/ORG/ - Overland and off-Road General

Welcome to Offroad and Overland general. Spring cleaning edition.

Spring is here so that means more /out/ content and hopefully some more people who overland their rigs. Man I haven't started one of these threads in months
>feels good man

What we actually managed to maintain over the past 6 months despite constant autism:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
discord.gg/SenfAyU
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

ITT:
>we become a legitimate General on Veeky Forums
>Tayconderoga
>Cummy is absent
>trying to climb a hill in two 2WD Tacoma
>lockers and muh V6
>arctic trucks making us jealous with snow
>awd tyre discussion
>offroad tyre patching discussion
Suburban general
Shitposting general
Overlanding general
Anger general

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/Nilight-Lights-Driving-Lighting-Warranty/dp/B00WE47FVM/
imoutodreams.us/
discord.gg/SenfAyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is a GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon a good vehicle?

Absolutely. What are you going to use it for, though?

FUCK

Nice try tho

They've very good. But make sure you know what you're using them for.
IE they're horrid for innacity daily commuting unless you shuttle 5+ people every day and carpool

Now there's 2 threads for us to post in?

Been busy with the new position at work. Haven't been able to do much to Murph lately. I took it out tailgating 2 weeks ago. It was ipening night at the raceway

Can I get redpilled on off roading? What are the do and don't, best tips for beginners, and general advice? I have a 2000 4runner with all seasons and I've been wanting to off road for awhile now. I live close to upstate NY and PA so the options are plenty.

Here's something quick and basic as I'm tired atm. I'm sure others will chime in!

Do:
Have fun
Bring proper recovery gear in case
Practice good trail etiquette
Know the limitations of your vehicle

Don't:
Tresspass/Go where we're not allowed
Do anything to give this hobby a bad rep
Go alone without proper gear
Get carried away, especially if using a DD

>pooparoo forester
kys

You underestimate my power

Should I go dual battery or single group 31 battery plus solar? Plan to run a whynter fridge and need to charge phones, cameras. Also are cambodian tire batteries any good or should I sell my soul for yellow top optimas?.

Alberta fag if that helps.

dual bat is going to be more powerful. seems like you have a lot of shit you need to power. if its one or the other id go dual bat. if you can swing both, id hardwire the fridge directly to the solar panel and have it be directly powered by that and nothing else. then use your second battery for all your other shit.

i dont know shit about cambodian batties, yellow top are p sweet though but there are dozens of other options that are great and cheaper.

Cambodian Tyre is our joke name for "Canadian Tire" that is our bulk gas, automotive, outdoor, and firearms store located every 10 blocks in Canada.

They're alright. You can use them for road tyres or second batteries without issue

I'm looking up lighting options again for my LX450 and am more than happy with the two driving / fog / spot lights I have on Taynger being 75W KCs.
They're great for fog if I aim the spots down whilst driving on country roads and they're amazings for offroad illumination if I angel them upwards.

It'd be nice to have a similar setup on the Land Cruiser but since I have a roof basket, I'll have more viable options for lighting. This includes getting dedicated fog lights, one police spot, and two driving lights. Along with front and rear bitch lights (almost needed with how tall this fucking thing is).

Any recommendations besides:
55W inboard fog lights
100W KCs apollos on the roof
110W PIAA driving lights
A high intensity police spot on driver's side
a backup bitch light
maybe rear fog lights

Though, if I angel the lighting, I can use the PIAAs to signal passenger aeroplanes. I just don't want to seem overly excessive with the amount of shit I have on this vehicle. So I may just shove an LED light bar in the grille as the "dry lighting" system. Like the thing I recommended the user in the last thread amazon.ca/Nilight-Lights-Driving-Lighting-Warranty/dp/B00WE47FVM/

>bulk gas, automotive, outdoor, and firearms store
that place sounds amazing
why would you ever need to go anywhere else

Like every be-all store (except costco), their gas, automotive, and firearm selections are all more expensive and shit.
>gas always costs 10-20% more than competitors
But they're the only people who service interstate (interprovince?) gas stations
>mossy nuggets for $250
>SKSs for $350
But at least they carry firearms unlike any other big box store. Good for ammo but i had a few misfires on their American Eagle .223 for some raisin
>gerber knives that cost $50
>buck knives that cost $150
At least their tents are always on sale.
>automotive always tries to sell you more shit
>service all brands mean they service no speciality anything
But they are the first place you go when you get lighting, oil, or fluids.

I wonder if they have offroad lighting...

I caught myself typing the word "tyre" today. god damn it Veeky Forums

*breath in

do you not talk about tyres on a regular basis? :^)

BOI

I also need to step it up in terms of lighting... I also want to throw some stuff up on the roof as the old mounts for the lightbar are still up there but wiring is definitely going to be PITA

Love the police spotlight idea. I had one of those on an old work truck and god was it useful!

Duel battery for sure. Keep your regular starting and shop for an appropriate AH rated deep cycle battery.
>id hardwire the fridge directly to the solar panel and have it be directly powered by that and nothing else.
And don't do this. You'll run into constant voltage drop out problems. If you're going to run a solar panel, get a DC/DC battery management system that'll distribute the solar charge as required, usually making sure the starting battery is optimum and then maintaining the deep cycle battery.
And hard wire the fridge and all your other camping accesories to the deep cycle.

Can't beat a pair of Lightforce 240s as driving lights. The beauty of the 240 Blitz is they're adjustable between pencil and spread. With reflector housings, bigger=better before you even look at globe.

Is that your lexie?

Also, those lights are enormous! I might not be able to beat them but I wouldn't want those on the front of my vehicle... Just preference - nothing against them.

Nup, just the most relevant google image I could find. Each to their own I suppose, but IRL they look the goods IMO, along with a fair few other 9" lights (Narva 225 as an honourable mention).

This time around I'm aiming for a quadrant of Lightforce 170 Strikers on the bullbar. They'll just fit between the uprights.

Anybody have any ideas for some offroading inspired print/livery for a vinyl wrap on a 95 wrangler? We've got a guy working for the family business that does graphic design for us (specializes in wrapping cars) and we're planning on having a spare jeep my uncle had laying around wrapped as a promotional type of deal. Our guy can draw up and print anything we want and is planning on doing some kind of digital camo with the company logo incorporated somehow but I'm just curious what else could be done.

Looks very similar to pic related with a little lift and different wheels/bigger tires

Make it look muddy.

Well yea but I was thinking maybe something that doesn't just show up when you drive it, yaknow?

I'd like this without the fake diamondplate

What do you consider proper recover gear?

I have a 11,000lb electric winch
Hilift jack
Traxx
Shovel
Ropes and snatches

Does anyone still have that Rockauto coupon code?

I meant mane a wrap that makes it look muddy, like with the company logo "under" the mud. It might be gay, but normies eat that kind of shit up.

Yeah.

Tire repair kit, 12v compressor, quick deflator, tool kit, extra fluids for everthang, spare bolts/nuts, CB hardwired, CB hand held, etc.

+1 for the portable air compressor.
Air comp, tire gauge/deflater and elastic snatch strap/shackles. There's your basic recovery kit, and for the most part that's all I grab these days for a casual drive.

I really need to make up a decent skid pan for my Forester.

Something like pic related would be nice, or even a full bumper replacement, albeit i'm not sure I can legally do that here in Aus without getting it engineered due to airbag sensors etc

It's always interesting to see the shitposting that works it's way into these threads when literally no one wants it here (by no one, I mean no one that actually matters.) If you want to talk about Subarus, make a thread for that. This thread is about offroading, which you can't do.

Airbag sensors shouldn't be a thing? Have you tried hitting your vehicle on a tree?
The sensor should sense rapid deceleration and not a brunt force impact.

Well, not him, but kindly go fuck yourself.

With right mods forester is pretty capable offroad.

thats quite the open ended and broad question my man. im going to ignore your first sentence since its really hard to answer, i think you'll have more specific questions as time goes on. but to address the second part of your post, what is your budget, what do you plan to do, and what is the terrain like near you? 3rd gen 4runners are great little rigs. you can get away with a lot if you just upgrade your tires and throw on a set of all terrains (with a full sized spare.) if youd like to go a little more crazy, upgrade your suspension with a basic bolt on kit too and maybe add some armor. outside of that though, most of us on here like to (((overland))) so if i were you id be looking at a sleeping situation/storage/food solutions etc so you can camp out of your rig. but if thats not a priority for you then who cares.

solid post. recovery gear/first aid kit are probably the most important stuff to have on you at all times.

>cb
>mfw
jk im actually getting a cb soon mainly bc im too lazy for the ham test. 2m is better in every way though.

From what little I understand basically adding a bull bar or something similar will drastically change the rate at which the car crumples, in turn changing how fast the car decelerates and depending on how the sensors for the airbag are calibrated they can trigger to soon/too late and either completely fuck you up or fail to protect you at all.

Go and cry somewhere else faggot.

Cbs are the tits, I always keep a hand held on me for hiking since I can get all the weather information while increasing my chances of being able to contact 4wheelers in the area if I get into some trouble

OLOLOLOLOL

It's always interesting to see the shitposting that works it's way into these threads when literally no one wants it here (by no one, I mean no one that actually matters.) If you want to talk about Subarus, at least do your research on how they can be capable. This thread is about offroading, which they can definitely do.

>poser parking lot picture
No, it isn't. Keep fantasising, but you know it's a lie.
>poser parking lot picture
Boy you sure are starting to convince me.
Show me some then.

>making an effort to convince some salty faggot on mongolian horse pictures website

You're right, I should really stop trying to convince you that you're retarded. Enjoy your shit mobile and changing axles every oil change.

>Being this salty

Can you show me on the parts fiche where did the Subaru owner touched you user?

You fucking WISH your car could do this.

Is that a shopping cart as a roof basket? If so, I'm very glad someone finally took my advice.

I wish my XJ could get on a parking block but not go over it because I'm scared?
It started in the axles I had to touch every day, and it led to him touching my threads.

Let's see that rug munch mobile go on over.

Why has nobody posted crowvideocaps

Well you're in luck my man
imoutodreams.us/

>fucking your already weak suspension's geometry and shitty ride quality with homemade lift kits that fail to make your Subaru as capable as a stock Suburban

>Implying I want/need a stock suburban
>implying I'm not just doing light off roading
>Implying your opinion matters at all

>With right mods forester can look like it's capable offroad.
ftfy.

idunno mane we could do so much more with it than a flat color or wet dirt. The guy can literally print anything he wants. I feel like having that kind of ability and blowing it on some mud stickers is a bit of a waste. We could have it tie-dyed on every surface or have every panel covered in printed sheets of continuous dildos. Literally any image he can put together in photoshop in the dimensions of a jeep. The goal is to showcase the huge amount of options potential customers could go with in a cool and presentable design that attracts positive attention.

>implying you need a Subaru

You buy what fits what you want to use it for.
If you want a shit ride with a weak suspension system pushed past it's limits with completely fucked geometry and very little off road capability, then you buy a Subaru.

It's not hard to trace the logic back to the source. You're not interested in off road. You're interested in looking like you're interested in off road, but at the same time making sure you don't come off as what you perceive the typical "off road" person as. You want to show everyone that sees your car that you're an interesting outdoors person, but at the same time different from everyone else in the crowd you are attempting to associate with. Everyone here is giving you a hard time because you're trying to be a special snowflake.
If you stopped trying to be a special snowflake, people would stop giving you a hard time. If you like your Subaru, that's fine. If you like to abuse it off road, that's fine. But stop pretending that it's good at it. Stop pretending that you bought it out of some "need" for a specific range of capability that you determined your vehicle needed to fall into because you could NOT use a vehicle that was more capable even if it were cheaper.

Pretty much this. For what they are, the Foresters that came with a centre difflock and low range option are reasonably capable, but trying to push it outside its design parameters by means of bottoming out suspension geometry and half shaft angles all in the pursuit of making it appear more offroad friendly is a lost cause. Coupled with the other problem of not having a structurally sound rated recovery point necessitating contraptions like this cobbled together.

>Blah blah blah stop liking what I don't like
I'm here to stay wether you like it or not, so you'd best get used to it you double nigger.

>Blah blah blah stop liking what I don't like
If you'd read the post it was actually the opposite of that.

Saying you bought a Subaru because you didn't need a Suburban is like saying you became a faggot because you didn't need kids.

Stop making excuses and just admit you like to take it up the ass.

What do you drive, 9fagger?

Is that so?
>You are not interested in off road
I am interested in off road, which is why I ask a lot of questions. Generally without pictures I might add.
>You are interested in looking off road
Which is why the only off road looking thing on my vehicle you can see is my axe/shovel mount
>You want to look different from everyone else
There is no way to argue this that can be proved, take my word that it looks like the average subie in my area.
>Snowflake and everything else after
If he read anything I've posted since I got here he would see that I've never claim it was good at anything other than running on logging roads and LIGHT off roading, which is the message I've kept to since I discovered this general. I discovered off road after buying it and have never been interested in taking it beyond what I've stated in these threads.

Which translates the whole tangent into stop liking what I don't like.

If it's not bleedingly obvious you're talking to blue XJfag, then that explains the other short sighted thinking that led you down the Subaru path.

How off-road capable is a pretty much stock 96 tacoma?

Not even him but you should seriously fuck off. All you are is a lightning rod for making these threads worse. Maybe check back in after summer.

>completely ignoring the part that tells you keep liking what you like
You completely missed the point of the post, so you made one up to argue with. One more reason you're a detriment to these threads.

When it just finished two days of hard storming, you can try out your vehicle in the same logging roads. The trails get around 2x harder and the puddles make a different path. It's like a completely different type of driving which is nice.

Just be careful of ditches that could appear 2-4x deeper than you think they actually are. Plus you get that little satisfaction of going from 30-0 by going full speed into a puddle splashing muddy water all over the place

o hai!
whatcha drinking tonight?

lmao we had two people ask this question last thread.
>post engine
>post drivetrain
>post tyres
>post location and condition of trails/roads
>do you have lockers?

also:
>inb4 shut the fuck up
>inb4 i'll never work anywhere besides mcdonald's ass. manager

what did he mean by this?

I don't work at McDonald's. No idea what that means.
But here's the taco in question

Sounds like neat challenge to try out. It stormed pretty bad here not that long ago and I went out to try out a logging road for those reasons alone. Unfortunately the trails really didn't change that much. If I'm lucky we'll get a spring rain/wind storm so I'll get another chance before the sun comes up and dries everything up

How dare you ask for clarification. You know how I know you'll never make manager? Management material doesn't ask for clarification. Management material makes wild guesses and enforces them by firing anyone that speaks up. You're not important and you will never amount to anything, not even shift manager you worthless minimum wage earning ranger driving excuse of a lifeform. Stop pretending you're important.

I'm not blueXJfag, but if I was drinking it'd be a 12YO Glenfiddich... Or what ever beer was in the fridge.

>minimum wage earning ranger driving excuse of a lifeform
jesus christ user
what did i ever do to you......?

He was correct that I originally told the subaloser to fuck off, but I trailed off after realising it was just a child larping. I was drinking cheap beer as always though, then I went to sleep, now I'm up to poop because I ate some bad food last night and it's still killing my guts.

Bought a 2002 Chevy S10 a couple weeks ago
>4.3 V6
>4l60E auto
>2WD open diff
>No body rust, small amount on frame under bed in South Ontario
>81,000 Kilometers
>6 previous owners
>haven't looked up the VIN yet in fear
Planning on doing a 2in spindle/shackle lift with different shocks and putting 29in KO2's on it soon. I know I want soft 8's but I'm not sure how wide I should go and what offset I should get yet. Going to be ripping the front valance off and putting together a diamond plate skid plate for it this weekend if I don't get called into work. Plan for the truck is to put smaller steel bumpers and sliders on, and eventually lights and a winch. Truck is a daily and would really only be going down logging roads and some light trails to go camp or haul a 3 Wheeler to, otherwise I would have bought a 4x4.

Is that Raglan? If it is I got a flat a couple days ago about 40 feet forward from that picture coming the other way and watched a stock Subaru Legacy Wagon drive into the pits.

Be careful of bogpits that end up softening the already soft dirt and making the ruts much deeper. A good idea is to strafe the ruts but you gotta also watch out for shit like this.
You have a low centre of gravity so you don't have to worry about tipping over like Tayconderoga does... But you might have to worry about hydrolocking if it's too low or just general mud bogging you down.

what kind of paths do you run / where are you located? do you have the 3.5 V6 and if so, is it 4wd selectable?
What are those tyres? standard michelins?

o. get a bottle of aberfeldy when you get the chance. it's a good entry single malt and the same price, too.

You do know there's at least 2 subielosers in here right?

Never rode any paths. I'm green as fuck when it comes to anything off-road. Only ever went with friends and nothing extensive.
live in Virginia, and it is 4wd fo sho.
Not overly sure what tires are on it.

Haven't had much time with it since i got it due to work.
Wanting to take it down to Carolina to do some beach riding this weekend. Hopefully some trails up in the mountains sometime this summer work permitting

It's on Boundary. I go up there as it's part of my biweekly commute before getting to farm territory. I like taking that road especially if it's an afternoon, and don't want to deal with 401 'shwa traffic.
I've even made a delivery half way Durham East cross Forest just a few weeks ago. Drop me a line if you're on of4. Are you on the Veeky Forumsterrible discord? I'm heading back up to do legit overlanding next Tuesday near that Buddhist temple in Ungava

>29 inch KO2s
wanna buy my 33 inch KO2s? only 30 000km!
lemme know how the skid plate work ends up going and also if you're going to do a leveller and what the winch / bumper will be.

Fucking kill yourself phoneposter.

:^)

I consider them one shit entity of losers, lumped in with people that argue suburban vs land cruiser for no reason other than praying they'll will something. Guts are settled once again momentarily, so I'm going to sleep a little more before work in a couple hours.

4wd and you're better than the other two 2wd tacos in this thread. they have lockers, though, so it's excusable. Kinda like any Subaru in this thread. as long as they know their limits :^)

Anyway, you should be pretty capable. keep it in 2wd for as long as possible when running trails. you shouldn't NEED to take 4wd if you're diong fire paths or gravel roads. But if you decide to get a bit frisky, keep it in 2wd so you know where you can (and especially) cannot go.
Then when you're finally off the trails and are stuck in 2wd, engage 4wd-l and start it really slowly in 2nd gear. don't spin your tyres wildly. instead, rock back and forth until you have enough momentum to go in / out of your hole

if you can't get enough momentum, bring your tyre PSI down to 10-15, shoves some wood under the tyres, and then do the same trick again and again.

keeping it in 2wd and only using 4wd-l will teach you where you can bring your machine. and it will serve as your only recovery tool.

I personally learned on an i-5 colorado and at least 3 phone calls to friends asking them to pull me out.

wtf do you use innawoods?
this is overland general, afterall... and i'm not setting up a 110v setup in my camper just to run Veeky Forums on a desktop

Not on of4 yet. My friend and I probaby run Boundary 2-4 times a week since we just live in Oshawa and don't have any better place to be. And I promise officer we don't have small bush parties while trespassing in the pits firing off air guns and there definitely isn't any underage drinking and smoking either. :>)

I would have to start cutting fenders on my truck to fit those. My bud with the FJ62 might be interested, but I think he's more looking for 35in mud tires and dailying on his 30in KO2's.

Good shit. Thanks man.
Why start in 2nd gear over first?

>wtf do you use innawoods?

Nothing because I go /out/ to be /out/ and get away from all the bullshit, uploads can wait until after the trip.

Lemme know. I have 33s on my FJ80 right now and 32s on my Ferd Ranger. It's gonna thunderstorm this weekend so if you want, we can go in the pouring rain which is whole different experience.

Some guy in Oshawa also has a Porsche 944 and I've been meaning to get him out on boundary road to teach him how to drive off road. Hop on the discord and shoot me a direct message, senpai. discord.gg/SenfAyU

I'd love to see an old S-10 again. I miss my Colorado sometimes, desu.

You'll feel it if you're in 4wd-l. If you're in 2wd or even 4wd-h, you'll just feel a stutter if you try to engage in 2nd gear.
But for the same reason you don't want to slam on the throttle when you're stuck in a bogpit, you will need to do 2nd gear to maximise your torque and grip strength. 1st gear is like an initiator gear: high speed and leads to less grip (torque at the tyre). 2nd gear is less acceleration frisky.

le sigh
i wish i could not be tied to my phone.

Sweet. I'll be a trail riding cunt in no time!
Back roads have been a bit flooded out here the past few days. So I might go hoon around in those areas a bit.
Had my bike out there today so I think the truck should make it lol

Pic was from the first big rainfall of spring. Never seen more people there than that day. Don't think my friend wants to go back till he gets his truck more sorted out, and I probably shouldn't beat on my truck so much in its current state. I did manage to make it from Coates rd to the very end of Boundary and then back again last Monday. I'm told the rear end was hopping off the ground when I was going over ruts.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have bought a Double cab Colorado beater. Can't cram as many people in this truck as my old Impala and, and the problem with this truck is after looking at Kijiji this might be one of the cleanest S10's left, and might be worth a lot ,more than the $4000 I paid for it.

as a last resort (so you don't come on here frantically asking us "what do" if / when you're stuck), bring tyre PSI down to 10 and run back and forth crawling

and if that doesn't work, take a floor mat, put it under your lift point, take a garage jack, jack up the tyre that's stuck, and shove wooden logs, pillars, etc under it. i always carry some 2x4s in the bed of my truccs when offroading. damn those things are helpful.

take pictures!

>no airsoft guns, occifer
>aus iffer
Sweet. I like the recovery point on the rear bumper and the rear light, too.

If you want, crawl along at 20PSI and you can feel the difference. I'm always game on teaching people new techniques when innapaths. You can run 10-15 PSI on Boundary road to 57. Then run Wild turkey up to 7th. From 7th, it's just 2 klicks to Bethany where you can air your tyres back up to 30-35PSI.

Anyway, give me a shout. If I'm not hobbling around in a farmer's shed near boundary, I'm using it as a detour to go to another farmer's shed 2-5 hours East of boundary road. so i'm there every 2 weeks or so (and definitely more in the summer).

I like to race Dirt bikes in Taynger going fucking 60kmph down the dirt road with 10% visibility with the dust that they kick up.

I doubt I'll get stuck on the Back roads. If my bike made it I'm sure the truck will do fine.
I am pretty stoked about my beach run this weekend. A guy I work with lives down that way so we'll most likely spend the entire weekend riding on beaches, drinking, and playing with guns.

Life is ok

Because I only just bought this truck I'm only just now able to explore these roads since my friend couldn't afford the gas for his 62 and my Impala was an Impala. Now we both have money and trucks and its spring so we're just now able to explore.

Impressive list for a newbie!
I'm assuming you're ?

>
>Tire repair kit
>12v compressor
>quick deflator
You can get away without these if you have a proper spare... unless you're in soft terrain where airing down is necessary.

> Tool kit
>extra fluids for everthang
>Spare bolts/nuts
ABSOLUTELY THIS!!!

>CB hardwired, CB hand held, etc.
Not a must but god damn does it make things easier.

Someone mentioned it before but you'd be silly going out without a basic first aid kit.

Details on this? I have a buddy with a Fozzie who wants something like this.

Are you licensed for Ham? I'd also recommend a handheld ham too! If you can reach a repeater when in trouble your call for help can go much much further

Y no Tay reference?

>Subie vs. the shitpost battle royale
Welcome Subie brethren! Ignore MrCummy.

>couldn't spend money on maintenance for his 62
>let alone gas to even run it
>buys one anyway
This man is a good man.

Beater trucks are nice, I'll admit. But solid choice on a fully functioning S-10. They still look great and hold their value. Put it up on kijiji for $7000 and see if you get any biters.

>now can only explore
wanna hit the trails up in bobcaygeon? ;)