POST PROGRESS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QGIKrD7uHu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for no progress all shitposting

/agdg/ is a FOSS zone.

Non-free cucks stay out.

>not languagedevving and then enginedevving in your language

What an inspiration you are, OP, to posting progress with your no-effort OP.

I couldn't remember all the other shit that is supposed to go in the post. Plus, I myself haven't made any progress since my last progress post.

So I want to dev for a bit but I have no ideas. What do I do?

youtube.com/watch?v=QGIKrD7uHu8
This has some cool shit

>not just fucking copying the text from the previous thread
I see you are an enginedev.

Reminder to do this:
>List props;
>List items;
>List characters;

And not this:
>List entities;

Use assets to make a generic game, like a CoD style FPS. It'll get your creativity out and not be of value or any real work in the end.

>not making a list for each individual entity

wat

Of course if you only have one entity of a type, you should just store it by itself (like the player). If you have a fixed number, you should just use an array.

Props don't do anything, they just sit and render. Why lump them in with entities that do other things so that you have to use an interface with an empty method and introduce a lot of overhead as well as pain since you can't work with the type directly, it has to be through an overriden method?

Eh, but then I would have to get a 3d engine and most likely install visual studio.

what's the diference between the OOP approach and the component one in terms of performance?

I mean, making all that complex component design versus simply iterating the entities usign a foreach loop?

Naw, Unreal doesn't require Visual Studio. Also, just use sprites to make a generic platformer in your 2D engine.

Can someone please explain to me the differences between Maya and 3DS Max? Is one more suited to certain types of games than the other? If so, what?

In terms of performance the naive OOP approach is awful. Virtual method calls for everything, many of which do nothing, no opportunities to optimize for cache, etc.

Popular incarnations of ECS (putting every component in a massive table or something like what Unity does where each entity has a list of components) are just as bad.

A garbage OP for a garbage general.

Get out.

>actact.c:152:5 expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '

>unironically using C

A garbage defense for a garbage OP for a garbage general.

Actual Garbage Dump General

A garbage reply from a garbage poster.

Please end your life.

Also I don't see how the component approach is complex. The main loop is more involved (though still straightforward), but overall it's much simpler and more flexible.

I like it.

Proper thread

can you guys give me a small tidbid of code showing how is used?

or some youtube lecture about it?

>come up with clever algorithm to handle a problem
>it requires a numerical derivative
>you only have function values on a unstructured mesh

Is the little trash man upset that he lives in a pile of trash? Boohoo.

I came up with that structure myself, but there's nothing special to it. It's pretty standard for procedural or functional programming.

If you have a specific problem in mind that you can't see how to implement, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

>Code being ignored in two if statements and not running
>For loops always out of bounds when they aren't

Unity is trash

You're trash. Learn how to use your tools.

Hmm so this is the shitposting thread right?

>Learn how to use your tools
>When the code is structured so correctly even babys first java program could run it

You're shit user. Where's your game nigger?

It will be the actual thread if people keep feeding it posts. There can only be one general per subject and the general that 'lives' is the one with the largest post count when a janitor comes by.

Pixel artist here

Taking more requests for drawings for their game

here is the last one I did for an user

yeah, I guess is basically making every class about a diferent component.

but how do you iterate through the enemies by example?

People like this thread, fuck off.

Any ideas for makes first person stealth fun?

I'm not doing any see-through wall shit. I will probably attach a light to the front of enemies though, so you can know which direction they are facing by their light cone.

Well, you pick what components enemies should have, and you iterate through them, calling the systems on the components. If you find that you can group the enemies based on the presence of components further, break down the enemy class again.

Make thief gold again

kek

First they came for the OP pasta, and I did not speak out-
Because I was not the OP...

Yeah, you can start by not using basic controls, that shit kills fun. I hate the basic Unity controls, they feel so awkward, develop your own unique controls that add a certain level of fun and difficulty, your game will be 10x better.

TECHNOLOGY, i.e. lots of ways to interact with the environment to get past guards.

That's what I'm doing.

nice art heist clone (or whatever that game was called)

GOOD JOB FOR SWITCHING TO UNREAL.

can you make 3d models in UE4 or do I need Blender or Maya to make the levels of the game?

If the code itself isn't to blame I know exactly what your problem is and I'm not going to tell you the solution since you seem to think it's the tools fault and not your own for failing to learn how to properly use the tool, you need to learn the hard way. Sucker.

Whack a Planar Reflection actor on that floor

Generally you make the models externally and then import them to UE4 to make the levels.

Though UE4 does have a mediocre BSP tool which can make basic geometry.

>screen space reflections
>planar reflections
>not doing reflections as part of global illumination

I'm not getting it, basically I need to make a for loop to iterate through every component.

In the end I need to make a loop to iterate.

I'm not getting it still, pls forgive me.

>game wildly oscillates hundreds of fps

Talk about inconsistent performance.

First, stop using that crosshair, it gives me a very FPS-esque vibe. Here's a script you can put in your HUD blueprint that'll just a basic circle in the middle, it looks better than Unity's, trust me, or I can make you a crosshair if you don't like the dot in the middle approach.

You should create modular components outside UE4 and put them together in UE4.

You don't iterate through the components, you iterate through the entities. Yes, you have multiple for loops instead of one, but the individual loops are 1) iterating over smaller lists and 2) doing less work inside. Even ignoring the gains you can make in terms of cache-friendly data layout and branch coherence, you will do less work overall because you aren't calling lots of virtual methods that are implemented to do nothing for many of your entities.

>having a crosshair at all

I've already moved away from using the crossair. That is an older webm. Plus, all art is just placeholder. I've got actual gameplay and enemies to design first.

If he's doing a bank-robbery game, you need something to help indicate that your pointed in the right direction. I hate those first person indie games without crosshairs that expect you to pick shit up, giving you no indication you are actually hovered over the object.

>not doing the classic "sharpie on clear tape" trick

You'll want to do it with Maya or Blender then export to UE4. You can block things out in engine with BSP volumes, but you'd never want to make final 3d models that way.

Well, use my blueprint, the crosshair is slightly bigger, and better looking. (don't ask how, for some reason it just looks better)

In that case an icon with the action to be performed should be shown, but having a crosshair 24/7 is unnecessary in a non-shooter.

Floating text that indicates you can pick something up and that your hovered over it pisses me off severely.

Yeah, but I just feel lost without it, it gives me a sense of knowledge at what i'm looking at. It's nice to have.

By the way, those icons that appear to pick things up should be transparent images, it makes them looks better and it gets in the way less.

How would you guys feel about a whole game made with no textures?

With proper lighting and shadows, I don't think it looks that bad.

Thanks for the information guys I wasn't sure because I am learning Blender right now and I already know programming but need to learn how to make art before I can start making my game

That shelf clearly has a texture.

It would be extremely painful to look at.

Is this the next step in lazy nu-male game design?

check your texture privilege shitlord

whats her name?

3d modeler here

Taking requests to make models for your game

Big thanks to the guy who gave me the tip for the laser trails!
I just detached the children now before destroying the parent, which made them fade out. Finally.

you're acting like it hasn't already happened

Which is the best 2D game engine?

Cybernetic cardboard box

Your own.

Paid: GM
Free: Godot

Can anyone help me out? Using Unity and for some reason I cant individually edit any keyframes - whenever I change a setting on one its shared by all other keyframes in the clip.

is Blender made for aliens?

Get out of here you Godot's Witness.

not even aliens want to use blender

I use GM but GM ain't free.

Thanks for the (You)s no dev nigger

yes

Blender is pretty fun to use

It's the classic FOSS "we are freedom fighters so we can't follow any established conventions and instead need to reinvent the wheel in very unintuitive ways" meme.

I hope this wasn't an actual attempt at pixel art because this is fucking garbage.

NANI?!

what, you mean you don't like having an avalanche of pointless information shown and crucial information hidden brhind menus? That's crazy man.
You know you can remap controls to match maya/3dsmax etc., right

alrighty gonna stick to 2D

Blender is made for aliens in the same way Maya, 3ds max, uv unwrapping, topology, rigging etc is made for aliens.

Well, someone help me. My movement script isn't working, the character is taking input because I have mouse movement and jumping setup in the same blueprint. My axis movements are setup in the project settings. What is the fucking issue?

Why isn't there an easy to use and learn 3d software modeling software? Whoever first makes an easy one to use and learn will become rich

use 3ds max user
is way better

I love this "Blender is a huge fucking mess because 3D is inherently complicated and totally not because it's just a poorly designed tool" meme.

>not langaugedevving then osdevving in your langauge then enginedevving in your langauge and then gamedevving a game that only works on your OS