Classic Car General /ccg/

Landyacht Edition

>Bitch
>Complain
>Argue
>Cry
>Etc.

Finally got around to cleaning up my engine a bit. Here's about a year's difference.

your engine is gay.

MCDONALDS FOREVER.

That air cleaner sucks.

I thought i was done for, i thought the car behind me was a cop because i was being loud at 2 in the morning etc. so i booked it.
All i can say is Corvairs smash the backroads like they own them.

>that retarded triangular metal strainer as air cleaner again
This fucking meme needs to stop

I had originally planned on using a Ford Motorsport air cleaner that went with the valve covers, but it wouldn't fit with the HEI distributor. I'm fairly happy with the shitty meme air cleaner.

A second gen, right?

what are those "T" looking things that are sticking out from the valve cover?

>tfw will never own an AMC Eagle SX/4
probably the only crossover i will ever like

M8 corvairs are some of the best handling cars out there. I love them, I'll post a picture of the collection when I get home.
I hope you will appreciate the awesomeness of turbo corvairs.
Post pics of Nader's nightmare for me.

Valve cover wingnut bolts. You can get them on summit or at the auto parts store for pretty cheap.

Today is the day that I fail yet again to get the ferd started

Sup guys

did you put a model a on a 4x4 frame?

Bronco Is all I know. I'd have to ask more details from my old man.

literally y tho

Literally y not

can't argue with you there.

First
Sadly no turbo

first gen looks better than second gen. Just keep an extra fan belt when you eventually throw the current one.

Fuck that i've got like 3 belts in there.

Wasn't the first gen the "UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED" one?

So building this car has made me broke what do

I think this is the end of my poor 403. I got stuck in bad traffic that was slow moving and I thought I could make it to an exit. The temp guage kept rising, I kept smelling a hint of tranny fluid and woosh smoke everywhere. I've got an aftermarket tranny cooler and the lines are spliced but I can't figure out where the line broke. Also now the oil pressure is all over the place but is at 40 while at highway speeds and there are small bit of shiny stuff on the dipstick.

They tested a 62 and janked up the results to make gm look bad and get Nader some publicity. In 72 the new highway safety administration decided to test it again and found that it was safer than any other similarly designed car of the time.
Tl;dr Nader btfo

400 swap time?

That or an olds big block. I honestly don't have the funds at the moment and it's my daily driver so It's probably gonna get an oil change and babied until the motor completely dies.

also I bit curious how much it would cost to rebuild one. Plus I'd love to learn how to rebuild an engine anyway.

Aquire a better paying job

400 Pontiacs are cheap in Michigan because people have them lying around everywhere.
My suggestion is to go to the mitt and pick yourself up a 400 or a 455

How will I get there with no car

>Wasn't the first gen the "UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED" one?
Yes, Hagerty tried to flip one and failed so Ralph Nader must have been smoking PCP or something.
I've almost had mine spin out on me once but it's never been to the point where i felt like it would lose control, as long as you can spin the wheel fast enough.

Block's fine, it might have ate a bearing.
i reckon every classic car engine has overheated at least once in its life.

As for the line, blow pressurized air through the cooler and it may start spitting at the break,

it was ahead of it's time

Thanks, I'll try it. but I'm pretty sure it was a loose hose clamp because after I got it home it hasn't leaked since after I tightened it. I also added a little more oil to it and the pressure has improved some. plus I haven't been seeing any more metal flakes on the dipstick since I drove it home. But there is a fairly loud tick coming from the passenger side and I can't tell if it's lifter or exhaust but for sure I have a slight header leak but it's never been this loud at such a low rpm.

So I got the pillar spotlight for my international, and the rear scene lights. I'm going to wire the scene lights to the toggle switch for my reverse lights, and the spotlight will go on the driver's side pillar.

I thought about mounting the scene lights to the cab, but I'd hate to drill it, so I'm thinking a headache rack is in order.

did you do what I and others suggested and run the starter directly to the battery for a second or two?

i want to get a cheap,comfy and good looking old car,i love the 90s so something from that period would be nice,any recommendations?
ALSO,i have a bike,riding it is a lot of fun,but i dont see cars having a lot of fun,its seems like a hassle to drive a car,especially with shit traffic,i want to ride a car to be comfy with some nice music and shit,is riding a car any fun in a day to day basis?

Same thing happened to my 390, sounds exactly like one of your main bearings gave up. Your oil pressure being all over the place is a good indicator of that.

That being said I got a good 5,000 extra miles out of my 390 before a connecting rod bearing decided to spin. If you don't want to pull the engine immediately then run thicker oil to help take up the clearances.

bump? you fucking faggots

Why 90's?
The appeal of classic cars for some of us is specifically from the 60's to the 80's. These cars are a visceral experience, when you put your foot down you can feel the car shake from the engine, you can hear exactly how it's running and it's as if the car is responding to you directly. I know that sounds kind of cringey but that's what's in it for me instead of all these "features" to hide the fact that a modern car has an engine. I don't think 90's cars would do that for me.

Regardless if i had to choose something i'd get a first gen DSM Talon with the 2 liter turbo.
Good luck finding one that isn't rice raped though.

I don't where you're from but i got an audi 100/5000 and it is..well stuff is broken but it was cheap. paid a 1000 eur for it and god its comfy.

stupid question ahead

arent some of the early 90s cars classic now.

hell where i live im allowed to register my 1990 as a classic vehicle

>arent some of the early 90s cars classic now.
Yeah legally 92's and older are classics in most states.
I know more than one person who uses those plates just to get out of yearly inspections/emissions

Update, A rocker was a bit loose. I did exactly that and the pressure is pretty stable now even when warm and the ticking has gone away. Hopefully I'll get some more funds before she dies because this sounds like a temporary fix. At any rate, does anyone have any info on easy engine swaps for a 403 trans am?

My E30 has classic auto plates.

Or, plate. They only sent me one plate for some reason. Even though it's got a front plate bracket. Not gonna question it until I get pulled over.
>but officer, they only sent me one plate

Holy shit, it's so awful, I love it

MY FUCKING FORD RUNS

thank you based god.

Turns out it was the ground bolt was rusted, the ground cable was fucked and the mating surface on the block was also rusted to fuck

Would you reccommend one? There are tons in my area relatively cheap

>tfw dreams at night of blasting Eurobeat down the parkway making choo choo noises
DISCO DANCE IS OUR STORY
PEOPLE GET TOGETHER TO HAVE FUN

I dream of doing burnouts and blasting migos.

It's an abstract feel

You only need one on a classic car. Same situation down here in Texas.

But if you buy plates from the same year as your car, you can have them registered for your car.

A 64 Spyder if you can find one.

give me your area craigslist and i'll check, anything over 4k is a ripoff fyi

echhh

>niggershit

A few pics I took, sry for dirty garage

Turbo 64 best 64

My Cutless and my brothers new project 73 formula

MFW breaks go bad

The Spyder with the 65

The cortruck, Rampside

70 gto, yet to be started

65 GTO, in progress

78 trans am still in progress with a another complete 70 gto wrapped up.
Couldn't take a picture of the 71 422 because it's still in storage.

Well that's my promised dump of relevant cars.
Lots of corvair and Pontiac love

Which distributor are y'all running

That's what people have been telling you, you colossal faggot

I've known it was a bad ground for two weeks you poofta. I'm just glad the fix worked.

KIT KAT FOR FUCK SAKES, JUST FUCK

I'M THE GUY WHO TOLD YOU WEEKS AGO TO HOOK IT DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY AND THEN TO CHECK UR GOD DAMN GROUND

U FUCKIN WANKER

I figured out the same thing by hoping power directly to a functioning starter and having nothing happen.

You're right though senpai

Don't tighten hose clamps too much. You'll cut into the hose.

ebay HEI special.

>HEI
>not points master race

There's literally no reason for me not to go hei if I'm holding a motor

Building a motor

Nigga it took you months to figure out why your truck didn't start and that was WITH people spoon feeding you. The idea that you'll ever build a motor that even runs is laughable

I'm better with engines and carbs than I am with electrical. I also only worked on my truck once every two weeks because gainful employment killed all motivation.

How about that you're too retarded to build a jigsaw puzzle, let alone an engine?

Your reaching there. I recommend a more subtle approach like, "what makes you think you can build a motor when you couldn't even handle a crush washer."

Your approach is just a blatant lack of effort

The only blatant lack of effort is your pitiful attempts at diagnosing a basic bitch electrical issue.

I know nothing of electricity

Saw my engine today. It's pretty and nearly ready, car could be back on the road by Friday
t. Massive Dolomite build man

Durr, my battery isn't connected. A multimeter would tell anyone who wasn't a burnt out druggie this in less than 30 seconds. Neck yourself.

The battery was connected ya dingus, the ground cable by the block that is covered by an alternator was almost as fukt as your mum

Hi :) t/a kun with a 403 boat anchor reporting for duty

Man that cockpit is sweet.

Thanks fa m

Man, I got a turbo and and 3 speed trans sitting in my moms shed. She told me to make a project out of doing something with it this summer. I have no fucking room though.

beep beep

>battery connected
>ground wasn't really connected
What did he mean by this?

The battery was connected. The circuit was not fully functional.

Just approved the artwork so I can get my door graphics for my 89 Caprice 9C1. (Pic semi related, not my car)

>not having a ground bus

You know nothing about cars.

Well considering I've gotten this thing running from dead three times, I know a thing or two about this truck :^)

You or your mechanic. You're as bad as that faggot who posts his dad's shitty chevy.

I don't have a mechanic. The only institution who's worked on my car is big o tires when they put new tires on it and the dude I paid 150 dollars to put the heater core in.