What are the origins of ebonics? What slang and lingo did Southern African Americans use in their tenure as slaves?

What are the origins of ebonics? What slang and lingo did Southern African Americans use in their tenure as slaves?

Other urls found in this thread:

musanim.com/miller1956/
linguisticsociety.org/content/what-ebonics-african-american-english
twitter.com/AnonBabble

one part dumb Hicks not being able into English two parts dumb niggers not understanding the finer rules of English grammar

africans don't think at the same information band as whites. european grammar requires more computational information, and thus a mind only partially capable of performing the computation necessarily leaves higher orders of information out of the sentence

musanim.com/miller1956/

pic related to link.

the majority of ESL students in schools are monolingual blacks and mexicans

Lots of linguists think that it came from a creole language being standardized and mixed with standard English.

Creole languages popped up in every slave society because slaves from different cultures needed to work with each other and communicate with their masters. In the US, this eventually became standardized and kept blending more and more with standard English with events like emancipation happening.

Yeah, this is wrong though. Creole languages integrate aspects of both languages in terms of grammar. Ebonics has zero aspects of west african grammar. It simply takes english and removes features.

Ooga Boogas learning English from cousin-fucking Cletuses

That's bullshit m8

We can think in English

Not exclusively

There's been many additions such as the habitual "be"

this
/pol/ dumbfucks don't realize that ebonics used to be spoken by poor southern whites too. It only became associated with blacks when they migrated to the inner cities in the 40s where this dialect wasn't spoken

I should add, the open syllables are a Niger-Congo trait as well

Much like how Japanese transliterations of English words are open syllable

yes, but the partition of time is especially painful for your. ESL learners from east asian countries don't find it particularly difficult because they have a regimented neurological framework of time.

the pain of describing emotional content in terms of ordinated heirarchies of time is nearly impossible for blacks

strict divisions of time, gramattically, become less common the further you wander away from europe/china.

that's not a holdover from an african language, that's a misapplication of the present participle.

a holdover from an african language would be grammatical prefixes, or using complement verbs to create a quasi-past or quasi-future.

>crash course history: ooga booga edition

>Creole languages integrate aspects of both languages in terms of grammar.

Creoles are hard to make rules and predictions about because of how varied they can be. Especially in a context where speaking in one of the contributing languages is kind of impossible (slaves weren't exactly kept together based on language, and lots of English-speaking indentured servants were working with them). Either way, no one knows exactly where it comes from, and there are lots of explanations for it, but most of them include some kind of creolization and decreolization.

linguisticsociety.org/content/what-ebonics-african-american-english

>liberals believe ebonics is a west african english creole
>leftists also believe ebonics was learned from white southerners
>leftists still self-assess as intelligent

>yes, but the partition of time is especially painful for your. ESL learners
I think you should take ESL, buddy boy
>ESL learners from east asian countries don't find it particularly difficult because they have a regimented neurological framework of time.
Conjecture
>the pain of describing emotional content in terms of ordinated heirarchies of time is nearly impossible for blacks
You're spouting a wild hypothesis with no evidence
>that's not a holdover from an african language
It doesn't change the fact that it's a habitual be alongside the present participle be

Languages change

Listen, if you hate niggers and raaagh and all that stuff it's fine. But spare me this pretension of reason.

>sees people with different ideas and assumes they are a monolith that holds both ideas simultaneously

I gots no idea mane but shit is real lit up in this bitch kno wat Im sayin ya feel me homie?

>everyone who disagrees with me is one person

Stop embarrassing yourself

The habitual present tense is a feature of Irish. Irish and Africans would have come into contact with each other. It would be interesting to see if Irish had much of an influence on Ebonics

>african languages have no past or future tense
>africans cannot use english past or future tense properly
so wut u tellin me iz, we wuz TIME TRAVELERZ N SHIET?

>no past or future tense
Are you serious right now?

Use your common sense

Open a book

In my native Twi for instance we conjugate as follows

Using the verb "k⊃" (to go) I put it in the 3 most basic tenses:

Present: Kwabena k⊃ sukuu. = Kwabena goes to school.
Past: Kwabena k⊃⊃ sukuu. = Kwabena went to school.

Future: Kwabena bεk⊃ sukuu. = Kwabena will go to school.

Notice the past form is just extending the final sound, which happens to be "⊃" here. The future form adds "bε-" as a prefix to the verb base.

How would we get anything done on a regular basis if we didn't use past and future tense?

man how do you people get over here. jesus

first of all, I don't think you understand what past tense means, you can google it

second
>how would we get anything done
you don't. that's why you came here from ghana.

He's an alt righter, arguing without memes and buzzwords is literally impossible for him

we wuz user and shit?

>man how do you people get over here.
There's these magical contraptions called "airplanes"
>I don't think you understand what past tense means, you can google it
Was my example not of or referring to the past?
>you don't. that's why you came here from ghana
How about no? I spend half the year running between Accra and Kumasi, the other half in the states

We're one of the most stable and least corrupt nations of the continent and due to become second or first world by 2020 to 2030

No one uses Ebonics as a name anymore.

One example people seem to think that Blacks developed this on their own despite the fact the had huge contact with whites so many of their dialects features come from European immigrants and their languages or aspects of Euro influence through Southner English

>It shares a large portion of its grammar and phonology with the rural dialects of the Southern United States. Several creolists, including William Stewart, John Dillard and John Rickford, argue that AAVE shares enough characteristics with African Creole languages spoken around the world that AAVE itself may be an English-based creole language separate from English; however, mainstream linguists maintain that there are no significant parallels, and that AAVE is, in fact, a demonstrable variety of the English language, having features that can be traced back mostly to the nonstandard British English of early settlers in the American South.

Hell the unique parts of that dialect are still unknown on it's exact origins.

That was the whitest attempt at Ebonics I have ever ecountered

nah. whites didnt speak ebonics. they had similar slang but it wasnt ebonics

its all whiteys fault