First race in the new car. It ran perfectly and I got a good feel for driving it...

First race in the new car. It ran perfectly and I got a good feel for driving it. No problems other than a wing endplate coming off during practice so I had to deal with a bit of push. I didn't touch anything, it just looks like a previous repair job that finally failed. Current plan is to either buy or cut a new end plate since this one got run over and 3D print a new insert for the wing.
youtu.be/7RNc9NHrXQ0

The good side

Note the rivet holes here that are absent on the good side, evidence of previous repair.

End plate with sheered off rivers or bolts.

miss you kiwifruit

Whiplash tonight?

That's a pretty sweet track car, how much was it for the kit?

$20k. Its a late model Van Diemen (RF99) with the USF2000 aero package and wide track suspension update. Nice 3-way adjustable penske shocks and full data logging too. Should be very competitive in the NW Formula Continental series once I learn my way around it and do my part at the wheel.

Thanks, I'm thinking about making my own kit car in the near future

Nice, looks like a pretty serious bit of kit
Did you get the zizin race suit made?

Its not a kit car, you can only buy them complete brand new. But forget that, they're like $80k brand new. Much cheaper to get one after the professional race teams are done with it.

I did not, decided to just cheap out and get a generic suit from astars. Better to spend that money on things I actually need.

>there's legitimate racecar drivers on Veeky Forums
do what now

There's more than just me. Trolly races bikes, inline races a civic, austin races stock cars, and ze german races formula renault.

Aww
Fair enough, but if i end up racing one day i would totally have some level of memery on my helmet/overalls/car

Someday, but everything is expensive. Its like another grand for a custom suit. You can buy many fancy parts for that money.

The ironic thing is /ovg/ has more racecar drivers per capita than the rest of Veeky Forums

Bread on nose of it.

Will do, but it will have to wait until I get home from work.

how much do the tires cost and how long do they last?

Tires are the single biggest expense. $1k/set including mount and balance. Dunno how long they last from personal experience yet but supposedly these bias-ply Hoosiers are good for a couple weekends at least and then work ok as practice tires after that. Considering switching to the Pirelli radials that the pro series uses, supposedly they are a little bit harder compound that lasts a bit longer and the guys running them don't seem to be any slower.

As requested

I'm jealous

I'm here because I want a sports car and you show up with the real deal

Is this the 2.0L Pinto that was posted here couple months ago?

And there's a rich fag banker user who was a privateer in some 911 gt3 series

There are also a couple of race mechanics here

that's Scott Taylor. /ovg/'s favorite aussie

Yep

Cheaper than a new sports car :)

>Cheaper than a new sports car :)
Up front, sure

>13:56
That was a dangerous pass.

Nice, that looks like a ton of fun. I've driven formula cars but only ones without wings, I need to try something with serious downforce someday.

Ex-race mechanic checking in. I was a crew chief for a bit too.

I've also done a lot of trackdays, including as an instructor, and went to Skip Barber, but I've never competed in a wheel-to-wheel race. It's definitely on my bucket list, I'm more of a tintop kind of guy than open wheel, though, and the low-end club racing scene in SoCal is surprisingly weak.

test

Yeah I was annoyed at that guy, its not like he was even in a battle with someone or anything, could have just gone by on the corner exit with all that power.

This is the first time I ever drove one with downforce as well. Not so bad really, drives just like my shifter kart only more stable.

Cool shit man
Are you participating in an actual championship or are you just having fun at club-level races?

I plan to participate in the northwest fc championship. Its still kind of an amateur-tier series but there is some small prize money and a lot of good drivers to battle with. Might take it down to California to do an event or two in the Pacific F2000 pro series next year.

shoe on head of it

Do you ever feel cramped in that thing? Seems like it could be a tight fit.

Its tight but comfy. Sitting position is pretty much laying down. Could probably take a nap in it.

that things rally neat-o i'm getting into dirt track right now but have always wanted to race track just pretty difficult in LA
pic is car i'm building for dirt track super cheap hopfully i'll be competitive

Those little Radicals are cute. What model are they?

SR3

That's awesome, you should post some vids when you get it done.

where tf is the wat racing sticker

I'm jealous but also your line is complete trash. but I'm also very jealous.

I'll find a good place to put one after I get my sponsor vinyls sorted. Car still has the previous owner's vinyls on it.

I drive accurately and on special lines. Where I can improve most is the braking zone into T1, I know I can carry way more speed through there but with a missing winglet I didn't wanna overdo it. The back section was also very difficult to get right with the amount of push I was experiencing due to the missing winglet and endplate. I am also not geared very optimally, watched one of the other guys' vids and his gearing was way better but right now I only have two sets of gears. Gonna have to collect a lot more of those.

Wing insert prototype made out of PLA. If this fits the final version will be printed with nylon and helicoils used for the threading.

Fuck you guy. Closest to this feel I ever got was driving my friends dirt track car once.

We're all gonna make it brah. This was my entire racing operation less than five years ago.

You are the meme

Looks good friend-o. Come a long way since Formula Skippy.

Yeah, this car is a million times better than a skippy car. I think skip barber must intentionally set those up really soft so students can really feel weight transfer but god damn they were hard to drive really fast because of it. They are also limited by those tires. There is none of the pitchy floaty feel the skippy cars had in this car. It drives beautifully, just like a shifter kart only with more stability. The suspension is right there exactly where you want it when you want it.

That's really good. I always wondered why those things felt like a wet noodle in the corners. Granted I shouldn't have expected much from those cars. Plus those frames are probably ancient. The whole reason I had my accident there was I was trying to put my tachometer back into its mount lol.