Why did nobody want the Chevy SS?

>LS3 power and torque
>comfy magnetic ride
>big Brembo brakes
>RWD with manual transmission
>practical as fuck
>no gas guzzler tax

This was basically the E39 M5 for the modern day, the ideal enthusiast daily. Why did it fail?

because chevy threw no advertising at the thing whatsoever. Nobody knew it existed and those that saw one IRL at a dealer thought it was a FWD Malibu.

It's basically a mildly more powerful bailoutbox

>duhh car need ads to sell
Fuck off n/o/rmie
Shit branding in USA
Yanks didnt like the styling and the "sleeper" looks
Yanks have shit taste
GM is retarded

the end
go fuck yourself uncultured swine the Alpha and Zeta Chassis are based

It's fucking 46k. At those prices you can get a fucking camaro that's better

>>LS3 power and torque
Also LS3 Fuel Economy combined with the excessive weight. cars like the C5 Corvette can get away with engines like that because they are very lightweight and aerodynamic.
>>comfy magnetic ride
Gen II CTS-Vs came with them too and are basically the same.
>>big Brembo brakes
Another CTS-V Feature.

>This was basically the E39 M5 for the modern day
Great, if it came out during the E39 it would've been loved. the problem is that its an outdated platform and people would rather have the latest M car and people who are into it would rather get a used V series or a new Camaro on the better lighter Alpha platform. the Camaro is pretty much just as practical minus visibility which doesn't really bother people enough to give a fuck. my neighbor owns one and he really doesn't give enough of a shit to drop 40+K on an old Commodore that a V6 1LE will stomp. trunk opening isn't enough of a problem either and has plenty of space for what the average person will take with them.

If it truly (is) the E39 M5 alternative than it should've came along then. now, its just got too much competition including GM's own lineup and used CTS-Vs which can be more or less the exact same experience.

Hope that helps.

Cause they're charging BMW/Audi prices for a car with a chevy badge. Perf on paper is good but shit's ugly as fuck too. A dude at my job has one and I thought it was a niggered out chevy with aftermarket brembos and shitty rims.

found the pissed off Australian

>Why did it fail?

It was expensive for Chevy that wasn't a Corvette or some sort of super-Camaro.

Oh man this ass mad post you made is rich it's like you're a shill against shills shilling by shilling yourself

The car is garbage, overpriced and gets btfo by the fucking camaro

It looks like a last-gen bailout-era car inside and out. No way to tell it apart from any shitty FWD V6 sedan aside from the /SS/ bsdge.

Wouldnt you be if GM USA axxed the Chevmaro and Vette?

Fuck sake cunt pull your head out of your ass we literally lost our entire auto industry.
IT IS A FUCKING 4 DOOR CAMARO YOU STUPID CUNT ITS LITERALLY THE SAME CHASSIS
t. guardy styling wanker

>IT IS A FUCKING 4 DOOR CAMARO YOU STUPID CUNT ITS LITERALLY THE SAME CHASSIS
Calm your tits

You're wondering a camaro chassis fucking sedan overpriced and offered little for 46k and 4 doors magically made it good?

Should have been 35k and then it wouldn't have competed with the camaro

>IT IS A FUCKING 4 DOOR CAMARO YOU STUPID CUNT ITS LITERALLY THE SAME CHASSIS
Slower than a camaro

and they replaced it with this pre bailout opel pos turd fwd na v6 shite
>waaa muh priced
yet you retards go out and buy millions of over priced teslas and fucking shit boxes

dont talk to me about taste

>keeping an australian V8 supercar stock
Your a bloody retard mate facken seriously.

Cars do need ads to sell, are you stupid?

>yet you retards go out and buy millions of over priced teslas and fucking shit boxes
>dont talk to me about taste
It's a camaro without the style of a camaro and the price of a camaro but it's a 4 door sedan

What demographic is it made to target that isn't also in the same league as the camaro?

>Wouldnt you be if GM USA axxed the Chevmaro and Vette
These cars get updated to ensure costumer interest. the Commodore will most likely be back on the Alpha chassis. it just needs an update to garner more interest (not just in America but Australia too to justify selling them since aussies themselves don't seem to interested)

>ITS LITERALLY THE SAME CHASSIS
New Camaro = Alpha
Commodore = Zeta.

Oh wow you modded your pseudo camaro. I'll just mod my own camaro and be faster too

Did you recall any ads made for that car?

'cause even though I knew about the car, I didn't see any advertising whatsoever for it.

/Thread.

>americans need to get told to buy things
America everybody!

Gee its not like people with disposable incomes will just buy whatever they want.
>It's a camaro without the style of a camaro and the price of a camaro but it's a 4 door sedan
So? The market changed, its not the cars fault people fell in love with boring, generic angry looking appliance cars.
the local government here just bungled everything since 2005 which is why we lost Mitsu, toyota and now Ford and Holden.
it doesnt need ad's to sell, americans are just retarded.

The Commodore wasn't killed. They just stopped making RWD models. The new Commodore Australia get is what we Murikans get as the new Buick Regal.

2010-2015 Camaros used the Zeta chassis which is what he's getting at.

If the Commodore returns to RWD on the Alpha chassis, it's not gonna be for 8 years, minimum.

>The market changed
Clearly not because it's not selling its literally a who? Car

psedo camero?

My car is a fucking open Omega B2/VT-VX Commodore with a Ls1 and T56 shoved in it.

fyi its the same chassis just modified heavily and got called the GM "Zeta" platform

So? It was fucking extremely popular in australia as a brand from the 70's well into the late 2000's

Shit only started declining recently as the mining boom, tradie and construction boom here stopped.

The Chevy SS isnt known by anyone. If you even mention SS in the us they think of the camaro ss

Who?

Ads sell shit nigger.

Thats GM's shitty branding

It should have been called a Pontiac G8 2017 model.

Blame GM not the car.

Blame the GFC as well not the goddamn car!

google holden kingswood and Torana you uncultured non mad max fucken cunt

You assume A: that Americans know Ausfailia makes cars, and B: Americans even give a slight shit about what happens in Ausfalia.

>The Commodore wasn't killed
Yes it was. They've completely changed the car and just decided to call it the same name.

I know a guy with one. When he first bought it one one ever asked about it because it's silver and looks kinda like the new Malibu. Then he swapped all the badging out for Holden SSV badging and deleted the resonator and now everywhere he goes people ask him what it is.

Drop the price

Put a smaller engine in so it's not a literal camaro with a body kit

Sell for 35k so it doesn't infringe on the camaro market and change the name to something that isn't known as a tag that the camaro uses because for all intents and purposes it's a camaro who?

Try to chill dude. i liked the Commie. i feel like a bit too many Australians are angered by the Falcon being replaced by the Mustang as Ford's new Global RWD platform and the Commodore going FWD and as a result some of them are being mad at the cars or platforms that replaced them.

>checked

its a aussie car it might as well have some real aussie in this facken thread.
this.

a Stock SS is a dead ss

Who?
>holden
More like holden the suspense i can't wait to learn who the fuck this car is

go waste 50k on a fucking tesla
dat get ai

dont yanks have these sitting in their dealerships tho?

I dont get it.
Your welcome to leave this thread any time cobba

I just wasted 50k on a real camaro not some camaro with a body kit

we also charge alot for exported models that just the way things are.

Of course the domestic built one (made in mexicrap or cucknadia) is gonna be cheaper
Alrite u little shit if you SERIOUSLY think a Commodore is just a camaro with a bodykit your a legit retard

>Alrite u little shit if you SERIOUSLY think a Commodore is just a camaro with a bodykit your a legit retard
This is how Australians talk, this is a normal bored Australian and not an angry one

The Chevy SS is literally a camaro with a body kit

>Its australia's fault GM Global killed the car
>waa why isnt it 35k brand new for a car that costs $50-70k+ Aud
How fucking retarded are the average yanks?
So the Camaro has 4 doors? Take your glasses off hipster

>Alrite u little shit if you SERIOUSLY think a Commodore is just a camaro with a bodykit your a legit retard
Same chassis same engine same everything except the body kit

>The Chevy SS is literally a camaro with a body kit
So you're saying Australia built the camaro? You sound like a daft cunt.

it's literally not the same chassis

>So the Camaro has 4 doors? Take your glasses off hipster
The Chevy SS is a camaro with a body kit oh yea and 2 extra doors bolted on. They just took the camaro doors and sawed then in half then glued in a second pillar to attach it

>til a Unibody = a bodykit
No wait your just a underage busrider

t. cunt
More like Daft Cuck

The joke

Your head

No its a totally different unibody you fucking retard.

The midsection is totally american.

It's a body kit glued on a camaro

It's a pseudo camaro. All the camaro including the price except a body kit

Chevy didn't want it to outsell the Camaro

>guys I got it

Let's give a camaro more visibility

Well call it the Chevy SS

Ss

For Sight Seeing

More like shit smearing

I'll just sit back and laugh at Americans while I drive my modded SS in the country it was designed and built in.

I'll just sit back and laugh at Americans while I drive my modded camaro in the country it was designed and built in.

>I'll just sit back and laugh at Australians while I drive my modded corvette in the country it was designed and built in

I'll just sit back and laugh at Europeans.

ill just sit back and laugh at australians laughing at americans laughing at australians

ill just sit back and cry while i envy all your cars while i'm stuck in my fucking W-body.

how bad are these?

ausfag here never been in one

this is the actual reality right here the people who would actually want it cant afford it

see i want one, but im poor white trailer trash

poor white aussie here i got a 20 year old commodore with a ls1 for 4k

its douable, just settle for a old model used

Literally not available here in 'murrica.

They're not too bad. Just FWD and the usual 90s interiors.

I've been wondering this for a bit now. Normies don't really see or pay attention to any kind of power and performance numbers. They don't care about such things since they see most cars as appliances. It doesn't help the SS that it looks like a normal appliance car. Oddly enough this is the same reason I want to get a Saturn Ion Redline as a DD, it's a good sleeper. Maybe one day in the future I'll get one.

Because it looks like a fat fleet spec piece of junk. Also the fake grilles, LED strips and chrome bits totally ruin the sleeper factor

Not particularly "bad" per say just really bland with clumsy land barge handling (although probably not as bad as the Crown Vic). my biggest regret is that i didn't get the Caprice. i wanted a Police'd out Holden Caprice.

1. Costs too much for what it is. Should've been no more than $35k.

2. No advertising. It's a muscle car, No? GM should've advertised it as such. Look at Dodges success with the Charger/Challenger. It's possible.

3. You can get a better version of the car for less. The CTS-V I believe had the same engine and is more luxurious than the SS.

4. Looks like a Malibu.

it's too expensive for a chevy badge but it wouldn't really make sense as a cadillac
its styling is WAY WAY too conservative, i get the sleeper aesthetic but jesus christ give it some visual personality

it's a really good modern take on the e39 m5 though so i'm alright with it. It'll drop in value like a rock then rebound a few years after production finishes

>They're not too bad. Just FWD and the usual 90s interiors.
a fwd ls1 sleeper would be hilarious though
these old commodores can TURN

even my 17 year old floppy front end grips with 245's

Is the fact that its an old LS3 a reasonable factor? Couldn't Chevy have thrown one of their newer engines in there, or would it have made a difference? My thoughts since the LS3 doesn't have VVT or cylinder deactivation.

i want one but they aren't sold in canada :(

it could have used a newer engine but I think the main selling point was that it was a RWD V8 sedan which are as scarce as hen's teeth nowadays without costing an arm and a leg. It sucks that it got 86'd

These.
It didn't look like it was worth 30 grand let alone almost 50

>basically the E39 M5
>a fucking rebadged impala

Pick one and only one you stupid fucking retard.

Chevy sold every SS that they intended to sell. The only reason that the SS ever existed was to swell production in Australia as they were shutting down. It was basically charity to the Australian plant to keep people employed long enough to find new jobs rather than just shut the doors in 2015. It's too expensive to build cars in Australia, that's why they (and everyone else) stopped doing it. Even at $50k Chevy was probably still losing money importing those cars. I'm glad they did it though, I bought one, and I love it. I sold my 550i to get it, and I have absolutely zero regrets.

You say that but there's a couple fuck heads on here with Taurus SHOs that cost more and come with a slushbox.

It's 100% that. I wanted one then I saw that price tag and went... you what m8? I don't want to overpay for a sleeper, once I realized the "SS" was it's own chassis and didn't have a shit model to subsidize the good model (THIS IS WHY THERE ARE V6 AND 4 CYL MUSTANGS) the car was dead.

>too expensive
>doesn't look special
>only the miniscule fraction of the population who would purchase a sleeper car new would be interested in it
>domestic car so it has 0% exotic import cachet

Gee, OP, I wonder why? I've never even heard of this thing and I can come up with several reasons by just using my brain.

I saw one in person at a C&C and I was wondering why someone put an LS into a malibu

That's retardedly cheap for the performance and build quality. The only problem with the price is it's mostly 17 year old inbred white males who want it, and they don't have enough money for one with 100k miles on it even.

I would buy it in a second over other similarly priced options, just because it's a sleeper as far as most people are concerned. Your average 16 year old in daddy's 3 series doesn't know the power it's capable of.

This. It's definitely worth as much as a camaro ss. No more than 40k

>I would buy it in a second over other similarly priced options, just because it's a sleeper as far as most people are concerned.
Odd why aren't you talking about the one you own if it's such a great deal and you aren't like those "inbred white males?"

They half assed it
They should have gone after boomers rather than just slapping a Chevy badge on it.

are you drunk or just severely retarded?

>GM
>build quality

Besides here on Veeky Forums I don't think this thing was even advertised. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial or ad for it. except for a die hard few nobody probably knew it existed.
all the crybabies saying why doesn't the charger come with row boat paddle (stick) should be buying one of these instead.

interior is trash, worse than many $25k midsize cars in 2017.

GM thought they could stick a v8 in a sedan and sell it for $50k. it didn't work with the g8 for 2/3rds of the price, why the fuck did they think it would work for the SS?

Chevy really fucked up. The SS should have been the new Impala. $banger, 6 cyl and the hektic V8 SS. Guarantee it would have sold better.

inbred white male detected

>Cylinder deactivation

If I were to buy a chevy I would have gotten an SS. But for $40k. Not 48.

For 50k you can get a real nice used vette

Right? That shit is dumb, and you're pretty much just waiting for a lifter to fail.