So I heard that back in the day, they would make fast cars out of aircraft drop tanks...

So I heard that back in the day, they would make fast cars out of aircraft drop tanks. Would anyone here be willing to explain specifics of their construction and engineering, and if one could be made today with common parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

barnfinds.com/british-belly-tank-racer/
antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard/showthread.php?19237-belly-tank-Indian
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jowett_Jupiter
youtube.com/watch?v=Nuc-CntAydI#t=4m17s
jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wooden-car-frames.793905/
theoldmotor.com/?p=136808
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not much to it. They used the tanks because of their shape and structural rigidity.

Just put all the parts in.

They would at the very least be fun to paint.

>not posting the firebird 1,2,and 3

>So I heard that back in the day, they would make fast cars out of aircraft drop tanks.
This is true

>Would anyone here be willing to explain specifics of their construction and engineering
They are very basic. You can still buy old plans for things like that and vintage sprint cars/formula cars.

>if one could be made today with common parts?
Yes, easily, some vintage hot rod parts like quick change rear ends and period correct engine go fast parts are pricey but if you weren't trying to use period parts it would be trivially easy to make one

If you have to ask on fucking Veeky Forums of all places, it's beyond your comprehension. Buy a Factory Five kit car. All you have to do is put your own motor, transmission, wiring in and it's good to go almost.

Mate how did I do.

Looks good, I used to have the same one in reversible 1/2"

It's just single direction 3/8, 20-100lb-ft and I got it for 100

>n-notice me s-sempai

I'm pretty happy. Second snap on item I've owned other than a screw driver

Cool, thanks for the info. I have a rusty ass Hyundai Elantra that I might want to harvest the parts off of once it dies. If you took such a dinky I4 and used it in a little drop tank car, would it be fast?

With your level of ability it would be a massive pain in the ass to get a modern fuel injected engine in a homemade car, it's not like legos. Would be much easier to do an aircooled VW engine or a motorcycle engine. Anything with more than 50hp will feel fast in a setup like that regardless of how fast it actually is, because it's an open cockpit, low to the ground, questionably built chassis.

Okay, thanks for the dosage of realism.

So, hear me out, what if I could mount a lawnmower engine to a decently well put together chassis made from 2X4 studs? My main concern is that the engine wouldn't have enough torque to push it more than it would push a lawnmower. I understand wood fairly well as a material and wouldn't push it further than it could handle.

I ask this because the only way I ever seem to be able to learn something is through designing and building it myself. And the info I can find on car modification tends to be marketed at people who know lots more terminology than I do.

inline 4 have been used in the before
barnfinds.com/british-belly-tank-racer/
antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard/showthread.php?19237-belly-tank-Indian
its just that a v8 can fit in the same length so why not

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jowett_Jupiter
most modern wooden car I know of
it seems to handle 60 bhp just fine

Thanks, it's unfamilliar to not be shit on here.

>why not
Because money. Unfortunately, I make $13.50/hr doing artisan quality work for a rich ass who drives a black Suburban.

sounds like you want to build a cycle car
they can be super crude
youtube.com/watch?v=Nuc-CntAydI#t=4m17s

just sell it whole and get a hayabusa engine

It'd be cool, but for $1200 KBB value I'm better off driving it into the dirt. 260K miles and no major issues is decent when I don't have another DD.

I was considering selling and getting an okay Volvo wagon, but that invites much higher premiums on repairs I can't do myself.

I remember reading about a badass I4 that Oldsmobile made in the 90s but never put into production.

jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wooden-car-frames.793905/

theoldmotor.com/?p=136808

hngggg

I'm interested in this. Did they use the tank as an structural part, or did they reinforce it?

I would assume it was at least partially structural, it's meant to hold fuel and stand up to pressure changes and air resistance. So I'd assume it's at least strong enough.