Turning a 190 into a EVO II

So im planning on buying a merc 190 and turning it into a project car, slowly turning it into a EVO II

seeing as the actual evo costs around 150k I assumed this would be a better choice. I have the equipment.

Good idea, or am I going down a financial hole that I wont be able to fill up

Other urls found in this thread:

mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/classic/museum/evolution-2-dtm-touring-car/
mercedes-190.co.uk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you want it to look like an EVO II or actually be an EVO II?

I'd say make it look vaguely like an EVO II and then just LS swap it. Not even memeing here.

At first I was actually planning on changing the look, but I want the experience with working with engines seeing as it would be helpful with my degree later on

but yes the LS swap does seem like a good idea

I'd agree with this cunt in that:

There's really no point in tuning the original engine (i.e. doing it how they did it).

If you wanted to keep it all merc stuff then get a motor from a newer one, you'll have to get custom engine mounts (probably) but at least you won't be following the footsteps of trained engineers who were trying to wring power out of a fairly small engine

You can learn plenty about engines without having to break yourself and your wallet by using a Mercedes engine as a platform.

If you have access to a TIG welder or know someone that does then you have a chance at pulling it off. If you don't then just give up now and focus on changing the look.

I have access to everything from a normal hand saw to 5 axis CNC machines and welders

I didnt make up my mind yet on the engine swap though, as my knowledge of engines and shit is lacking a bit, it will probably come after the bodywork though

The only reason I say LS swap is because the LS is the only engine that is both lightweight, and has the aftermarket to make unholy amounts of power, all while costing under $2000 for just a longblock. The transmission options are endless, and it's packaging is great considering other engines of its displacement.

I would consider a manual dog box T56 transmission. That way it's strong and you won't have to fuck with it later when you want to make a boy howdy amount of power.

As for the differential I would go find a Ford 9 inch rear end and then fabricate a custom carrier for it. Then machine some spline adapters for whatever axle setup you are running. You'll need a custom driveshaft, and here in the US that's pretty easy to do since there's a driveshaft shop on every corner.

>Then machine some spline adapters for whatever axle setup you are running. You'll need a custom driveshaft, and here in the US that's pretty easy to do since there's a driveshaft shop on every corner.

Im in europe, but I could probably make those myself

Ah, well then that changes things alot. I'm not even sure where you would get an LS over there.

You could always just uproot your life and move to the United States all for this single project. :^)

I want to believe.

I'm very curious to see your progress as I have similar Frankenstein ideas.

I'm not pretending I know what I'm talking about but I'd say the easiest point to start is the wheelbase. Modifying a driveshaft, angles, hanger bearing, etc is easy but the first problem will be the distance between each hub on the same axis. If the MB only have ex. 5 feet to fit the engine trans, and some kind of custom suspension for the evo drive train which is 6 feet wide, your gonna have a bad time.

Again I'm no expert I have no idea how to do this but power to ya and good luck

or just sell my shop and shit, and just buy one then live in it
become the gopnik king

>le LS swap maymay

Drop a honda k24, the evo II had a 4 cylinder

If you're gonna swap in a new engine anyway, why not go for objectively the best balance of physical size, weight, performance, reliability, aftermarket and cost?

Because the LS is fucking lazy as fuck??? The DTM evo II revved to the moon

>Obkectively
Objectivity doesnt exist

>The DTM evo II revved to the moon
Then do something like a destroked SBC or LS, like the DZ302. If the engine bay can fit a V8 it's a waste to go for anything less.

>Sbc or LS
>Revving to 10k

Dumb pushrod fangirl

>190 Evo II
>revving to 10k
dumb namefag

>DTM evo II
>Not revving to 10k

mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/classic/museum/evolution-2-dtm-touring-car/

Alright 9.5k, but my point still stands

Meanwhile the street version revved to 7700. You can build an SBC that'll hit 8000 no problem.

Why would anyone buy ubreliable piece of shit old mercs

Why would anyone want the street version?

>how dare people buy a car that they like

I want a non meme

Because good luck finding a full-blown race version and registering it for street use?

Not one person posting in this thread now has any idea how to build a 190E for any variety of performance application. Christ.

mercedes-190.co.uk if you actually want advice on how to build a fast 190E. Bear in mind it's not like building a drag Mustang, making a fast DTM style car costs a lot of money.

>mercedes-190.co.uk
thanks man, will come in handy

Yes, everyone should just ride the bus like you.

Good thing You can build a replica with a 4 cylinder that revs to the moon and isnt a lazy v8

And get it through yurop's inspections without a hitch, surely.

Holy shit what part of this do you not get?

I'm interested in the 190 and old mercs in general, therefore I insult to bait people to give me the pros and cons of the car and through defending it tell me what I need to know.

Dipshit

Bear in mind those aren't stick on arches, you need to cut, a lot. And the wing isn't as simple as it looks either, it's adjustableand EXTREMELY expensive. Also you won't fit a V8 in that bay without serious cooling issues. If you want more cylinders go M104 with a 6 cylinder front end (the front clip is different) or if not just go with the 2.3-16. the 2.5 is rarer, more expensive and doesn't rev as high.

How many layers of reverse psychology are we on, here?

>American belives all european countries have the same regulations

As usual

>he actually believes a full-blown racing engine replica in a street car will pass inspection anywhere

You can register ANYTHING with lights and an engine in the UK.

>inspections

>Bear in mind those aren't stick on arches, you need to cut
yeah, it was the first thing I looked up when I started looking into the project
>2.3-16
I would actually prefer this to the LS

Too bad a k24 can rev to 10k with just some bolt ons

OP lives in yurop, so yes, inspections are a thing to worry about.

>moving the goalposts this hard

An LS in a 190 is a stupid non starter idea. Ignore totally anyone suggesting it because they've never owned one.

K20*

>Fallacy fallacy

If you want to swap a vee ate into a 190E, you'll probably have to get rid of the steering box and switch to rack and pinion. Even with the RB20DET swap I had problems with the steering box and linkage. The transmission tunnel isn't that big either, as a reference a Nissan RB20 gearbox will fit fine but I suspect the RB25 gearbox wont. Of course, neither will be a problem for the determined fabricator.

If you want a stronger Mercedes differential without having to do too much fabrication, you could try an ASD diff from a W124 24V or V8. The smaller open diffs are weak and shitty, don't bother with one unless you're gonna weld it.

t: Merc guy

>v8 fangirl ragequit
As expected

He's just a dumb American who's never owned a Merc, don't encourage him by pretending it's not a dumb idea

Your burgers are showing user

It's not necessarily a dumb idea. LS engines are pretty good. For once Americans managed to make something decent, and I see no reason to shit all over it.

It's a really, really dumb idea. For one thing, have you seen the prices of 16 valve 190Es? Swap the engine and watch that price shrink to a third. And then you're swapping to rack and pinion steering. And then you're finding somewhere to put the rack while having a great big bloody V8 there so you're trying to fit two pints of piss into a pint pot. It's a non starter idea by someone who's never worked on a car.

alright, the LS is off the table
2.3-16 is the next choice then

It's the only choice unless you have the cash to buy a £20k car and end up spending £10k to make it worth £5k when you're done.

Wasn't an EvoII, but my first car was a 2.3-16 190E 5sp. Fuck I miss that thing. Would have been a great start for a project like yours

Meeeeemmmoorrieeessss

Putting a V8 in a 190 seems like a cunt. There's a thread on 190rev or another 190 forum of a guy who did it. Looked like a waste of time. I'd put a popular high revving 4cyl in there. I6 is too heavy Imo. F20c, 4g63, sr20. I think I'd go for the f20c myself.

pretty fucking sure the EVO II had a 2.8l straight six

Nope. They're all 4cylinder Cosworth cars.