Thinking of getting a 2016 RAV4 or Corolla from Hertz. Am I dumb for considering a former rental...

Thinking of getting a 2016 RAV4 or Corolla from Hertz. Am I dumb for considering a former rental? Last car was a Craigslist car (2005 S60) and it shit the bed on me. I'd rather just get something low mileage.

Rentals see a lot more abuse than most other cars, but they usually get sold off so early that there shouldn't be too much effect yet. Seeing how the car in question is about a year old, it might have wear for two, but if the price is right that may quite well be acceptable.
Still take a decent look at it, especially stuff like broken clips on exterior parts, for example caused by bumping things while parking, may not be visible at first glance.

OP should check out new rav4 price first.
Toyota has good discounts with 0% available.
make sure new vs slightly used price are worth it.
I ened up with AWD SE trim when they first came out, got about 4k discount. I checked used Rav4 in same trim and was not worth few cent of price difference after 0%

>buying a new econobox
just get a civic for 3k and keep fixing it. You should've kept and fixed the s60 faggot.

I drive rental cars all the time and I never beat on them. Most rental car customers are business travelers who simply want an economical car to get around it. Beating on rental cars increases the chance you'll ding it on something, which means you'll be paying the insurance deductible to repair it. Trust me, Hertz, Enterprise and Almo go after customers who damage their cars. Granted, I'm talking about exterior damage. Obviously, engine damage isn't something they check for, but very few people who rent boring cars like Rav4's or Corolla's drive them to beat on them because those aren't fun, or sporty cars to drive to begin with.

I had a 2009 Rav4 V6 and I liked it, but I'd never buy the new model Rav4 because it's a wimpy 4-cylnder. But that's just my opinion. Personally, Toyota's are vastly overpriced for what you get. Don't swallow the kool aid and fool yourself into believing they're more reliable than the competitors because they're not. However, it's your choice. Seems like you've got your mind set on a Toyota.

Yeah, might be a bit different in other countries than it is here.
Here most people are careful not to scratch or dent it, but once they reach an area without speed-limit a fair amount of people really push it. Thanks to modern turbo diesels it isn't much of a problem to go over 200 for long stretches anymore, even loaded.

if you look from HP and performance part of sides, then yes Toyota sucks balls.
But go take look at other SUVs, fit and finish on Toyota is pretty good. For A to B car without any drama, Toyota is not a bad choice.
I am the one with new rav4 SE, sometimes i regret not going with other makers for more power but for the comfy family car, I am happy.
P.S. Rav4 is for my wife

The 4 cylinder Camry I rented would get 24mpg highway. It was brand new and beat to complete shit.

>Don't swallow the kool aid and fool yourself into believing they're more reliable than the competitors because they're not.

Seriously?

So which brand do you think is most reliable?

OP here. They wanted 3300 bucks to fix my motor. And there were other issues, too, and it's a car that's worth 4000 at most

Also worth mentioning they have some Mazda 3s and CX-5s I am going to look at. I dunno how a Mazda compares to a Honda or a Toyota

Thays when you get a second opinion and/or learn to wrench. An engine doesn't just break. You neglected it.

>I drive rental cars all the time and never beat on them

thats gay

Took it to an independent Volvo shop afterwards, they quoted the same thing. I do not have the time, tools or expertise to fix an engine.

>Respecting other people's property
>Gay

Pick one user

Rental cars are for floor it and hectic skids

>They
Who are they and why didn't you tell them to fuck off, and then get a motor from pnp?

>Take current mileage
>Multiply by 5

You'll have the real mileage if it had been owned by someone who took care of it.

Volvo dealer and an independent shop. PCV pressure caused a bunch of seals to burst, there's oil all over the engine compartment

Why would you want a boring crossover. You can get a used Corolla at a dealer certified with a good warranty

What happened? Timing belt snap? 3300 bucks is more than enough for a whole engine.

Pressure in crankcase forced oil seals out.

>buy a former rental?
I've learned a lot about automatic transmissions through rentals: when they shift at full throttle, when they downshift, and what happens if you put it in drive while rolling backwards.