What's the point of tachometers?

What's the point of tachometers?

You can just listen to the engine instead.
My first manual cars didn't have an RPM gauge and I got along just fine.

I really wish they would stop putting useless junk in cars.

They're for baby boys who want to pretend to be race car drivers.

It's useful for learning how quickly your revs drop off in a car between shifts imo.

If you live anywhere other than Florida or Mexico, it's useful to know where your RPMs are in cold weather to reduce engine wear. Yes, you could just keep them as low as possible, or you can give yourself some more room while still being safe.

but you can hear the RPM
It's a linear relationship between RPM and engine frequency

whats the point of mirrors? i can hear cars behind me

What's the point of speedometers?

You can feels the speed by the sound of the wind instead. My first cars didn't have an speedometer and i got along just fine.

What's the point of blinkers?

I already know what direction I'm going.

What's the point of an altitude gauge on an airplane when you can just eyeball it?

I only use mine when I'm skipping several gears on the way up so I don't come off the clutch when the revs are too high. i.e I get to the motorway speed limit at the top of second, so when I'm drivign like a dick I floor it in1st then 2nd and put it straight into 6th

whats the point of a gas gauge if i can just fill my tank to full and do the math in my head and refuel when its about 1/4th empty. i mean throttle and fuel consumption is a linear thing.

You really don't need a tach tho, my Toyota pickup doesn't have one, nether does my festiva or Volvo
I just shift when I feel like it or when the engine stops pulling if I'm trying to go fast.

What's the point of steering wheels?

You can just move your body left and right to steer instead. My first manual car didn't have a steering wheel and I got along just fine.

I really wish they would stol putting useless junk in cars.

Not every engine is capable of being known what the redline is just by hearing it. I have a shit fit and anything over 3000 rpm sounds like it is having an aneurysm. The engine vibrates a lot, no more power is actually made, and all I do is waste fuel.

On the other hand, my rx8 has a 9k redline that was placed there to protect the tranny. Rotaries are capable of going much higher than 9000 and the tachometer was there to warn you that you can fuck up your tranny if you don't shift. And, if you feel the engine of a rotary, you know it is hard to tell based on noise alone because of how smooth reving they are.

>Actual helpful answers on Veeky Forums

Get out

It's another Veeky Forums is full of professional drivers who don't need _____ episode.

A tach is a major advantage. Deal with it.

lol

(OP) #
Not every engine is capable of being known what the redline is just by hearing it
So go by feel?
That's what I do, it's easy.

This, my current car doesn't have a working gas gauge so I just calculate how many miles I can go before getting a full tank based off of mpg and tank capacity.

Stealthbragging is not a honorable skill

You missed the part about cars capable of giving more and revving higher than the other components can take

>Rev limiter stops you from going past this point

Hitting the limiter then shifting is slower than glancing at the tach and shifting just before the limiter in a car that keeps pulling

>hitting the limiter

Shit tier driving m8

and after 1 hour of driving a new car, you don't need the tachometer anymore because you can simply hear it.

My shitbox doesnt have a working speedometer or working tac so get on my level plebs.

speedometer can be easily replaced with a smartphone
tachometer too, with CAN bus over bluetooth

They do this in California suprisingly enough

BMW and Audi are legally exempt from blinkers

>Hitting the limiter then shifting
Why would you do this?
The engine isn't designed to pull all the way up to the rev limiter, power drops off before that
read above, you shift when the car stops pulling hard, not when you hit the rev limiter

To be honest you can still drive fine without a tach or fuel gauge
My bikes doesn't have one i just fill it up when the reserve light comes one
My twingo didn't have tach and it never bothered me

I have a base model Focus for my DD and despite being manual, it doesn't have a tach. Just a "shift now" light that comes on too soon.

I want to swap in the better dash that has a tach instead of doing one of those gay fucking ricer pod ones, but apparently the wiring to make all the dials and lights work is a little involved.

Top kek

>radio on high volume
>can't hear engine because I don't have a vee ate or a fartcan
>be very thankful for having a tach

/thread this stupid shit already.

What's the point of cars?

You can just cycle or catch the bus instead.
I don't have a car and I get along just fine.

I really wish they would stop allowing people to buy these huge, gas guzzling and emissions making cars that one person only ever seems to drive.

>I have a shit fit and anything over 3000 rpm sounds like it is having an aneurysm

What year?
My '12 Sport sounds find at 3k.

My 90 Chevy doesn't have tach, but it's loud so i just listen to revs

whats the point of speedometers? you can just go with the flow of traffic instead.
What's the point of fuel gauges? You can just fill up at every gas station instead.
What's the point of water temp gauge? You can see steam better.

Have you ever driven a rotary?

Lol what's the point of eyes
Literally just listen to shit and feel things LMAO fuckin useless shit on ur face

How would I know that my engine hasn't been sealed off if not for a tachometer?

> Example of a well known car, sold a lot of units
> Two well known issues
> A) strong vibration at 2250 is this engine's particular harmonic balancer failing (thanks Obama)
> B) strong vibration at 2700 is this particular engine's swirl valve (throttle body aft of intercooler) failing
> You call a mechanic, car is vibrating when accelerating
> "Yeah, these engines have a few issues but they can be straightforward to troubleshoot. Tell me, is the vibration starting at 2250 or up around 2700 on the tach?"

> I dunno man, I don't like cars with tachos you know what I mean? Just more useless shit crammed into the car. I can hear when to change gear and feel the powerband.

> "Yeah cool........ We charge $110 an hour, bring it on in so we can find out how fast your engine is spinning."

>You can just listen to the engine instead.
Yes you can, but it's nice to have a precise indicator of when to up/downshift.
Especially when I want to keep a good l/100km / mpg.

>his car doesn't have a shift light from the factory

Its nice to know glance down and know you'll fall back in the power band.

This

how else will I know how many Tacos I am generating?