Turbo mk3

I have seen 8 of these turbo mk3 supras in my area for 3k - 6k.
Are they fairly fast and are they good cars?
Just got a bonus check and I am wanting something older.

Other urls found in this thread:

madison.craigslist.org/cto/6100303231.html
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/6101806940.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

those are 16bit sexy as fuck

madison.craigslist.org/cto/6100303231.html

1991 RSD OHMY

chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/6101806940.html

Hey, I know that car.

They break a lot. Especially for that price.

$24k

>mfw my retarded ass sold mine for $700 when I was 19. Motor was blown
Granted I paid $500 for it I still regret selling it so much

ThisThey're stoopid heavy shit cars with shit engines. They're not fast, not even "fairly" fast and if you up the boost you'll be changing head gaskets at every fillup. If you leave it stock you'll change head gaskets every 20K. Only memed out newfags think this crap is cool. You can do way better for 6K.

This guy has no idea what he's talking a about.
Go to Supra forums to learn about supras.. not this autist web page.

That's good advice in general for this board. We're a general car board. If you want specific knowledge, forums about specific models are almost always more useful.

Unless you stumble upon a turbo autist who happens to be knowledgeable on the subject and only posts on Veeky Forums.

>Unless you stumble upon a turbo autist who happens to be knowledgeable on the subject and only posts on Veeky Forums.

but unfortunately they usually spout shit like
>headgasket at every fillup
so they are disregarded as they should be

faggot

That faggot was unnecessary.

faggot

>not taking faggot as a term of endearment here

Faggot

>not giving your friend the hate succ and swallowing their brotein

faggotini

this fag gets it

>tfw you have ugly friends with body hairs like a kid
is there no hot bears anywhere?

OP, I own a mk3 supra. If you can find one in good condition (i.e. engine running, not burning oil, interior is in good shape, paint in good shape) then it's a decent purchase for the 3-6k you were talking about. However, if it's not turbo, forget about it.

What that guy said isn't far off. They are very heavy cars and without modifications they can't keep up with a lot of modern cars. iirc the supra had about 230 hp which is a decent amount but with the weight it's not a whole lot. Though it's a low revving engine with a lot of torque so it's still a fun ride.
Still, if you just want a cool car to ride around in and you're not gonna be doing highway pulls then I wouldn't worry about it.

These cars 7M engines' head gaskets weren't torqued to the correct spec in the factory. As such, it's not a matter of if, more a matter of when the head gasket will fail. This is somewhat easily remedied though. You just have to replace the head gasket and get new head bolts and torque them correctly. Then your car should be good to go.

The main issue with this car besides that though is the same as any old car. When things break, and they probably will, finding replacements can be difficult. Sometimes you have to get creative.

It's a great car to own though, fun to drive, looks great and it will teach you a lot about cars by kind of forcing you to learn. I don't regret buying mine. Hopefully this helps your decision a bit.

>forget about it
>very heavy
>without modifications they can't keep up
>it's not a whole lot

>great car
>fun to drive

what did he meme by this

I'm a master engine machinist/builder and I only post on Veeky Forums.

>forget about it
if it's not a turbo version, dont buy it

>very heavy
yes, they are heavy

>without modifications they can't keep up
Yep, they are relatively slow stock

>it's not a whole lot
230hp is good but since the car is so heavy, relatively speaking it's not enough to make it a "fast car".

>great car
Ok, this is more subjective

>fun to drive
Depends on what you prioritize with your car. If you only care about speed, which is fine, this car isn't fun. But if you just enjoy cruising around comfortably or being thrown back in your seat from a launch with a lot of torque, this car can be considered fun.

Read the fucking sticky. We've covered the MK3 to death many times over

TL;DR it isn't a poor man's MK4 it's a pigfat grand tourer that eats headgaskets

Don't buy a MA70. Buy a JDM JZA70. It will be in better condition than the abused USA cars for the same price, and it will come with a 1JZ-GTE that you can easily boost up to 400+ HP.

>for the same price
Even after import costs?

>he gets btfo by his sister

No

Then it's not the same price.

wot

So basically unless OP wants to snowflake and hang out with the MkIV rich kids saying "Hayy guise i got a supra toooo" its not really a great idea

For the prescribed amount of work he could have something cooler/quicker/better looking but i suppose if he really has a Toyotaboner and all the 86s are drifttaxed out of his means I suppose its not the worst option

>You can do way better for 6K.
>he could have something cooler/quicker/better looking
Like what? I'm interested in the same car too, but I'm trying to keep my options open.

>cooler
basically anything older or rarer

also cooler is subjective to your taste

someone may consider an ultra clean EF hatch cooler than a ultra clean Mk3, depends on what you like out of a car and what bodystyles do it for you
FC RX7 comes to mind

>quicker
honestly this one isn't hard basically any shitass v8 pony car (turd gen camaro, foxbody, SN95, even a relatively salvagable new edge)
cheap civic with a b series if you have the gumption to swap it
>better looking

really not hard, the Mk3 was kind of the awkward adolescence of the celica super series

Tbh, if i needed to scratch a Toyota itch, i would go SW20 with a 3sGTE swap or a 6gen celica and have faster and arguably cooler while still having the same brand

I want my japscrap light quick and agile

Could get a krautmobile or a yankee schooner if i wanted a large cruiser