Is Christianity antisemetic?

I've seen this spouted a few times, and I'm going to give my perspective. "Judaism" today mostly just means "Phariseeism," so yes, Christianity is at odds with Jews if by that you mean Pharisees. But there is no racial issue, it's not a form of racism.

You can see the Orthodox understanding here and why we have issues with Phariseeism, but not Jews as a race (start at 39 minutes)
orthodoxbiblestudy.info/st-john-chrysostom-anti-semite/

We aren't going to change our Liturgy just because the ADL urges us to, even if Catholics have:
archive.adl.org/presrele/chjew_31/5069_31.html#.V-C3p_krJmM

>Even more inadmissible, from my point of view, is the correction of liturgical texts in line with contemporary norms. Relatively recently the Roman Catholic Church decided to remove the so-called 'antisemitic' texts from the service of Holy Friday.
His Eminence Hilarion of (Alfeyev)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Revolution-Judaea-Hyam-Maccoby/dp/080086784X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Constantine, shut up or at least put your trip back on so we can filter you. Your obvious Orthodox shilling is as stupid as ever.

Your daily reminder that the historical Jesus almost certainly WAS a Pharisee, and that the "Pharisees" of the New Testament hold an awful lot of Sadducee beliefs, which of course your pocket "experts" like Paul completely fail to catch up on, demonstrating that misunderstanding of the religion it supposedly stems from was lacking pretty much from Day 1, and that God apparently never thought to inform his church (or himself) about these things.

>Your daily reminder that the historical Jesus almost certainly WAS a Pharisee,

WEW
EWE
WEW

>Your daily reminder that the historical Jesus almost certainly WAS a Pharisee

Pic related is Pharisaic Judaism

>and that the "Pharisees" of the New Testament hold an awful lot of Sadducee beliefs
No they don't, Sadduccees completely reject asceticism, the resurrection of the dead, any anything outside the written Torah. The Pharisees of the NT brag about fasting in their prayers, they affirm the resurrection of the dead, and obviously quibble a lot about what is not in the written law but only in the oral law.

Anti-Judaism is an integral part of the history of Christian thought, but that doesn't necessarily include anti-Semitism.

dubs confirm

Read this and come back to me. Assuming, of course, you can do so without your brain exploding.

amazon.com/Revolution-Judaea-Hyam-Maccoby/dp/080086784X

Don't you think it's a little odd that Jesus quotes Hillel on several issues, from the Golden Rule to the notion that the Sabbath is made for people and not the reverse? Don't you think it's odd that the "Pharisees" get all up in his business for supposedly healing on the Sabbath, a notion that they didn't hold issue with, as he wasn't mixing medicine in the Gospel accounts? Don't you think it's odd that his opposition from the "Jewish establishment" is entirely centered around the Jerusalem area and the Priesthood, both Sadducee dominions? Don't you think it's odd that while Jesus is running around preaching a more relaxed, less ironclad notion of Jewish observance, you have other Pharisees talking about ways to keep the economy going in Sabbatical years, ways of transferring land and not just renting it out of your tribal inheritance, provisions away from a Hammurabi style eye for an eye and monetary compensation for damages; but he's totally opposed to these people?

Are you stupid, or merely ignorant?

Are you actually arguing religious scripture which is the modern equivalent of shitty fanficiton?

holy shit the humanities part of this board was a mistake

What that person was conveying, poorly, was that many experts believe that Jesus was part of the Pharisaic tradition of the 1st century, and that most of his views could be found in contemporary pharisaic rabbi.

Of course some have argued that he was closer to the Essenes, but in any case very few think he was anything but an observant Jew, perhaps with some unusual beliefs or interpretations

I think Jesus subscribed to the Oral Torah, so not really weird he and Hillel have intersecting quotes.

>Don't you think it's odd that the "Pharisees" get all up in his business for supposedly healing on the Sabbath, a notion that they didn't hold issue with, as he wasn't mixing medicine in the Gospel accounts?
It says they *resented* it, but they don't actually verbally accuse him except in one case, the one where he mixes his spit with dirt, and it's that mixing that they can object to. Some Jews to this day still point out this to demonstrate that Jesus did not keep the law.

If He was so observant, why did they crucify Him?

>but he's totally opposed to these people?
He's totally opposed because they are supreme autists with the law. Not in the sense of being literal with it (like the Sadducees), but in the sense Jews are today. Also because he says they do everything for show ("hypocrite" is Greek for "actor") and recognition. Pharisaic nitpicking and autistic rule-lawyering is one of the main reasons Mosaic codes were abolished, because there is nothing spiritual about that.

Because they various Jewish sects at the time hated each other, He was definitely not a Sadducee , the group who ran the temple and is implicated in the gospels.

As user said, the new testament often conflated the two groups when they were very different and in fact hated each other

No, he certainly wasn't a Sadducee (Matthew 23:2). But he wasn't a Pharisee either, at least in the sense of their mindset and approach to lawyering every little detail for loopholes or nitpicks. Christ's Judaism was "orthodox" in the sense he accepted the oral law, but he did not accept the Pharisee school.

Both of those sects are specifically implicated in the gospels:

>But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Well again, that is the point that some have disputed. Its not a theory I subscribe to, though its quite possible he was influenced by certain Pharisaic Rabbi, even if he did not fully subscribe to their views

Given you save and post these pics, do you have mental issues? genuinely curious

The Sadducees also challenge Jesus by trying to be smart asses with him. They ask if their is a Resurrection, then how the marriages of remarried widows be dealt with? It even says they asked that because the Sadduccees did not believe in the resurrection of the dead.

Implicated in his crucifixion, obviously the bible condemns both sects

>But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

>Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

>Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

It's more likely both were just quoting from the oral law. Besides, there are good Pharisees in the NT. Nicodemus, for example. But by and large the school was tilting more and more toward public recognition and nitpicking, and away from the spiritual mindset.

Oy gevalt are you a psychiatrist?

I don't think the bible is antisemitic. Jesus speaks against the Jews in charge of the temple, but Paul in Romans discusses how the Jews will still be saved by God.

Whether Christianity is antisemitic is a harder question. My opinion is that Christianity is nothing more than the actions of Christians, so Christianity can or can't be depending on its members.

What the fuck does that mean? Gestalt?

I'm not mocking you, seriously, you're on an anonymous tofu sculpting forum, do people often tell you that you have some sort of mental issues?

Not him, but "Oy Gevalt" is a relatively common Yiddish expression. It's kind of a generalized expression of dismay.

>1717263
Well if your going to take the bible as the literal words of Jesus rather than propaganda written decades later you can take that at face value.

Of course no properly trained historian would do that.

... Oy vey

If 'Gevalt' is pronounced 'vay' why would anyone fucking know that?

I'm telling you this dudes got issues

[mental gymnastics intensify]

((((((properly trained))))))

You're acting like someone who's experiencing extreme anguish just because someone online is making him face reality

Intriguing diagnosis Dr. Freud.

The moneychangers in the temple were probably more in cahoots with the Sadduccees (who were against the Pharisees), since they were comprised of the ruling elites, the wealthy merchants, and the priests. They people tended to be Sadduccees because Sadduceeism said you didn't have to fast or practice humility or asceticism, which they didn't really want to since they had to means to go through life having a pretty good time.

Pharisees, on the other hand, where the educated underclass. They tended to be poor, or lower middle class at best. They disdained decadence and opulence (but Christ rebuke them for showing off their ascetic piety, and commends the contrite tax collector above the Pharisee who feels like he's so perfect).

God I hope your parents at the least suggested you go to counseling

G-d is my counselor.

I just hope you're not surprised when your neighbors think you're fucking weird dude

Whatever my neighbors think of me, I love them anyway.

Shut up sperg, no one asked

Why are you arguing with a schizo

Goodnight user, I'll be praying for you.

P.S. - nice doubles

Christianity IS a Semitic religion fuck boy. Think before you ask a question.

>Is Christianity antisemetic?
No, but /pol/ desperately wishes that it was.