Dwarf Fortress General /dfg/

Goblin Supremacy Edition
Old Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Updateish-Beta Version):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Updateish-Beta Version):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

How's the 64 bits version?
It's the same game.
Performance improvements for specific bottlenecks that were limited by memory. Worldgen doesn't crash anymore. Other issues were obviously not touched.

First for 'post good personal stories please'

DWARF FORTRESS IS A GAME

It was inevitable.

How long is history worldgen for most people here?
10-15 seconds per year after the first century and 2-3 hours for 1050 years is in the averages?

How do I get good at adventure mode? I made a demigod swordsdwarf and got completely and utterly BTFO by the first thing I got sent off to kill, some shitty winged night troll called a "one eyed woman."

DWARF FORTRESS IS A SIMULATION
A DATING SIMULATION
STILL IN ALPHA THO, CONTENT COMING SOON

You must grind skills first

Swim under a bridge for an IRL hour.

Training montage:
>Knap rocks and throw them at walls.
>Wrestle ravens.
>Sneak everywhere.
>Sneak/swim under bridges.

Also, bring a friend to meatshield for you all the time, and remember that fast traveling will instaheal any wound that can heal.

You must be careful while swimming though, you don't want to get encased in ice, when the "it is noon" message appears it's time to get out of the water and wait for a new day.

When will we get playable necro towers that we can defend against the hordes of turbo charged adventurers and robbers of arcane knowledge

WHEN?

NEVER

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2020-2030

In a time before time, I attacked me.

Do you like Bay12 aesthetics?

In a way yes

You wish you had Toady's MSpaint skills.

www.pcgamer.com/why-the-creator-of-dwarf-fortress-is-really-excited-about-boats

>www.pcgamer.com/why-the-creator-of-dwarf-fortress-is-really-excited-about-boats
How come there is so many pc gamers articles?

I think someone from PC Gamer interviewed him during GDC and they're just splitting the interview up into separate articles.

Timbukdrew, you wonderful thing, if you have time after marrying that other user, and the woman is ok with it, marry me next?

Well done.

It's a long interview in parts.

Oh really? ( ͡° @ ͡°)

And why do they all have such click-baity names?

Welcome to "journalism".

Because it's published on an Internet platform that finances itself through clicks.

Didn't the last one have a name along the lines of "'Adventure mode was a mistake', says Dwarf Fortress creator"?

No, it was titled "The creator of Dwarf Fortress doesn't really like to play games like Dwarf Fortress".

that depends on a lot of stuff, world size, civilization size, number of sites, etc

they're only mildly clikbaity for internet "journalism" standards
the one here is really more of a catchy funny title than real clickabait

Is this better than before?

"Better"? More like poop.

Is there a way to become the capital or create a civilization?

I'd make it taller and narrower desu, but I guess it's better to need fewer ballistae than marksdwarves.

If your fort is awesome enough the monarch will move their court to your fortress. There's no way to declare independence though.

embarking in a world with a dead dorf civ is the easiest way

Is the variable Reveal all history activated by default in worlds created with the basic worldgen?

I generated a world, pocket size for 10000 years
The last civ standing was a bunch of gobbos
One of these has been alive before history even existed for some reason, like -274 years. During his life he has written many, many books, hundreds of them yet when I checked his skills he was merely adequate at writing
just like Steven King hehe
Tragic

Sad!

He's actually a masterful writer. Your adventurer is just too young to appreciate his works, and honestly probably has shit taste as well. I mean, did you even try to read "The Elf, My Only Mistake?"

Yes it is.

Eyyyyy...

I think so, yeah, you can see the difference in legends mode cause ain't shit displayed if it's off.

Just how many rocs does that girl worship?

Damn you're right. I'm just not good enough :(
I wonder what kind of shit I can see in legends viewer. Maybe a couple that's gone at it so many times they're responsible for a great deal of the population

All of them apparently, which is almost sweet of her to remember them since damn near everything she's ever encountered is dead by now.

I get decent fps on 16x16 use to be less then 1 so 64 bit must have done something.

Is it possible to get pregnant in adventure mode?

Not unless you get kidnapped by a night creature. Though that would require killing everyone of the same sex and killing the night creatures mate.

What a shame.

Apparently you were limited by a specific bottleneck that was related to memory.
I would be cautious to compare performance on different embarks, by the way. Especially if it's in different worlds.
Now, a direct comparison of the same 16x16 embark spot in the same world would be more interesting. Even better, a 100 different embark spots each with 32bit 43.05 and 64bit 43.05, all of them at the beginning and after 5 to 10 years with a specific number of creatures and items.

DF perfs actually mostly depends on the L1 memory cache (strong CPU cores = more FPS because generaly there is a corellation wih that and a strong L1 memory cache, especially with Intel cpus and that's the opposite with AMD)

It's still theoretically possible for goblins to jump the ledges, but three tile gaps should be fine.
Jump distance depends on creature speed. I think you can jump something like four or five tiles at full sprint. Creatures in fort mode don't try to do that until they enter combat, though, and it takes a while to accelerate, so they'll never be trying to jump through your deathtrap at full sprint. At normal walking speed or less, they can only clear one-tile gaps, so anything more than that will work most of the time.
You should also smooth all the walls to stop creatures from climbing them. Climbing probably won't help them infiltrate your fort, because of how slow it is, but locating and shooting all the stragglers clinging to the walls sounds annoying.

One day, user. One day.

I believe.
Toady really needs to get out a fetish update that delves more deeply into the sexual lives of the different civilizations.

yes, I was already planning to smooth down the walls of the pit while digging (and everywhere else, since they look so good)

All I want is a romance expansion, mostly so I can have children and play as them once my character gets too old.

Also pissing.

You better be putting some beasts at the bottom for the invaders to fight, complete with bleachers for the audience to see.

>Also pissing.
Don't make me bring out the spray bottle you lil shit

You know you want it m8.
Don't fight it, embrace it.
Drink deeply of it.

Poopoopeepee in DF when?

I found the world-gen tests pretty informative, they start out with little difference, both quick, then 32 bit starts to fall behind more and more, and that just keeps going until you reach the point where 32 bit crashes due to memory but 64 bit can keep on trucking, slowly or not.

I'm fucking around in legends mode, what does it mean X was authored by Y?

X (title of book)
Y (book writer)

I generated a 10000 years pocket world, found a female goblin that is also 10000+ years old, and she possibly wrote more than a thousand books

Me too. I think it was a guy though and judging on how he slowed down I don't think mine broke 500

I noticed that an noticeable improvement just by going with Intel this time, was wondering what part of the CPU made a large difference for DF.

is there a better way to look at this information than ingame?

>in a time before time somebody attacked somebody

Yeah. Legends viewer

The final 1000 years. oh boy I hope lots of death is going on

my goblin wrote 1818 books, and created 26 Dance forms

There's also another 10000+ old fem goblin who wrote 2213 books

Found a little DF reference in C:DDA, thought I would share.

>All those towers

It's time to take up your fathers sword Urist, get that knowledge.

I too have a female goblin, though she is a poet and wrote around 1500 books

holy shit this is kind of depressing

Modding bros, if I made a necromantic megabeast, would its thralls follow it through history like they would a necromancer?

Goblins truly are the master race.

If it can make a tower and whatnot I think it should work that way.

If you were a hero you would slay the Demon leading the Goblins.

I tried to make a fortress just to see if the game would allow me, I don't even imagine from where the game asspulled 7 dwarves to give to me

That and RAM latency (there is a bottleneck if you really don't have enough RAM but you need FAST RAM)
I think benchmarks have some importance (and benchmarks are what matters instead of clock speed)
The game basically works by loading a whole save from the hard drive to the RAM (and from the RAM to the hard drive when you save) and the CPU is accessing it all the time in-game.
The reason why perfs sharpilly increase in a lot of people when the embark is below a certain size is because the L3 memory cache is able to load it instead of it being in the RAM, reducing problems with high RAM latency and latency between the RAM and the CPU because of the architecture of the CPU. (Intel has a good architecture for DF)

I retired the fortress and exported the xml again, it didn't even acknowledge my fortress or my dwarves existing for that brief moment

just making sure i'm having fun here

do dwarfs get happy thoughts from simple owning a office or do they have to use it? If they do have to use it do they use it at all?

they'll use it as a dining room if it also has a table

What lets necromancers build towers? There isn't a specific token for it that I can see

You could probably kill all of those, and bring about the Age of Death.

Its the whole secret of immortally

I don't know shit about adventure mode, but i'd be happy to upload this world somewhere so someone could do this

So I can't make my own secret of flying wizards who build towers and read books and chill all day?

You can but they'll be immortal and very much like necromancers.

Having the animate interaction and a secret they can teach.

I just reformatted an old and broken pre-43.05 lua script used for instant pregnancies to accommodate for the new id placements or so and so. Yay me! I sure feel like a real script kiddie

ARISE DWARFS THE ELFS ARE AT YOUR GATES!

I'm not sure that's how it works, looking at the example interaction they're immortal because becoming a necromancer gives them the no_aging tag. Maybe it's the tag that lets them write it down?

Does it have to be reanimation? If they don't have it, will they just wander around the world teaching random people whatever their secret is?

I think its the dream of becoming immortal that causes them to seek the secret.

They can teach it if it's got the mundane learning tag, but if they can't animate they won't build a tower and attract students so you need them having the sphere of the secret+supernatural+the sphere itself having immortality as a goal for people to seek it/learn it from them at all.