Does Veeky Forums like RC cars?

Does Veeky Forums like RC cars?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKf7tvi9ps
traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58034-1slash
horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/race-vehicles/on-road-vehicles/subaru-brz-r-amp;d-4wd-sport-2014-rd2-fuji-tt-02-tam58607
a.pomf.cat/xiuncw.webm
a.pomf.cat/trvsgs.webm
hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trooper-sct-4x4-1-10-brushless-short-course-truck-arr.html?___store=en_us
youtube.com/watch?v=b50PosBtBx4
youtube.com/watch?v=teq8VZxnpKs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tt02 + Vaterra Ascender checking in

>Traxxas Rustler VXL reporting in

Just had a Traxxas Jato 3.3 given to me. Haven't drove it yet cause I need fuel

TA apex reporting in

Do they make RC buses?

Me too

I raced a losi XXX buggy when I was a wee lad.

Was fun; would do it again if there was a track around here.

Kyosho Fazer VE-X Lipo here.

Everyone else has HPI or TRAXXAS, but only my shitbox doriftu

Same here except I raced a Team Associated buggy. My friend in the neighborhood had a Losi and I remember all the gay rivalry it spawned lol

Yeti, slash 4x4 and scx10 checking in, unfortunately no longer have the 5th scale stuff

>My friend in the neighborhood had a Losi and I remember all the gay rivalry it spawned lol
Ha, I remember that so well I almost put a TA shitpost into my post but didn't think anyone would get it.

Do people still race these things often?

damn, i thought kyosho went away a while ago, have seen their stuff in years

of course they do

Scene has only gotten bigger. Brushless motors, lithium batteries, MG servos have gotten cheaper, 2.4GHZ radios means no more crystals and no more giant antennas, the works.

Oh fuck yeah I didn't think about that. I fly quads/planes/helis and we only use brushless, but 15 years ago when I did cars we had brushed motors.

How do they regulate the speed of the motors now?
I assume the batteries last the entire race and more now too? We still used NIMH then.
Is off road buggy and truck still a thing?

When I went to the x-games in 2012 and watched rallycross there they had a both demoing nitro and electric ones.

Kinda wanted to get one but I'm glad that I didn't. I still think they're pretty cool, just not something I would rather dump money into.

ESCs are still a thing. I forgot another thing, basher-grade electronics are now waterproof as well. Still don't take the vehicles swimming, but you can go through puddles. A 5000 maH 2S LiPo can last 20-30 minutes with a 13.5 turn 2wd stadium truck around a race track. The biggest change class wise was over half a decade ago with the introduction of the full-fender short course trucks. Kinda cool to be able to bang fenders more than open wheel allows.

both, booth, same thing

brushless has spec, superstock and mod classes in the racing i was doing. eventually the physical limitations of the track and cars stop you from getting an advantage from a faster motor
and yeah batteries last a full race no problem now.
all the classes you remember and more are still in full swing, i think traxxas has helped keep the racing alive on the rookie end by giving kids a fairly cheap and indestructible car to learn with

Spec slash is so much fun. Even a lot of hardcore guys have one. My track was nice enough to have a "stock plastic" rule, we could change some metal parts. Taught the kids suspension tuning with oil weights, spring rates, let us keep the motors alive with different gearing, and we all put the hardened shock shafts in the cars because the stock ones were wet noodles.

>not taking your cars for a refreshing dip in the river

Awesome good to know guys. I just took a new great job in a bigger city I'll see if there is any place to race around there; I'd love to get back into it.

only ICE ones

>only ICE ones

>Be ICE R/C car fag
>get BTFO by brushless motors

Didn't traxxas make a car that could do over 130?

ayy

>2017
>not blowing apex seals on a rc car level
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKf7tvi9ps
Scrubs.
All jokes aside but damn this hobby is pretty pricey for what it is kek

wheres my RC drift nerds at??

tfw bought a sakura d4 like 3 months before the yd2 released :(

Over 100, but I'd argue nitro is still the best choice for bashing. Just add fuel and keep going.

I guess not charging batteries is safer too. I always fret that part a good bit.

I bought this a year ago. First RC car and I fuck with it with my kids. But the suspension has gone really soft. Anyone know how to take this apart and fix that? Upgrades?

Also, anyone know a good lithium battery to use? 10 minute runs are too short.
traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58034-1slash

all the traxxas shit is proprietary like apple, iirc. you can get your hands on a 2s 5000mah lipo and run for awhile on that, probably 30 minutes at full throttle. as for your suspension, you should be able to take them apart and replace the fluid. if not just buy a new set and pop them off of the balls on the chassis and pop the new ones on.

Batteries are totally safe lol. I keep mine in what's basically an ammo box though, protection is the best prevention.
>proprietary
Wot
Just solder a Traxxas plug onto any lipo or your preferred plug onto the ESC.

yeah, the traxxas plug isnt the same as the plug for my yokomo. thats what i meant by proprietary. not a universal plug.

we havent had universal battery plugs since the tamiya plugs went out. it takes like 5 min to swap over to the plugs of choice anyways.

Kyosho RB5 reporting in.

Dude there's like 3 or 4 different plugs around now. I like Traxxas's design because it's good for a lot of current and has those ribs for extra grip.

RWD buggy master race

>had an RC monster truck as a kid
>similar to pic related except black
>looked like Marty's truck from BTTF
>massive, chuncky tires with thick sidewalls, not of those chrome nigger rimz
>could haul ass over everything in low range
>put it in high range and it could keep up with other RC cars on the road easily
>had this brilliant idea of buying another battery and hooking them up in series
>massive truck was faster than Xmod R34 GTRs
>kids crying because their Paul Walker GAWD MUSHEENs got BTFO by a redneck pig rig
>won races left and right, eventually made enough money to buy a PSP
>eventually the controller burnt out

Totally worth it, but damn I'll miss that truck

>xmods
Shit I remember those, I had the RSX and used the 4wd upgrade kit to make it FWD.

i'm new to these but want to start, where is good place to buy a kit? am i a pleb if i go electric? I want to fuck around with one at work i get an hour lunch. I'd like a BRZ RC car if possible, i hear assembling and painting is a bitch. Do most local hobby stores stock this sort of stuff or assemble for you?

Just hit up Toys 'r' Us

brushless electric killed most of the nitro market, don't worry about it

i was worried i'd hear this
i'd like a nitro but is it alot more complicated to maintain or run?

electric is far better for ease of use, I recommend it until you're ready to fiddle with those tiny engines.
not sure how much you know about RC cars, but look into RTR (Ready to Run) cars. also buy a better charger than the one in the box along with a spare battery

I've got a D3 I like to kick around every once in a while. Took it out a couple weeks ago but, unfortunately, something snapped in the diff and now it just understeers. Gonna take a look at it whenever I muster up the willpower to, so probably never.

Have a nice 3000kv reedy in it, with a 207% countsteer ratio on it, sporting some Raikou drift tires up front and some super grippy(yet still slippy) tires in the rear for high speed doriftos.

thanks, thoughts on this machine?
>horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/race-vehicles/on-road-vehicles/subaru-brz-r-amp;d-4wd-sport-2014-rd2-fuji-tt-02-tam58607

some dumbfuck drove his rc car infront of me ( on a road) when i was riding past on my motorcycle
i squashed the fuck out of it, despite making an attempt to miss it

are all of you guys this retarded?

that's a neat little kit, I'm not a huge fan of painting bodies though. If you want a good project this looks like fun to put together, just don't forget to buy the other needed parts

You're so kewl

3rd person perspective makes it hard at times, but that guy is still a retard for not giving right of way to a real road vehicle.

no im honestly curious if this is a thing?
some full grown 30 something neckbeard trying to zip the rc car between trafic

is there a point of this?

i noticed the other parts needed battery remote and shit. what kinds of speeds can i expect from that thing? does it look to be decent quality?

small residential road, only was going 25 or so , and it wasnt like i was coming out of a blind corner or anything , he had it stationary on the side of the road until i was right up on it and it shot out infront of me

To piss you and specifically you off

Not even slightly. There are bad apples in every bunch, and I've encountered my fair share of those that you described. They're not true fans of the hobby. They just happened to have an RC car laying around, or had one given to them(like dronefags in the last few years), and decided to take it out and be the most obnoxious faggot in the world with it, i.e. driving in the fucking street and being a public nuisance.

The hobby ones go fast as fuck and racing is a thing. Stupid of him to jot give way though. Kinda funny to have a mini-me of your car.

i mean, i had no damage at all and his thing was n pieces and he tried to yell at me
glad to know its not everyone, it seems like an interesting hobby but he's the only one ive ever encountered

good brand, speeds will depend on the motor and gearing they chose. check youtube, usually RC guys have reviews for these things with recommended parts to complete it.

Yes, yes they do.

The tto2 is a good starter 4wd car, it's shaft driven so no belt bullshit.

Never had any issues with my tto2 but I do run it on rally tires and even then the ground ground clearance is not great so watch for rocks

>2am weekday
>slash 4x4 in tarmac bash trim, following in car with friends
>90km/h
Rustler hit about 120k~ which fried my old ESC because I forgot about voltage spikes when connecting the nimh cells together into a bigger battery
Can't go wrong with the stock traxxas brushless setup. large size ripsaws (the crawler tyre) will make your truck wheelie on ice btw. looks absolutely monstrous powering through summer terrain and will obviously rape the half shafts/yokes, but those cost fuck all and are literally the only thing breaking on my slash which is great.

You should upgrade to Tekno CVDs if you're lunching halfshafts.

Does anyone know the connector code to the Traxxas lipo batteries? Trying to get a cheaper lipo battery than the traxxas ones, but can't find the connectors for it.

Fuck, I haven't touched these in years.

Mine is the Mercedes, the Subaru is/was my friend's. Had mine a few years before he got his. He never really used it since he had some servo issues. I've had a few high speed crashes.

My tyres are trashed (and one would always come off). Also could use some new parts.

Well, it looks like I pretty much have a parts car and a weekend project. Thanks Veeky Forums!

>get traxxas bandit
>controller shits itself
>new one costs almost as much as just buying a new bandit entirely
>battery lasts 10 minutes on a full charge
>gotta clean all the drivetrain with a toothbrush after each run
>parts are just as expensive as regular car parts
too much fucking effort

have rm 01
would like to have some drone kind of things going on

have control line model aircraft
it runs on nitromethane and keeps trying to catch fire
also have yet to find somewhere large enough to fly it in

I have a mostly finished Piper Cub and an unbuilt Spitfire at my Dad's. Both 1/4 I think. Probably won't ever get them done since they are across the country and haven't been worked on in a decade.

Yes, and I miss it.

Here's two clips I have of it, before it pretty much died.

a.pomf.cat/xiuncw.webm

a.pomf.cat/trvsgs.webm

wombat?

looks fine my dude

There was just a good bit of parts I needed to replace and I didn't want to rebuild both diffs which was the real problem. I might get back into it at some point though.

The shell for the 4x4 is super cheap now.

hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trooper-sct-4x4-1-10-brushless-short-course-truck-arr.html?___store=en_us

I had just moved everything from my SC10 over once it frame had died (plastic garbage of a frame on them).

>used the 4wd upgrade kit to make it FWD
why

Literally just type Traxxas connectors into tower hobbies

RC cars are for bus racing autists

t. bus rider

>it is LITERALLY impossible to like both

>not wanting to own little miniaturized remote control versions of your own car

>Posts someone else's car

Thats my car m8

>here's my toy car

I've always wanted to buy one of these little rockcrawlers but I know it's one of those things I'll use twice and it will collect dust forever. Anyone seen those videos where people do whole camping trips, launch boats, etc.? I can't find links since it's something I just stumbed upon in a weird corner of youtube but I've seen one with a little convoy of overland trucks that set up with tiny rooftop tents and have an entire little campsite. I've also seen a working logging rig with that machine that grabs trees, cuts them to length, and strips them of branches. Germans are weird

youtube.com/watch?v=b50PosBtBx4

have that exact same car. its very good. can it take s3 or s4 lipo

The scale scene is incredible, all the details they put in like that. It's almost all custom-made.

I wish memeshark goggles weren't so fucking pricey. I really want some for my quadrotor

Here we go
youtube.com/watch?v=teq8VZxnpKs

I swear to god if you ask me to timestamp the rc car...

the calgary/lethbridge guys, DJmedic on youtube.

They're the fat ones so they last months unless I'm using the 2.2 ripsaws on pavement which is dumb
It's very important to have specific weak spots. I use a combination of RPM plastic and alloy on traxxas stuff. RPM arms take a long time to sag and help durability. I also stick to the OEM pins for the a-arms. alloy bulkhead is about the most important bashing upgrade ime

I used to race all of the time with my dad when I was in my early-mid Teens. Pic Related was my dad's 1/10th scale "Pan-Car" oval chassis from about a decade ago, right before Li-Pos and Brushless motors came in and changed everything.

In the club we were in, the last race of the year was as close to Halloween as possible and it was encouraged to dress-up in costume and hand out candy for the hell of it.

DO NOT buy pic related
the trail finder 2 is fine although I'd still avoid this company and stick to axial (scx 10 is god tier) because of the cheap ass china metal, but oh boy that fucking defender kit has the front axles that don't turn on a vertical pivot. it just fucking wears out and that's it, dead.

Does your neighbor know you're photographing his car?

I'm more of an aircraft guy. There's something about having something that flies under its own power that never stops being magical, and I can afford to do real car stuff but not fly real planes or helos.

I wouldn't mind doing a cool R/C car at some point, though, and tinkering with them seems like fun.

It's all about the customization. RC hobby made the dremel my favorite tool. Are your flyers 3D?
I've been thinking about getting an entry level tamiya on road car that fits a wide variety of bodies, for doing projects like pic related.

What kinda aircraft do you have? I've got an entire fucking fleet of planes, so much so that I'm honestly strapped for room now.

Losi ass hat reporting

Your drive train weak spot is supposed to be your spur gear and slipper clutch, you shouldn't be killing driveshafts.