llvm.org/docs/tutorial/LangImpl01.html
daydreamanatomy.bandcamp.com/album/royalty-free-loop-pack-vol-1
math.andrej.com/2012/11/08/how-to-implement-dependent-type-theory-i/
andres-loeh.de/LambdaPi/LambdaPi.pdf
twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper/status/841773679860166660
emojicode.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not languagedevving

Yo, where's the NES mecha piloting sidescroller demo?

Languagedevving is a stupid meme. You can't just make your own language. It takes years of theory and fucking around with assembly code.

>You can't just make your own language.
Watch me.

>It takes years of theory
Okay.

>and fucking around with assembly code.
Not even. You can generate C, you can use LLVM, etc. In fact that's encouraged (LLVM in particular) because you get all the optimizations as well as contributing new use cases for more optimizations to be made.

Good luck, you'll be the first person on /agdg/ to do this ever.

New move thingy and parallax scroll.

mockup of customization UI

should i leave the drunk/concussion mode in as a toggle? its distracting me from working on the game because its fun to mess with.

>make walls 10 units wide
>space them exactly 10 units apart
>get seams

I guess this is why people don't use UE4.

>upskirt

I would say drunk walk would be side to side, but yeah, that'd be cool

>still no "how to webm"

Yes there is tools.aggydaggy.com/tools.html

Is there an A* heuristic for decent multi-level pathfinding? Ideally stately with only the next tile, the starting tile and the ending tile as input
I'm making an xcom train game

please keep all the accesories at least rpg parody light.

don't go full tf2 with crazy inconsistent stuff.

different guy, here's the thing I have from the other week

> WebM Resources
OBS: obsproject.com
Webm for Cirnos: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

I finally have enough done in my turn based combat system to post real shitty progress.

Or you did it wrong

A wall 10 units wide, set 10 units apart shouldn't have seams.

here's my generic A*, by the way. Just takes a few lambda expressions

I guess it isn't 10 units wide and 10 units apart then

u got it baby

oops
pastebin.com/Qv6TcSxi

so how are you doing this?

Should I use quaternions for all my rotations? Are there any downsides?

Nah, some anons have done their own scripting languages.

I do have years of theory under my belt, and it will be a full systems language with capability to enginedev.

>Nah, some anons have done their own scripting languages.
>believing these memesters
Where is the proof?

I'm developing a functional shader language for my dissertation. Languagedev isn't as hard as it once was now that llvm is a thing.

It's not that hard, user.

For a scripting language the parsing is the hardest part, and even that's taken care of simply by parser generators or parser combinators.

Tileable floor and tileable wall done.

Next up is a door.

>now that llvm is a thing.
What exactly do you use llvm for?
Write a language that compiles to llvm bytecode(?)

All that I need to do now is find an effective method of rejecting empty space in a shader that will actually function with good performance. Not had any luck so far.

>first person on /agdg
There's been many others, myself included.

LLVM handles translation to machine code and an executable for lots of platforms as well as a lot of optimizations.

You can also go from LLVM to shading languages like SPIR-V or even GLSL.

Anyone using Clickteam Fusion 2?

I want to have my game window be 854x480, but I want the game to be 640x480. Is the way to go about this stuffing a frame into a frame and scaling?

Khronos provides a translator already for SPIR-V, which is what I use. You don't even have to output llvm intermediate representation directly. There's an IRBuilder that allows you to just emit abstract instructions and have it handle generating the intermediate representation for you, then you can convert to whatever shader language you need from the IR. The challenging part is designing the language, not actually making the compiler.

>The challenging part is designing the language, not actually making the compiler.
I'm not going to use LLVM :^)

What challenges did you face designing yours?
Why are you making an FP shading language?
I think i've seen a few others on agdg mention doing something like this unless it was all one guy.

If you're interested in learning about this, try this tutorial
llvm.org/docs/tutorial/LangImpl01.html
the first three chapters are basically all you need to implement a language suitable for gamedev.

Should fluorescent lamps like this use point lights, or cone lights?

test: which ones correct, left or right?

Pixel artist here back at it again

I will draw you anything for your game to practice my art skills

Did you see my post about the Horizon: Zero Dawn method?

I can't tell because I don't know how to say left and right in Korean

Anything more like this minimalistic pixel art? Really nice style to look at.

reposting for feedback
anything that needs fixing?

I want to know more, langfriends

I like your sprites, user.
Nice work

The background looks more like foliage than ice.

Royalty free loop pack I made not long ago, 38 loops, it's only been downloaded about 28 times so none of it's over used. Post it here every so often.

You can donate but no oblication, just type zero in the pay fieled.

daydreamanatomy.bandcamp.com/album/royalty-free-loop-pack-vol-1

Area lights. Point lights are unrealistic and cones are just sections of point lights.

>friend of 12 years removed me because i put agdg first instead of playing league of plebeians with him

The thing inside the O is dumb
but it also made me do a double take and pay more attention

>Why are you making an FP shading language?
Because GPUs are (or used to be) naturally stateless and side-effect free, so a functional language seems like a natural direction to go in. Functional shaders have a lot of benefits on the side as well - for example, you can force things like energy conservation required for PBR implicitly using a type system, so that the compiler will automatically warn you if your BRDF isn't energy conserving.

>What challenges did you face designing yours?
The big challenge will be exposing the things that aren't stateless that were added in more recent shader models. Image load store is particularly worrying. I haven't quite reached the point where I have to figure it out yet, but I think I can just rip off the IO monad from Haskell and make a few changes.
>I think i've seen a few others on agdg mention doing something like this unless it was all one guy.
I think I mentioned it once before when trying to decide if I should attempt it or not. Maybe someone else liked the idea, I dunno.
Octrees and distance fields would be two good candidates for that.

My language is going to be kind of like ATS but not nearly as ugly. Dependent type theory applied to a systems language, basically. Dependent types let you make more descriptive and restrictive specifications for data and code using types, and allows proving theorems to keep everything safe while getting rid of dynamic checks.

UE4 doesn't have area lights.

I'm sure that was the only reason

Make it a status effect after receiving enough force to your head.

>putting this shit place first before your friend
>not playing games with friends as social interactions
>using random reaction image
You deserve it. Now your friend can get a better friend.

>Image load store is particularly worrying.
I dunno about that. You could split up shaders into passes based on loads and stores, for example, and have them simply be inputs and outputs. The monad approach would work, but might be too powerful and lead to a lot of unwanted synchronization unless you can guarantee that each shader invocation reads/writes to a disjoint location.

Sad!

I'm over my head reading about langdev but I really love it recently. I also love FP and have been thinking about GPU programming but pretty strongly dislike C++/CUDA.

I've been looking for a >best way into understanding dependent type theory. Probably regular type theory first? I played a little with the lambda calculus and it was fun, maybe deeper with that?

nah you were a shitty friend among other reasons don't lie to yourself user..

are you faggots still arguing over arbitrary shit like lighting?

you can make anything look good in any program if you have the means and willpower

The key to understanding dependent type theory for me was actually implementing a small dependent language (the type checker, at least). Check out these:
math.andrej.com/2012/11/08/how-to-implement-dependent-type-theory-i/ (series)
andres-loeh.de/LambdaPi/LambdaPi.pdf

I hope someone answers because I'm also interested in this

Took some nice looking muzzle flashes from Warsow to replace my old one. Weapons can also specify what muzzle flash they can use when firing.

I'm also replacing my placeholder uzi with a plasma gun, taken from Red Eclipse. It'll probably function similarly to Doom's plasma rifle.

Beginner here. Anybody got good tips for starting out in GameMaker? Maybe some easy tasks? I fucked around in it a little, but nothing too serious. I'm not sure what to do now.

here is another sound testo agdg
twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper/status/841773679860166660

Thanks much, these look really great. A bit surprising but really exciting that others in /agdg/ are into this stuff. I suppose a game engine is a pretty all-encompassing testing grounds for a language.

The only downside with quaternions is that most people don't fully understand them, myself included

I'm pretty sure you can just use any mesh with an emissive material. Both lightmass and light propagation volume lighting will use it as an area light. I think there's a box you need to tick somewhere to make it happen, though.

>wanted me to hack his 3ds
>tell him to google it
>wanted to know what kind of sd card to buy for his 3ds
>he is too lazy to know this
>doesn't even own a sd card slot or hub
>tell him to buy one
>i dont have the money for that
>they are like 6 dollars
>tell him if he can't figure out the microwave tier 3ds hack instructions he wouldn't be able to figure out how to get games and im not tech support
>r e m o v e d
>he goes to play league of legends with a friend of his who cucked him
>more time to dev

post progress fellow nofriends

Learn complex numbers. They have a real component and an imaginary component. This leads to a representation of a magnitude and an angle that is easy to work with, e.g. quaternion multiplication multiplies the magnitudes and adds the angles.

Quaternions are just a generalization of complex numbers, with three imaginary components instead of one. This leads to a magnitude and a rotation in 3D. The operations all work the same way, e.g. quaternion multiplication multiplies the magnitudes and "adds" the rotations, i.e. rotates one of the operands by the other. Usually people just work with unit quaternions where the magnitude is 1, so it's just a rotation.

>>tell him if he can't figure out the microwave tier 3ds hack instructions he wouldn't be able to figure out how to get games and im not tech support

basically insulting your friend and calling him stupid

and you wonder why you lost your friend

user...

It's like... Boku is a zombie and each time you show that picture it is deteriorating just a little bit more.... just a little more grey... just a little more hollow inside.

>cult classic

WHAT

Is it even worth bothering with Godot or should I just shell out the $100 for GameMaker?

I would try and make my own engine but I only know Java T~T

game maker is cheaper then 100

just pirate it

Try it and see if you like it, it's free.

>You could split up shaders into passes based on loads and stores, for example, and have them simply be inputs and outputs.
That's actually not a bad idea. Images in glsl aren't coherent anyway, so dealing with synchronisation isn't necessary unless the user explicitly requests a coherent image. Maybe instead of the coherent qualifier in glsl I could have a coherent monad. I guess I'll figure it out when I get to it, though I'm getting close to just saying that I'm only supporting features equivalent to glsl version 330 so I can draw the line. I only have a few months left of the project and I don't know if I want to stay on for a PhD or not.

What did he mean by this.

Gamemaker 2 is fiddy bux if you already own 1.

Which language is the most fun

just use game maker studio 1 it's free

How finished should my game be before I post it?

Haskell

What kind of space are you trying to reject?

Any FUNctional programming language

emojicode.org/

Think of it this way, if your game was finished, there would be no point in posting it.
We're here for feedback. If you're looking for outside input, even if you've only just started, then post. Or if you're just proud of whatever you've done, that's fine too.

Honestly I would just not bother with the load/store stuff. It's pretty niche. Having a type system that guarantees energy conservation is enough of a killer feature!

I'm a little sad that python won in that space of languages, because ruby is best girl

rate my pixel skeleton

I hate doing menus

i came up with a title for my game but it doesn't really fit my game

should i trash the title?

or should i try to make it fit with my game?

Needs to stop jerking his bone so much.

It's super garbage; I would strongly recommend uninstalling your computer.

4/10.