Stick shift

I have like 2-3 days to learn to drive manual transmission for a job.
I've only ever tried twice. I couldnt do an uphill start and never bothered to go into traffic.
Going to try a driving school that offers 2 hours of driving practice and my coworkers might be able to help.

I need to learn how to drive a package car. Supposedly they are easier than regular cars and can even start in second gear or so I hear.

any advice or input from guys on here?

Google or youtube it, you fucking faggot.

watch initial D to gather a good sense of how to use a manuel

I cant find anything about package cars though.
Why do people say its easier and harder to stall? Is it going to make a big difference?

also my 3rd option of learning is renting a car.
I might do that if I dont hear back from the driving school or get help from coworkers tomorrow.

Stop fixating on the fact that it's a package car. Whatever minor difference there is, driving it will be fundamentally the same as any other manual car. Now stfu and go watch some youtube videos. Every second you ask dumb questions to aggressive bus riding autists is a waste.

It's probably a diesel, who usually are a lot more forgiving when it comes to clutch control. So i wouldn't break out in a sweat if i where you. Driving a manual isn't that hard given that even my grandmother (including most other European grandmothers) casually drive a stick.

It'll probably be fiddly for the first couple of hours, after that it's pretty much a breeze. You get used to it really quick and before you know it you'll be doing it without even thinking about it.

I'll probably rent a car since I understand how its done, just need practice.
I need to go from residential to highway and finally back up to finish.

Does the car make a big difference though? cause when I tried to learn on my brothers car it has a lot of horsepower and seemed to stall very easily

When you first get into the car just focus on the clutch pedal alone. Don't use the gas what so ever. Just try and get the car to move and start without stalling only using the clutch pedal. once you get the clutch pedal working and the car rolling just add gas if you're on a hill do the same thing with about a 15% throttle and it won't stall. it takes time.

Yeah of course the car makes a difference. But a high horsepower engine requires a beefy heavy clutch which means it'll stall relatively easy. Especially when compared with a delivery van.

Renting a rental and getting some practice in surely would be beneficial. Hardest part of driving a stick is driving from a stand still. It's just the feel of the car you have to get used to.

Best way to quickly develope some feeling is to just rev the engine 500 / 1k rpms above idle and slowly depressing the clutch. You'll know it'll start grabbing the flywheel once the rpm's drop and the engine starts to lug a bit.

At that point, just revving the engine higher will only make your clutch slip, and just depressing the clutch will probably stall the engine. So you'll need to do both simultaneously. Give it the bit more gas and depress the clutch entirely. From there on you should be starting the move, so you can completely let go of the clutch and just work the accelerator.

Step 1 learning the clutch bite point
>limp it to a parking lot
>put it in first
>practice starting by only releasing the clutch, no gas
>practice until you can do it 5x in a row without stalling
Congrats, you've learned the bite point. It won't be the same for every car, but you now understand the principle.
Step 2 actually getting going
>do what you did before, but add gas so you don't have to slip the clutch so much
Bam, done, easy.
Step 3: Upshifting
>push in clutch, let off gas
>upshift
>release clutch
Easy
Step 4: Downshifting
>put in clutch
>blip gas to raise revs
>release clutch
Each car is different, but when in doubt go a little higher and just ease out of the clutch more. You shouldn't be excessively using the clutch to spin the engine up to the lower gear's RPM but a little slippage for smoothness is fine.
Step 5 hill starts
>find deserted hill, you don't want to annoy anyone
>in first
>left foot on clutch
>right foot on brake
>slide right foot halfway to gas, you should be able to push either pedal by rolling your ankle
>as you release clutch, apply gas and let off brake
>slide right foot all the way onto gas
Practice this until you're comfortable
Step 6 parking
>handbrake is not required unless on steep inclines, don't want it to sieze
>always park in first
>always remember to wiggle stick and have clutch in before turning key to start vehicle

Don't mean to hijack OPs thread but just a quick question, does it just take time and practice to develop the muscle memory to upshift smoothly? When I upshift from 1, 2, and sometimes 3, the car will jump a little bit. How do I get a smoother upshift? I've been driving manual as a DD for about 2 1/2 weeks now, am I behind?

You are not rev matching. Likely you are revving the engine too low and letting the clutch out slightly too fast, so the car is "jumping", or lurching forward a bit because you are really engine braking the car. If the revs always jump up as you clutch out, then that is what you are doing. Solution: Rev higher, clutch out slower.

You're either taking too long or not long enough, or you're just letting the clutch out too quickly.

You fucked up at the first step. Many petrol cars do not have enough torque to not stall if you don't give it any gas.

When I was learning I let go of the clutch completely before giving it gas.

In up shifting are you still supposed to ease off the clutch? What is double clutching? is it a smooth release as well?

BTW no more questions after that. I have a road test this Friday and will try to get a lesson in tomorrow or Wednesday and rent a car for at least 1 day. If I cant do it its better I call off the test than take it cause if I fail I wont be able to do it again for a whole year.

Okay so should I rev to 4k RPM from 1st gear before shifting to 2nd then? I was doing that for a while but I am almost confident I lost a bit of gas doing that.

I usually shift out of 1st from 2k-2.5k RPM and let the clutch out very slowly, but still not as smooth as I would like.

>If the revs always jump up as you clutch out, then that is what you are doing. Solution: Rev higher, clutch out slower.

I honestly don't know what engine braking is. Do you know of any YouTube tutorials that cover this and basically upshifting and downshifting smoothly?

Thanks both anons.

Unless you're in literally a kei car this works to teach learners the bite point. You don't actually do it in normal driving. You can start moving second with gas, you can start moving in first with no gas.

>
OK I lied 1 more question
How soon can I start giving gas? Never before the bite point?

You should be giving it some gas because you'll spend less time slipping the clutch
>upshifting, ease off the clutch
Kinda half-ease it. Fast enough to not slip much, slow enough to not be jerky.
>double clutching
Honestly nothing to worry about unless you have an older transmission with a worn synchromesh. To double clutch is to let the clutch out in neutral, let the revs drop or blip the gas (up or downshift respectively), then clutch in again and into gear. I find it makes my downshifts smoother and it's the only way to shift into first while moving when, say, entering a parking lot (sub 10 mph speeds).
Rev high enough that you aren't in danger of stalling. 2-2.5k should be ok assuming it isn't like a 1.6L N/A.
Read the whole post. The only-clutch thing is literally just to teach you your clutch's bite point. You never start like that when actually driving, you start feeding it gas when you've hit bite point or so. It's not an exact science, just over time you'll learn what works best for your vehicle.

>4k before shifting to 2nd

Depends on your redline. If you drive a modern car with 6k+ redline, 4k is about right for semi-spirited driving in town.

>2k-2.5k

Way too low. Try 3k, hold that speed and note it, slowly shift to 2nd, correct your speed to match the previous, note your new RPM. Learn that ratio, and always lean on revving slightly higher than you think, and letting your clutch out smoother than you think you are, and you will be golden. As you learn to handle the car better, you wont have to be so slow and ginger with it

Shit I forgot engine braking. Engine braking is using the higher drivetrain drag of a lower gear to slow the car down without hitting the brakes. Useful in dense traffic to not trigger a brake light chain behind you. If you're cruising along in fifth and want to drop 5-10 mph, you'd shift to 4th and just let the car slow down, then shift back to 5th. It's personal preference whether you do it or not.

Rev to 1.5k rpm with the clutch fully depressed and hold the gas at 1.5k rpm. Bring the clutch out to the bite point while your foot is steady still at 1.5k rpm and hold the foot at the bite point and you will start smoothly sailing off. After 5 seconds of sailing, slowly release your foot off the clutch. Boom. Easiest way to do a start.

Let me explain it a bit more plainly.

When you let off the gas, the engine wants to rev down to idle speeds. So it starts slowing down, which causes your wheels to slow down as well. This means you can brake without hitting the brakes, and you use less fuel to boot.

>user but how

See traffic up ahead at a stop.
Clutch in, downshift,
Press the gas to rev match, clutch out.
Off the gas. Your car is now slowly decelerating.

Don't do this in stop and go traffic, just use your brakes.

Do them at the same time. Literally think about what the car is doing. The clutch connects the motor to the rest of the car.

The car won't move without gas
The car won't move if the clutch isn't released.

Think of it like the two sides of a see-saw. As you foot is coming off the clutch your other foot should be going on the gas.

They happen at the same time.

Thanks anons. I'm gonna keep this thread open and re-read these tips before I go out driving again. Much thanks again, will put your advice to theory. Not OP btw

I actually find the opposite true, in dense-but-moving traffic using 2nd to brake and 3rd to cruise (35mph or so, heavy traffic but moving basically) and people behind you will be able to avoid stop-and-go.

No, not really. I had a Toyota Carina E that couldn't do it. It had 100hp.

> and people behind you will be able to avoid stop-and-go.

This only happens if you act as a buffer, stay back, and drive the average speed. Regular braking or engine braking has nothing to do with that.

I engine brake in traffic myself, I'm just suggesting that not do it at first, because it's another complication in an already stressful driving situation for him. To do it safely, you have to do everything you normally do AND constantly watch your back to make sure that some dickhead that doesn't see you engine braking (no brake lights) doesn't ram into your back.

Oh I gotcha. Yeah, I'm that guy who's a buffer. I hope some people appreciate it.

My 1.2 Fiesta will roll without my right foot doing anything if I'm gentle enough.

You're doing the lord's work.

When in doubt, rev up to 3000rpm and let go of the clutch...

I learned in an old merc with a decently powerful / torque-y engine, and it would never move off without gas.... I'd end up giving it way too much gas then. But wheelspin is fun so that's okay.
Then I moved on to a pos 1.4 nissan, and that thing will slide away in third with no gas. I think it's maybe more to do with the actual mass of the car than torque?

It's to do with the gearing as well, I'd imagine the merc was geared quite high. A 1.4 Nissan will be geared lower.

Get off Veeky Forums and go practice you dumb fuck.

desu this. just release the clutch slowly (or quickly if youre on a hill or whatever)

>Supposedly they are easier than regular cars and can even start in second gear or so I hear

Thats diesel. Or rather the big torque that comes with diesels.
More torque = easier to start.
A friend can also easily start in third on his s4 b5

Op im about to give you advice that will always 100% work, but you most definitly should only do it to learn the feel of the car.
>push clutch in and floor it
>drop the clutch
>pray no cars are infront of you
itll spin the wheels and jerk you forward. then when you do it again only rev it halfway then drop the clutch. keep doing it untill letting go of the clutch doesnt jerk you forward and boom you got it