Looking for fullsize truck for payload

>Looking for fullsize truck for payload
>Run across a ram While I am out and about
>Check it out and it looks good
>Start dealing
>Get the guy down 60% his asking because we aren't in America and everyone thinks they suck
>Says he'll have to convince the wife
>Get home and start looking up payload ratings
>The ram boasts a 1766lbs payload
>Every spec sheet goes from a maximum of 2000lbs to as far low as 1200lbs

My fucking 90hp Toyota Hiace can carry 2700lbs. What kind of nonsense vehicle is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QsPnwi0nb2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Half ton trucks are made for driving to the office nowadays. If you want to haul you have to buy a truck that's actually beefy underneath in addition to looking beefy. The Ram 2500 and 3500 have reinforced frames and stronger suspensions and rear ends and so on. In all honesty though, ignore American trucks to begin with, for the most part they're a fucking meme.

>My fucking 90hp Toyota Hiace can carry 2700lbs
I bet it can with your lard ass in the car

>cant read stat sheets right
>wtf i h8 ram now

Euroclowns, folks.

From dodge's own website

Do you not understand what payload is?

>doesnt know the difference between payload and tow capacity

Holy shit you're a fucking retard.

Nice trips, but most of that rating is due to comfy rear suspension and nothing else.

I've had many trucks and built many more from organ donors at a used car lot and for myself, including installing wheel lift wrecker setups.

If you want payload and low taxes, buy a half-ton then install Hellwig rear overloads and Timbren urethane suspension helpers (they do not conflict due to different location.

Another option is fit rear springs from a heavier duty version. Those also don't conflict with overloads and Timbrens.

Recent half-tons have good brakes and you aren't going to hurt them with heavy loads within reason, like the milling machine I moved on my F150 which also carries a steel liftgate designed for a heavier duty truck.

Veeky Forums is not a truck forum. There are a shitload of truck forums. Go there, not here. You'll thank me later.

Yes I want to put shit in the bed.

No, I think I have it right. I already have trailers and towed equipment I pull behind the van but I wanted something that could carry a sling of cement or blocks without having to go for a trailer. I mean I was looking at a Dakota earlier on but got turned off because that was also 1700 lbs payload.

>Veeky Forums is not a truck forum. There are a shitload of truck forums. Go there, not here. You'll thank me later.

But there is not shitposting there.

>Recent half-tons have good brakes and you aren't going to hurt them with heavy loads within reason

My main concern would be riding the bump stops on rough third world roads. I have no intention of purchasing anything that I have to import shit from America just to upgrade to meet my needs. So I guess I will just go with a Dyna or something of the sort.

>shit in the bed
You certainly did.

>dodgeram.info
>Dodge's own website
Oh, I get it now. You're an idiot.

American payload ratings are a lot different than European. Europeans aren't fucking safe.

>I can carry 3 tonnes because the spec sheet says I can!
>Never mind that I can't go above 30mph, the suspension is bottomed out, the brakes don't stop, and my engine is screaming
>Haha stupid Americans

>Europeans aren't fucking safe.
No, Europeans aren't retarded. It's the Americans who think they need a full size truck to tow an ATV because they're too fucking stupid to drive at an adequate speed and with some foresight.

Look up how the trailer weights are actually determined between the two Nations.

Europe essentially doesn't give a FUCK about stability. USA factors that in.

You idiots pull trailers with little to no weight on the tongue, which is why you can tow more (since less weight is on your rear axles, reducing your GAWR). But anybody that actually pulls trailers knows that this is terrible for stability.

Care to continue spewing on about shit you've clearly not given even a cursory check to?

End result, OP: that truck will haul way the fuck more than your Toyota and will be more stable and safe as well. Just because you're using unequal payload scales doesn't mean it's inferior.

You're essentially saying "This truck has a 3/5 while this truck has a 5/10. 5 is higher than 3 so second truck wins."

We can tow more because we tow at safer speeds. Also there is a minimum mandated tongue weight here, it's just that both the minimum and the maximum are lower than in the US. Enjoy having to put half your trailer weight onto the fucking tongue so that your shitbarge doesn't spin out, and enjoy having to buy a huge body on frame retardmobile to tow a tiny ATV.

>You're essentially saying "This truck has a 3/5 while this truck has a 5/10. 5 is higher than 3 so second truck wins."
What the fuck are you talking about, you blabbering retard?

>no shitposting
>this is a bad thing
Mark my words, I am going to buy this fucking website from Hiro one day, no matter how much the fucking gookjew tries to extort from me. Once I am in control, I am gutting the moderation, re-staffing it, and by fucking god you would think snacks had returned or something because I am going to personally range ban every single little son of a bitch who thinks shitposting is even remotely acceptable outside of /b/ and I am not going to sleep until I have returned every single hobby and interest board to the level of ettiquite that was present in 2006, before the word shitposting had ever even been uttered before. You people have two fucking boards to use as a latrine now, and you have to shit in the regular ones and then tell people that actually come here to talk about their fucking hobbies to "go to a real forum lmao senpai this shitposting is lit af"

Your mentality has destroyed this website. I hope you enjoy that fact.

Just get a trailer, m8. You can pull the payload of a half ton truck behind a fucking VW Polo.

I don't see how that statement is unclear. He just said you're comparing apples to oranges. Do we need to remind you how octane ratings differ too or is that going to be the next thread you shit up?

>you
It's funny because it's the Americans who started shitting up a thread rambling about muh trucks even though the question was by a non-American. Your trucks are pieces of shit, go kill yourself.

>because we tow at safer speeds
oh fuck off
slower doesn't = safer when everyone else is doing the speed limit and you have to limp down a hill

>OP is retarded
>gets called retarded

>OP gets assmad and starts crying about Americans

Everytime.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Half ton trucks are light duty trucks here in America. Why? because we have bigger roads, petrol isn't expensive here nor diesel so we don't give a shit about 10mpg (unless you're an idiot who dd's their truck without utilizing it's truck features often) and our safety ratings are much different than euroland.

Sure, that Toyota mini truck can tow a bunch of weight, but that doesn't mean your brakes are up to the job of stopping in time, or handling hilly areas and stop and go traffic, or the transmission being up to the task of maintaining 50-70 mph while going up hill without overheating, or that you aren't slowly (or rapidly, depending on idiocy) destroying suspension and drivetrain components.
Good ol' merican 3500 duty trucks can and will happily tow a 20,000lb 40ft trailer all day everyday through mountain passes and do so (when maintained and barring the big 3 manufacturing defects/design flaws) for 150,000-300,000 miles before needing any serious sort of repairs or maintenance.
You want payload, get more than a half ton truck, or throw in a beefier suspension or better yet airbags on the rear, then overload it to your heart's content and enjoy the smell of burnt transmission fluid and a hot radiator.

I pulled close to 5 tons behind my ram 1/2 ton down the freeway at 60.
You are not doing that with a 90hp Toyota

>speed limit
The guy you are answering to is german, the highway speed limit is higher than the topspeed of any normal car.(463km/h or 290mph)
Also semis in the right lane have to drive the same speed as a car with a trailor anyway, so you won´t block traffic anyway.

It isn´t impossible or unsafe to do so if your trailor has brakes.

Tbh if you want a real truck you need a 3/4 ton at least. I've carried two pallets of sod (2-3 tons) in the back of my f-250 before no sweat.

Sure, but even with its 300tq, it was struggling, so no. Your shit car won't tow 5 tons. Unless its down hill, with a tailwind.

>my car
I am not the guy with the 90hp toyota.

But the thing is, if you rev higher, you won´t need much torque.
The concept is called "power".
It determines how fast you can accelerate and how fast you can go.
If we assume a coefficient of friction from 0,01 and a total mass of 6,5 metric tons, you would need a force of 650N.
650 N at 80 km/h or 22m/s are 14300W or 14,3kW or roughly 20hp.
Of course you still have to add air resistance, but that ain´t much at 80km/h.
So you`ll end up at like 40hp beeing needed to move a 6,5 ton vehicle trailor combination.

TL;DR
Even my 68hp Toyota would be able to pull 6 metric tonsand coud exceed 80km/h without any problem.

Did I scare the burgers away with highschool physics?

Right. But no ones going to fucking like it when it takes you 12km to get to speed.
Also what happens when you get a 20mph headwind, or go up a hill?

>My fucking 90hp Toyota Hiace can carry 2700lbs.

Up a mountain pass at 100mph? I don't fucking think so. This isn't the third world where it's 2mph perpetual traffic everywhere.

>muh 1 liter clown car can tow 20k lbs no problem! FUCKING AMERICUNTS

youtube.com/watch?v=QsPnwi0nb2Q

All this arguing misses a central point - OP is considering owning a Dodge. Dodge: the disposable truck.

OP, kit cars are better built and more reliable than a Dodge.

I don't know what you're talking about.
Mines close to 250k miles.
It's people that drive a car as if it was disposable.
Dodge doesn't require any more special preventative maintenance then the other manufacturers, it isn't their fault you can't replace a ball joint before the wheel comes off, Or figure out how not to drive through lakes and destroy the wiring.

Well, you have 50 hp more than you need, so you can get up to your speed faster than 12km and won´t get problems with headwind.
Uphill may reduce your speed a bit if it is verry steep.

How many of those miles were from it being towed?

In my ownership, about 50, on a trailer.
Bought it broken, fixed it for pennies and it's gone 20k so far.

It's never broke enough I can't get it home.

>My main concern would be riding the bump stops on rough third world roads.

Timbrens aren't bump stops. They are urethane springs. (They make them for anything including Class 8 heavy duty trucks.) Of course you could use proper airbags instead but I don't care for leaks or plumbing. I've had one set of Timbrens since 2004. They don't sack or wear out.

All my examples apply to any truck you expect to carry serious weight. If you max out any half-ton nominal rating frequently you'd be wise to do a rear suspension upgrade.

Whatever you buy, look over aftermarket options because you'll pay a lot less for your desired result. Of course Ford and Chevrolet have better aftermarket options because there are many more Fords and Chevys in Burgerland.

Another trick that's dirt cheap is to cut four pieces of heavy wall square tubing (which has rounded corners) then weld them to your stock overload spring pads such that they are always barely touching the overload leaf/leaves. Tubing axis is perpendicular to spring, "an open end faces out".

That way your struck doesn't have to squat for the stock overload leaves to contact. Those are not bump stops and do not feel like bump stops. This is a common trick when fitting a wrecker body to a "light duty" (2500, 3500) truck chassis. It works very well and costs little time.

I wouldn't tow the loads I haul or tow with a car because that tail would not only wag the dog, it would smash its face into a tree.

Enjoy whatever you buy and study it on BRAND SPECIFIC FORUMS.

how douchy would I be if I got a Roush 150?

Depends on which one you're talking about.

90's- early 00's Dodge's suffer from the anemic automatic transmissions. The manuals were fine. The mid 00's were pretty good. The newer ones (2010+) seem to have a lot of electrical gremlins but overall nothing that catastrophically bad.

>This is what Europeans actually believe
Holy shit. Do middle class Europeans actually own anything? How to you move your boats or bring home parts cars?

>look at a 1500-class truck
>wow why can it only carry roughly 1500lbs
fucking autism

is that a Roush?

I was sweating bullets when I had to haul this shit. It's rated to carry 1400 lbs but I must have been over, my rear leafs began to bow the opposite way. Looking into getting helper springs.

I believe this, had a Isuzu 2.2 that couldn't break 70mph.

Just buy a fucking transit, you can carry 10x more stuff in a transit than you can in any pickup.

the hiace can carry 800-850kg or 1750-1850lbs
it has little towing capability even by UK standards (2000kg or 4400lbs at the most)
depending on trim, the 1500 can tow up to 10000lbs
the difference? springs. the ram is offering a nicer ride, but you can upgrade the leaves for far superior payload capacity, since it has all the other components to pull far more weight.
don't tow? buy a van or upgrade a pickup.

>some people actually believe this

>How to you move your boats or bring home parts cars?
We load them on a trailor and pull them wherever we need them to be.

what happens when you live on a hill?

That depends on how much power your car has.
If you have a old Mercedes W123D naturaly aspirated diesel, You´ll need to shift down.
If you have enough power, you can keep your speed.

It's true.

A Luton will out carry any pickup.

You can legaly put a fucking car sideways into these, if you secure it properly.

A Mercedes Sprinter with a trailor is allowed to weight 7000kg or 15432 pounds.

Are you getting towing capacity and cargo area capacity confused?
Also
>buying a chrysler product instead of a Ford or Chevy

An F150 can carry that much payload, PLUS it's own weight. And it's a small truck compared to real haulers.

So I'm not sure who you were thinking this impresses.

Also your figures are wrong, a sprinter (under the same safety/weight standards as the F150) can carry roughly the same amount as payload, but can't tow even half as much.

Are euros really THIS mad, to the point of outright lies, that the ONE THING american manufacturers do right is done right? Go start some corvette vs gtr threads or something.

Don't ever come here asking for advice on trucks. Weebs and yuros know literally nothing about it. Every fucking truck thread turns into :"durr get a trailer and tow it with your 1.x liter shitbox or your dick is small"

When will yuros stop fucking projecting so much

>Durr, trailer 138 tons of logs with a cheby small block. Only people with questionable dick sizes use 18 wheelers.

Except Americans don't say that. They might try it, but they won't say that.