twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pretty accurate but I'm sure some autist will rage over 1 or 2 of them

>carthage

Gotta love this meme well maybe Roman carthage was

Carthage was always larger than Rome until it's destruction

>Merv
Somehow I doubt it.

when the fuck was NY the largest?

It's fucking me up that there's a 2nd Thebes in Egypt that was at a point the biggest city.

How did Iraq go from that to....

On top of this, is OP talking about Manhattan or the Five Boroughs?

tenochtitlan, noobs

What's the point of making this map without writing down the time periods ?

in 1950 it was almost 13 million

>Cordova
no
>Fez
no
>Catahoyuk
>Talianki, Drobrovody, Maydanets
????????
>Polonnaruwa
when?

As far as I can tell it's based on Chandler's list here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_throughout_history

this

Would also clarify a lot

The Thebes in Egypt should be the FIRST Thebes you think of. Its certainly more famous than the Greek one, or whatever one you're thinking of.

What? There's only one Thebes in Egypt.

Didn't realize Tokyo was the largest. Thought it must be somewhere in China. Weird

man i wish it had the year next to each city.

It's amazing how important Paris has been historically while always being relatively small.

Also Athens.

The thing is Paris and Athens were the most important in what Spengler calls the "culture" stage of their respective civilisations. That's the time when the civilisation is still growing and developing, before it hardens into a permanent shape, and the time of universal empires and gigantic world cities comes.

>>Talianki, Drobrovody, Maydanets
>????????
looked it up, apparently it's prehistoric from 6000 to 3500 BC
have a hard time believing any cities there were larger than those in Egypt and Mesopotamia though

Sounds like one of those Slav memes, like Bosnian pyramids.

During the Middle Trypillia phase (ca. 4000 to 3500 BC), populations belonging to the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture built the largest settlements in Neolithic Europe, some of which contained as many as 3,000 structures and with the possibility of 20,000 to 46,000 inhabitants.

Hard to say if they had biggest cities etc...
But unlike bosnian pyramids they exsisted.

Also i doubt average Ukrainian know something about that.

How the fuck did that happen in Ukraine, that far away from the Fertile Crescent?

It was fought over for centuries, and managed to survive. It took having conquerors who really didn't give a shit (the Mongols) to eventually beat the place back.

I bet on drunk sailors and cheap whores around dneper

civilization first appeared there but it quickly spread to Europe and ukraine has some of the richest and most fertile agricultural regions of Europe

If NYC kept Long Island as part of Queens then the number would be even higher

I do not think there are reliable estimates for city sizes for some of them like Alexandria. Still a nice map though.

It was larger then Samarkand and one of the critical trade cities straddling both the East and West routes of the Silk Road.

nothing in africa? this is totally westernized, there's been so many great societies and cities all throughout africa. for much of history africa was thriving while europeans were not even civilized

>this stale tired meme again.

why would it be manhattan? The five boroughs make up the city.

Fez? That kinda surprises me as a Moroccan.
When was it the biggest?

Is there an objective and universally applicable measure as to what belongs to a city?

Why? the land is fertile as fuck and steppe nomads did not exist.

>the largest
all of them on the map were THE largest at some point

edo was the largest in the 1700's, and hangzhou was the largest immediately preceding that.

a lot of the cities on that map are memes though

europe has always been more decentralized than the rest of the world, and less stable. honestly I'm a little surprised it even made the list. years on the map would make it a better infograph

There are like 15 in africa

8, close enough

only because carthage was destroyed and rebuilt 8 times

Egypt is part of africa, as is morocco

right, obvious oversight

egypt
carthage
carthage
carthage
carthage
carthage
carthage

Around 1170

Fez
Carthage
Alexandria
Cairo
Memphis
Abydos
Avaris & Pi-Ramses
Thebes

>thebes african
WE
U
Z

If you don't have an idea of when most of these were at their height, read and book/do some research.
80% of these are "standard knowledge" in humanities.

Its in egypt, egypt is in africa

I like how half of the topics are asking basic bitch questions such as "is evolution real" or "is it important to understand math to be smart when I can just read more history?" and you guys are accomodating, but some user that doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of prehistory is ridiculed

WE
U
KANGZ
N
Shiiiiiiiiiiiet

>I dont know either, but here is a condescending remark, so that I can feel smart

It had a boom period shortly before the Mongols rolled in, but that it was ever the largest city is a guess.

Most of these are guesses to some degree or another

Like everything else in this thread.

>t new king

>i disagree with facts, look how smart i am :D

Veeky Forums - politically incorrect views on past events

there is a Thebes in Greece and also a Thebes in Egypt. Although I know realize that the Egyptian one might have been (re?)named that after Alexander? Or maybe not, just a thought.

Thebes in Egypt is older than the Greek city, been settled for over 5000 years iirc . If anything I think the Greek city is named after the Egyptian Thebes

always astounds me how deep greater-greece's area of affective control was with the depth into afrika of thebes and penetrating all the way into the gates of asia with the bactricians

It always astounds me how WE WUZ fags can look at a port city colony with 5000 people living there and assume that all of the land for hundreds of miles around it belonged to the greeks trading there.

easy one when you're the only one with the conception of property rights

So the greeks ruled that land that they never saw, didn't map nor knew exists, and those people they never met, nor had contact with, nor again knew existed?

We wuz as fuck.

if you say so

take one look at how chinas economic prosperity of the rise of communism stopping it being carved and conquered with a continuation of european powers if the war had not ended when it did, with the rise of communism in the country. now look at it. australias second most spoken language after english is mandarin. thank fuck we're white. 5I

What does any of this have to do with the post you are replying to?

if i wasnt a part of the five eyes id be the barbarian to chinas greece

No

Those cities didnt exist in Egyp
Before trying to disprove something at least do some research, retard

Good land for agriculture

No, you are stating unrelated things and acting as if you are making a point.
Either explain yourself or stop responding.

im stating that if the nukes werent dropped on china it would have been divided and conquered by european powers but instead china is a national force and if it wasnt for the english hegemony they would be the greeks and i would be the rest of the unchartered shit owned by them

yes

city v city yes is what he means
empire no

>1 of millions sitting on anonymous message board in 2016
>believes the mainstream story of reality
>stay in ur cell twerp

how autistic are you retard?
>oh no hes expanding the topic of conversation therefor ive got no fucking idea whats going on

I think it was pretty foolish to cast hrithik roshan as a dravidian in mohenjo daro.

>bollywood
literal cancer.

gives indian cinema a bad name.

There were no nukes dropped on China. You are mentally ill.

There are literally more African cities on that map than European

post cixi it was manchuria you autistic retard until western powers greenlighted the creation of the chinese independant state, the nukes of japan/manchuria which was both at the time was very important to this

no YOU are mentally ill you retarded schizophrenic mind controlled faggot shill!

but indian are all green eyed brown haired greek gods yar. lets dance!

None of the nukes were in Manchuria. Take your pills and chill.

really makes me think

>until western powers greenlighted the creation of the chinese independant state
Negro what?

The whole of China wasn't occupied by any western/colonial power and is De Jure under the ROC during the time. what Independent Chinese State are you talking about?

cause what the fuck were the sino-russian wars

autsitic schizophrenics with psychosis criminally insane in egocentrism talking at themselves. pure insanity. keep chanting and rocking to urself infront of a mirror u fucking loser

roshan is a manlet IIRC.

There were no nukes used by the Russians against the Chinese, user. Consult your doctor, you sound very unstable.

When was New York the largest city in the world?

Never.

The original Thebes was Egyptian and existed way before the Greeks were even buildijg mudhuts you fucking idiot.

Educate yourself before posting.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thebes,_Egypt

It was one of the wealthiest cities in the Old Kingdom and even became the capital during the New Kingdom. It was also the center of the cult of Amun.

Just because you never heard of it doesn't make it any less relevant. In fact the Egyptian Thebes is historically more significant than the Greek one.

whats the matter retard ur full blown mind controlled autsitic shill state get triggered?

you cunts are full retarded

mudhuts? they had pyramids thousands of years for egypt

schizo hive whats the matter retards pathetic autistic losers go stalk my exs some more

>its a retard gets proven wrong, so he acts as if he was trolling all along episode

From 1925 to 1962 apparantly

Made this just now based on Wikipedia. It does seem that New York overtook most major cities around the 70's?

Are there other candidates?

Tokyo has been the biggest since the 60's. It has like 25 million people

ur literally mentally retarded poor autistic retard

I'm fairly sure this is about the metropolis, not the metropolitan area. Tokyo is only 13 million.

But yeah, Tokyo still seems to beat New York when New York beat the others

So New York never was the largest city in the world?