BMW gets talked about all the time here, but what does Veeky Forums think of Mercedes-Benz?

BMW gets talked about all the time here, but what does Veeky Forums think of Mercedes-Benz?

i only like their crazy v8 powereed amg cars. I'd take a C63 over an m3 any day.

all the other pretentious AMG shitboxes like the CLA and A series are shit.

Nothing, because they are not the best.

R E V

What do you drive, and is it quicker than an A45 or CLA45?

Gray, overpriced boats which look like any fiesta or camry from far away

Too bad the CLA shooting brake is not rwd

The newer ones are 100% meh, but I unironically think pic related is one of my favorite options on a new car right now.

I love my 190E. 70's-80's Benzos are where it's at, seems like general build quality severely dropped off in the early 90's and hasn't recovered.

no one here can afford either a BMW or a Mercedes, but it's even less likely for the Mercedes.

no, i daily an old boxster s

i get what you are implying, but you misunderstood.

i called them shit not because they are slow, but because they are not a good representation of brutal raw power like the bigger, better AMG mercedes. which is what i like.

>and my car is more fun to drive than the A45/CLA45 anyway.

it's just that basically the first cars of all the new platforms since the 90's were complete poop. first A class, B class, M class. all absolutely horrible cars. Now their cars are all pretty durable, it's usually just one or two things that were fucked up. Like the brake lines on the C class that rust like bare iron in the rain.

MB is usually adult owned and driven.
they are truely the best on the road.
Shitpost all you want, you'll change your opinion quickly if you ever own one.

owned one and driven hundreds of then, the non AMGs are way too boaty for my taste. Prefer BMW.
Also G wagen is overrated.
Their big SUVs (GL) are great though.

>high boats are great but the actual off roader is overrated

>actual offroader
As if anyone takes their $100-200k SUVs off roading
It's surviving purely off its image

Only correct post.

that's like saying the S coupe is great and the AMG GT overrated because no one is racing it anyway.

>have 2010 a class
>automatic gear fails
>take it to a garage to repair
>costs 5200 dollars to repair as mercedes has a monopoly on the part so they can put the pricing as high as they want

pretty fucking good cars tebehe not mad at all

> Made Nazi trucks with concentration camp forced labor
> Makes the truck with the longest production history (g wagen)
> Spells supercharger with a "k"

Pretty based tbqh

New ones with all the driving assistance options are wonderfully comfy for long highway trips. You still have to pay attention, but not actually do a lot, so it's less tiring. It's practically an autopilot you can turn on or off at will, and doesn't interfere with driver inputs.

Also: CLA a shit, S-class coupe a best

Diesel S class is GOAT

Projecting poor fags.

Looking into buying an cla 45 amg

Prices are human. Good balance between fuel economy and performance. Sounds also nice as far as 4 cyl go

Love to own an 8 cyl amg but they are overpriced and im not a fan of paying for gas everytime i use the car. I need to dd

every german brand made vehicles for the nazis
>Makes the truck with the longest production history (g wagen)
that's chebby suburban

CLAs are fucking trash with panel gaps and plastic interiors

I've seen plenty driven by sand nigger teens

Greedy
Impose laws
Because greedy
Daimler chrysler
Jewy as ferrari
Fuck MB

Theyre the reason burgers cant get god machines so I love them

the front half of the c-class is absolutely sexy

CLA a SHIT. Get a pre owned C43.

Good luck with that

You can get a certified pre owned 2017 C43 for ~$50k

just picked up a cl. great car amazing quality

v8 5,0

>pre 1997

the best, built to the highest standards

>post 1997

shit

Very comfortable cruisers especially with Airmatic. Pretty meh as a driver's car. AMG models save for GT are all pure autism. Outdated tail design and opulently baroque interior aren't great and look stuffy in otherwise stunning vehicles in my opinion. Overall the brand moves in the right direction, but still struggles a bit with the 'grandpa's luxury' image, granted that very image brings them enormous profits in developing countries.

Every car manufacturer calls it Kompressor in germany.

Because its german.

>pre 1992
>post 1992
FTFY. You included the cars with biodegradable wiring in the "best" section.

>'grandpa's luxury' image
Rich people are the ones buying luxury cars, and rich people are usually old
There is however a Mercedes for young people, it fucking sucks:

>stupid man is struggling with the world
cool story

A replacement transmission is like $1300, what the fuck are you doing?

Have you prepared you anus for hydraulic suspension repairs

Everyone and their mum can afford a luxury brand nowadays. Mercedes is still seen as the least 'cool' and very bourgeois here in Germany.

Id love to. But theyre 20k more than the cla 45.
If modern american v8 wouldnt sound so bad stock, i would have gotten a charger/challenger/mustang.
Especially because they are rare sights here (modern, 2015 americans look damn good)
Saddly i dont see any appeal if they sound so horrible muted stock.

I like them. Personally prefer Mercs over Beemers and Audis.

Toronto here. I see mercs, beemers, and audis way too frequently but don't know anyone who owns one. Who are all these people who can drop a hundred grand on German engineering?

>Beemers
it's bimmers you fucking retards
>Who are all these people who can drop a hundred grand on German engineering?
they can't they lease them

Just sold my 700hp E55 AMG to another br/o/
Awesome cars, just looking for something different right now

Active Body control is a stupid easy system. For starters get some good fluid in it and clean out the check valve.

What happens if you lease German engineering and wreck it? Wouldn't you be fuxked?

Are you ret?

>what is insurance

>it's bimmers you fucking retards

it doesn't matter how it's spelled you stupid autist. No matter how you spell it, it's going to be pronounced the same way regardless.

After smashing up your first German luxury vehicle you didn't even own your rates would get increased so much that you would never be able to afford to drive anything besides a corolla.

I must make amends

>i'm an autist because I know how to spell
lolk
>BMW
>luxury
kek

If BMW isn't luxury, why is it so damn expensive? Come to think of it, German cars in general are overpriced as fuck. You can buy the nicest Japanese or American sports cars or luxury land yachts after just a couple of years of saving up, yet for the price of German luxury you could buy a house. Is the German engineering meme true? Are German cars really that much better?

>If BMW isn't luxury, why is it so damn expensive?
because you're in the US
the E30 was a literal econobox

GERMAN LUXURY

my point is it can be spelled either way, it would still have the same pronunciation, dumbfuck. There is no right or wrong way in spelling it since it's just a nickname given to the company

Driving a merc gets your more looks than a miata with a blonde bombshell in the passenger seat

>this is what merc owners believe
top lel

>Stopped at a light
Person behind looks nervous and isn't getting too close to the car

>Getting gas
People looking at the car outside

>Parked at grocery store
Walk by someone, wow nice car..

>Person behind looks nervous and isn't getting too close to the car
makes sense, nobody wants to be a witness

Yes...yes, they are. This is an attempt at a serious answer from a long-time owner/enthusiast.

As for experience, I've owned 5 Mercedes-Benz cars, including my current 35 year old daily driver. Taken care of all of them for basic maintenance, and done a lot of repairs myself - about to rebuild diesel injectors for one of them, in fact.

In the US, Mercedes-Benz has always been about cutting edge tech and bells and whistles, especially re safety. It's their thing. If it's your thing too, then you're going to pay for it, and it might break one day. That's the way it goes. It's no cheaper when an Asian luxury car breaks out of warranty - I have a Lexus in the garage right now (my wife's...) with struts that are TWICE the price of any for any Mercedes-Benz I've ever owned.

When you buy the Asian cars that are meant to compete with Mercedes-Benz (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Genesis, etc) you're buying a decent car, but not the best. Drive an S-Class for a day and you'll see. That said, the best car is the one that makes you happy.

As for comparing Mercedes-Benz to generic shitboxes from Toyota, Honda, etc - they're not competitors, so it's a waste of time. There are some lower-end Mercedes-Benz cars in the US (A and B classes...) sure, but you do still get the general quality and the great dealer support and general ownership experience.

I've owned and driven dozens of cars from pretty much every manufacturer - none have ever been better than my Mercedes-Benz cars.

>hand at 12
Fucking edgelord

Not likely...and if this is why you buy a car, in general, good luck in life.

What is that, like a late model CLK? No one ever looks enviously at a CLK. Nice enough car, but if you get looks and comments on that one, you must live out in BFE somewhere..

You must be a phillipino. Only a phillipino would say something this stupid about a mercedes.

E srs

They're basically the softest, most comfortable ride in C300 and higher end models. For the their demographic and price MB is the smoothest, comfiest manufacture.

Working on them is a double edged sword. The designs are logical, methodical and sometimes over-engineered. Keep a cool head, have a Torx bit set and/or screwdrivers and trim panel removal tools.

All that said if they are not maintained they shit the bed and when they do its catastrophic. Even little things like the factory lift pads falling off or rusting out.

Makes sense - CLK = E-Class cabriolet before the E-Class cabriolet existed again. That's an 07-09 interior...

Just got rid of a 2010 E350.... nice car.

I want to buy some German engineering but I can't find any Mercedes or Audis at a reasonable price anywhere. Even used, you can't find anything for less than 10k, and I'm looking at cars that are ~10 years old. Newer preowned German cars cost so much you may as well buy a brand new civic. Call me unreasonable, but for a car that is 10 years old I won't pay more than 10k.

post 80s its shit

Okay ahmad you can put the glowing star on your 07 e350 if you wish

Love my C230 Sport.

Factory AMG exhaust and bodykit, nice staggered rims. Well buttoned down car.

Sub 10k.....good luck...but you might have options.

Do not, I repeat, do not buy an Audi out of warranty. I'm convinced that VW engineers actually hate cars...

For a Mercedes-Benz less than 10k, you might be able to find a higher miles SLK280 from 07. Nice cars, but get one that's had the intake and cam plugs and centrifuge cover replaced already. You can also probably find a higher-miles E-Class.

If you go with a 10 year old M-B, have a yearly budget of 3-6k for maintenance and repairs, and absolutely maintain the car, by the book.

I've had several older M-B cars, and they're great, but buy the best one you can afford and then be ready to spend money to maintain it.

This is the best looking C-Class, post W124....until the current one.

>You have to drive a similar or better car than the one you are talking shit about
>If you drive anything less you have to automatically respect any "better" cars and not give any criticism

KYS

/osg/ stickers plastered all over a car is more attractive than that junkies shitbox

My wife still likes her W204 after 5 years. They are nice cars. I'm more of a sports car guy, but I can't complain about it either. It's very comfortable to drive an entry level Mercedes. You're not really looking for a sporting experience; you drive a little slower and calmer in general. I'm secretly waiting for her to upgrade so I can use this car as my daily.

Odd question, but does anyone here know of some good looking wheels I can put on my white W124? thinking something alloy and 5 spoke

i only like amgs and some of the classics.

I like the look of some of their cars

I have been somewhat tempted by the a250, I like the design

Some of the creature comforts are really nice, the parking sensors and cameras are totally excellent

They're just boring cars to drive for the most part, they can get a bit more fun if they have a sport mode and you exclusively use the paddle shifters but I'd take my ancient mazda 323 over most of their options. I mean I could get a top of the line wrx sti for the same price as a a250 and have way more fun than I ever would in one of their cars

That's one disgusting ass user

living in a country where everyone is a millionaire acording to the politicians is rather great (norway)

don't you all have electric cars?

no

there's essentially no infastructure whatsoever to support electric cars

not to say there arent quite a few electric cars here

but the expectation the gubmint has that everyone will be driving electric cars by 2020 is highly fucking unrealistic and is a future i really hope never happens unless electric cars actually gits gud and dont just remain the comparison of 1L cuckboxes or luxobarges