Pre-modern Flag Thread

Pic related is old Korea flag

女眞

Pic related is the Canadian red ensign, it was my countries flag before prime minister Pearson changed it in 1965. The lions and fleur de lis on the insignia represent the shared anglo-french culture.

What's the story behind this flag? What do the colours mean, and why would Koreans put a Daoist symbol on their flag?

*country's

This. Why do Koreans use a Chinese Tao symbol? Is it because there were Chinese monarchs ruling old Korea or why?

The Aztec symbol from which the Mexican coat of arms originated.

this question is as retarded as why europeans use middle eastern cross symbol

I didnt want to offend anybody. In my defence I'd say that an user asked it before me.

Coat of arms of the Principality of Theodoro, a small Crimean state and the last vestige of the Roman Empire. The Roman influences are apparent.

Flag of the Beylik of Karaman. No, they weren't Jewish - they were Islamic. The Star of David is known to Islam as the Seal of Solomon, King Solomon being revered as a great and wise ruler.

Is Korean flag the worst flag in the world?
>has nothing to do with Korea, the symbolism refers to Taoism, a Chinese religion/philosophy
>literally designed to some Chinese diplomat's specification
>ugly and overtly weeaboo
>complicated to draw
Yes.

Before a plebiscite changed it you mean to say.

It's not the worst flag ever, trust me.

At least it's about Guam and not China.

This one is worse.

>a fucking carpet

or this one

>a literal black cock

It's comfy.

What you don't like cocks or something?

Bonus shitty flag: Liberia edition.

Eh. You could say the same about the Nordic flags, displaying Christian crosses, which was a Roman religion forced upon the Nordics as well.

Looks comfy

My flag history
Ukraine

This is the first. It represented the Ruthenian lands *old term for the Ukranian areas of the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth . We still sometimes refer to some western parts and people there as ruthenians. They have a differant dialect but they are so culturally close. Like Texans in America

Then there is this flag which symbolized the Zaphrozhian hetmanate. Red and black were also used by cossacks of Ukraine but the blue and yellow were the standard

Then after the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth was split most of the ukranian lands went to the Russian empire. There was some mixed veiws but it wasnt until the late 1800s nationalism became popular. Russians allowed Ukranians to become nobles and have status. This was uncommon under polish control to my knowledge. Ukranians under Russia often flourished culturally and the panslavic udea of the 3 rus peoples helped this. Under russia we formed a identity and a common veiw. Some russians didn't like this and put some restrictions on us but nothing that stopped us from developing.
Many of the authors and poets identified with the empire but still veiwed themselves as not true Russians

Nikolai Gogol was a popular Ukranian Russian. He wrote in Russian but was of ethnic Ukranian origin.

Then after ww1 we were independent for a bit and there were many flags. This one was the most common

Under the soviets we had this flag for a bit

Forgot picture

We then were given this flag. The blue represented our cossack/ruthenian heritage and gave us a symbol of identity instesd of just a red flag

When the Soviet Union collapsed we decided to take back our post ww1 flag. The colors were a part of our national history and reminded us that were a common people

This one is my favorite because it also has our coat of arms on it

Raven Banner used by Norsemen in battle

it is cool

>Roman Catholicism
>Christianity
Nah, I don't think so.

Korea was free for most of its medieval history and it really became a tributary state when the newly formed Qing dynasty invaded Korea and forced subjugation (Korea only recognized Han Chinese as real rulers of China).

Also, they used those symbols because Chinese culture was widely adopted by Koreans since ancient times; it's not a product of Chinese rule.

good meme