Do you work on your own car?

Do you work on your own car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XFtSkCx9qb0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends.

Yeapers. All the usual maintenance and general repair stuff. Complete upper end rebuilds on a Saturn I4, Oldsmobile 3.8L 90° V6. Multiple complete rebuilds on Chevrolet 2.8L 60° V6. Been driving nicer stuff lately, only real grease work in the last few years was doing pads and rotors (and god forsaking drum-in-rotor parking brakes) on a Lexus RX300 about a month ago.

I do literally everything to my car, except paint, and that's only because I don't have the space/tools to do so.

I'm one is those dudes who thinks you're not a real car guy if you don't work on your car.

Yes but luckily it's a Japanese shitbox so I don't work on it too often.

I want to learn how

I guess I should start with oil and fluid changes right?

Yes, the only thing I haven't done on my current car is the headgasket and timing belt. Both need done, and I'm sure I can do it. I just hate that it's a collision engine and it scares me off from doing it.

I'd rather spend a weekend in my garage then 1300+ dollars anyday.

most people here don't because they're neets and only certified mechanics work on city buses

I take things apart, clean them and put them back together
if something doesnt look right I ask about it in a swaziland ceiling fan discussion board

What engine?

2.0 Zetec Zeta, The VCT is the main reason I don't want to do it. I've done a head gasket before and several timing belts, but on non interference engines.

Usually, unless it's something too crazy that I don't have money for and I have to save for. The HOA is draconian as fuck, no vehicles on stands period, which means I can't just leave my car on stands. Plus, my garage is already occupied since I'm still at home (t. Senior).

Pic related, my latest fuck up trying to get hektik. Control arm was fucked up, and I didn't have any money/time to pay for a new one. Tow truck came a few days ago to haul it off to the family mechanic, mom's gonna pay for it and I'm going to pay it off.

Control arms are cheap though.

Hell yeah! I would work on it more if I had the space and extra time.. soon, soon.

it dosn,t take a rocket scientist to fix a car...

I'm poor as fuck though. I don't have a job and I earn absolute chump change for work around the house ($1 or $2 usually). I mean I'd love to get a job but unfortunately no one is hiring in my neck of the woods. That or my resume is shit.

Post your resume, delete your name etc

Head Gaskets, Head rebuilds, bottom end rebuilds, assembly, suspension, brakes, electrical etc. Aslong as it isnt body work or welding (which im working on atm). I got a friend who has HVLP equip so i just send bodywork or paint stuff his way.

Depends how much of a PITA the job will be and how much time I have to do it. Transverse V6 so head gaskets are a shop job but almost everything else I do.

I would if I had a car.

>captcha: select all buses

Hardly ever work on cars but I have a pretty decent machine shop with a hoist and auto tools that I let my friends use on the weekends.
>My poor friends give me money without me asking
>rich friends are cheap fucks that spend stupid money on aftermarket parts and don"t even bring me a six pack

I used to tinker with my matrix all the time.
Usually trying to locate the source of THAT FUCKING RATTLE.
Now I have a new car and I don't need to mess with it.
Sometimes I miss that rattle...

I try to.
I do oil changes, and I try to fix shit on my bike, but I lack knowledge, time, patience, skill, and tools to do much.

>The HOA is draconian as fuck
SO WHY DO YOU LIVE THERE? Why put up with unelected little fascists?

I do what I can on my car. I can't really change fluids because I live in an apartment. I do, however, do my own electrical work.

I'm learning to. Car at the moment has a massive fucking oil leak that I'm trying to find the source of.
It's looking like it's near the timing belt though which gets very difficult very quickly.

I've got basic tools but the only flat piece of concrete at my place is a single car garage. With my shitbox inside it has about a half metre clearance on each side, so it makes it really difficult to work on.

I do but i dont really enjoy it. I mean, im fully capable and between housemate and i we have a good amount of tools, but i hate working on them. The only reason i do is because i cant find a good trusted mechanic.

Yea and I got a question. IF I have P0420 and P0430 in my car, and it idles rough, could that be a faulty fuel injector fucking up the catalytic converter

(no other codes, car is a 2006 Cadillac CTS)

Thanks in advance, anons

I'm a Mercedes Technician...

... I usually give it to the garage down the street to work on.

I've got shit to do, I don't have time to work on my own car... and in the time it takes for them to finish with my car, I've already made enough to cover the cost.

I do all the work I can. I just did my brakes and rotors recently.

I have no choice man. I'm a senior that's broke as fuck. Life sucks being a poorfag.

I'm poor so i can't afford repairs, so if it's possible just watching some YouTube videos i do it myself, sometimes i fuck up, like the fuel pump that i replaced some time ago, now it fails to pump properly when the fuel levels are low, don't know what is wrong, maybe it isn't reaching the bottom of the tank, someday I open it again and try to see what is going on

If I can avoid paying the $75 hourly rate, I totally will. My sway bar bushing were bad, caused a ton of noise while driving, and only costed 10$ to replace.

I get my oil changed when the oil icon pops up

Depends.

I have a mom & pop type mechanic shop near me that I trust to change my oil and do simple things like brakes. I make sure they use quality oil/filter and parts. This is mainly because I own my own small business myself (IT Shit) and don't have the time to burn anymore doing things like that. Then you have to worry about disposing of the oil and other stuff.

If it's a major item, like clutch/flywheel, suspension, etc. I will definitely set aside the time in the future and do it myself. I have a 3 car garage and all the tools to do it.

Yeah, I like it a lot, I've had this AE101 for a bit over a month, so far I did :

Timing belt and V belts
sparkplugs and airfilter
engine oil change
Steering fluid change
Transmission fluid change
some minor doors and body panel adjustments
ISC valve cleanup (which didn't solve the slightly erratic IDLE, I'll have to do a 12V test, I forgot last time)

It's low mileage (80000km), but the latest service history is a bit vague, so I want to get a fresh start on every usual service item.

It was the same with my last car, a 2004 Mazda 3, the only time I needed help from a garage was to install new front wheel bearings, as I don't have an hydraulic press.

There's a bit of pride involved honestly, but it's also a nice feeling to know your car in depth, after you've worked on most of the cars components, driving it feels much more rewarding, you know it's alive and well because of you, and only you.

I've paid machine shops before to build my engine. They have the right tools and have built 1000's of engines. Peace of mind is worth it to me.

I am able to do just about everything else myself, except bodywork/paint.

My brother is a mechanic at mercedes.
I helped him to replace front window on my peugeot 106.
He repairs cars in private outside of work. That bastard earns like additional 100$ a hour that way. Still cheaper for his costumers than going to the garage directly.
He gets parts for up to 75% cheaper.
His boss even lets him do illegal work at the garage. Has all tools and machines he needs to do for the dirty work.

>tfw I only realized now that rich. Bought a house for almost 1 million and bought our father a glc for 50k as a birthday present and is about to buy new car for himself.

I clearly learned the wrong job.

I just put a silicon vacuum hose kit into my E30. No more vacuum leak. feelsgoodman.jpg

It's small but I'm proud of myself for that. Also makes the engine bay not look so damn tired.

>Senior
It's too early for summer..

If I can, I like to but some things I know I don't have the tools for so I don't do it.

So buy the tools you need

I got my first car about a year ago and one of the pistons on my engine broke while on the freeway one day. After an inspection, the mechanic told me the lack of oil and care fucked it up. I found another engine but other than that I really don't know where to go.

>for work around the house

please tell me you aren't being paid to do housework by your parents

Engine hoist, a bunch of tools, plenty of room and a bunch of free time.

Oh, and a workshop/service manual for your car.

>workshop/service manual
I think everyone who buys a used car should get one of these and a scan tool. They'll help you fix 90 percent of your car problems and save you a ton of money in the process.

Should I replace the serpentine belt on my R18 civic on my own or just go to the mechanic?
I've never worked on a car before

I do, the only really good Saab tech in my area has a 3 week waiting list. Plus I'm pretty cheap and hate parting with a sheckel

How do you find one of these to buy? Like what would I search online to see ones for sale?

> Scan tool
> Buying a car with OBD

hoist or the bmw?

The garage...or is this actually your garage in your house and im retarded.

I meant if I was looking for a standalone garage to buy where I could work on project cars what would i search?

its an industrial unit in a complex of other industrial units, this is just the the section behind the roller door

i try to when i can, but there's only so much you can do yourself on a cheap Sebring until it's not even worth the time and pain

Cleaned up the engine bay today, not all done yet but made good progress

Also the wheels
>again, not perfect but good improvement

Zetec isn't an interference engine. Or are you yuropoor?

Not sure about civics but serpentine belts in general are pretty simple to replace. Check out some youtube videos, make sure you have the right part and go ahead!

youtube.com/watch?v=XFtSkCx9qb0
This should get you started.

My dad thinks I'll fuck something up so not usually

Also the fucking code enforcers always seem to cruise by whenever I'm changing my oil. BS that you can't work on your own stuff, fuck em

What country?

I mean i try, this happened when i tried to change the front right quick strut on my rusty shitbox. Took a full day of fucking around, drill bit after/extractors. Finally just said fuck it, drilled it out completely and tapped in some new threads but still the same size as the old bolt. Had to take the whole side apart though and put it back together. Still pretty mechanically retarded.

Changed the sparkplugs, oil and transmission fluid previously. Still too scared to try and do the other side in fear of snapping the bolt again, but this time i will heat it up and use an impact instead of a breaker bar plus lots of pen oil. My front swaybar links shit the bed too, need to do those. The bolt and thread are welded on with rust so i am going to have to cut them out.

I service it myself.
Last thing I did was replace the thermostat.

Insurance quoted it as worth $1000 so I decided I'd just do whatever I wanted to it.

Used to be my mum's and she took awful care of it. "I need to put oil in it?" So it has some pretty bad heat problems, oil fouling in one of the cylinders, drops all the oil if it gets too hot but doesn't lose a drop around town. But still, It's never failed to start.

>drops all the oil if it gets too hot
wow are you me? tfw subaru legacy that had blown gaskets for years, replaced them but the block is so fucked it'll consume all 4L of oil in a single touge run but will last 10,000km without losing a drop if I just do town and highway driving.

If there's one, get the maintenance manual for your car, for BMW I know there's a bunch of Bentley manuals that cover nigh everything.

Check ebay for a shop manual for your car.

Yup.

I really want to learn how. I have no experience whatsover but I do have access to a '91 integra. It needs a new radiator and brakes but it hasnt run in 5+ years so Im sure theres other things that will need fixed. Also would probably need a new clutch once I destroy it learning to drive stick.
would this be a good car to learn to wrench on?

I'd think so. Plus, Eric The Car Guy has like eight years worth of Acura/Honda repair videos

What is that user? An MX-6?

Still need a bit more training

what car?

Yes.

>Parts manufacturers HATE him!

control arms are cheap if you do it yourself and expensive as fuck if you pay someone else to change one.

>drilled rotors

sometimes but i hate every second.
then i take or tow it to shop and they hate me. because i dont have simple repairs

Bentleys are the shit, but failing having one of those see if you can snag a factory service manual.

Chiltons and equivalent are ok, but tend to be obtuse, and are at best a general guide, and sometimes leave out key instructions, like the fact you might have to rotate said part to get it in the hole its going into.

1994 Isuzu Mu.
Spent a year in Australia, bought for $2100.

> Pilot bearing seized, no neutral.
> Towed to only local shop, had nowhere to fix it at the time.
> Had to seperate the engine and trans with a porta-power
> Put new clutch kit in, re-installed trans
> Filled trans up with wrong fluid
> 80/90 gear oil, instead of ATF
> Drove for 3 days like that, transmission overheat
> Brought back to shop. Would not warranty.
> Bought tools, junkyard trans for less than $300
> Trans swap in campground. 6 hours by myself.
> Left cooked trans leaking oil in front of shop with a sign reading Fuck You, Cunts

Pic related, the seized pilot bearing that started the mess.

>lives at moms house
>no job/no income
>still in HS (Summer already?)
>crashed his car attempting to drift

Your mom should make you ride the bus instead of paying for your mistake. How much GBP did that cost ya?
>WEW LAD

They're OEM. Drilled rotors are perfectly fine for daily driving.

I do pretty much everything. I have a decent set of tools at home, and use the lifts and other equipment at the shop where I used to work when necessary. (I left on good terms and the owner and I are still friends.)

The only thing I don't do is oil changes. I don't have a safe place to work under the car at home and my friend's shop is often packed solid for weeks, so I just let my family mechanic do my oil changes. He's cheap, uses good oil/filters, and it avoids the hassle of disposing of old oil anyway.

>My poor friends give me money without me asking
>rich friends are cheap fucks that spend stupid money on aftermarket parts and don"t even bring me a six pack
this is so true

Yes whenever I can it's definitely a break things and learn experience I try to do my own stuff though.

'94 323
Like pic related

Thats fucking rad man

That a g35 coupe?

Warranty has been up as long as I've been alive. Parts are cheap. and it's simple murican engineering. You'd have to be a layman fuckhead not to, under those circumstances.

>queensland plate
where is ur shop

09 G37S Coupe
VQ37VHR has twin intakes

Oh nice! Those just get my dick hard :^)

Arguably one of the best V6 engines made in the past 30 years. They make my dick equally diamond.

Yeah, and other peoples when they ask real nice.

That torque versus a vq35 Hnnngggg

The week before my sedan became kill, it was putting down 310whp/270wtq with the same intake, test pipes, and semi-custom exhaust.

These engines love breathing mods.

And EcuTek 93 octane tune*

Didn't even know they came with V6, nice find man.

I got an 01 Astina

>QLD bros
Veeky Forums qld meet at anons shop when?

I'll bring the piss

RIP.

Intake/Berk HFC/Semi-custom on that red one. GT-R with no turbo spool am i rite