Slaves

Why the word slaves come from slavs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/esclave
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Greek#Consonants
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am noticing a severe lack of grammatical participles in these OPs.

>why [noun] [verb]?
with no "does", "do", or "did" to bind them.

This seems to happen with alarming regularity.

No it didn't. That etymology was pushed by German autism in 19th century.

In reality those are linguistic false friends. Slave comes from Latin "clavis" meaning "key". Late latin "eclavus" from which "slave" is directly derived meant "captive", i.e. someone locked up.

Slavs on the other hand come from Greek rendition of Slov(i)ane, the name which Slavs call themselves. Slov(i)ane comes from "slovo" meaning "word". Thus Slavs actually means "people who speak our language".

Veeky Forums fucks with my grammar i think it's just the anonymous aspect of this site that people don't feel like editing their posts

/thread

>"Slave" coming from "Slav" is most likely just a meme, since the older version of "Slave": "Sclavus" has c [k] in it.

But there were a lot of Slavic slaves thanks to:
>Slavs fighting Slavs captured a lot of Slavs and sold them west through the Slave markets in Prague
>Fragmented Slavonic tribes on the frontier often got subjugated
>Crimean Tatars hunting Ukrainians and selling them to Ottomans

No, it comes from Slovo which means "letter" or "speech", people back then mostly identified with their language, people who didn't speak Slavic were called "Niemcy" which means mutes, i.e. people who didn't speak the language. In many Slavic languages Niemcy is a word for Germans. Pan-Slavists think that it came from "slava" which means glory, but imo thats just wishful thinking.

you're really black, ain't ya?

???

Yeah the East Europe area had a population demographic that made slavery and serfdom proliferate to a high degree.

Because Russians are the dominant slav ethnicity people assume all slavs are Russian.

its because germans are quiet and russiansare yelling all the time.BLYAAAAT

Niemcy originates from nemoy, which translates as deaf.

nemoy means mute not deaf
On the contrary to my experience and I've encountered enough of both groups.

Slavs were black. Then after the 1917 revolution when blacks overcame the white Tsar to form the negro's paradise, Germans invaded Russia and systematically murdered all the slavs and rewrote the history of Russia to be white.

technically it came from the french, esclave.

but yeah, /thread

>t, Ivan Ivanovich Ivanovsky

Fucking German spergs and their historical fanfiction. Good thing we silenced them in 1945 :^)

nyemoy if something and it means "the dumb ones", not "deaf ones"

actually it can also mean "not ours"

ne - not
moy - mine/ours

What about Servia (Serbia)?

>In many Slavic languages Niemcy is a word for Germans.
Also, in the language of everyone's favourite slav'd latins, the romanians.

Nemici in Italian means "enemies"

Yeah, from Latin "inimicus" from in-amicus, "not a friend"

Its SerBia

What about Greek/Latin transliteration?

t. Ivan Ivanivskiy

Nope

Here is the info you all are looking for

They also have "germani"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream

And the word robot comes from romanian. Robot means slave.

czech actually

Excellent post
Germans and history just do not mix well

No.

Nice job in nearly persuading the retards of this board.

nice theory you got there, but where did the "c" in "Sclavus" came from?

Czech autor by the name of Čapek came up with that term by deriving it from the word robota..

nope

It can also mean "Don't".

In any case, "nyemoy" or all other such mishmash Russian or Polish pronunciation is off the beaten path. From what I've heard Slovenian is the nearest to the oldest, original Slavic in vocabulary and pronunciation. So we should look up what deaf is in Slovenian.

Fun fact: the Finnish word for slave, "orja" came from Iranian "Arya".

So who is in the right?

OP BTFO'd

Where did the "s" come from?

the one that's not /pol/paganda

Ask yourself these:

1. Slavs call themselves slavs, and always have. Would you call yourself a slave? The alternative is that you call yourself "a person who speaks the word", which makes sense, since you can speak to other slavs, who also "speak the word".
2. Slavs call themselves slavs, and always have. Would you call yourself by another language's word about you? The alternative is that you call yourself by the slavic word, your own word, which means "people who can speak".
3. The opposite of slav is njemec, or "people who can't speak". This is used historically for the germanics, who are people living next door to slavs. It means nothing in latin, but in slavic it makes sense - the slavs you can speak to, the germans you can't speak to. They can't speak the word.
4. The word for slave predates the mention of slavs.
5. The word for slave only sounds like slav in modern english, not in the latin form.
6. The word for slave has a different root to the word for slav.
7. The romans didn't border with slavs, and had little contact with them.
8. Slavs were never a big portion of roman slaves, ever. Why name them slaves, when so many other people were the commons slaves?

Basically Occam's razor - Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

>13 century

The word slav was used to describe slavs a thousand years before this.

>1. Slavs call themselves slavs, and always have. Would you call yourself a slave? The alternative is that you call yourself "a person who speaks the word", which makes sense, since you can speak to other slavs, who also "speak the word".

Blacks refer to themselves as nigga quite proudly

And they don't refer to themselves as slaves.
Also some black philosopher will explain to you the difference between nigga and nigger, as they are known to do.

That's exactly that shit etymology developed by German nationalism as per . Back then linguistic served a role in dick waving contest between nationalities over who's the greatest and who has most rights to given pieces of territory. What's saddening is that some modern books still uncritically copy this.

The theory that "slave" came about after the conquests of Otto is simply factually incorrect. First of all, Latin "enclavus" is attested long before Otto was born.

Secondly, Slavs were known to German speakers as "Wenden" and only to literates as "Slavi". If there was any name for slaves that could have developed from the German vernacular, that would be some derivation of "Wenden".

Thirdly, that "c" is etymologically impossible to be derived from Slavi.

Fourthly, there was no conquest of Slavs by Otto. Otto manages to subjugate Slavic princedoms in modern Eastern Germany, but it was peaceful and the princedoms were left to their own devices. They even retained their own chiefs and weren't Christianized. That was hardly something they could produce huge ass number of slaves. When Otto II actually tried to set up administration in Slavic lands, the Slavs rebelled in 983 and BTFOd the Germans. And then they BTFOd them again in 1056. Only the Wendish Crusade of 1140s managed to conquer the Slavs.

>Also some black philosopher will explain to you the difference between nigga and nigger, as they are known to do.

Literally this thread

The word ''Sloveni'' comes from the root word ''Slovo'' meaning (letter, word), and -Slavs- is just anglicized or Latinized version of this.

Just suck dick.

Is this Slavophobia the product of the Red Menace Scare Propaganda aimed at the former USSR?
You know there's many groups of Slavs and we weren't all Soviets, right?

CЛABA!

Deaf in Slovene is gluh. Mute is nem and Germans are Nemci.

Truly I am now enlightened

Thank you based Genghisposter

Nyemoy is mute.
Ne moi would be "not mine" (alternatively "don't wash something")

What language are we talking about here?

My money is on russian but i'm not a gambling man.

I'd assume it's derived from pre Old Church slavonic (Proto slavic) word rather than modern nyemiy/nyemoy. To be honest, the only ones that would probably come in contact with germans in their current position excluding crossing in from Finland would be either czechs or polacks in later times, but then again there were migrations so it's difficult to pinpoint.

Alright, I checked the etymological dictionary and the Proto-Slavic word was reconstructed as *ně̑mъ. Nyemoy from that post seems to be Russian (written as nemoj). The Old Church Slavonic word is the same, ně̑mъ.

>Romanian
I knew Romanians were stealing cars and purses, but even words now?

>1. Slavs call themselves slavs, and always have. Would you call yourself a slave? The alternative is that you call yourself "a person who speaks the word", which makes sense, since you can speak to other slavs, who also "speak the word".
>2. Slavs call themselves slavs, and always have. Would you call yourself by another language's word about you? The alternative is that you call yourself by the slavic word, your own word, which means "people who can speak".
>3. The opposite of slav is njemec, or "people who can't speak". This is used historically for the germanics, who are people living next door to slavs. It means nothing in latin, but in slavic it makes sense - the slavs you can speak to, the germans you can't speak to. They can't speak the word.
The Slavs didn't call themselves slaves, it just came to mean slave in other languages after many of them were enslaved in the middle ages.

>4. The word for slave predates the mention of slavs.
Proofs?

>7. The romans didn't border with slavs, and had little contact with them.
>8. Slavs were never a big portion of roman slaves, ever. Why name them slaves, when so many other people were the commons slaves?
The word first appears in Byzantine Greek who had much contact with them, then spread to Latin and Arabic.

>The theory that "slave" came about after the conquests of Otto is simply factually incorrect. First of all, Latin "enclavus" is attested long before Otto was born.
How do you get sclavus from enclavus?

>Thirdly, that "c" is etymologically impossible to be derived from Slavi.
The "c" is epenthetic, the cluster /sl/ did not exist in the Greek language.

??

Didn't answered my question

see

>How do you get sclavus from enclavus?

Through Old French "esclave".

>The "c" is epenthetic, the cluster /sl/ did not exist in the Greek language.

Yet somehow we have attested personal name Eslagoras.

Also, "v" didn't exist in Medieaval Greek. Although Greeks added "c", they would render Slavs as "Sclabi", not "Sclavi". Therefore the Greek connection between Slav and slave is a dead end.

>"Sclabi", not "Sclavi"

Or, more correctly "Sclabenoi" instead of "Sclavenoi".

>Through Old French "esclave".
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/esclave

>Borrowing from Medieval Latin sclavus (“slave”), from Late Latin Sclavus (“Slav”). Doublet of slave.

Also enclavus became enclave in French, not esclave.

>Yet somehow we have attested personal name Eslagoras.
It was syllabified es.la.go.ras.

>Also, "v" didn't exist in Medieaval Greek. Although Greeks added "c", they would render Slavs as "Sclabi", not "Sclavi". Therefore the Greek connection between Slav and slave is a dead end.

It did.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Greek#Consonants

>The shift in the consonant system from voiced plosives /b/ (β), /d/ (δ), /ɡ/ (γ) and aspirated voiceless plosives /pʰ/ (φ), /tʰ/ (θ), /kʰ/ (χ) to corresponding fricatives (/v, ð, ɣ/ and /f, θ, x/, respectively) was already completed during Late Antiquity

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA
Slavshits rekt with logic and evidence.

Muslims liked steeling slavs for slaves. The Ottomans loved that shit. The Moors took more French, Italian slaves. The Ottomans were just really good at taking slavic slaves.

I cant tell which one you're talking about

Are you saying the romans didn't have a word for slaves, despite owning slaves for hundreds of years, until they met the slavs and named it after them?

More like with appeal to the dictionary. This screenshot doesn't argue anything, it just mentions it and you choose to treat that as fact.

/thread

anyone arguing past this post confirmed for butthurt germans & turkroaches

No, it just replaced the older word, servus.

In that case you aren't pushing the idea that "slav" and "slavic" comes from slave, rather the other way around.

I know, but the guy I was replying to is denying the opposite as well, pushing a nonsensical etymology from "inclavare".

In your original post you only replied to me, and I never made such a statement.

Never mind, I see you quoted someone else in the second half, and just got the wrong post number.

>Book written by a Frenchman, where local identities were extinguished through ghastly measures.

Memes aside, Russia is an excellent example of how geography determines destiny. There is a reason why Russia constantly degenerates into autocracy and the USSR was no exception.
The reason why Russia's geopolitical strategy ever since Ivan the Terrible has primarily remained the same - for the Russian people to survive they needed large tracts of land to fall back on. This was their defense in the event of invasion as Russia's two most vulnerable areas are easily accessible via the European Plain. Examples of course include Napoleon and Hitler who both invaded Russia's most vulnerable areas - others are of course the Polish and Swedes.
So in order to maintain survival Russia has to fall back and if you look at their colonisation process they stopped every time they met a major geographical barrier and then constructed cities. Now these cities were so far apart and so isolated that they lacked the ability to be self-sufficient and all are reliant upon Moscow.
Moscow is Russia. Without Moscow there is no Russia. I know it seems silly, but think about it. The Government has to control these ethnically diverse regions, the distances of which between them increases exponentially (Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk but each supplies the other in a chain), - the logistics are mind boggling to comprehend. So Russia has to be autocratic, it has to follow a 'realist ideology' in regards to the international system in order to maintain its very survival.”

Greeks pronounced "b" as "v" and one of the early Byzantine emperors wasn't very fond of Serbs, hence him denigrating them as "Serves" instead of "Serbs" .

"Many Slavs" usually means several subjugated tribes, not the entire ethnicity.

True, the men were trained as bodyguards and harem guards, some were killed for their hair, and women were harried for harems and nurseries.

There is a lot of truth in your statement, but you also have to consider one thing.

All historical sources irrefutably show that the Slavic area was the main reservoir of slaves in the whole period of Early Middle Ages, beginning probably in the 6th century, and with a peak around the 10th. This preference for slaves of Slavic origin – so strong as to make Slavs the slaves by antonomasia – has been easily explained: in that period Slavic people were the only ones who were still pagan, and this detail is most important as it explains why, by choosing them, early medieval slave traders – mostly Venetian, Genoese and Jewish – did not violate the new principles of the “Societas christiana”, introduced by Pope Gregory the Great at the end of the 6th century, according to which baptized people must be excluded from slavery. So we've obtained a safe dating for the word sclavus, in the sense of “slave”, which will be approximately the period between the sixth and tenth centuries. Source "Interdisciplinary and linguistic evidence for Palaeolithic continuity of Indo-European, Uralic and Altaic populations in Eurasia, with an excursus on Slavic ethno-genesis" by Mario Alinei, 2003.

Basically, Slavs were hunted down because they've had dignity and have refused to accept Christianity in the way Germanic and Latin people have.

True, but that is rarely mentioned in Western historiography, they only seem to be interested in the Ottoman conquests, the Mongol invasion of Russia and the initial campaigns of Otto.