/ORG/ - Off-road and oveRland General

Welcome to Overland general and Off-Road General. Missing snow edition. Also known as:
>Veeky Forumsut/
>suburban general
>arctic truck general
>geep jeneral
>subaru shitting general
>general shitposting general
Overlanding when?

Moot sponsored content:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
discord.gg/SenfAyU
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

ITT:
>we are most normie general on Veeky Forums
>Mr. Cummins is still absent
>trying to climb a hill in awd subaru
>v6 shitting
>tyre discussion
>old thread:
>older thread:
>oldest thread:
>oldmst thread:
>oldmst'd've thread:

Hope you enjoy your stay with a complementary 5% off RockAuto:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00GXS3726/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gl3dzbD0Z53YG
a.co/53UxRQX
pastebin.com/AGc66Z8j
pastebin.com/cXZTGafD
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ticonderoga_(CG-47)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wish I had money for a car
I wish I could experience snow

why are you even on this board?

>rear view camera
>2000s hilux
Its an aftermarket unit that I've made a special mount for

Pic related

>swiftly atomised
Oh god, I said the word, didn't I?

Post cockpits

>inb4 some faggot posts some gay shit with a bunch of cocks

I like the tracker, it's cute

>you wish you were overlanding
>but you're actually just riding trails with your fat friend drinking starbucks and eating mcdonalds

LOL Starbucks cup.

You fucking fag.

>implying any self respecting murican even eats McDonald's
>implying that's not just my fucking fiance always leaving her fucking iced coffee cups in my cup holders

Don't b a jerk

For the same reason that most people on /k/ are nogunz air shitters.

I really like that switchboard. Got a link?

Mcfags has the best chicken Sammiches of any fast food joint besides Wendy's.
Chick fil a is a shit

See

I learned to drive on a shitty little Tracker like that.
It was an off-green, though.

Kohree 6 Black Gang Waterproof LED Switch Panel + Breaker amazon.com/dp/B00GXS3726/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gl3dzbD0Z53YG

Be advised, left most switch is momentary. I just wired it into the flood light circuit so I have momentary control if I want.

During dinner last night I was explaining to wifey about /org/ and why I had done a bunch of photogoatography. Then I had to explain tayposter when she peeked over my shoulder later that eve.

Just showed her the OP pic. Her response: "Kawaiii!" She's Japanese so she can say it un-weaboonically.

>you will never own a tracker
why are trackers so expensive
man i wanted that kind of fun car but all my money was stolen and now i cant afford a car again
should i die?
y/n

>Best Pic I have of cockpit
Everything else is mostly a stock burb, expect for external radio speakers wired into the overhead console. Got the CB and Ham wired up to two of them...

Need to fix this. Truck not like submersion

>MFW we all have the same CB radio

>Chick fil a is a shit
im going to actually fucking kill you

>cb
>not joining 2m masterrace

Hey so I'm kind of enamored with the idea of overlanding but where the fuck do you go to do it? I'm in the midwest and it seems like every inch of land is owned by angry ranchers/farmers.

>The front light on the bumper, is that an amber filter or red? If red, Y?

Its an amber filter over lights that have two-tone diodes that do either amber or white. I was looking for just plain amber led lights but couldnt find any except cheap chink bars that do both.

>How did you set up the remote relay hub?

I just bought one of these remote relay hubs off amazon. a.co/53UxRQX You can find them on banggood or some other /g/ chink-shit-general thread also. Basically, everything is on the same ground, so I just hid the relay box behind the switch control panel and ran each of the 12v outputs from the relay hub to the same pin as the switch would normally be using to power the lightbars relay. I just tied it into the switchboard outputs because it was the cleanest solution. My battery is always connected because of how GM decided to wire the truck up which is convenient but also sometimes risky cause there's always a trickle of a few mA somewhere.

My remote relay hub came fucked up and was missing connections from the common pins of each of the relays to the ground so I had to fix it myself. Also, theres 3 pins sticking up from the board and you use an included jumper to jump two pins together to change the relay modes. theres momentary, on/off (which is what I use) and all on/all off at once iirc.

>enamored with the idea of overlanding
thats been happening a lot lately. i think instagram is fetishizing it
what state are you in? there are loads of trails in the midwest man. if you have to drive a few hours to it too that just adds to the fun.

nope there are 0 trails here and 0 incline
im serious nothing of any kind and if you want to "overland" here you'd do better in a small boat of some kind or one of those amphibious vehicles

South/central texas.

and I'm not really on social media much, I've been lurking Veeky Forums for a few years and it seems like one of the few fun, relatively cheap, not illegal things to do with a vehicle.

so then keep driving? i mean thats pretty much what overlanding is anyway man

im not from texas so i cant comment on specifics but you just have to know where to look. i see people on forums overlanding in texas all the time. it may not be exactly where you are but if you drive for a few hours im sure you can find some trails linked together

Here is a pajeet-tier schematic of basically how it is wired. Everything is fused.

Who said I wasn't on 2m

o
>mfw im not even yet i was just posting cool memes and my test is in 3 weeks
how hard is it
pls say easy i dont want to study

also
>tfw no 55
is there any reason to still live?

i mean just

That is awesome

J U S T

J U S T
U
S
T

>so then keep driving? i mean thats pretty much what overlanding is anyway man
what the fuck do you mean by this

Pretty meh

drive farther to different more exotic destinations? overlanding is essentially defined as 'vehicle dependent travel where the journey is the goal not the desination'? pretty self explanatory my man

>912 patches on roof for some reason

I don't understand what you're trying to say.
Did you not read my post? It's literally undrivable and I'd have to go thousands of miles north to just get drivable land

so youre on an island or something? yeah that sucks i guess
otherwise K E E P D R I V I N G F A G G O T

>Yfw I have a dozen more on the way

Need to releather. Just bought an inboard navigation.
Maybe swap out tacky steering wheel cover

But I'm glad she finds it kawaii. Hehe. Post arm socks

I fucking hate the word too. Only because of weebs tho, desu.
>inb4 stfu normie

Shut the fuck up blue land cruiser goy

Oops. Forgot to post picc

Kevin?

What part of midwest are you in?
Michigan fag here. I can drive North for an hour and disappear into the woods. I am jelly about no mountains tho.

At least you're not in the city. The only thing I have locally around here are a few small areas to put around in for an hour or two...

I found it pretty easy. I went to my local ham club. They offered a "ham in a day" class. A few hours on a Saturday spent in a class, followed by the test. I left certified.

I was going to do this, but with souvenir srickers

>Shut the fuck up blue land cruiser goy

i ordered that book but i havent opened it yet
ill probably do what ive always done with every test which is ignore everything until the night before

It's kind of funny, we do the same thing on /k/ with patches that Veeky Forums does with slaps and stickers

pastebin.com/AGc66Z8j
pastebin.com/cXZTGafD

Thank you. Did you attach one of those thread rollers inside (forget what they're called. they're just a metal cylinder to protect the outside of the boreing from the threads of the bolts) too? Or would that make the bolt too weak?

I want to do a setup like this but have it vertically beside the passenger side A-beam.

Kevin... whomst?????
Her name is Tayconderoga.

Might me hitting Chicago on the summer. I may have to go through Buffalo and around Erie, tho ):

They're just depressed senpai. Leave them alone.

no thread rollers. Just tighten the nut down and shit doesnt budge

>Might be hitting chicago on the summer

Watch out for the dindu hordes in Chicongo

>Kevin... whomst?????
>Her name is Tayconderoga.

Never mind, know a guy called Kevin who has the same truck with the same steering wheel cover.

>shit doesn't budge
This is /ORG/, tho. Gravel jumping budges everything.

At this point, I don't even care about moving the roof rack back in the centre point.

Is he Yellow YJ guy?

A Lexus Land Cruiser? Where @, senpai?

I just have this thing laying around since they gave it to me for free when I bought some ammo from Cabelas. It feels god awful due to the low friction on the surface. And since the Land Cruiser requires an assload of arm strength (compared to other vehicles, of course) to turn the wheel, it's a pain to parallel park it even with power steering.

post dindu whores

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ticonderoga_(CG-47)

Where do you live? Whats weird is I've lived in this region since I was a kid and spent countless hours in that scrub on my bmx or just walking around, never knew there was a cool little hilly area less than a 10 minute drive from my house.

>catching air
Maybe when I start getting more confident and get another cheap car because this is my DD for the moment.

Dunno if its the exact same model but I think its a Lexus QX4. Vancouver

Find my Cruiser easy enough to steer, but the turning circle leaves a lot to be desired, found myself doing a lot of 3 or 4 point turns yesterday where my friends Pajero simply did a U turn.

> Want offroad fun for camping and /k/
> Jeeps are small and taxed
I'm looking at maybe a 90s bronco. What else should I consider?

That's an infinity, senpai.

Lexus makes LX-xxx for the FZJs, GX-xxx for the modern Land Cruiser versions.

Which Vancouver you've tickled my interest button

where are you located?
buy a subaru

killing yourself

DROPPED

Got an STI already. Want something with real 4x4.

OK then I don't know what model it is, pretty sure its Lexus of some kind.
Canadian one, specifically the north bit

>buy a subaru

If you want different kinds of STIs, get a Subaru and take it into the woods. Cletus loves that shit.

[spoiler]Nah. I don't mind Subbies. I just wanted to make that joke[/spoiler]

What's your budget, user? Do you need to move people around? How "offroad" do you want to offroad?

Balls

Now you done it

Budget max is about $15k, prefer to spend closer to $8k though. I'd like to have some left over to customize it as I see fit. I do my own mechanic work and am familiar with chevy and ford engines (as well as subaru).

I'll need to move 4 people at most. Preferably reasonably safe for taking the kid camping. Coolers, guns, camping gear for carrying.

I'd like to do some trail riding with it, preferably through some decently tough stuff. Low range required, ability to easily add lockers preferred. I don't want to have to jack it up much either.

I'm going to be living by Texas hill country for the type of terrain I'll be hitting.

in that price range look at 1st/3rd gen 4runners, 2nd gen tacomas, 90s broncos, 90s f150s and maybe some square body chebbys. spend 8k on one of the above, set aside $2k for repairs/maintenance and then use the rest to mod it. the order iw ould go in would be - suspension, tires, gears, lockers. that should take care of the rest of your funds pretty quickly.

Built XJs / TJs in or around GTA are $7500 running 33s. I saw a TJ on 37s the other day for $6000. It was bring orange so that was a big nope, unfortunately.

I hear Texas peeps have bad pricing in terms of offroaders where XJs cost like minimum $8000. That's a shame. However, if you do get an innawoods / innadesert offroading machine, you could do IFS because of the hill jumping. So these could be "cheap" options for light - moderate offroading: Explorer (V8 obligatory), 4Runner (V6 or I4 turbodiesel), Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, or Xterra

Try and find one that is pre-lifted if possible. that'll save you money and unnecessary hassle. It may seem like fun to mod it yourself. Though it is, a prelifted one is just more practical.

prelifted is nice in the sense that it saves you money but you also have to take into account that if it has a lift already installed that more than likely means some dumb redneck took it into the woods regularly and absolutely hammered it into the ground. obviously this isnt true for all cases but personally id rather get a pristine stock example that i know hasnt been thrashed on

I kind of prefer to avoid prelifted. Seen too many horror shows people have bought. I'd have to research how they lifted it and make sure it's good, and make sure it wasn't beat on.

Post arm socks

Challenge accepted.

wtf are arm socks? Like I can see the picture, but are they like an arm brace or something? Is it a jap thing?

>rei sticker on a geo metro
>taking pictures of someone taking a picure
>a chinese wife with socks on her arms
is this the only thing that could happen when someone on Veeky Forums goes outside?

That's with any adjustment and vehicle, though.

There are good give-aways to whether something is done well or not. First check that their tyres are not some hand-me-down goodyears installed backwards. Then see who the person is, etc.
But pre-built is more referring to someone who is downsizing / moving and selling their offroad rig as a result. Those are the best sales "need to go by x because I am moving and can't take it with me" or "high sentimental value".

sure. but the fact still remains that any modified vehicle is exponentially more likely to have been thomped on than a stock one. sure sometimes you can tell whether or not this is the case but a lot of the time you cannot. its a risk, to you that may be a risk worth taking. to me, it is not.

There's a heap in my area for 1200 burgers that runs with a few issues

Think I could buy it and apply a memetax for the next buyer?

depends on what kind of heap but probably

Some Asians have an anti-UV philosophy. Apparently it's bad for the skin, and at 10,000+ feet the sun is crazy strong. Hence arm socks. Mostly Japs and some Chinese.

I guess. But it's a Geo Tracker, cousin to the Sidekick/Jimny. And she's Japanese, not Chinese. Correct in spirit, wrong in details.

"inb4 some faggot posts some gay shit with a bunch of cocks"

Now why the hell would anyone do that

>why would anyone post dicks on the worlds leading mongolian basket weaving forum

learn2quote faggot

Also, never underestimate the users of a honduran online spelunking forum to post cocks.

>>>>>>>>chan

Read the OP. We're the most neurotypical place on /fortune/.

Then again, it also depends on the type of lift. If you get a torsion bar swapped exploder / ranger, you'll have less to fuck up with the lift kit compared to the A-beams in the Taco / 4channer.

Though, if you find a high mileage lifted vehicle, you could always re-do the lift yourself whilst having a general outline of the lift. Vehicles that are only lifted rarely command more money than their non-lifted counterparts. It's the tyres that ends up costing more.

who the fuck puts a subaru emblem on their chevrolet tracker. are you legitimately retarded?

>he calls Veeky Forums "fortune"
>he calls the 4runner "4channer"
And he thinks we're neurotypical.

Is this bait? Are you legitimately retarded? How new are you? Do you know what tayposting is?

>lurk moar

You are not that potato.

You're an idiot

Closest I got