Be honest. Do you drive/prefer automatics?

Be honest. Do you drive/prefer automatics?

no and no

Depends on the situation. In stop-and-go city traffic it is certainly nice.

Yep because I'm a real person who doesn't have the money or time to have an extra car worth getting in a manual to only drive on weekends when there's no traffic.

Automatics are faster, at least as reliable on average, cheaper to maintain, and less retarded to drive in any real world conditions.

No, but they are objectively better in many cases.

Only for my shitbox
Never on my weekend car

I don't drive one, but I'm open to one in my next car because there's no point to sporty shifting with my driving style. If I shift sportily now it's solely to compensate for the piss weak engine. Let a bigger engine take care of the torque, let the car shift, I don't care. I just wanna cruise and be comfy.

This.

Yes.

Yes and yes. Manual is fun on windy roads, but is annoying everywhere else.

Depends on the car. I had an E39 520 with an automatic. It was comfy and you could just cruise all day.

I have a MR-S now. Little Japanese go-karts like that or a Miata would super suck with an automatic.

>mfw fell for the manual meme
>thoroughly enjoy it now but have a feeling I'm going to get sick of it in a couple months
We'll see

Never driven one. But if it isn't manual, I'd only like to drive dct. Torque converters looks shit

I've never tried an automatic but im sure they are cool. just because you guys mock people who drive automatic and their driving skills doesn't mean that automatic cars are shit.

Never owned an automatic cause I can only afford old cars or shitboxes, so it doesn't worth the hassle. But I'd love some IS-F or a Giula QV

I thought the same thing

2 years later I still go for a joy ride every singlr day

I've been learning how to drive manual for the past couple of weeks. Today I done really well, the best I've ever done, then later on in the day on my next trip out I wasn't shifting as smooth as I was in the morning. Perhaps the traffic and tiredness just got to me. Also stalled coming out of a drive thru for the first time in a couple days. Pretty embarassing desu.

I'm fiddling with the handbrake technique for hills and today I was on a slight hill and I didn't engage my handbrake fully and my car nearly rolled back into the bitch's Fiesta behind me. Thankfully I caught it but it fucked up my preparedness for the green light so when the light finally turned green, I forgot I had the handbrake engaged and couldn't take off, perhaps a delay of 1.5 seconds and people were honking their fucking horns already.

But I like it honestly. Should I downshift as I come to a stop or just put it in neutral and apply brake? I've been downshifting but I don't know if neutral would be better or not.

Good to hear cause so far I've been really liking it. Just been goin around town haven't hit heavy traffic yet

I've been driving one for only a few years, but I still don't like the start/stops with mine right now. 3.73 gears so first is useless past 10/15 MPH, and I feel stupid from a stop light because cars tailgate me for 5-6 seconds or so while I shift up to 3rd unless I'm really trying. The loud exhaust doesn't help with that, because they probably think I'm really gunning it but I'm shifting at 2-2.5K. 2nd gear you have to slip it a decent bit to start in and I feel like it's putting excess wear at that point. If I'm on a downward slope I'll start in 2nd since I don't have to slip it much.

Sometimes I just want to relax in traffic and the added work is annoying, but other than those two I wouldn't go back. It's one of those things you don't really miss it until you lose it. I'd still rather drive manual 90% of the time at the end of the day.

You should at least experiment in driving through stop and go traffic. If you have time and nothing to do, go drive on the interstate at about 4-5pm and you will know what it's like. It's better to have driven in it for practice than have to do it for the first time in an emergency of some sort.

Not really scary or tiring, just a bit frustrating because you'll shift up to 3rd gear then have to come to a complete stop and do it all over again. Also riding the clutch in 1st, which is the worst.

>It's one of those things you don't really miss it until you lose it.

>Should I downshift as I come to a stop or just put it in neutral and apply brake? I've been downshifting but I don't know if neutral would be better or no

Depends on the situation for me. If it's a stop sign and I have decent space to slow down, I'll downshift and cruise until I have to clutch in.

If I have a short enough distance and I know for sure I won't be moving I just clutch in and neutral coast/brake.

You don't really want to be neutral coasting if you're just going downhill or really far away from having to stop. Something could happen in that time, and you need power available to move out of the way.

It depends, if you're stopping from higher speeds and have a long run up to the stop (for example coming up to a roundabout on an A-Road) then downshift. If you're stopping from about 30 or don't have a long run up then clutch in and brake.

I only have owned manual cars until now and enjoy them very much, I even hated automatics.
But at the moment I am lusting for a comfy car, and I even consider the possibility of choosing one with an automatic transmission

What happened to me? Am I getting old?

The only thing I'd get in auto is a proper land barge that's designed for cruising. Anything else, manual all the way.

Column shifted automatics + bench seats are GOAT. Guess I just like cruising and doing burnouts with a bunch of friends piled in.

I currently drive an automatic but I would prefer a manual, I don't live in a large city so traffic isn't a big issue.

if you drive autotragic you need to be killed for being the penultimate blue pilled beta cuck that you are

I've never owned one.
But I can see how they could be preferable, if you had to deal with lots of heavy traffic or aren't into driving for fun.

I've driven an automatic transmission exactly once. In fact that was the only time I've ever _been_ inside a passenger car with automatic transmission.
It belonged to a disabled friend.

Why aren't cars 1 down the rest up? rather than the stupid zig zag you gotta do

My legs don't work so i have to use a gaytomatic

>thread about transmissions doesn't immediately devolve in autistic shitflinging by underage busriders
You disappoint me, Veeky Forums.

Europoor here.
Sometimes I wonder why virtually every car is manual here. Right now I could not name ONE acquaintance with an automatic.

Ayye s10/blazer gang
>mfw manual with bench seat

I've never driven anything other than automatics. They're fine and get the job done but since I've never had the opportunity to try anything else I can't say if I would really prefer one type of transmission over another.

>Automatics are faster, at least as reliable on average, cheaper to maintain, and less retarded to drive in any real world conditions.
You have no idea how ridiculous and alien that sounds to people outside the U.S.

I live in the US and I know that is bullshit. Some people here just never tried to learn how to drive manual since so many cars are automatic. Only people over 40+ years old know how to drive manual here. And kids of course who just want to have fun so they drive a manual but no one else really does.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. My point was, people don't "maintain" their manual transmissions here - it's not a thing; like, at all (because it usually lasts way longer than the car does). And driving stick is like walking - you don't think about what you're doing, you just think about where you wanna go. The whole argument of manual transmissions being a hassle in traffic is bullshit only people who aren't used to it would bring up.

My personal vehicles are both manual, and the truck I drive for work is an automatic. I vastly prefer manual.

Rowing through gears and modulating the clutch makes for a more engaging, direct driving experience. Automatics, while practical, feel like appliances to me.

fell for the manual meme a few months ago.

how is it supposed to be more fun? or when will I start to have more fun. I don't get it

when you take off you just shift up until you are in 4th or 5th gear. like it does when you drive an auto

>chevy cobalt
WHY DID THEY STOP MAKING THESE

You'll get it when you manage a perfect downshift for a tight uphill bend. The feeling of extra power as you come out of the corner is pure sex, even in a shitbox.

I own a manual and an automatic. The auto didn't have a manual option, I've considered a swap but it's got more custom fabrication involved than I'm comfortable with.

I like driving the manual more, even with my partial city commute. Auto is boring. Maybe if I lived in a big city and got stuck in traffic jams daily like a cuck, I'd prefer auto. But I'm not stupid so I don't live in that kind of environment.

I absolutely can't stand autos one bit. I just feel like I lack control. I have no clue how anyone can stand an auto unless they cruise around in a land barge or minivan

Driving to and fro to work in Philly traffic I prefer automatic, but on the weekends I prefer manual. I'll break the bike out this weekend since the weather is nice then I'll ride it to work throughout the summer. I wonder how many times I'll get pulled over for lane splitting this summer ...

ive never really felt "lack of control" while driving an auto. if you know what you are doing you can easily make the car downshift or upshift based on throttle position

either way auto for big vee ate trucks and manual for small 4 banger cars and sports cars

No I sold my scirocco R because I didn't like the DSG, I don't care that it's faster

what should I be downshifting to for turns? currently I down shift to 2nd

It depends what speed you're going and how you want to exit the turn you massive faggot, that's the whole point of manual. It's your choice.

I wonder if the people who take the time to post this are genuine or not. Do they really mean it and believe it in their heart that choosing a car that shifts gears automatically is indeed the mark of a 'beta' male who apparently gets cuckolded to some degree?

Such an odd this to post even ironically.

No
If I had to commute in stop start traffic then yeah but I mostly drive for fun

I'd feel too anxious with manual, there's too much shit to fuck up that'll cost $$$.
I drive an automatic 98 civic hatch. There is literally nobody to teach me and the market for manuals in the poorfag range is God awful

I originally learned on an automatic. Parents wouldn't pay for my drivers ed course otherwise. So it became muscle memory to me. Passed my drivers license test on a manual. The instructor actually said he was surprised that I was driving a manual and that he's amazed someone of my age at the time (18, 7 years ago) was driving one.

Unfortunately every car I've ever owned up until last year was an automatic. That's probably just from me being lazy.

Anyway, last year I bought a beater neon es with a manual. Was difficult but I gradually regained how to drive a manual. It was so much more fun.

Anyway, that cars engine blew. I have a Charger I've been driving but I finally decided the other day to buy a manual for a DD and I don't think I'll go back for a long time.

When you drive a manual it's like you're actually apart of your car. You feel like it's really /yours/. That's the best way I can describe it. Sure, an automatic is fine if you don't care about all that but I feel like someone who actually cares about their car would prefer a manual over an automatic.

I originally learned on a manual*

Sorry.

I prefer them. But then again, I've never really driven a manual for long enough to form a proper opinion on them.

I just think it'd be a pain in the ass in the city, especially in traffic.

So, having a free hand to change climate and music controls with is always nice. No need to go from steering wheel to shifter to console to shifter etc. Etc.

Autos are just relaxing to drive.

Yes, I got myself a nice cruiser. Do I prefer it? Don't know yet. Haven't drove a car with a manual transmission for an extended period of time. Can't ditch my car for one with a manual transmission either.

Because they were killing owners due to GM being their usual cheap self's and not paying for a proper ignition switch.

They had to kill the Cobalt because everybody associated it with a death trap. The shit they replaced it with is pure shit. Fuck the Cruze

From a Brit perspective, I just find it weird that in America manuals are so rare. In the UK (and most of the rest of the world) manuals are by far the dominant transmission, and automatics are a thing for luxury barges and retards.

Most definitely.
In my west european country, you can only take your driving license in manual and so everyone does.

In my pre-adolescent life I used to be a major manual fanboy, my first self payed car being a e36 328i & later on a e46 330i i loved hooning about on empty bendy roads especially when going on car-vacations to neighbouring european countries.
While iv'e had the time of my life driving both cars, it all turned into fuckery as soon as i had a real job.

Now that my car is basically a rational means of transport and basically an office on wheels I enjoy the fuck out of the convert my automatic w204 c180 kompressor supplies me with.

So, am i wrong to say that, people who actually comute a lot and have grown to be more defensive rather than aggresive drivers prefer an automatic?

I'd also like to point out that all this dick waving about muh heal and toe shifting and mid corner braking is absolute autism and probably has zero advantages in your civic in the real world.

Sometimes, I wonder why after all these years I reply to these threads, but fuck it.

This. It's easy to make an auto shift if you know the car well enough.

Also, nothing wrong with 4banger autos. Dumbass teens and boy racers usually fuck up the manual trannys around here so you're better off with an auto unless you buy new

This is what I experienced .
Though I still have that voice that tells me I'm not a real enthusiast because auto.

But buying a manual for cheap is such a minefield

There's several cars in my family, including two manuals and two automatics. mine is auto, but when i'm back home we all kinda share vehicles depending on which one isn't taken. manual is definitely more fun, but for daily driving i don't mind automatic, especially since mine has paddle shifters, which aren't nearly as involving as a manual but it gives me something to do. i don't mind manual for daily driving either but if i had a long commute i would see the appeal

I drive an automatic and I've never even touched a manual.
I'd like to get a manual car eventually, but I'm not sure if I'd like it.

Yes. I drive an automatic WRX.

Its really not that hard. You shouldn't ever need to look at the stick a good manual will allow you to slide the gear in easily without having to align it 100%. So all you need to do is look/listen to the revs and you'll know what gear you need.

To be fair though I have never driven auto so no idea what its like. Actually would freak me out not having use the clutch for gear changes.

But over here its rare to get a auto and normally they are for disabled people.

Manual makes driving interactive and fun for me plus because you're using your 2 hands and feet and you have to think about your gear and rpm, I feel more focused on the road and my driving.
When I'm driving an automatic I start to feel bored and get distracted because I can afford to be distracted when I have a free hand and a free foot.
Also, I know some automatic cars have a first gear but most shitboxes don't and it really irks me not being able to be really precise / slow when lacking that first gear and a clutch.

fuck you I ride the train

No and no, even in stop and go situations.

Automatics, manuals wear out faster and lower resale value and make for a risky car to buy used.

I drive an automatic G6 to work and back everyday to save gas. It's not terrible, but I much prefer my manual RX7. If I didn't need to save gas, I'd easily drive the RX instead.

No on both counts. I like driving.

so if i hypothetically bought an 07 cobalt and had a mechanic replace the ignition switch, i'd be okay?

>left-handed transmission

No and no. Autos are only good for being stuck in traffic and eating tacos with your free hand in traffic.

>Bigger than Mid-size luxury / Executive car (E)
>Automatics

>Smaller than Mid-size luxury / Executive car (E)
>Manual

Some automatics are good, some aren't.

Autos I've enjoyed:
>1972 F350
>1990 D150
>2008 SLK 55

Autos I've not enjoyed:
>2008 A4
>2017 X5

Obviously the conclusion here is that automatics are more interesting to drive when the vehicle model has more than two characters in it.

This.
Most people are dumb. I would never ever buy a used manual.

With an auto as long as they do fluid and don't go to P on a highway they're fine

do you want to wear out your clutch or your brakes? not really a trick question, but for the most part it's just easier to apply neutral and brake, unless you drive a little more cautiously (I do) and downshift to be in power band and ready for other morons to strike

temple university here, 20 mile round trip every day. It gets annoying at times but every time i drive an automatic I cant wait to get back to my car.

Yes because I'm not Yuropoor terrorist and can have the luxury of Auto. While I don't prefer it, it helps in city traffic.

>Inb4 Autotragic Murrican kek

I know how to drive manual, Achmed. I just don't depend on it like a poorfag. We've had it since 1927.

>Automatics are faster,
Only in high hp applications, in 90% of commuter grade cars manual is faster.
>at least as reliable on average,
Hondas 80s auto trans missions, their V6 auto transmissions, Ford Taurus auto transmissions, Chrysler automatics in general.
>cheaper to maintain
Since when is a drain and fill more expensive than a flush and dropping the pan to replace the filter?
>and less retarded to drive in any real world conditions
Maybe in stop and go traffic but on the highway a manual is in one gear the whole time anyway.

planning on buying a 5.0 mustang soon, is it worth it getting a automatic or am i gonna regret it. ive never had a manual before but i have driven a manual car once

I've driven stick and manual forever, I can see the appeal of both but when I bought my most recent car I chose a Tiptronic. I like the feel of being connected to the car w/stick but I live in big city with horrific traffic, it's just not practical to daily a manual car here. With the Tiptronic I can manual shift when I'm driving to drive, and leave it in drive or sport when I'm commuting. Best of both worlds.

I have an automatic DD but I also have a motorcycle to hit twisties and go on adventures with

I drive one, don't prefer it, acknowledge its objectively superior in 2017 depending on manufacturer.

ab-so-fucking-lutely
then again, i prefer to cruise than be a takumi wannabe.
speeding tickets suck.

Autos kind of suck:
>worst eficiency
>higher maintenance
>less control over the car
>gets outdated
But then again it depends on the application, in a fat luxury car efficiency and maintenance aren't a issue and it will get outdated anyway.
But is all just opinions it's normal that some people prefer autos, ive driven both and I just got used to manual.
Americans in the other hand, 90% of them never touched a manual and defend autos anyway, so your opinion about manuals is just trash

Theres just no point where I live.

Only 'twisty' roads are out of the way and have really blind turns I wouldn't feel comfortable blasting around. If you're actually trying to get anywhere you're either on the highway or on a straight back-road or in the city.

B-but I'm a real person too.

I drive an auto (well, DCT). When I got my car I figured I'd prefer it in the city (0and was in a bit of a rush to get my first car). However, I'm somewhat yearning for a manual at times.
That said, most older adults I speak with like the hassle-free of auto; its really only the younger people that prefer manual.

Automatics are comfy and easy af to drive obviously but are boring.
Manual for that shifting aesthetic and also performance aspect

Depends on the car

Commuter like an accord auto

Car only I will ever drive like my vette, manual

Prefer autos with some control, i like being able to disable overdrive like D3 on my 5spd Accord

i deal with a decent amount of traffic and only use my car to commute so i prefer having an auto, plys i dont like beating on my daily... im getting a bike soon for the fun stuff.

1/2 my cars are auto.
No, I find it boring even in stop n go.

I drive an automatic. I use the paddle shifters when I need to save gas. It's not a stick and it's autistic but whatever.

Yeah, I enjoy holding my wife's hand while we're driving and we do that a lot.

How? here in Europe it's literally the other way around. everyone's driving manual and I don't know even one person (except me) in my family who owns a manuel. Autos are rare and tend to have much lover market value since people are either afraid of them (hurr durr maintenance is expensive and when they break you're fucked) or think it would be harder to drive

*who owns an auto