S550 GT or WRX(2015+)

Looking for a fun daily, can't choose between the two. s550 GT with performance package vs 2015+ wrx(don't want to deal with ringlands on the sti down the line)

Not worried about practicality(snow, seating, etc)

Just want to hear opinions about drivability of both cars. The interior of the premium trim of the GT felt much nicer than the WRX from my first impression.

Musthand hands down. The STI isn't what it used to be. If you chose to go with mods, the Mustang has a much larger market. Also, Mustang parts are much cheaper than STI parts and can be found everywhere, even 20 years from now.

New WRX's have been reliable, go testdrive both and see what you think. Both completely different cars. I'd say the WRX would make a better daily

both a shit

i did, couldn't really test the limits of handling though. mustang def has torque going and seemed to have a better NVH

wrx will hold it's value better aside from power that much is obvious the mustang is better. the wrx is a comfier different type of animal with it's AWD stability and such. Get a base wrx for like 27k out the door

Honda Accord

feeling the awd might get boring down the line compared to rwd though... also the coyote seems to be bullet proof, the fa20 not so much. Would probably buy the GT used if I go that route

>
nah bro you should get a late 90s Lexus ks499

>Lexus ks499
u wot

bump

Rexie if you actually plan on doing anything that AWD would help with, like snow trips or shitty dirt roads. Otherwise go for the stang.

nah no snow or dirt, just want the most fun with some backroads, and canyon driving

EVO
V
O

Well either way it's all about practicality vs skidz and looks. The rex would make a better DD for sure but if your heart's set on fun or style then you already know what you want.

what makes it a better DD disregarding snow and backseats?

also what would make the mustang more fun besides more HP? (rwd?)

>besides more HP? (rwd?)
you answered your own question...

Fuel eco, backseats, shorter braking distance, AWD handles better on any unusual surface or in any inclement weather.
RWD, skiddz, more power overall.

wait the stock wrx would have better braking difference than a gt with 6 piston brembos? (well I guess I can google that myself..., just seems suprising)

Oh well that's my fault I didn't really pay attention to which exact trims you were going for. Just meant that typically a comparably fitted smaller car with less power will stop faster. I have no clue on specifics of the ones you mentioned.

Mustangs are still heavy as pigshit because Ford is run by retards that cannot decide if its a piss-weak muscle car, or a shitty sports car.

here's a new one for you

camaro or mustang?

how would that affect the "fun" of the car? I heard the new gt's are still very competent and run very good track times

can't deal with the camaro visibility, just not for me

>OP actively mentions not wanting the STI, just the WRX
>HURRR DUN GET THE STI M8

Ya dun goofed

Not American, so I wouldn't know exactly, but doesn't dodge offer the charger with AWD nowadays? Could be that it's just 1 trim or so. Why not that instead of the wrx?

Both are shit as daily drivers.

Get a C43 Amg poorfag.

honestly the wrx is bland as fuck feeling until you get a tune and an exhaust. the mustang is really fucking fun but you can really feel it's size around corners.

Charger is a full size sedan while the WRX is a compact. OP said he wants to rip thru some windy canyon roads, that's not really what the Charger is made for.

Evos are like so out of the price range of both these cars aren't they?
Especially since that insurance is going to bankrupt you....

They aren't that far out. lancer evo base is ~35k gt starts at 33k.
I don't think I would buy one out of 1600 evo's though, that sounds like a bad plan.
Buying a 1 out of 1600 for as a cheap option sounds like a bad plan.

I am all ears to being convinced to buy an evo, it is such a great car.

But between the almost financially suicidal cost of insuring it and the crazy maintenance costs it's such huge sacrifice to drive one. And it's not like it's meant to get good mpg either...

I mean, 200-300 a month on insurance? Good lord.

so a wrx will feel better around corners?

the Mustang feels way better in terms of fit/finish and ride quality and I'd guess that it would be much more reliable in the long run. Subarus even with the FA are still finicky, interior feels cheap as fuck and the ride is not comfortable. but an AWD sedan can certainly be more practical than a RWD coupe.

my 2015 Mustang Ecoboost has the performance package and I think it feels much better in corners than my 2008 STI did. Mustang handling has come a long way.

>Subarus even with the FA are still finicky
>the ride is not comfortable
Explain, the mustang is not a smoother ride that's for sure. Maybe you are thinking of the stiff STI because the WRX is a great daily driver and probably just as fun on some backroads maybe even better

I can agree with that from my initial impressions. The mustang seems to do everything better , the coyote seems to be much more reliable than the FA. Only thing that I couldn't really test was the fun to drive factor which is a huge factor.
Is it fun to drive? More fun than the STI?
OP here, The mustang from a short cruise, even the one with the performance package seemed to have better ride quality and cabin noise than the WRX. But you think the WRX might be better at backroads?

Wrx has alot of grip and stability at high speeds, only downfall is loose unresponsive steering

Honestly, the mustang is a great car with a good motor and pretty good handling. If you want backseats and AWD, get the WRX. If you want more power and RWD, get the stang.

If you plan on modding, you can get some serious hp with a downpipe and a tune in the WRX. You can also tune away a lot of the vague feeling with some mild mods (springs/tophats/bushings/steering inserts/shiftstop) and get a pretty great car. It'll almost be like a different car after that. The FA20DIT motor is pretty tough till you try to go for insane power, then the rods bend. It's much more reliable than the older motor. An aftermarket tune will make it drive insanely smooth too.

How would the mustang fair in the same high speed test?

If I go the WRX route, I probably would only look to push 275-300whp max. I've read multiple stories of FA20's blowing stock though. Friend blew his in his 15 wrx at 16k miles...

Is AWD safer than RWD? I feel like the grip would make it more confidence inspiring, as in it won't oversteer when you least expect it too like RWD (when it's a little colder than you judged, tires not warm enough, slight wet patch, etc)

Not as stable and planted but possibly better steering input, idk I've never driven a newer mustang.

kinda in a wrx it feels almost like cheating if you're not used to awd. feels about on par for the car's size. the mustang just feels like you're driving some fuckhuge thing but it's still very precise (the newest models at least)

I think the issues of WRXs blowing is a bit overblown. Maintain them well and they seem very good. I don't think you'll run into any trouble at the 300whp level. Getting a good tune is key in my opinion. Go with someone reputable and well known. Boxer motors need to have their oil level checked somewhat regularly and need to be abused only after warming up. Luckily, there is a true oil temp sensor in the new WRX.

Any type of drive will spin out if you go over the limits. It's a bit more forgiving with AWD though as your front wheels can help you recover as well.

I own 2017 mustang gt with performance package and recaro seats. I used to own a 2006 sti, one thing I notice is that with the mustang you are always alert and try not to make mistakes or else you are fuck. With the sti it was different it was more driver friendly.

Buy BRZ instead. True drivers car.

>wants something fun
>suggests slower than a minivan sports car

In all seriousness I think the s550 would be a better option just because of the aftermarket for it.

He mentioned he wanted a fun daily driver for weekend backroads. 86 is great example fool

dat understeer, looks like he was going to fast for the turn anyways.. unrecoverable.
What kind of long term reliability has there been on the fa20? 100k+ miles?
How are you liking the mustang though? Is that how you feel with traction and stability on too?
How do you feel about the wrx?

By that logic miattas aren't fun either, not sure what you're on about.

Because they aren't

obviously it's all subjective but in my opinion the Mustang is quieter with better seats, nicer fit and finish and a softer ride even with 19" wheels. the Subaru felt like it had the interior quality of a 90s Kia and it had squeaks and rattles and the panels were insanely easy to scratch.

I think it's more fun to drive but it's a different animal. stock for stock I think 0-60 and 1/4 mile between the Ecoboost and WRX are similar but of course the 5.0L tramples them both in a straight line. on paper the WRX should stay tighter in corners and be better on short road courses and auto-X and the like but my experience with the STI was that it was really hard to avoid understeer and I can throw the Mustang into just about anything and know when it's going to his the point of trying to oversteer. I also get mid-high 20s for MPG with the Mustang and couldn't get better than 17 with the STI but my friend with a 2016 WRX says he gets 30+.

I currently have a 2016 GT PP Premium and had a 2013 WRX before that. I would never go back to a Subaru, and I really loved driving my WRX. They're two totally different cars and both have their ups and downs.

Both cars were dailies for me. The WRX was gutless until about 4/4.5K and used as much fuel as my 99 V8 Dakota did. AWD was really nice in the snow and is really confidence inspiring with some nice tires. Inside was cheap, tons of rattles and vibrations. The suspension sucked pretty hard to DD (I never drove the STI but I heard it was even worse). It was a lot of fun in the twisties, but it's pretty overrated after driving a few different cars. I came from trucks at the time, so it was night/day for me. Some of this stuff may have changed in the 15' redesign but from what I understand, it really hasn't.

The Mustang feels like it pulls everywhere. That N/A instant response is really remarkable, and coupled with the 7K redline feels great. The exhaust note is intoxicating (with aftermarket at least, stock it could be mistaken for a V6 Camry). You do feel it's weight a bit in corners when pushing it, but it really isn't as drastic as it's made out to be. The IRS is really well planted and the nannies actually do a decent job when you don't want to go nuts. It's nearly double the HP and only a few hundred lbs more than a WRX. (3.4K vs 3.7K). The interior is actually really well done in the 15+, there's still some cheap components because its still a affordable sports car, but in the premium at least most if not all things that you will touch or interact regularly with are leather wrapped. I didn't opt for the recaros because I wanted heat/cooling/power functions that they don't have. (I abuse the heat/cooling daily, heat on drive in, cooling on drive home).

>What kind of long term reliability has there been on the fa20? 100k+ miles?
Plenty of foresters are over that, several WRXs are knocking on that on forums already. Seems more than doable. Hard to get a huge sample size since that motor has only been out since 2014 and in 2014 it was only in the forester xt.

Did the size, weight, and visability (and the long hood) bother you about the mustang compared to the wrx? Like is it claustrophobic or do you get used to it fast ?

>The WRX was gutless until about 4/4.5K and used as much fuel as my 99 V8 Dakota did.

Completely inaccurate on the new 2015. They start boosting ~2000rpms and get 25 to 30 mpg real world. The interiors are also much nicer than previous generations. You've got old info.

I daily drive a crew cab pickup with a tan interior so everything feels small compared to what I'm used to but it's not horrible. the side view mirrors are pretty small but I guess I don't have any issue figuring out where the car is at or anything like that

The hood felt like it went on for miles when I first drove it. Now it feels like any other car. You get used to it.

It only felt claustrophobic in the Camaro. You can take your pinky on the steering wheel to your thumb to the headliner for example. Even with a fairly small head, you can't fit it straight through the window, you'd have to tilt it sideways. They honestly feel like a coffin.

>Coupe has over 425 HP
>Complains it is pig shit
Unless you're buying a Mercedes/BMW etc you aren't get a lot better.

yeah the camaro feels like a tank

Any Subaru post 2007 is pedestrian-tier garbage econobox.

>Mustangs are still heavy as pigshit
And so is the Challenger, but people still buy them. You need to stop thinking that every single car needs to be track viable.

Whys that?

The most important thing to take from this OP is don't listen to Veeky Forums.

I recently switched from mustang to a 2017 WRX. I love it. Mostly because AWD and turbo are something different then what I am use to. So it's new and exciting to learn. Pre-choice though I chose the WRX for 2 reasons. They hold value better, and I really just want the 2020 STi. You may just want to look at leasing for 2-3 years until the redesigns drop in 2020 for mustang and WRX.

Wrx have terrible fuel.
If you drive both eco you get about same mpg

What didn't you like about the Mustang?

What year mustang?

We talking about the fa20 wrx?

Not this copy pasta again