What car does Veeky Forums recommend for me?

What it do Veeky Forums, I'm soon to be learning how to drive and getting my licence. I've already chosen what I want as my first car: the AE86. But,I dont have the money and most of them I find that would be in my budget for a part time min wage summer job need some/a lot of work. My uncle is a mechanic, so the restoration isn't much of a problem, its money. Because of this, it is likely I'll get a hand-me-down from my parents and both are pieces of shit. I'm still open to suggestions, so tell me what you would recommend. It must be manual and RWD. My options are:

Mom's car: 2010 GMC Acadia
Pros:
>SUV, so room for nights out if you know what I mean

Cons:
>Automatic
>FWD
>Air conditioner rarely works. Every spring we have to take into the shop to get it fixed. When the A/C is on, it makes this weird loud clicking noise sometimes
>When applying the breaks and slowing down from high speeds, the whole car shakes and vibrates
>Every winter one of the tires, usually one of the front ones, are leaking air due to the cold for some reason
Its literally the shitty American car stereotype

Dad's car: 2006 Honda Accord
Pros:
>Never has had an issue (that I can recall of)
>Reliable

Cons:
>Automatic
>FWD
>Stereo only takes CDs, so I cant go around blasting eurobeat

Which one should I pic if I have to choose? Oh and also here are the links to the AE86s I found online:
1985 GTS: lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/6068474075.html
1986 SR5: southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6117141094.html
1986 AE86 (it doesn't say the trim): autozin.com/1986-ae86-toyota-corolla---3500--casper--1623275-atzlisting

Other urls found in this thread:

whatsmyip.org/lib/rx8-aux-ipod-input/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

3k civic

Dont raise your hopes high for your first car. Get a reliable car. Just take the accord

bump

OP here, please help me out

>cons
>auto
>fwd

Proves you're not mature enough for a car, get the accord or get nothing because you apparently don't even need a car.

I'd kill for that accord right now

Keeping an ae86 running is a lot of work. Since you know nothing about cars id say dont get it for your first car and ruin it. Pic related, ive owned this car for 8 years now.

Don't be stupid and get a money pit, especially for a first car. AE86s are memes, most of them you'll find are trashed, and all of them are asking too much. Honestly, take the accord. Drive it into the ground and save your money for something nice. It's better to be able to drop a lot of money all at once and get the car you want, instead of compromising or cutting corners to get it right now

'Mirin.

What sort of things did you have to replace? I'm just trying to get a jist of things.

I've had to replace my radiator, fuel pump, thermostat, plugs and caps.

you don't want something like an AE86 for your first car, older cars generally require a lot of maintenance and you don't have much experience. Also, you will inevitably ruin it if it's your DD.

get a nice car once you already have a cheap DD shitbox.

>It must be manual and RWD.
Veeky Forums memes aside, shit like this generally doesn't matter when choosing a DD. Just take the Accord if you're getting a hand-me-down.

hand-me-down story time:
>inherit shitbox Nissan Sentra from great-uncle as my first car
>dad usually borrows it for his commute so I barely get to drive it
>he hits a deer with it a few months after I got it and totals it
>never replaces for me it because "lol it's just a shitty rice burner, get another one yourself"
>mfw
fuck you pops, I loved her.

checked, nice car fampai

I'd recommend a Pontiac Fiero, but that's me. It's a bit of a special snowflake car. RWD, cheap, available manual, and the V6 models were quick for the time, definitely faster than an AE86 would be anyways. You'd want to find a 1987-1988 model though since new feature and build quality was constantly being improved or added. 1988 models actualy have completely unique suspension that was rumored to have been done by Lotus. I don't believe it was but there's some people who believe it. It's definitely possible as GM owned Lotus at the time.

Trucks make pretty good starter vehicles. Lots of room to work in the engine bay.

This aside.

FWD isn't bad. Just take the Accord.

>86 as his first car
*breathes in*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I'm sorry for your loss user. I know how it is when you get attached to a common econobox.

Just about everything...got the car as a frame and built it from the floor up.

different user but right on, that's the right way to go about owning a car like that because then you know everything's been done right compared to getting a half-done project that ends up shitting itself or an all-stock car that's been maintained like shit

user, im in a similar boat, and geographically close by. an auto fwd or awd car is great for winter and great to learn on. my first car was a hand me down second gen CRV that I beat on but love dearly.

I have a cruiser bike for fun and want to get a Miata or fiero or something to take corners aggressively and do hekitk skidz with.

getting an old car without experience, cash, and dedication isn't a good idea. try and learn and consider a 90s or early 2000s shitbox to learn to do repairs on if you don't have someone that can teach you.

also, be very aware of rust. cars around here rust to fuck and older cars that are preserved go for even more than in florida or cali where that isn't a problem

if you want a memebox, go for it, just know what youre getting into.

>wants an ae86, miata, or a fiero
holy shit do you have gtr vs vette lap times tattoo'd on you?

im on the same boat, it doesn't need to be rwd and manuel to be fun. You can have fun in any car if you're going fast enough, get the accord and either a different radio or blank cds and burn SEB volumes on them.

AE86 was my first car... I'm having trouble selling it now because it's so fucking old and decrepit. Don't do it.

buy a miata instead of the overhyped AE86

it's close enough

Look, I know manual + RWD is popular around here but you seriously don't need it for a first car. The drive train and transmission shouldn't be your focus, it should be the quality of the ride itself. I'm not saying it's unsafe or anything, I learned just fine in a stick, but don't pass up an opportunity for a car just because you wanna be like Dagumi.

Go with the Accord.

>>Automatic
This isn't a problem. It might not be your preference but that doesn't make this a bad car.

>>FWD
Unless you're going to be doing some skids, this really doesn't even matter. Right now you shouldn't be messing around with that anyway.

>>Stereo only takes CDs, so I cant go around blasting eurobeat
You know there's Super Eurobeat CDs right? You could also put in an aftermarket stereo, or if it has a cassette player you could buy those little adapters from Walmart.

Hopefully one day you'll see that the drive train and transmission isn't what make the car.
Also, why do you want the AE86? Like, an actual reason besides Initial D.

don't buy the fucking meme car. you'll just wreck it. get a 90s jap shitbox or something.

no, I just enjoy small light fun cars.

i just want a fiero or mr2 since theyre wedge shaped cars but not as big as an rx7 or supra

not to be le ebin born In da wrong generation man, but 1980s boxy and wedge shaped cars are my favorite design style for some reason. the bubble and blob shapes of the 90s on are shit

I've got one sitting out in my driveway, is my first car. I've also been fucking around with them for 10 years now

Do NOT get an 84, the duke is trash and the wiring is harder to do a swap on. 85+ at least

DO get an 88 if at all possible. They handle and stop SO much better. The only downside is they will need lowered in the front with drop spindles as for some reason they lowered the rear with the 88 but didn't bother with the front

Swapping in a newer GM 60* V6 is fuckin' cake on them

Get good snow tires or all seasons and drive it year round

Since the engine is in the back, it gets traction all day long

I know entirely too much about these stupid fucking cars and I wish mine would just do the swap on it that I want for me so I could concentrate on my boxster and Z

>Stereo only takes CDs, so I cant go around blasting eurobeat
Do people not burn CDs anymore? That makes me feel old as fuck.

this guy has the gist of it.

For your first car, you want homely Helga from the middle school dance, the one that's not pretty, not fast, not anything asides from that she'll still be there when you wake up in the morning for your slog to school/work.

With Homely Helga in the driveway, you then have the room in a few years, once your finances are stable, to branch out into fun project cars... but first you should learn how to drive on a "boring car".

Go with your dad's accord. Asides from the inevitable valve cover gasket it's more than reliable enough. As a new driver you don't need to be ripping hektikk skids... that can come in a year or two once you've got all the other intricacies of driving down.

that was my first thought as well

I was looking up rx8s that only had cd players stock, and my first thought was, fuck now I gotta burn like 10 cds if I ever got this

First of all, don't fall for a meme for your first car, they aren't fast, and for the price you can get much better.

Second, If you are looking at getting an AE86, NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDER ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE COROLLA GTS. The Corolla GTS is the same as the Jap AE86. The non GTS American cars are just 30 year old commuter cars that people that people mark up because they know people are retards.

As for what to buy, C4 or C5 corvette, Mr2, Sc300/400, miata, and civic. You should just take the accord though, it will be comfy, practical, and if it has the V6 it will be faster than most of this meme shit, and most importantly FREE.

Toyota Corolla.

You can always do this: whatsmyip.org/lib/rx8-aux-ipod-input/

If you fuck up, the only thing you have to replace is the radio. A little warning, though. Rx8 radios are kind of a bitch to get out the first time.

thank god ae86s are overpriced so kids can't crash them into the wall while feeling confident with their first car

get rusty civic, those cars aren't rare anyway.

name?