opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

first for good games only

What's the best way to make game without an engine.

Index cards

add a whiteboard and this

Depends on what you want. E.g. if you're making a 2D game and you just want the control without worrying too much about performance, you might try C# and MonoGame, but that won't be a good option for a 3D game that needs to be quite optimized.

What would be the fucking point of going in raw if not for performance.

Freedom.

How do I design a good game world?

fun

Godot is free.
There's literally absolutely zero reasons why you would ever not use an engine if not for performance.

>pop huge zit on my neck
>it flies across the room and hits the wall
Woah

Freedom to program your game exactly how you want. With Godot you are still working within a framework.

Godot is open source and you are free to edit it as you see fit.

My ass hurts.

binding of isaac shit

fun and learning

>non-enginedevs don't even know what a pointer is
>non-enginedevs have to buy books to learn how to use blueprints
>non-enginedevs don't even know how to do basic algebra

Why use Godot, then, over more basic libraries? Why spend time reverse engineering and modifying it when it doesn't really do anything special to begin with that you might want to keep?

I know what a pointer is and choose not to bother with that bullshit

Because it's a fully featured engine and that saves a lot of time if just like want to make game.

>A non-enginedev thinks printing "Hello World!" is enginedevving
>A non-enginedev can't even do a simple fizzbuzz without having to look for help
>A non-enginedev needs a tutorial on how to type

brand spanking new progress

looks like a playstation portable game

why the hell would anybody enginedev when there are so many engines to use?

When you're enginedevving you only have to implement the features you need. Modifying someone else's massive yet run of the mill engine so that I can have more freedom when programming my own features is not appealing to me.

Godot is good if you want a FOSS game engine with WYSIWYG editors that you can start using right away. There's no unique features that make it worth gutting and using as a library.

>An enginedev thinks making a fizzbuzz is making a game

see

So this works, finally.
Time to make some stupidly disorientating levels I guess.

OVEN
NOW

It's fun and rewarding. You avoid dependence on proprietary or inscrutable 3rd party code. You get to program the way you want and not the way some engine dictates. You can optimize for your particular use cases instead of building off a generic, bloated black box.

yeah but where is your game?

Where's your game?

pretty good
not sure about the control scheme but you look like you know what youre doing

I hate when things aren't done my way. The only way to guarantee things will be done my way is to enginedev

Samefag

Samefag

Artist looking for a programmer.

>enginedev
>fun

I don't understand this level of autism, but I can respect it. Am I welcome here with some ue4 pleb shit?

not an argument
where
is
your
game

this is agdg, not aedg

engines != games

fuck right off

what engine?

What are you talking about? Take off your tinfoil

I use photoshop.

I made this game in an hour, all in SFML.
Fight me.

Gas non-enginedevs.

>literally just copies every other post in a reply chain
THAT'S NOT WHAT SAMEFAGGING MEANS

Never in the history of AGDG has an enginedev with progress been unwelcoming to an engine user.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you start to acclimatize you can basically just ricochet through levels.

How do I get good at drawing

I commend your tabs and tracked threads effort.

breddy gud bait, man, I'll have to remember this one

some people enjoy programming

Enginecucks are mere customers, cattle.

Me? I am an enginedev, an artisan.

accessorize

I've messed around in unity a decent bit and I'm decent with scripting, but I've never been able to do art to save my life. It's always put kind of a damper on my projects. I wish we could join forces, but I'm probably not the guy you want to work with. No completed projects, and kind of a busy schedule.
tfw not a game dev, just a lurker wannabe. Who else here knows this feel?

I get it. But cs is greek to me. I wish I understood it, but at this point in my life I feel like I should accept that I never will. I'm trying to learn. I paid $15 for that Ben Tristem udemy shit for c++ .....butt fuck, it's confusing

Laser point cat game? Cool

nice hell shader

IDEA: A basic retro FPS like doom, but with procedural dungeons, like a roguelite.

do you still have that catterpillar webm?

google "tower of guns"

Decent idea as long as you don't skimp on the level generation and essentially end up with procedural SnapMap.

X but with Y elements will never be good, fuck off

how long have you been posting? i haven't seen this before.

Progress: If you're bad, you can now get punched in the face.

not really, I was thinking more like nethack + DOOM.

that game seems more like touhou + Quake

Are you going to give them Supers like a headbutt or horse kick based on a bar they have to fill up?

3d lewd monstergirl zelda + harvest moon

monster girls suck because they're too girl and not enough monster desu

Nevermind then haha.

the game will have both

I really want to play this game where/when will you release it?

AGDG is cancelled.

I really need to put more effort into little background details to make the world feel alive. I've been too lazy with it.

Stupid question but I've got this array being initialized in a singleton in Unity and I have it being saved with a BinaryFormatter but I can't seem to figure out how to prevent the it from being overwritten every time the game closes.

Everything else loads when I run my load function except that array because it gets overwritten.

You mean for the enemy, or for the player?

The planned supers for the player are going to be a back-spinning high kick for the high special and maybe some kind of strong hook or something for the low special. I haven't thought about what I want the low special to be as much. Specials are governed by a meter, which fills up as you punch things and depletes when you are struck or whiff a super.

Thanks for the idea :)

It's been a while sincec I last saw the "there were no memory leaks!" message but I finally did it!

I saw your game like 2 years ago. I thought you died!

>singleton

Boobie!

Enemy. Could have 'boss' themed supers like ones with huge horns could have a headbutt, etc

BOOBIE.

How come I never see games with pixel art as good as what I find on Tumblr?

You mean like a one off piece?

BOOOOOOOBIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Every enemy fighter is going to have its own unique attacks with specific triggers. For the enemy I'm making there, their special is going to be a series of like 10 or so rapid jabs or rapid hooks launched at the player's face/body, with the intent being that the player will not be able to succeed in the fight until they learn that holding up blocks incoming high attacks and not pressing anything blocks low attacks.

it took someone two years to make that

wew, whenever I feel like i'm being slow on progress I'll just remember the guy that spend two years on repeting 3 or 4 untextured low-poly blocks and some MSpaint sprites

it does look cool, though

Yeah, there are some blogs that post some top-tier art which looks way better than what games come up with, I understand that making a game is much harder than one drawing but not even the backgrounds or marketing art look nearly as cool.

> why don't 3d games look just as good as movie cgi

because that one person spent about 12-24 hours on that and for a game you have to create everything to around the same level of quality

So I used metal slug sprites and double dragon backgrounds to test out how my game would play like and I'm actually really liking how it looks like right now.

It's tempting me to abandon everything and make a metal slug x double dragon crossover.

He wasn't showing much of the game off.

Why would they put that much effort into marketing art? You either nee talent or money to get good pixel art and a lot of indie devs have neither.

>guns in a beat em up
what would it even play like
what would the enemies do

Also, he is a certified yesdev and already has a game on steam

>what would the enemies do
Probably fire back?

beat you up

It's been about 16 months, plus I've got two half-finished side projects that I've been alternating between.

That scene was 3 days of work.

Hit you a lot

>add a double-tap run
>game becomes way to fuckin fast