RX-8 General

For as long as I first loved cars, since I was like 6, I've always wanted an RX-8. Back then they were rather expensive, being somewhat new on the market, but now that most of them are over 10 years old, I can afford one now. Is my dream really still worth it, and will a 10 year old rotary engine with 100,000km on the clock still run good for a few years?

>For as long as I first loved cars, since I was like 6, I've always wanted an RX-8
nigga rx8 came out first in 2003! You are surely underage as fuck
>15 years since 2003
fug im old

>not getting the Short wheel base version with correct engine

The fact that they'll so cheap online makes me very nervous.

I mean fuck the FC and FD's where I live start at around $12,000 and you I'm seeing as low as $5,000 for an RX-8.

You'd have to be very careful that the previous honestly didn't just absolutely slaughter the engine and even then there is no guarantee it wouldn't fail soon.

I see them for 1-6k

Why are these things so cheap, they still make like 230hp, and 50/50 weight.

So you're admitting that you're not 18.
see

Because rotaries are shit.

They break a lot and get shitty gas mileage too.

All together class

>15 + 6 =

By the time you rebuild it 3 times over you are just reaching the price of an 86 though.

The Renesis engine is shit and the car was bought mainly for commuters that didn't know how a rotary worked or was maintained and they just want to get rid of it whereas the RX-7 is a more enthusiast level purchase so the owners know how to maintain it and they know the value.

They're cheap because they're notoriously unreliable. The rotary engine is a pain in the ass to deal with.
It burns oil by design so you have to check the oil every other fill up, and the dip stick is right nest to the exhaust manifold, so you better have some thick gloves.
They also don't last long. In general, the engine needs to be rebuilt completely every 60-80k.
Also. The gas mileage is TERRIBLE. You will literally get better gas mileage from a full-size GM truck with a V8.
>b-but it's only 1.3L
A 1.3L that guzzles fuel worse than many V8 engines.

If you truly want an RX-8 but want one to work on a daily basis, you'd better have the cash to LS swap it.

Don't be fooled by the number. They make like 160-170 whp. That's 86/BRZ territory.

they also have great chassis and handle well.

>If you truly want an RX-8 but want one to work on a daily basis, you'd better have the cash to LS swap it.

Maybe I am just autistic but this pisses me off so much. The entire appeal of this fucking car is the rotary engine. Why would you LS Swap it? You might as well have started with a Miata

>By the time you rebuild it 3 times over you are just reaching the price of an 86 though.
Why are you using that slow piece of shit as a benchmark?

The RX-8 is a pretty easy car to deal with if you get one with an engine in good condition. Best way to determine this is with a compression test and to avoid the 04/05 models.

Once you get one, just remember the following:
>drive often
>wait for engine to warm up before driving
>redline it at least once per drive
>go no longer than 3000 miles without an oil change, with optional top-offs in between

I haven't had to do any more maintenance on mine than I had to do with my Civic; air filters, brake pads, fluid changes, airbag recall, etc.

Because people dont know how to properly treat and maintain those engines. Most owners treat them like a regular cylinder engine, but the fact of the matter is that the rotary engine is a high maintenance engine.

If it isn't well maintained, it will have lots of problems. The low prices are usually people who didn't know how to take care of their car and damaged the engine somehow (most of the time)
Always ask for maintenance history and such when looking at a RX8

Unless the owner has taken care of it you'll need to rebuild the engine most likely. Also look into cat deletes and an oil injection system if you're nervous about taking from the crankcase. Premixing will kill the fuel pump or something like that, I think.

> and the dip stick is right nest to the exhaust manifold

It's to the top right of the intake manifold.

180 to the wheels is average bone stock.

A good catback, stock intake since aftermarkets one don't do shit for the rx8, and a retune could get about 205whp.

The factory tune is very rich.

You're not autistic user, an LS swap would be sacrilegious. The only interesting aspect of the car is the rotary engine.