2 stroke thread

2 stroke thread

So Im about to get my first 2 stroke dirtbike and I just wanted some advice on general maintenance and whats different about running a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke. I plan on doing as much as I can to bring it to optimum condition mechanically then perhaps some sik mawds down the track. Bike is pic related, a 2004 KTM 65 SX and Im paying a grand for it

Bump

>that gay ass rear wheel
toppest of keks friendo

Thats just a picture I have seen the bike in person and the wheels are the same

>2004 KTM 65 SX
do you have any specific questions on 2T engines?

I was working with 2T bikes when I was a child, to me everything seems trivial and obvious but I bet that's not the case for you.

What bikes did you have/do you have?

I own a roadbike (1980 Honda CB250 RS) and I sold my last dirtbike (XL 110) 3 months ago. I just would like to know things in terms of maintenance, for example my dad is big into bikes and he tells me they are unreliable as heck and you have to rebuild them every 20 hours of use and then on the other hand my dirtbike bros say the opposite. I would also like to know how to tune them because I have heard you can do all kinds of wacky shit with the reed valves etc

This bike will also be the most modern I have owned. Whats your opinion on KTM? Can I use high-octane? Is it safe to bore it out?

More?
Sauce?

>or example my dad is big into bikes and he tells me they are unreliable as heck and you have to rebuild them every 20 hours
> then on the other hand my dirtbike bros say the opposite.

He is probably right if we talk about 20 hours on the track.
However If someone has a bike with similar engine then you should listen this person (if you trust him)

Also a rebuild isn't very hard, 2T engines are very simple in construction. And rebuild usually starts with piston/rings/cylinder inspection, doing that requies like 15-30 minutes. Gearbox, clutch is same as in 4T bikes. Same goes for carbs.

I was rebuilding bikes by my self when I was 5.

Okay sounds good. I know my way around a bike but I was nervous about 2T because of how different they are. I wont be tracking competitively but I want a fast bike that I can show my mates up with when we go head to head. Im quite lightweight so a lighter bike is a big advantage to me but how would you go about increasing power?

> Whats your opinion on KTM?
I have none when it comes to KTM dirt bikes. I don't ride dirt bikes and friends of mine do not have any KTM dirt bikes.

>Can I use high-octane?

Stick to what's recommended by manufacturer (if you keep stock CR)

> Is it safe to bore it out?

It depends on cylinder construction, if it's plated then you no. unless it's cheap for you to bore & plate it.

Okay well thank you very much user you have been very imformative

Getting a lighter bike is always a big win.

You shouldn't be nervous about getting a 2T, many started with 2T bikes and was able to rebuild it at age of 10-14.

>how would you go about increasing power?
getting big bore kit, getting different bike.

I bet you'll have a lot of fun with that bike even w/o modding it for more power.

So I dont have anything to worry about maintenance wise so long as I take care of it? Do I need to do anything differently? Its a really nice bike is all

Mixing gas, and not engine braking
Also, a 65 is a small bike, why not go for a 125?

Its a cheap bike and its in great condition.
I swap bikes a bit might go for something bigger next time

Remember this is a 2 stroke.
I rode it not long ago and it scared the shit out of me. Im buying it

Okay, i was just thinking a 125 so you could have a full sized frame. My first bike ever was a 250 2stroke and yeah it was really scary riding it for a while

As far as it goes it is only just big enough for me. Im a small lad so I can afford to go smaller and this can be an advantage when considering weight, like me and this bike brings the combined total weight to ~125-145kg

about to buy a wr250f for 2150 this monday. Thoughts? Going to ride some trails

wr250 are probably my favorite of the enduro bikes.

my friends that had them never had any issues.

great bike, go for it.

I'll update you guys on how it goes. It's a 2002 in decent shape. The video the guy sent me show's it idling strong so I'm not too worried.

The only tricky bit is test riding it since I've never ridden a bike before.

>never ridden a bike
Dont worry you get the hang of it pretty quick. As nice as it is why are you starting on such a big bike?

I honestly couldn't find a smaller 2 stroke or even 4 stroke trail bike in the same condition or for the same price on craigslist. I've ridden mopeds with clutches so I'm not too worried, but I'll definitely be wearing a helmet

You bought a 65cc as a grown ass man?

What is wrong with you?

>grown ass man
Dont assume

I might soon be getting an apprenticeship that involves fixing 2 stroke engines, I know how they work but is there any other advice for fixing them?

My brother has an rz 350 from 89' that he just blew to pieces.
The thing with 2 smoke is that you gotta pay attention for a rattling noise when you're at high mileage. That rattling noise is the piston getting worn out and physically shaking. If it shakes too much it turns into dust.
But they're not unreliable, just be sure to premix or have your autolube pump.
His rz350 had a really weird death, as in it was making no noise, yet the piston became powder. Doesn't cost too much to rebuild it though, you pretty much only replace the piston unless the sleeve is scratched (his is).
I'll post pics when I get home.
Also two stroke sound n smell are the best.

>not engine braking
I haven't ridden a 2T before, and someone told me this a while ago. So when you're slowing down do you just hold the clutch? Like, do you just use the clutch when you're not using the accelerator?

Nope because when you re-engage you could be in the wrong gear. Go by this;
When stopping quickly you need to learn to downshift while you are braking, not much way around it Im afraid
When coasting you can engine brake but its not neccessary
But clutching in and braking is a bad habit

Even manlets are too big for a 65cc so if you're not a manlet you're an underage b& there's no reason for anyone beyond the age of 9 to seriously be on a 65cc

No there's no engine braking as in you can't use the engine to slow yourself. On a 4 stroke engine when you down shift the RPMs increase and you will slow down due to compression. Doesn't happen with a two stroke. You'll down shift, the RPMs will increase, but there is no compression braking so you can't use the engine to assist in slowing.