71' Mustang...Questions!

Hi guys. This is actually my first post, sorry if i have broken any rules. I'm about to buy this 71' Mustang from a private owner but I don't know a whole lot about cars in general, besides the basics. But - I've always admired these cars. I'm graduating college and I think it's great - but I feel like the guy is asking too much. Looking for some thoughts. Here are the facts: He's asking $7,500, but "negotiable". I ideally wanna pay $3,000-$4,000 Engine is a 221 Cleveland, obviously not original. Automatic 88,000 miles but the engine might have more (unknown) Drives great (I drove it). New tires and brakes. Power steering, power brakes. Modern radio. No horn (broken). Outside looks good besides a little rust here or there - BUT a very messed up interior. The right side of the trunk is rusted out and the springs are broken (you have to hold it open). The carpet and interior in general is torn up and very worn. Check out the photos and let me know - am i getting ripped off? How much should I actually be paying for this. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks guys!

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/YrTAa
cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6079419166.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Additional photos here:

imgur.com/gallery/YrTAa

pretty sure that there is no 221 cleveland

give him 6500

>221 Cleveland
wut. There's a 221 windsor but not a Cleveland. It's worth more than what you're willing to pay senpai

Give him $6000 then go pull an LS from a junk yard van, and get some sheet steel, a grinder paint, and a welder to fix the rust. With your left over money get some less faggy rims.

hmmm. really? Even with all that rust and broken parts? Did you guys see the photos?

In whole interior is really torn to shreds and it's missing some things. Even with that - near $6,000?

>LS swap
>those wheels are bad

dumb GM fangirl

its almost a 50 year old car user, its clean

That rust is an easy fix, unless the frame/underbody is fucked. Just remove and replace.
A horn is a pretty inexpensive part. $500 and a good upholstery shop/detailer will clean up just about every interior. A trunk spring is also cheap (could also have just popped out of place)

>dumb GM fangirl
gottem :^)
stay b& faggot

Isn't that a 351 Windsor in the imgur?

Thanks for your help anons - I really don't know shit.
How much is it worth if everything was intact?

>stay b&

clearly I am not

>clearly I am not
yeah because you're a ban evading nigger whose only goal in life is to shit up this board.

>vinyl top 71 notch with heinous wheels and nothing original
$1200

duh???????

Block strengthening rib behind the water pump marks it as a 351 Cleveland

4000-4500
>Non original wheels
>Crusty sheet metal repairs with booger welds
>Looks like ok paint job but based on interior sheet metal may bubble in a few years because it's probably over surface rust and doors aren't lined up with body/front fender correctly
>Crusty 351 in who knows what shape could need rings/bottom end shit in a little while
>Little bit of jiggaboo'd wiring and stupid looms

Looks like a driver and a 20 footer. I'd drive it, but a '71 isn't worth that damn much.

Also, I promise there are rusty pinholes under that vinyl if it was an original vinyl top car, and he's hiding much worse if it wasn't. It was originally grabber yellow, a far superior color.

I think I would have preferred the original yellow or pale green over the try-hard black, but oh well.

>The right side of the trunk is rusted out
That's not really anything but surface rust. It's rusted out when you see through it.

>trunk springs broken
I'm not seeing the tails of the trunk springs that go in those three hooks on either side so I'll bet they're missing

In all, the car looks like an inferior refurbish job but as long as it's protected from the elements should maintain it's appearance for some time. $7500 seems a bit steep and there's no way he'll go as low as you want (which is about where I am too fwiw). Even though you won't find another as nice for even the $7500 anymore I still wouldn't go over $6000, I'd rather wait for a nicer one even if it's considerably more.

thanks for the help anons. im gonna offer $4500 and pray

Whats your general area, I'll find you a better one on craigslist.

Chicago - but im limited by price really. What im offering is about what I have.

Any advice on talking him down?

Not OP but the car is in Chicago. 1070 W. 15th Street in the pic and Street View looks consistent with what's in the pic

Tell him it's a ragged out piece of shit and you don't want it too much but if he'll take 4500 you'll give it to him.

Everything looks like a rusty pile near chicago so far. Are you sure you want a mustang?

not super attached, just like the look of these

Here's a comparable over in Iowa. Price is more in line though.

cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6079419166.html

There are some super nice 61-67 Falcons in your area and at or less than your budget. A mustang is very similar to a falcon and the 64-67 Falcon has similar styling. A little more unique, less of them are rusted to shit, get a cheap one with a six in it and learn to deal with the quirks of a carburated vehicle with primitive electricals and zero idiot lights. 4500 is not all you would be spending on that mustang, there is the cost of tools, fucking shit up here and there due to inexperience and stuff that just breaks. I made the mistake of spending more than I should have on this fairlane and two motors later I traded it off for an 80s F250. The classic life is not for everyone and you should know what you're getting into.

>I'm graduating college

Is this going to be your only car and a daily driver?

Yes. Only car. Mistake?

Buy a civic hatch instead and add a few simple mods with the leftover cash.

user...you takin the piss?

op recently watched 13 reasons why and now wants a mustang because one of the characters has one

i fucking hate that series and the impact it has had