Took about twenty cans to fully complete without any patches of thin paint.

Spray paint is always going to look like shit, though. Doesn't matter if you take the panels off and carefully and meticulously hit every spot in short bursts. Spray paint just looks shit.

I painted my fenders and hood with rattle cans, it's not very durable and it oxidizes quickly, you have to buff it often and wax it, but it's not very thick either so you can only buff it so many times before it burns through.

This 100x

Also, you may be able to buff the car back to looking good
youtube.com/watch?v=owIRfEPgs58
skip to about 11:30, they think it needs a repaint, then boom.

Its a fuckload of work, and it'll never look as good as one done properly with a good gun, proper paint and tecnique

You can make it look passable, but it takes time and effort. Sand it down properly (might even have to do down to the bare metal if you want it to be as good as you can get it), apply thin layer of base coat, then normal layer of base coat, and let dry. Then thin layer of paint, another thin layer, then a thick/normal layer. When it has dried slightly (not hardened) its time for a thin layer of clear coat, and then a normal layer of clear coat

Your fingers will be stiff as fuck, there is a good chance you'll get drips and that a layer will be visibly thicker on a small spot and so on

I did it to my miata. Didn't use any clear coat and I painted the inside and out. Full respray. It came out great until about a year later and now it's fading.

Took my 3 weeks to do in the front of my yard and about 400 bucks worth of materials from home depot.

Be warned. It fades bad without clearcoat. It's also a bitch to paint with cans because you either recoat within 10 minutes or you have to wait 2 days to spray that panel again.

Don't mind the two little fuckups on the front right fender. That damage was unrelated to painting it.

Fellow florida-fag here

No matter what route you go with your car paint, INVEST IN A GOOD CAR COVER, AND MAKE SURE IT ISNT A CHEAP ONE

I cannot stress the "MAKE SURE IT ISNT CHEAP" part enough. A cheap one will do jack shit and scratch your paint up. A good car cover is a fucking god send in this damned state.

Sauce on this whore?

Like other user said, a small compressor and a gravity feed will be better.
You don't need high volume to spray so a xcheap compressor will be fine.
If you just do rattle can, cheap shit will last a year and then just be completely burned off just from the sun. You definitely want to spend the extra cash for real paint, not some 99¢ a can crap.

Did my dad's bike with rattle cans. Layers of purple and gold, then clear coat.

We sodablasted it beforehand and sanded between layers, and it came out pretty sharp.

Apply your paint with a bucket and a roller. It's cheaper and easier, no overspray, goes on thicker for less coats, and the texture will even out as it dries. What doesn't can be buffed later, you were gonna buff it anyway.

It's not like you can't do it but there's a 99% chance it'll look patchy when you're done.

Cans are fine if your work piece is only a few inches wide at most but by the time you get up to about 7 or 8 inches wide you gotta have some seriously good technique to spray without obvious patches.

I unironically recommend plastidip. Actual plastidip though, can't speak to the quality of off-brand peelable paints. It's easy to get it right and goes on fairly evenly without too much pain. You still need a decent spraying technique to cover large flat areas but it can be done. Of course it'll cost you a small fortune to do ~4 coats on a whole car.

>You're so delicate
>I love it

This bitch read your post and is laughing at you

I'd like to rattle her can.

>I´ve done two cars with a roller
million times easier. I've also done this and it looks fucking mint from 10ft.

Roll that shit on bro.