Model 3

Production begins in July

Will it BTFO the 3 series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zY_zqEmKV1k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Loses performance as you drive

lol no

Tesla isn't a serious company or they would have lead with this.

They lead with an Electric Lotus. It was a total turd and they had to get a government bailout. The S had to come because a car had to be huge to accommodate such a large battery pack that's never been done on a production car. They marketed it as "luxury" so rich fags who were used to buying BMWs and Land Rovers wouldn't complain about the unreliability.

>They marketed it as "luxury" so rich fags who were used to buying BMWs and Land Rovers wouldn't complain about the unreliability.
Fucking genius, this is what most Euro startup super car companies do. hell, this is what Ferrari did for a lot of their cars. people are dumb badge whoring fucks. the only reason the Tesla "badge" means something to people is because its already synonymous with "Electric" cars and after other Manufacturers try to make luxury Electric cars they just can't get the publicity of Tesla. it also doesn't hurt that Elon Musk is a fairly charming dude to people and speaks very generous optimism to say the least. Whens the last time the CEO of VAG or chief engineer of Porsche came on talk shows and shit?

that looks fucking terrible

it's like a retarded Snivy

So many normies will buy it mark my words
It has everything a normie wants

>tfw 3 family members put a deposit down on it and are going to buy one
It's literally the ultimate normiemobile. Keep in mind, one of these people (my uncle) already has a Tesla Model S 85 and the battery life is nowhere close to advertised and the Florida heat isn't helping... yet he's going to willingly give another ~$35k to this company he's only had constant problems with.

Elon's man Musk is too strong for normies I suppose.

Well maybe your family is investing in the future of the planet. Someone fucking has to, especially once the EPA gets scrapped.

investing in the future of the planet means driving something very small and lightweight. Like a kei-car, pushbike or a motorcycle.

Apple of the car world

The only people I've seen interested in this is techies. One of the biggest nerds I know, who's an Apple fanboy by the way, put down a deposit. He doesn't own a car as we live in Boston.

I'd bet my life on it he's only getting it because

1.) it's Musk and he can do no wrong
2.) It's an electric vehicle. Electric vehicles are state of the art technology. He likes technology. It only makes sense he likes the Model 3 as an affordable-ish electric car.
3.) It's run out of Silicon Valley. And it's run like a tech startup. Maybe not as obvious as a reason but I'm sure it subconsciously influences his opinion of it.
4.) I doubt he knows much about cars in the first place considering he barely drives around now.

>investing in the future of the planet
By piling up government (our) debt?

Jesus Christ it's hideous. Shaped just like a prius

>2.) It's an electric vehicle. Electric vehicles are state of the art technology. He likes technology. It only makes sense he likes the Model 3 as an affordable-ish electric car.

I highly doubt that.

1st, the EV's are only emerging, technology isn't mature enough if you compare it to IC engines.

2nd, infrastructure sucks, you can't charge it in minutes while you perfectly can do that if you have IC engine.

The nearest future is E85/biodiesel.

E85 is quite promising actually, especially if we talk about gasoline DI engines with FI: you can run very high compression ratio with boost.

>Apple of the car world
you're spot on

Wrong. They used exactly the right strategy you need to do when you're trying to start up in an established market. Create a niche and expensive model that will appeal to the enthusiasts, work out the kinds with that because you know they're the die hards and will forgive any imperfections. Then create a product with mass appeal once you have the experience and some data about what works and what doesn't. If Tesla rushed to market with a $30,000 sedan it would've been a complete and utter shitshow. Look at their Roadster, it was a disaster and the first generation Model S wasn't so great either.

Maybe state of the art was too big of a phrase. But it still is a highly interesting technology that would get people in the tech world who know nothing about cars excited about these kinds of cars. Especially from a SV based car company.

Alphonse you dumb nigger

Thank you Elong for putting another shit ugly car on the roads. This is our generation's Aztec.

>Elong
>Charming
pick one

>our generation's Aztec
Are you 10 years old?

>Can't make a car with better build quality than a early 2000s dodge for 70k
>Making a 35k car
This is going to end well.

Do they even have the same customer demographic? Most people that I know that preordered one own hatchbacks, japanese and american cars.

I love it when clueless normalfags with a degree in cocksucking call a heap of batteries and a few electric motors "advanced technology". Give me two week and 10k and I'll build you an electric car with a similar or better range.

Protip: Most people in tech seem smart but are actually as dumb as a goldfish. Look at Elon, he thought designing and building a car would be identical to building a cell phone.

I mean really, stop and think about that for a second, how far does one need to have their head up their ass to think consumer electronics and automobile engineering are comparable.

i see it a little bit differently, but anyways the idea is the same:

1. design and sell [very] expensive model to maximize $$$ per car sold.
2. invest as much $$$ as possible in technology to beta-test it
3. design 'cheap' model using stuff learned to gain market
4. Prophet

The front of these being flat is just an atrocity.
That's not how lithium batteries work.

The catch is that the Model 3 MUST be a success. Tesla are losing money hand over fist trying to set up all the infrastructure necessary for their cars to succeed, such as the gigafactory and the superchargers. There's only so long a company can post 500+ million losses. If the Model 3 flops Tesla might as well throw the towel in, I don't think they can survive another 5 years while they develop a new model if they keep losing cash like they are now.

If we meme it, it will be so

Why would we do that? Tesla fans are obnoxious and the last thing America needs is more cars that baby people and lead to more useless shit added through regulation.

No, we meme it to failure. On the other hand I'd like normies to have cars that accelerate quickly, more people make it through lights etc.

>Will it BTFO the 3 series?

Yes, just like the Cadillac STD and the Alfa Romeo Giulia obliterated the 3 series!

Sadly this, normies will lap it up thinking they're getting a Model S for $35k or less
The idiots don't realise that the fit and finish as well as build quality will be way worse than the already mediocre Model S' and X. I predict that even the Civic will have a nicer interior

People who were born when the Aztec came out are having more sex than you now

>investing in the future of the planet
>with a personal luxury automobile that needs of 1200lbs of lithium to cart around your 1.5 children in suburbia
Don't fucking kid yourself

How are they going to be assembled worse than other cars that are built in the same plant by the same company?

I'm still the winning sperm

The flipside is if the Model X does well enough for Tesla to keep it's head above water then they're poised to be extremely successful. They're on the forefront of automated driving technology so they could potentially be one of the first companies to offer automated hauling services and automated taxi services. If they can grab a big enough market share before Toyota, VAG, etc catch up then they'll be in a fantastic position. Petroleum is only going to get more and more expensive, so if Tesla can stay alive time is in it's favor.

How are they going to be assembled just as well for half the price?
How are they going to have acceptable build quality when their high end cars still don't?

Easy. Elong grossly overpromised production quanity compared to their capability. Corners will be cut everywhere and burned out laborers wont give a shit.

>They're on the forefront of automated driving technology
Plz go back to /g/, you are embarassing yourself.

C classes were made in the same factory that my S class was. Are you implying that they should also have the same built quality? Because I guarantee you that it's the exact opposite

Except, they are. Name one other mass produced car that has autopilot anywhere near the level of Teslas

Even if the labourers did have a shit to give, they probably can't with the material, material and time they get.

The Model X slams it's stupid fucking doors against other cars and people's heads
And oil is dirt fucking cheap

Google, Uber, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc.

Audi's auto pilot can pelt you around a track at full speed, and Mercedes' system requires you to touch the wheel every 90 seconds so you don't start watching Harry Potter like a dumbfuck and getting yourself killed
>LOL IT'S JUST A BETA BRO

Infiniti Q50
youtube.com/watch?v=zY_zqEmKV1k

Besides Tesla nobody else in the industry is retarded enough to call the combo active braking, cruise control and lane departure assist 'autopilot'.

>And oil is dirt fucking cheap
Only in the US, and it's not going to stay that way. Oil is finite and it's going to get harder and harder to extract and push up prices. It's inevitable.

Ok? Name the model of car any of those companies produce right now that can drive as well as a Model S on autopilot. I'm well aware that all automakers are developing autopilot systems, they'd be retarded if they weren't. Tesla is the only one with vehicles on the road RIGHT NOW in consumer hands driving themselves.

>what is ethanol
>what is bio-diesel
>what is e-gas
Nah bro, let's just ditch a well established infrastructure because it hurts some hippie's fee-fees

All of the cars in the world combined don't pollute anywhere close to the massive fucking ships running off of bunker oil needed to ship those heavy Teslas and their parts and batteries all around the world

Go sit in any high end luxury car. I'm biased towards Mercedes so go check out the W222 S Class

Ink is high tech. Why shouldnt it be more expensive than blood?

All of those are more expensive to produce than petroleum. The price to run your car is still going up. They're also more inefficient than current electric cars.

Not even close. I accept your surrender.

Tesla looks like spaceship from the future compared to this trumpmobile.

It's predicted that we'll hit peak oil by 2030, not because we'll be running out but because it'll just be cheaper to produce alternatives than it would be to extract oil from the Earth

>durr why would you use LED bulbs when incandescents are so much cheaper?
This is how you sound

Just admit that you've never sat in any of these cars

It's not like they've been producing it for decades. It's like economics of scale doesn't apply to printer manufacturers

>printer costs less than the ink despite being bundled with ink

Electric cars are so much less efficient in the hot or cold. And if your area is still using coal, you're just moving the pollution away from you

Teslas look and feel like they were made by Ikea

>It's predicted that we'll hit peak oil by 2030, not because we'll be running out but because it'll just be cheaper to produce alternatives than it would be to extract oil from the Earth
That's because oil is getting more expensive as the deposits that are easy to reach are exhausted and we need to turn to more expensive methods of extraction. There's a reason shale oil wasn't a big industry in the 90s but it's huge now. The point stands, cars that run on conventional fuel are going to get progressively more expensive. Electric is the future because energy is just getting cheaper and cheaper.

Because the light from incandescent is nicer and I prefer it

tism

>Electric is the future because energy is just getting cheaper and cheaper.
Where the fuck do you think the electricity comes from you tard? It's not like we are mining it out of the ground.

It sure is

Everytime I see a Tesla I crave for a Fisker Karma more.
>ywn own a Karma
Life is suffering.

Just buy new printers everytime you run out of ink and stop crying

Environmentally friendly unicorn farts

Wind, solar, hydro. Renewables.

Had 2006 S350 if that counts. It was worn out piece of shit but still.

Drove in Model S only as passenger as some clients from Austria visited company where I work and Tesla was their company car.

everyone does because of evolution. the mindless pop-sci drone that wants to save the world doesn't know this of course.

Oh shit, I didn't realize your mental prowess until you posted it on this rice quality monitoring board.

Here's money whimsical stranger

I went paperless, HP can go fuck themselves

High efficiency coal pants in worst case scenario.

Still much better than ICE in average car.

Sucks to live in a country that still uses fossil fuels to generate power. Luckily I live in a modern first world country, one day you burgerfats will catch up

Technically he is correct, as technology improves we will get energy for cheaper and cheaper. I'm hoping for the thorium breakthrough within a few decades, last I checked the big bottleneck is getting a drain pipe that can withstand the temps but not corrode.

I'm sure Mercedes has some advanced autopilot going on in 2006

Enjoy those rapefugees

Need a sauce on that claim

I just want to save my wallet
>9 watts vs 60 watts

I'm sure those will meet America's energy demands, when the country already has to import 40% of its electricity

Could go nuclear but too many retards are terrified of it

Doesn't work. Why? Because it can't cover the base load, no matter how many wind and solar plants you build.
>just use pumped-storage plants lmao
It would require several thousand pumped-storage plants just to partially smoothen the power fluctuation from wind and solar in Germany. Even if you had the space for all those pumped-storage plants, you could as well build hundreds of nuclear power plants instead and generate infinitely more reliable power.
t. from a country that fell for the eco meme

Wynne is shutting down a nuclear plant in Ontario after dumping money into windmills and giving electricity away for virtually free to Jew York. She thought it was a good deal

Don't Germans pay like 40 cents per kwh? That's over 4 times more than what we pay

>muh 3 mile island
Don't build plants on fault lines
>muh fukushima
Don't build plants on coasts
>muh chernobyl
Don't use an experimental design from fucking soviet russia that was slap-dashed together
NUCLEAR IS THE FUTURE JUST BUILD THE PLANTS SMART REEEEEEEE

>wind

As a wind turbine technician I can say they aren't good for the environment.
It's filled with oils, grease and chemicals, the people servicing them drive around in big fuel guzzling diesel vans driving large distances (I personally do about 80-100k km a year).

Also they barely produce any power compared to coal and gas powered powerplants. They only ones that produce a lot are the off-shore ones, which are much more expensive to build, need way more maintenance and need replacement quicker.

The only reason they're popular here is the money the owners get, due to government funding.

Mine didn't have anything but park sensors but I can still compare interiors.

Tesla suits my taste much better, it's all tech no shitty bling, looks so fresh and modern.

Merc has more of a feel of your rich grandpas living room and bathroom mix with kitschy chrome details and furniture type stitched leather.

My problem with tesla is that god-awful touchscreen for almost literally everything.

How afraid are you of living this out?

Just google it, there was study on it.

In terms of CO2 emission Tesla powered purely from coal power plant has footprint of small euro diesel car.

I have a newer W221, same generation as you car and I can safely say that the interior in the Model S is an entire class below the Merc's at least.

Tesla put more emphasis on "modern looks" than actual comfort

it's below 30 cents but it's climbing fast and 56% of it is taxes (to subsidise wind and solar).

>Tesla suits my taste much better, it's all tech no shitty bling, looks so fresh and modern.
Did anybody else cringe when they read this?

Californian marketing, it works.

Doesn't take into consideration the giant lithium batery that needs to be shipped across the world from the mines, through several processing facilities, and finally to Tesla's factories

It's one time only.

What about hundreds of tons of fuel that has to be shipped in the lifetime of average car.

Keep in mind that even the process of fuel refining is only 80% or so efficient.

With electric there are no refining and very small distribution losses.

it is much bigger when you consider the fact that a small diesel is more efficient than coal plants and that the diesel will survive much longer than the battery pack, which takes much more energy to produce and recycle.