Why in the fuck would you do this?

Hey Veeky Forums, I don't really make a habit of posting here but I have a question for auto enthusiasts that I'll never get an honest answer for anywhere else.

What do people get out of flooring it while driving around residential areas? I don't care if people want to rip around on back roads, but what is the appeal of making your car as loud as possible then ripping around town at 1am? Or honestly even just flooring it when you pass someone walking their dog or something.

Do the people doing this think that I think they're cool? Is it a "fuck you world I'm the man" thing?

Appreciate any responses, no hate towards general car fans, just wondering if any of you can answer this for me.

If you have to ask you will never know.

Pure and Simple
Adrenalin.
Think doing 65 mph on the free way. Not really dangerous.
Doing that same 65 on a side street is like doing 100 on the freeway.
Now im not saying its a good idea or acceptable but really that is what it is. Some of us are speed junkies. It takes us a lot of will power not to bury the pedal every time we feel the urge.

>tfw redlining in 1st gear at 3am in a vee ate with straight pipes

I live in a big city and i can't get to any backroads easily. Having said that, i drive a lot late at night so I'll floor if I'm in a big avenue or if I'm in a narrow street with no pedestrians.

And no, there's no ulterior motive to why I do it. Just for the fuck of it.

(By late at night I mean 2-4AM)

>What do people get out of flooring it while driving around residential areas?

Nothing, they aren't fun roads to drive on, even at speed. They probably are too stupid to know where the good driving roads are.

I think you're missing my point. That's fine, I've been with people ripping around on back roads. I'm asking why people do it in residential areas. I'm talking about the guys that gun it between stopsigns in circles around town. I'm talking about the guy that floors it for a second when he's driving past people out walking then has to immediately break because of a stopsign.

This is understandable as well. I'm living in a rural area though, and we're surrounded by great driving roads. But these guys choose to rip around town keeping people awake instead.

Honestly I assume it's just a "fuck you listen to me" kind of thing.

Fair enough, most of them seem to be teenagers.

Here are a few thoughts from my younger days:

* They're making life more exciting. I was bored as fuck when I was younger, and I generally made things more interesting by procrastinating and then trying to make up for it by rushing. This meant regularly doing 45mph in 25mph neighborhoods.

* They're antisocial, or at least testing the boundaries of behavior. There's a reason 17 - 24 year old males are targeted so heavily by the police. Their brain isn't yet fully matured, and they're testing boundaries all the time. They commit violent crimes and generally behave like self-centered pricks.

* They haven't suffered losses. Young people tend to not fully empathize with others. I know a guy who watched his daughter's best friend get run down and killed by a guy speeding in front of his house. I've lost a few important friends and relatives to various deaths. I empathize much, much more with other people, and I realize the potentially terrible possible outcomes from my own behavior. When I was younger, I only really thought about the risk to *myself*.

fart can go kart here.
One reason could be there's great twisties in the residential area as is the case here near my house.
But I absolutely fucking hate being woken up in middle of the night so I usually go and drive through that twisty at speed limit and enjoy the road and sights.

Some people are just petty cunts. Just because you're a fellow car person doesn't mean you can't be grade A cunt.

Alright. Thanks for the perspective. I'll be honest and I'm not too proud of this, but when they wake me up I'm basically praying to hear them crash and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I keep my RPMs high and my exhaust loud in residential areas because I hate my life and if I can annoy other people to bring them closer to my level of suffering, then my day is slightly improved.

I respect the honesty, I'll continue praying you drive off a bridge.

Like every other thing in life now...attention.
If they get 1 person to turn their head and look, they practically semen in their pants.

Negative attention is still attention.

I make a habit to NEVER look at any non-turbo shitbox when they are fartcanning around with their ebay exhaust. I'm not going to justify that faggotry.

Incidentally, when I was a kid, my grandparents owned and operated a motel. They would get furious at us for running in the halls (sooo tempting to run down those long, carpeted corridors) or speaking in anything other than hushed tones while at the motel.

The last few times I've stayed in motels, I was awakened at 8am (having been out drinking and playing cards the night before) by a loud-ass family of fat fucks literally yelling down to their other family members from right in front of my window.

Another time, I was awakened at 7:30 by some fuckhead on his Ducati who let the fucking thing idle (with an aftermarket exhaust) for a good ten minutes *while he loaded his shit up*. Goddamn. When I leave a motel on my motorcycle (stock exhaust), I push it around with it off, ideally coasting toward the road if it's downhill from my parking space, worst case starting it as I'm already rolling and holding it just above idle through the parking lot. And when I pull in at night, I cut the engine and coast into my parking spot.

It blows my mind of self-centered people are.

>*
R*ddit go and stay go you fucking fag.

They want attention.

Fuck you jay walkers

What the fuck is wrong with you, asshole? Not everything is greentext around here, noob.

Same

Testing the car? I used to always get complains from neighbours.

Attention whores

I only do it when someone is being an asshole like a biker is riding half into the car lane when they have a bike path or bike lane they could be in. Or if some asshole takes like 20 minutes to cross a crosswalk or something. If people are minding their own fucking business I don't be an asshole back.

LOOK AT ME I HAVE A CAR THAT I AM PROUD OF LOOK AT IT

I bet there is nothing going on in their heads except something like this:
> there is an open space
> floor it
> brake hard

I bet people are doing this to keep themselves entertained as doing something (accelerating/decelerating/shifting gears) gives more emotions than simply coasting

As a car fan I think it's a normie thing to do because I hate speed bumps and doing this shit makes people want to put in speed bumps

I go 5 over in residential areas and in neighborhoods, 5-10 on rural roads, and 10 on the interstate,

>be me
>own fun car
>also own fwd 90hp shitbox
>everywhere I drive in my shitbox I take corners way too fast, drop the clutch at high rpm, pull the hand brake randomly.

Why? Because it makes a mundane car bearable to drive. It also makes me laugh when I see other people do it. The other day some bloke took a corner at twice the speed he should of, watching the body roll of it made me near piss myself, where it had some decent suspension it wouldn't have even been humorous.

I'm getting pretty sick of hearing screeching tires in the morning. I live in a nice-ish suburban neighborhood and it's always someone in a fucking SUV doing it. All the people with Mustangs/Camaros seem to drive reasonably responsibly around here.

My car is loud as fuck stock and everyone thinks I'm going 9001 mph in my neighborhood when I'm going 25.

I'm op, I live rural and it's usually trucks. The odd teenager driving dad's nice car and like you said some suvs.

I DO IT BECAUSE ITS FUN AND I GET FULFILLMENT OUT OF PISSING ENTITLED FUCKFACES OFF

NOTHING MAKES ME MORE CONTENT THAN PISSING OFF MOM AND DAD AS I BLAST THROUGH THEIR FUCKY LITTLE NEIGHBORHOOD GOING 85-100

ANARCHY FOREVER

>(By late at night I mean 2-4AM)
Get a fucking job, you worthless piece of shit.