Daytime running lights

Why do cars have these except for style?

Other urls found in this thread:

ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850978/
crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"""""To make them more visible"""""

Visiblility.
ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850978/
crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029

if you live anywhere with low winter sun they are pretty useful

>Be Audi
>Add DRL's as a stylistic brand hallmark
>Some jerkoff politician likes it so much he makes it mandatory
>Even the cheapest shitboxes have white LED lines all over the bumper now

Why are those cars on the wrong sides of the road?

The low sun is blinding them and they can't see the road :(

They've been required in Sweden since 1977 you dingbat

>Sweden
YES!

because many countries require you to run daytime lights.
Either keep half beams/foglights on or have day lights.

Normies are retards and they don't turn their actual lights on in snow/rain/fog/dusk etc. Helps everyone see the car.

Canada.

I dunno what you're """""""""ing for, I nearly had a head-on collision today because some twat in an unwashed dark grey Corolla didn't think it necessary to turn their lights on on a forest road in the rain.

Before day time running lights were mandatory. Chaos ruled the streets. Every day, 6 million Jews were slaughtered by dangerous assault vehicles. Those anti Semite Republicans fought tooth and nail to resist and deny this shoa. But Justice prevails. Now goyim, your babies are safe from evil vehicles.

New vehicles are supposed to have them by law, in Germany at least.
I wonder how we lived without them last 100 years. Fucking people are getting dumber by the day, can't even drive cars anymore without being killed or kill others

Bingo

We lived without electricity for a few thousand years. Doesn't mean it's not a good thing to have.

That's what headlights are for, mongoloid. OP is referring to lights on during the day, when it isn't raining or dark

Aye just wait for more driver assists that end up causing more accidents in the long turn.
Forcing unnecessary things by law is idiotic

Because cars become alot easier to see, especially when the weather is shit, there is a bit of fog and when its starting to get dark

And inbefore someone starts sputtering "BUT MUH AESTETHICS" or "B-B-BUT PEOPLE JUST HAVE TO TURN THEIR LIGHTS OFF".
First of all; fuck your aestethic
Second of all; fuck you for thinking that everybody ever does that, or even a majority

To make cars more visible in low lighting conditions when idiot drivers don't think to turn the lights on. Great idea in theroy, but for some unbeknown fucking reason only the front ones are DRLs, not the back, so drivers think "oh its fine my lights are on" in low lighting conditions and don't turn their lights on leaving the rears off.

Good idea, terrible execution. Like most government regulation.

Why is it that every model of every car has one, except for the bass model?

>oh shit it's getting dark and I can't see traffic
>don't turn headlights on and wait for the market to come up with a solution for my idiotism
Nigger there are laws against that

>required in Sweden since 1977

aaaaand it's Sweden again

Lights on during the day = lights always on = no more invisible twats in Corollas that forget to turn their lights on, mongoloid.

The point is that idiots forget or don't want to turn their lights on when it rains, which is being mitigated by having lights that are always on.

Yes in a perfect world we wouldn't need daytime running lights but unfortunately not everyone is an infallible human being such as yourself.

Certainly hasn't stopped people around here from driving in the dark with their lights off

>I can't see traffic
That's the key problem really. People only turn their lights on when they can't SEE, but they should be turning them on as soon as they can't BE SEEN by others.

>don't turn headlights on and wait for the market to come up with a solution for my idiotism
No, I was waiting for the market to come up with a solution for EVERYONE ELSE's idiocy, and it has.

I could see your point if the police went around fining people for having old cars with no daytime running lights, but they don't.

New cars have to have them, you're still okay if yours doesn't. Gradually every car will have them and traffic will be a better place for it.

Feel free to show me some examples of daytime running lights causing accidents though, this should be good.

because no one cares about poor people

Pretty much what and are saying. Dumb fucks only turn them on whey they start struggling to see, which is usually way beyond the point where seeing an oncoming car in the dark is easily done, especially if the car is a greyish color

Its against the law to fuck your sister aswell, but that hasn't stopped you now has it?

You don't say it any time Sweden is mentioned

many such cases

This

Why don't cars auto lights on ALL the time?

Especially as we move to LED headlights, with much longer lifespan than halogen/HID, and low power consumption, just have all cars have their headlights on all the time.

I already do it in fucking Sunny Californicate because I'm an autism fag who wants to show off my ultraviolet blue HIDs everywhere I go.

Cars just look better with headlights on, kinda like women look better in sexy lingerie vs frumpy clothes.

Why doesn't everyone want their lights on all the time? Looks cooler, more visible, less chance of being hit, etc. etc.

Headlights always on has only con, headlights will not last as long. But as you pointed out with LEDs life is not really an issue. Always lights on reduces the risk of crashes especially with pedestrians on dark/shady roads in the day. They also midigate the fucktard factor for those that are too retarded to turn thier lights on in rain/snow or in the early morning when everyone still has condensation on thier windows and cant see shit unless they have thier lights on.

Sorta like formation lights in planes.

Basically differentiates cars that are on and moving from those that are stationary.

>Why doesn't everyone want their lights on all the time? Looks cooler,
not when you have pop ups like me. Everyone just assumes they are broken

So I live in Portland. People here are the worst drivers of any state I've ever lived in. And I've lived in several for quite a while each time. 75% of people don't use turn signals, try to vigilante the passing lane by blocking it, running lights that have been red for 3+ seconds, and a billion other things.

But the absolute most dangerous shit they do is that a good 20-30% of drivers here do not turn on their lights until it would literally be impossible for an owl to see the car without them. Like it'll be half an hour after sunset, people still drive around in dark cars with absolutely no lights on. Same with downpours on the freeway when there's a ton of mist. Can't see the car 20 feet behind you because they don't have their headlights on. And a lot of them go out of the way to disable their FUCKING LED DRLs. AS IF THEY'RE GOING TO BURN OUT.

PSA: $20 for a pair of headlight bulbs every 2-5 years is a little bit cheaper than your insurance deductible for car repairs, and the ticket you'll get after the accident for unsafe operation.

You're fucking retarded.
It can be rainy and cloudy during the day, you know?

except that its not automatically on. You could always just turn on your fog lights, fucking retard kys

>what are fog lights
typical yuropoors with single digit iq

Oregon or Maine?

We're talking making your own car visible to other drivers, not making whatever is ahead more visible to you

In Yuroland it's mandatory to have your lights on when driving on certain roads anyway.

Oregon. I'm always surprised people ask. Portland ME is decent sized but just by the sheer population of the Portland OR metro area, I always thought people would just assume OR. But yeah, lots of reres out. Thank fuck my new job starts at 4AM so I don't have to deal with nearly any traffic.

>Daytime running lights
>not automatically on
????

Are you legitimately retarded?

Because your average soccer mom thinks you only need headlights on when it's pitch black outside. As with most things, its an anti stupidity measure, and one i actually appreciate.

You would be surprised how low visibility has to get before people in this state even think about turning lights on.

Because of glare you fucking mong. You don't want to be shining bright as fuck LEDs into people's eyes.

What state?

Meaningless when people don't turn them on.

This is some good ass bait man.

because sweden gets half a second of daylight outside of the summer

Its not even a meme. Its so much easier to see a car moving with DRLs than one without them.

Washington. In winter the sun comes up late, and goes down early. We have about 6 months of shitty visibility, and no joke about 1 out of every 15 cars has no lights on

Who gives a shit just put your light switch on auto and your car turns the lights on or off by itself

You don't have to tell me. I live in Oregon and both WA and OR drivers are cancertards.

Police waste all this time and money trying to catch people going 5mph over the speed limit or whatever, when they could solve like 70% of accidents by making better driver's ed courses.

Hardly style, my 2005 Baja has that shit and there's nothing stylish about it. In general you just want nearly anything to avoid dumbshits from running into you for stupid reasons, so short of having lights and sirens just having your lights on is a pretty simple solution I guess. Though what kind of dumbfuck runs into another car head on is perhaps another question entirely.

Rain != fog
Cloudy != fog

Plus, it's not like people who forget to turn on their mainbeams, remember to turn on their fogs.

Picture this, it's like 3 P.M and it's raining and it's cloudy. No fog whatsoever.
You're trying to merge but there's a grey car without any lights on coming at you from the right (or equivalent) passenger side and you don't seem him. Having DRLs would immediately make him way more visible and an accident would be avoided

I think that's pretty straightforward so you're either baiting or you're full on retarded.

>not always putting your fog ligths on
>implying DRLS are automatically on

Since 1989. Lots of other countries did it first.

They're good if your car was built for them. My bike has charging issues since the stupid Koreans just nigger-rigged the normal headlight to some random point for the Canadian market and the charging system can't handle it.

DRLs are automatically on in countries where they're required. That's the point.

When are lights all around the underside of cars going to be mandatory?

BUT DRL'S ALREADY FUCKING DO THAT

Gubminn mandated underglow

YEHHH BUDDY

Properly designed/correctly aimed lights don't glare ppl's eyes you dumbfuck

High beams glare, low beams do not

Daytime lights are mandatory in some countries, for instance in the Czech Republic.
The Czech also have a hard zero alcohol limit in traffic, but weed is effectively legal and nobody cares if you're stoned as long as you drive well.

In many countries the law is that you have to have your lights on at all times while driving. To sidestep that car manifacturers started adding these lights so you dont have to light up the main lights.

It's not mandatory here but I have the main lights on unless it's a perfect summer's day.
Replacement bulbs are like 2.50 every few months, so who cares.

Why does underglow piss me off?

DRLs emit such a small amount of light, if you get blinded by them I don't know how you can stand staring at this screen right now.

I live in Australia so I never really saw the point but it does make a lot of sense after reading this thread. Still, not about to install aftermarket DRLs on my 4cyl 2009 shitbox.

>implying DRLS are automatically on
uhhh

they are

if you dont like them just pull the fuse for them. thats what i did for my 06 si.