Aesthetic Cars

Why are modern cars no longer aesthetic? Looking at all these old pics makes me feel sad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6118222294.html
columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6098259311.html
dayton.craigslist.org/cto/6111222542.html
youtu.be/DrxJCOVsV1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's weird hey?

When I'm driving I find myself looking in detail at all the passing cars

I evaluate which generations have aged horribly or well and which still look good (80s-90s) jap cars that are in decent shape , or which look damn atrocious (2000s ford with the stupid rounded tail lights, nearly all BMW in any shape or form)

I don't know if in a few years things will
Shift or not? I hope we are at the denouement of every manufacturer
determined to make driverless Elon musk futureisic wannabe HyperCars

I for one won't go driverless

FUCK that

Driverless passenger mobiles is gay as FUCK
It makes more sense to make more and better public transit

Having people all go in personal superpods designed by Elon musk is fckin crazy desu famalam

If pppl take buses or trains they will filter out and spread as they walk or travel in some way to their destination

U must always drive ur car

Don't let the skynet botnet do it for u
Next black mirror is about driverless AI going rogue

I will soon buy an 86. I will keep it forever.

Designed in board rooms and focus tested by normie retards.

More interesting questions
Why is men enjoy striking colors, hard, strong edged silhouette, pronounced lines, guttural vroom vroom or alternatively optional tssssu , and moving very quickly?

While (speaking generally plsnokill) women care about safety, "wake me up tan" / "I don't care grey" with soft curves and quiet rides

Cars have been designed this way for 40 years.
You don't know what 'aesthetic' means.

well then i guess this thread is pointless because most cars look like shit and always have

Damn this nigga right.

I hate cars

It is. OP is retarded.

Yes I do, but something changed. I just can't place my finger on it. Cars are no longer picture worthy. There is a picture of me standing next to my dad's prelude in the 90s. I drive a Civic Si now, I've never felt the the urge to have a picture taken while I'm standing next to it. It's just not as cool nor are cars as valued today as they once were.

You don't like the way modern cars look. It literally stops at that. I'm the same way though, so don't feel bad.

Here's my daily.

Modern cars are aesthetic. Even moreso than the bland boxes of the 80s.

It's alright if you don't like the aesthetic. Perhaps your hipster brain just wont allow you to like it until 20 years have passed, but they do have an aesthetic.

I do funny enough. I absolutely love the design of the new Civic, especially the hatchback version. But again, it's just not worthy enough to have a photo taken of.

They just aren't. Explain why people no longer take pictures of themselves next to their cars anymore. Even the normies back then did, but they no longer do today.

Twesla when?

KEK. Oh man, you got me.

/thread over

Are you just pulling instagram photos now?

I only posted Elliot, friend.

>people don't take pics with new cars anymore
>dismissing a whole social network dedicated to it

That's a black guy.

The major problem of recent car designs is that virtually everyone is going for an "aggressive" face which just looks juvenile to me. Example:
The problem started in the early 2000s.

Ae86 thread?

That's just a hobo leasing a car. He doesn't love it, he will toss it when the lease is over.

Wind tunnels.

The more I look at Elliot, the more I think he resembles Nakazato. Please tell me I'm not going crazy.

Post aesthetic pics. My folder could use some fresh ones.

aesthetic != a e s t h e t i c

Because angular shapes fail safety tests.

Sure friendo.

Whoa what is thatpicture from? I just discovered what irony is and I love that picture.

kys

it's mcintosh

Who's to say you can't love a lease? And then fall in love with another car

bring back pop-ups!

No. You don't marry someone and love someone else. It doesn't work that way. Pic related.

This.

OP is a hipster faggot that drinks craft beer, listens to vinyl records for their "warmth," and drives a 30yo shitbox because "they just don't make them like they used to anymore."

Jesus christ what a fag.

The classic vaporwave album Floral Shoppe
youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

Vaporwave is NOT irony.

Vaporwave's stance is more focused on loss, the notion of lassitude, and passive acquiescence.
Vaporwave relates to cultural memory and the buried utopianism within capitalist commodities, especially those related to consumer technology in the computing and audio/video entertainment area.

No, I drive an 8th gen Si and love the modern world in every aspect except automotive.

>memes

>kys
Thanks, but I'm quite happy with myself :)

That's cool, I'll listen to it ironically at first for now, since I don't get it but later on I'll actually like it. Thanks.

It's like a fever dream reflecting on the lost capitalistic dream of the early 1990s and the birth of cultural globalization.

Like drowning in a shopping mall fountain of syrup.

It's these songs that play in my head when I'm looking at these old pics.

What if I install pop up headlights on my Mitsubishi Eclipse, will that make it more aesthetic?

Yes. Pop-ups represent a bygone era.

I want an MR2 so bad, but the meme tax is too strong.

For the same reasons we can't even surpass 80's Geo Metro fuel economy. They don't want you moving around, discovering, and enjoying life. You're tax cattle, stay in your pens.

See Bill's red sports car? Probably means he's gay or is compensating for a small penis. Keep the other cattle in line so they don't venture too far away from the farm.

>can find them all day for under $5,000

What is meme tax to you?

Pic related

$4k is too much?

They aren't that expensive and I don't think there's gonna be a huge surge in price anytime soon.

This picture will never not warm my heart.

My personal favorite is this one not sure why though

New Jersey, aka hell for cars. Find a nice one? Prepare to pay a premium. Found a cheap one? The entire body has rotted through. Oh, and since it's a toyota, absolutely NO maintenance has been done, that means it's still using the same fuel filter for 300K miles, ignition cables were never changed, fuel injectors are clogged, and the differential was welded shut.

Just wait until you obtain an 80s shitbox and you start going hyperautistic about interior aesthetics.

You need to go out of state then. Here is one near me.

columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6118222294.html

Saab 900

Toppola is a brand of camper shell originally made for the Saab 99 combi coupé. By removing the hatch and putting on the Toppola a car could be converted to a campervan in about 15 to 30 minutes. The top can easily be lifted off and the hatch door reattached, so the car can be used without the Toppola. The unit is small, but features full standing height (2.0 m) and a 170 by 200 cm bed. It could be fitted with a complete kitchen and even a heater for use during winter.

>SW20

Nah m8, you couldn't pay me to drive one of those shitheaps with cheaped out suspension and with that signature 90's lump of plastic styling.

But the SW20 is better than the AW11....

Here is one in USABLE condition.

columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6098259311.html

>panda AW
Lads I got a stiffie

Found one in even better condition. But the blue is not my taste.

dayton.craigslist.org/cto/6111222542.html

But the SW20 is better, just like how the AE101 is objectively better than the AE86 in every way.

>autotragic
>used as a fucking garbage hauler
>this

Holy shit, it's the blue falcon.

>Because you can't have square edges or you might injure some moron that walks into traffic
>Because a bunch of current car design aesthetics are self referential memes (cars need a face, pointless lines on side panels etc)

I never said it was good. I said usable. But again, there are more in my area.

That grill opening juts out the furthest and is sharp.

>pointless lines on side panels
A engineer friend of mine works at VAG estimated the completely useless "edge" or "fold " on modern car designs effectively costs roughly $500 per car.
$500 flushed down the toilet for NOTHING.

I'm sure there are dozens of further examples.
This just pisses me off. Anything that does not improve the car's performance, safety or comfort should not exist.

I think it's because everything is optimized.
>aerodynamics
>safety
>interior space
>normie visuals

Companies no longer explore risky new styles. Maybe the Nissan Juke and Kia Soul are exceptions, but I fell like those are specifically marketed toward hipsters who have no taste anyway.

>finally get my first manual car
>shitty early 2000s aesthetics
Heck my stuff up famalam

Speaking of Juke..... License Plate

>posting best boy
Saved for future use

I always thought they existed to strengthen / increase the rigidity of the side panels and cut costs on material thickness, so it surprises me that it costs MORE and looks crap.

It also has a dumb car face, you just know they spent weeks working on it in marketting meetings.
>Its a fun car so it needs a fun face
>look how happy he is

The only point mentioned I care about is aerodynamics, because lower air resistance=higher topspeed+better mpg

Sticker

It's so angry

This car belongs in a museum

I swear that Elliot was Nakazato IRL.

Not OP, but enjoy your wind tunnel tested, soccer mom focus group car aesthetic.

Of course, but what happens is most cars end up looking about the same. Especially the front ends.

Literally describes the most-loved car on Veeky Forums.

I like the NB Miata interior. It reminds me of '90s skeuomorphic UI design, like riding around in Windows 98.

the cluster is clean, simple, yet a e s t h e t i c as fuck

I think the rear end is as important as the front end for low air resistance, just look at the CRX, the 1.gen insight, the model S, the old Datsun Z-series, the EV-1 and many sports cars.

youtu.be/DrxJCOVsV1E

New generation thinks cars aren't cool.

They are for faggots and Uber drivers.

It's not hip to drive

Veeky Forums is old

so what?
cars are good thats why we're here but there's so many people who just see them simplyas (if i may, what they are) transportation devices

That's what's wrong. The dude in the first pic clearly loves his car and treasures it.

OP's pic is so fucking blurry how can you tell?

What are you even implying? That the chink in the OP loves his car more because it's Japanese and the 1980s?

My first car was a 95 Camry, but best believe I also loved the shit out of it.

Well, when you buy a GTR or any other performance car it's because you love it. You did not love your Camry. You got it to get from A to B. And that's what wrong with the automotive world today.

Yeah, I love the green from my NA cluster at night

I got it because I was 15 and it was time for a car.
I certainly drove more than just from A to B in it. I learned to love driving period. In a Camry.

Drove it from North Carolina to Maryland completely on a whim once. Best years of my life with that Camry.

there was shitboxes since the beginning of time dude i honestly don't see your point.

STOP. YOU'RE RUINING MY DELUSIONS. GTFO

Globalization ruined our culture