Will she fit?

I found a 2001 2.5RS for 1000 but the timing belt broke and fucked the engine so it needs to be replaced other than that she looks good. I found a twin turbo EJ206 for 1500. Will the engine fit? And is it worth it?

Sure, why not

I also found a WRX EJ205 AVCS 2L engine. Its a bit more expensive is it worth it?

it'll fit but good luck passing emissions. The twin turbo wasn't sold in a US car, so making it meet emissions will be a pain in the ass if it's possible at all.

Honestly, I'd look at an EJ205 instead since it's still a 2.0L turbo and was used in the US market WRX. It should bolt right in too.

Pretty sure the twin turbo requires a RHD conversion due to the second turbo intersecting with where the steering shaft would go.

>passing emissions
>living in a cuck state

I'm in Alberta Canada. I've been reading into it and there doesn't seem to be any emission testing for cars.

>EJ206
It's likely not to fit due to all the extra piping for the TT setup, but nothing a bit of fabrication couldn't fix. I'd look into an EZ30 at this point though...

>EJ205
Confirmed to fit. I'd personally go this route.

>tfw no wrx coupe

>buying a membaru
>ever
kys

With the EJ205 you're gonna need either an aftermarket or the JDM ECU along with the JDM harness to get the AVCS working and the JDM ECUs don't always play nice with the OBDII testing system they use at inspection stations in the US. I have no idea what the situation is in Canada but it's something to be aware of if the car needs to go though inspections.

The 2.5RS is the best one to buy if you're willing to put work into an STI conversion. They even make reproduction 22b-style widebody fenders.

>interference engines with a timing belt instead of chain
Seriously who thought this shit up?

The greenhouse is so absurdly huge on these things

>unironically giving a single fuck about the greenhouse

trust me, this "cheap" car is going to become a money pit

>the engine fit?
if you can move the steering shaft and brake booster, get a turbo crossmember and custom fab your down pipes and other plumbing. Also have fun running the loom without melting it/ chopping your firewall.
Why would you bother when so many stand alone options exist?

/thread

not OP, but ive always wanted a turbo 2.5RS 2 door. How easy is it to get an STI motor, (EJ205?) into it? How much of the drivetrain needs to be worked on to handle, 300 whp ish?

>Emissions
Go to a private mechanic, slip him $50 and they pass it every time

Spoken like a true desk racer

The twin turbo setup does not fit in a LHD car. The secondary turbo is in the way of both the brake booster and steering column.

You're going to need, at the bare minimum-
>EJ205, AVCS or not, non-AVCS will be cheaper
>turbo crossmember
>turbo front subframe
>bugeye WRX exhaust
>bugeye WRX wiring harness
>spare 2.5RS harness
>Have iWire merge those two harnesses together
>Walbro 255 fuel pump
>WRX fuel pump controller
>WRX throttle cable and pedal
>06-07 WRX clutch and flywheel

t. Legacy fag who is saving for a turbo swap

Oh and the WRX ECU of course.

You can go with a JDM engine but you'll need to put the USDM cam and crank gears and sensors on it, the USDM intake, and the JDM ECU will need to be Dyno tuned to work properly.

>Why would you bother when so many stand alone options exist?
Personally I wouldn't but some people are cheap and want to use what they got with the motor.

The JDM STIs used the EJ207 and the US used the EJ255 or EJ257. The EJ205 was the 2000-2005 WRX motor. You can drop both into the Subaru 5MT drivetrain without much work outside of a new clutch, flywheel, and possible changing the clutch from pull to push (I don't remember the specifics of the last part but there was a change around that time) but you'll be looking at a higher chance of parts breakage down the line if you do. The alternative requires swapping the 5MT for an STI 6 speed and all the associated running gear which is exactly as hard as it sounds.